Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

An Important Announcement

larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 10:30:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hello DDO!

First of all, for reasons that will soon be obvious - I am not going to run for presidency again anytime soon.

For those who don't know me (I haven't done much in some months), I used to be a rather prominent debater on the site, and more recently a critic of the site's direction, as it was moving away from a focus on serious debates. I was extremely annoyed at some of the community's reaction to a tool I built which would have massively improved voting quality. After several exchanges with other site members, I gave up. It wasn't worth it, and my reputation as an internet professional was actually seriously at stake although I had literally done nothing wrong. When I challenged the administration over its selective enforcement of the terms of service, I was politely told (by practically everyone) to live with it or at most passively fight against it, because the alternative is Createdebate.

That's actually a perfectly valid argument. Two months ago there was literally not a single site on the internet dedicated to high-quality intellectual competitive debate. And DDO has by many metrics become WORSE since then.

So I built one.

I just did it in my spare time, so it should be apparent my priorities were very different from Juggle's. The design won't win any awards. The community features are basic. There are no opinions, or polls, or any of that junk. But there are team debates. There are 4-way debates (like British Parliamentary). There are random debates. There is a tabbing system in case there's enough interest to run a tournament. Coaching is built into the site. And the voting system - well, people on DDO know how much of a longstanding passion I have for improving voting. You know all those things you've been asking for and never got? Well, I've probably done it, or am very close to it.

That's the main reason why I haven't been so active here, but I have been lurking around on a bunch of debate sites, getting ideas for even more improvements. I know there are some things missing that I need to add, like the ability to categorize debates or HTML formatting, but those improvements are literally days away (in fact both are almost done already) - no more waiting for months or years. My priorities were to allow as many different kinds of debates as possible, and to set the site up to be voting-friendly. I'm not in this for money or anything - as you will see, my site doesn't even have ads, it makes a big loss for me - but I do listen when people have concerns, and unlike some community leaders, don't just dismiss them and tell people to deal with it or be banned because they "didn't ask me" to help. And I've not stopped making improvements to the site, though I promise that I will always seek the community's input before making any important changes on it. Even though the platform is considerably more versatile than DDO already, my todo list is still pretty long.

Insofar as I am able, I want any community that there is to be a safe and happy community. So if you are on DDO to troll or harass anyone, please pretend this site doesn't exist. It's a different market from the one DDO is targeting. The site is optimized for serious debates.

I'd also like to remain involved with DDO. Perhaps there could be could be crossover tournaments or the like. Perhaps Juggle will learn a thing or two from my ideas and then we can all go back to having a fun time on DDO. And if you want to challenge me to a debate, I'm still happy to do so on any site.

This is not a challenge to DDO. You don't have to choose between my alternative and DDO because it's trying to do something different. There are sites that try to imitate DDO out there *cough* HushDebate *cough*, but this is not one of them.

So - if that sounds interesting to you, come check it out here:

http://www.edeb8.com...

(just pronounce "edeb8" as "E-DEBATE" - easier to remember ;) )

You can find out more about my initiative at http://www.edeb8.com...

Don't forget that I'm right here to talk to if you have any questions, concerns, comments, problems, criticisms or feedback. I wrote every line of code in this thing from scratch so I take full responsibility for it.

Thanks again so much to everyone who has stood by me. I'm launching it here first, and will slowly start spreading the word.

Hope you have fun debating, whatever happens

Larz

PS. Anyone know any genius front-end developers willing to beautify this site for free? Let me know, I'm kinda lazy with my CSS and stuff. I would make the whole thing open source if I wasn't concerned some people might use that to discover security flaws before I do, although I've definitely done my best in my quite extensive testing, and have privacy among my top priorities.

PPS. I know some of you will hate me for doing this. I have to live with that. All I ask is that this time, you check any facts before you post them on the net. Slander is just not cool.

PPPS. I'm still writing up documentation for how to use everything on the site. As you can tell this has been a large undertaking over an extended period of time, so please forgive me this. Until then you can ask me, or you actually can't go far wrong with intelligent guesses. Some of the docs may actually be wrong as I did some last-minute revisions in testing to improve the site. Oh, and if anyone has tons of patience, can write and is willing to help, let me know.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 10:57:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Looks very cool. Even in it's early stages it certainly looks to have a lot of potential.

I really like the name too.

The more options there are on the web for online debates the better, best of luck with it.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 11:06:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So I created a user, but when I try to go to my profile, it says "user does not exist" but it will let me create a debate.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 11:06:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm already very impressed Larz. I highly reccomens other users to check this out. I'm excited to see what you have in store.
Nolite Timere
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 11:06:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/5/2013 11:06:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So I created a user, but when I try to go to my profile, it says "user does not exist" but it will let me create a debate.

oh hey, there's a forum over there..
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 11:11:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/5/2013 11:06:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So I created a user, but when I try to go to my profile, it says "user does not exist" but it will let me create a debate.

Try verifying your email.
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2013 11:11:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It is actually really impressive for just something you came up with. The lay out even looks nice. I would work on adding new features and improving the forums.

The polls and forums on here can be a way to troll people, but even then it draws people into the site. It is whether or not you want a good majority of users or a small group of serious users.

Greatly impressed with the layout though. Good job.
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:29:54 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Cool who wants to do some team debates? I am all about this new website, thanks Larz. My username is TheUltimateFighter because TUF was too short lol.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:35:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well Lars, this is why I love you. No homo.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:46:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Very....very impressive. Hit me up if you need any graphic design material.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:09:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
There's always a few issues that come up immediately after you launch anything that make you smack your head and think *how did I miss that!?*, but I do intend for this to be a pretty final launch. The features that are there are decently stable, especially the debates.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:20:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 9:19:41 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Oh God: http://www.edeb8.com...

He's a smart guy. I think he's learned his lesson, or somebody is just trolling.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:23:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 9:20:48 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 11/6/2013 9:19:41 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Oh God: http://www.edeb8.com...

He's a smart guy. I think he's learned his lesson, or somebody is just trolling.

His bio is seriously freaking me out.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:38:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 9:20:48 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 11/6/2013 9:19:41 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Oh God: http://www.edeb8.com...

He's a smart guy. I think he's learned his lesson, or somebody is just trolling.

I very sincerely doubt that.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:45:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 9:45:15 AM, Cermank wrote:
I love it. Hope to see some debates there soon!
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:45:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 9:19:41 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Oh God: http://www.edeb8.com...

You do know what this means right?
If he knows about the site, he's probably still lurking around here...

xD
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:48:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 9:45:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/6/2013 9:19:41 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Oh God: http://www.edeb8.com...

You do know what this means right?
If he knows about the site, he's probably still lurking around here...

xD

Exactly. I've been trying to figure out who he is. I'm leaning toward that guy with the question mark avatar.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:50:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 9:45:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/6/2013 9:19:41 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Oh God: http://www.edeb8.com...

You do know what this means right?
If he knows about the site, he's probably still lurking around here...

xD

This guy: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 4:58:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Love the look of it, but dislike the name... "E Deb 8," just rubs a little wrong when I spell it out. However I can imagine the amount of effort it takes to find a good domain name, that has not been taken over by advertising trolls.

I do like the voting value points; an empty vote is worth X, with feedback for the debaters it's worth 3X, and if the feedback is rated highly by random people it's worth 4X.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 5:46:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 4:58:27 PM, Ragnar wrote:
Love the look of it, but dislike the name... "E Deb 8," just rubs a little wrong when I spell it out. However I can imagine the amount of effort it takes to find a good domain name, that has not been taken over by advertising trolls.

I do like the voting value points; an empty vote is worth X, with feedback for the debaters it's worth 3X, and if the feedback is rated highly by random people it's worth 4X.

That's precisely the reason the name was chosen. Short, more memorable than "larsawesomedebatesite.com", and not taken were my only criteria.

Glad you like the voting system :)
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:35:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think your site is seriously legit. Thank you for sharing.

Although I disagree about the direction of the site. You forget how it's user base has grown enormously. It only seems like there are more spam debates, because of that. There are also more intelligent debates. You just have to go find them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
larztheloser
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 10:43:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/6/2013 10:39:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
If you make an app, I will give your site a lot of love.

One day I'd love to. I don't have any apple products though so sorry to iphone users. But it's on my long term plans.
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 11:18:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am liking the new site, though it's definitely not as functional and user friendly in certain aspects.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227