Jump to topic:

DDO most elite

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:51:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was thinking and have been intent on wanting to do this for a while. I want to set up a 32 person tourney to determine the best debater on the site. Winner gets bragging rights, and possibly a prize or something if I can figure out a way to work that out. I have been really inactive since I got a new job and trying to renovate a house, but I still enjoy reading and voting on debates within the site. I also have always been curious who is actually the best debater on the site. Granted each person would have their opinion on this.

What I would like to do is invite the best members on this site to participate in the debate, along with having or seeing if others would be interested in participating in it. Some some would be invitationals and others would be sign up

Some members off hand that I would love to see in it would be as such

Roy
Blue steel
ore elle
thett3
imabench
koopin

etc, the list would go on for a bit.

the idea I came up for how to determine who would debate what, was an idea ore elle mentioned to me.

I would send a letter to everyone who would participate in the debate with a list of around 100 topics. Each topic would have something like

strongly against
against
neutral
for
strongly for

I would them compile the debaters into a random generator that I have on my computer for the brackets. Then I would do the same for the topics. I would repeat this until I came up with 2 people who are for / against one of the topics at hand. If it came down to the point where someone would have to debate something they were against, we would try to agree or work on a topic for the first round of the tourney. After 16 people remain I would like to add a new feature to it

Same as the first where the person and topic would be randomly chosen, but then the side in which you defend would be random. So you have no say in what you are defending or the topic of choice. IT would be test to see how you could react in a debate on the fly, even supporting something you are against. It would help determine strengths in the tournament.

After it gets down to 4 people it will be a best of 3 debates series, with the final match being the same

Just curious if I went out of my way to try and structure all of this, would anyone be interested in competing. I am going to try to keep it to people with high elo and regarded as the best in the site, but after they take their spots or possibly refuse, I will then review each person individually with the help of some others to see which are most qualified to be in this. Reviewing their debates and such.

Anyone interested. ?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:08:31 AM
Yes, sounds good. All the topics should be serious ones: no sports, entertainment, or the like. Each round takes about a month, so it would be a long haul.

So few people vote on debates these days that there will inevitably be a large random factor in the outcome. 2 votes Pro vs 1 Con could just as likely have been 1 Pro vs 2 Con depending upon who happens to vote. Still, should be fun.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:10:31 AM
At 11/6/2013 1:08:31 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Yes, sounds good. All the topics should be serious ones: no sports, entertainment, or the like. Each round takes about a month, so it would be a long haul.

So few people vote on debates these days that there will inevitably be a large random factor in the outcome. 2 votes Pro vs 1 Con could just as likely have been 1 Pro vs 2 Con depending upon who happens to vote. Still, should be fun.

Im glad, i just wanted a way to start some serious debates back up. If you can think of any topics other than ones I have already planned let me know :). I am going to start trying to orchestrate this tomorrow and set it up.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:35:22 AM
So what I am going to do is start a sign up sheet. Don't add your names if you are interested just reply to my post on here so I am notified and I will add you too to if all are in agreement.

Contenders
(1) Roy
(2)

Judges

(1) Mikal
(2) Reserved for airmax hopefully.

I am going to handpick judges with this with help from ore ele probably, so just need people who are willing to compete and that are looking for really good debates.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:38:25 AM
Ehh, I've only debated Roy one time. And interacting with his perspective changed my mind, sort of.

I'd be open to it again depending on the topic, but I'm fairly sure he wouldn't be interested... although my schedule is a lot less demeaning than it was at the time we last debated.
Tsar of DDO
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:41:11 AM
At 11/6/2013 1:38:25 AM, YYW wrote:
Ehh, I've only debated Roy one time. And interacting with his perspective changed my mind, sort of.

I'd be open to it again depending on the topic, but I'm fairly sure he wouldn't be interested... although my schedule is a lot less demeaning than it was at the time we last debated.

So that a yep lol?

Trying to get this list started because it will take me at least a week to get the people for it. I was under the impression he would be down, but im sure he would let me know if he changes his mind or I read it wrong XD

all the matches and topics will be randomly generated though. That way it is a test for each debater to determine how well they interact and can handle stuff when assigned to them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:46:19 AM
At 11/6/2013 1:41:11 AM, Mikal wrote:

So that a yep lol?

It's a maybe. I'll say why below.

Trying to get this list started because it will take me at least a week to get the people for it. I was under the impression he would be down, but im sure he would let me know if he changes his mind or I read it wrong XD

all the matches and topics will be randomly generated though. That way it is a test for each debater to determine how well they interact and can handle stuff when assigned to them.

The thing is that I don't want to debate a topic I'm not interested in. I know that sounds petty and selfish, but the reason I debate is less to show off and more for entertainment.

There are a lot of topics I know enough about to put forward a credible effort, but if it's something dull or likely to result in a dull debate (like whether or not the United States should cut off aid to any middle eastern country or if the United States is an imperial power) I'm not especially inclined to take it up.

That to say this, if I knew what all the possible resolutions were, I'd be far more likely to participate in any tournament. And until I see all possible resolutions, I'm going to be understandably -albeit probably also selfishly- trepidatious and therefore disinclined to answer with a definite "yes."
Tsar of DDO
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 2:25:46 AM
At 11/6/2013 1:46:19 AM, YYW wrote:

So that a yep lol?

The thing is that I don't want to debate a topic I'm not interested in. I know that sounds petty and selfish, but the reason I debate is less to show off and more for entertainment.

There are a lot of topics I know enough about to put forward a credible effort, but if it's something dull or likely to result in a dull debate (like whether or not the United States should cut off aid to any middle eastern country or if the United States is an imperial power) I'm not especially inclined to take it up.

That to say this, if I knew what all the possible resolutions were, I'd be far more likely to participate in any tournament. And until I see all possible resolutions, I'm going to be understandably -albeit probably also selfishly- trepidatious and therefore disinclined to answer with a definite "yes."

Ill add you to the list, and when i sent out the list with all the topics, if you want to back out you can :)
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 2:26:40 AM
At 11/6/2013 1:35:22 AM, Mikal wrote:
So what I am going to do is start a sign up sheet. Don't add your names if you are interested just reply to my post on here so I am notified and I will add you too to if all are in agreement.

Contenders
(1) Roy
(2) YYW
(3)

Judges

(1) Mikal

I am going to handpick judges with this with help from ore ele probably, so just need people who are willing to compete and that are looking for really good debates.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 2:28:33 AM
At 11/6/2013 2:25:46 AM, Mikal wrote:

So that a yep lol?

Ill add you to the list, and when i sent out the list with all the topics, if you want to back out you can :)

ehh...

I think you should just post the list of topics on this thread so that we all know what we're getting into. If they're good topics, you might even attract some of the better members to debate...
Tsar of DDO
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 2:32:30 AM
At 11/6/2013 2:28:33 AM, YYW wrote:

So that a yep lol?

ehh...

I think you should just post the list of topics on this thread so that we all know what we're getting into. If they're good topics, you might even attract some of the better members to debate...

I was going to get the members and have them all submit ideas about what they wanted to debate and pick and pull from that. After they submitted it, I was going to send out the pro or con sheet that i mentioned above to help the randomizer determine good debates.

Im sure topics that will be touched in no set order

Stimulus spending
Abortion
Religion
Flat or progressive taxation
minimum wage increase
free market system

I could come up with hundreds but I want input from other people
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 3:01:58 AM
At 11/6/2013 2:32:30 AM, Mikal wrote:

So that a yep lol?

ehh...

I was going to get the members and have them all submit ideas about what they wanted to debate and pick and pull from that. After they submitted it, I was going to send out the pro or con sheet that i mentioned above to help the randomizer determine good debates.

Ok, let's talk about those.

Stimulus spending

I wasn't an econ major, but ok.

Abortion

No.

Religion

No.

No.

minimum wage increase

No.

free market system

Is there any single reasonable person in the comprehensive span of modern western society that opposes free markets? No.

Here's the thing... there was a point in my life when I really cared about all of those topics, like when I was a high school freshman or sophomore trying to figure out whether I was going to be a Republican like my parents and most of my friends, a Democrat like my teachers and some of my friends, or a libertarian like the kids I would smoke weed with. That was then. Now, I'm far more interested in questions like: "It is justified that the United States unilaterally coerce other states to promote American economic interests." or "NSA surveillance of US citizens is justified." or "The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was morally acceptable." or "The Tea Party has irreparably harmed the Republican Party." ...or things like that.

I might also be interested in debating...

"The process of suburbanization contributed to the ethical decline of the American people."

or

"it is morally impermissible for a government to make drugs illegal."

or

"Intelectual property is theft."

or

"The Democratic Party was irreparably harmed by the Johnson administration."

or

"Hillary would have been better."

or

"Obama's AfPack plan caused more problems then it solved."

or

"The United States is justified in using unilateral force of any kind necessary to rectify human rights abuses by state or non-state actors."

or

"National sovereignty is due only to governments who respect the human rights of both their citizens and others in their vicinity."

or

"Corporations located in first world countries which cause environmental degradation in third world countries ought to be held legally liable for those damages in their respective first world countries, and be made to finance all cleanup efforts for harm they case."

or

"Christians who dogmatize theology (by focusing on abortion, homosexuality or birth control) disgrace Christendom."

Here's what you need to do... come up with resolutions, not topics, that are well worded and controversial. They don't have to be your own resolutions. They can be from any number of high school or college debate leagues. There are hundreds of them out there. Pick fifteen or so.
Tsar of DDO
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 3:07:27 AM
At 11/6/2013 3:01:58 AM, YYW wrote:
At 11/6/2013 2:32:30 AM, Mikal wrote:

So that a yep lol?

ehh...

Ok, let's talk about those.

Stimulus spending

I wasn't an econ major, but ok.

Abortion

No.

Religion

No.

No.

minimum wage increase

No.

free market system

Is there any single reasonable person in the comprehensive span of modern western society that opposes free markets? No.

Here's the thing... there was a point in my life when I really cared about all of those topics, like when I was a high school freshman or sophomore trying to figure out whether I was going to be a Republican like my parents and most of my friends, a Democrat like my teachers and some of my friends, or a libertarian like the kids I would smoke weed with. That was then. Now, I'm far more interested in questions like: "It is justified that the United States unilaterally coerce other states to promote American economic interests." or "NSA surveillance of US citizens is justified." or "The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was morally acceptable." or "The Tea Party has irreparably harmed the Republican Party." ...or things like that.

I might also be interested in debating...

"The process of suburbanization contributed to the ethical decline of the American people."

or

"it is morally impermissible for a government to make drugs illegal."

or

"Intelectual property is theft."

or

"The Democratic Party was irreparably harmed by the Johnson administration."

or

"Hillary would have been better."

or

"Obama's AfPack plan caused more problems then it solved."

or

"The United States is justified in using unilateral force of any kind necessary to rectify human rights abuses by state or non-state actors."

or

"National sovereignty is due only to governments who respect the human rights of both their citizens and others in their vicinity."

or

"Corporations located in first world countries which cause environmental degradation in third world countries ought to be held legally liable for those damages in their respective first world countries, and be made to finance all cleanup efforts for harm they case."

or

"Christians who dogmatize theology (by focusing on abortion, homosexuality or birth control) disgrace Christendom."

Here's what you need to do... come up with resolutions, not topics, that are well worded and controversial. They don't have to be your own resolutions. They can be from any number of high school or college debate leagues. There are hundreds of them out there. Pick fifteen or so.

going to need way more than 15 with the structure I am laying out with this. I can find some issues at hand and word them specifically for a resolutions and post it if you wish. I understand the dilemma with wanting to debate certain topics and I will try to appeal to it as much as possible to, but I want the final rounds to be random as well.

It will invoke a new type of test for the debaters and test them to see if they can defend stuff they may not be well versed with.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 4:43:00 AM

So that a yep lol?

I agree entirely. I debate for entertainment as well which is primarily why most of my debates center around philosophy and entertainment. Occasionally I will take interest in a serious debate, but I notice in a lot of tournaments theh can get really boring.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:18:21 AM
A lot of the people on the list you gave aren't super active anymore. I can't remember the last time Koopin did a debate and bluesteel's almost left the site entirely.

Needless to say I'd be down for it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:53:59 AM
You know, I'd honestly like to do it on Lars' new site. It has a team debate function that could be a great preliminary.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 10:37:52 AM
I would do it--but I am not sure if I'm the type of debater you would want. I have only been here for just over 2 months. But, if you'll have me, I'll judge or participate or be an alternate or whatever you need.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:23:49 PM
At 11/6/2013 9:18:21 AM, Zaradi wrote:
A lot of the people on the list you gave aren't super active anymore. I can't remember the last time Koopin did a debate and bluesteel's almost left the site entirely.

Needless to say I'd be down for it.

Ill def add you as well
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:24:31 PM
At 11/6/2013 10:37:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I would do it--but I am not sure if I'm the type of debater you would want. I have only been here for just over 2 months. But, if you'll have me, I'll judge or participate or be an alternate or whatever you need.

You do really well on all your debates, I actually as going to ask you after I got out of the 4k elo category. Ill add you as well
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:25:55 PM
At 11/6/2013 2:26:40 AM, Mikal wrote:

Contenders
(1) Roy
(2) YYW
(3) Zaradi
(4) Bsh1

Judges

(1) Mikal

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:27:09 PM
At 11/6/2013 4:43:00 AM, TUF wrote:

So that a yep lol?

I agree entirely. I debate for entertainment as well which is primarily why most of my debates center around philosophy and entertainment. Occasionally I will take interest in a serious debate, but I notice in a lot of tournaments theh can get really boring.

That is why I am going to try to pull topics from the contenders that the participants can agree upon. I am sure some rounds will not fall like that, but I will do my best to keep it entertaining.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:27:54 PM
At 11/6/2013 12:25:55 PM, Mikal wrote:

Contenders
(1) Roy
(2) YYW
(3) Zaradi
(4) Bsh1
(5) imabench

Judges

(1) Mikal

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:29:20 PM
At 11/6/2013 12:24:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 11/6/2013 10:37:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:

You do really well on all your debates, I actually as going to ask you after I got out of the 4k elo category. Ill add you as well

Oh wow--thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 12:33:50 PM
Will people face each other based on ELO rankings, i.e. highest elo vs. lowest elo?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:14:09 PM
At 11/6/2013 12:27:54 PM, Mikal wrote:

Contenders
(1) Roy
(2) YYW
(3) Zaradi
(4) Bsh1
(5) imabench

Judges

(1) Mikal

I am only in if I see the resolutions first.
Tsar of DDO
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:16:43 PM
At 11/6/2013 1:14:09 PM, YYW wrote:

Contenders
(1) Roy
(2) YYW
(3) Zaradi
(4) Bsh1
(5) imabench

Judges

(1) Mikal

That is why I said Id keep you added and if you wanted to drop out after the resolutions,
I would just remove you off the bracket. I am going to wait to we get like 16 people and start polling for some ideas, and ask some other members on some topics they would like to see. Will be like 100 of them.

Im then going to send a linked email with all the resolutions with a preference of 1 to 5 on each and see how that works. Ones that receive almost a majority 1 or 2 , I will remove and find another
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 1:27:58 PM
At 11/6/2013 1:16:43 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 11/6/2013 1:14:09 PM, YYW wrote:

Contenders
(1) Roy
(2) YYW
(3) Zaradi
(4) Bsh1
(5) imabench

Judges

(1) Mikal

That is why I said Id keep you added and if you wanted to drop out after the resolutions,
I would just remove you off the bracket. I am going to wait to we get like 16 people and start polling for some ideas, and ask some other members on some topics they would like to see. Will be like 100 of them.

Im then going to send a linked email with all the resolutions with a preference of 1 to 5 on each and see how that works. Ones that receive almost a majority 1 or 2 , I will remove and find another

Yeah, I'm just remaining you.
Tsar of DDO