Jump to topic:

NDRE Lv.1 (Strict)

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 12:15:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
THIS IS ONLY A REFERENCE TO THE NRDE LV.1(Strict).

NDRE: Niqashian Debating Regulations and Etiquette.

---- Start of document ----

NDRE LV.1 (Strict)

CRITICAL RULES:

Preface: Any violation of the rules in the "Critical Rules" section results in a seven-point loss, unless one or more violations were committed by both participants(Pro and Con). If the latter occurs, the seven-point penalty is ignored.

A.1.1 Plagiarism is not allowed. Plagiarism is not only copying/pasting exact passages but it also could involve copying/pasting material with a few changes while using the same methods of presentation of the original author such as linguistic style, similar diagrams, same sources, etc.

* To reference large passages, it is advised to use block quotations with proper references.

A.1.2 Images which are screenshots of passages of text are not allowed, unless the text within the images/screenshots, after being added to the text, does not exceed the character limit allowed to the debater by more than 100 characters.

A.1.3 Providing more than five images per round is not allowed as pictures can themselves be considered further arguments and evidence, even if they didn't contain any text.

A.1.4 Providing more than three videos per round is not allowed as videos can themselves be considered further arguments and evidence. However, the total amount of minutes in all the video(s) should be less than 30 minutes as a total to be accepted.

A.1.5 Using URL-shortners or any form of URL hiding is not allowed. Citations should be present in the text itself and not in the comments, as some readers will be discouraged to find those citations in the comments section, especially in debates that have many comments.

A.1.6 If Con initiated the debate, then Pro cannot introduce any new arguments in the final round but say "As agreed according to the NDRE Lv.1".

A.1.7 The first participant to forfeit is to receive a seven-point loss as forfeiting is strictly banned.

A.1.8 The instigator of the debate is not allowed to introduce any new conditions on the format of the debate(Burden of proof, acceptance round, etc) in rounds other than the first round. The contender is prohibited from introducing any conditions on the format of the debate which contradict the ones already present in the opening statement of the instigator. However, new additions by the contender are not prohibited but they are not obligatory to his opponent as he did not initiate the debate.

A.1.9 Any other clearly defined and well-stated conditions in the opening statement of the debate must be treated as critical rules if the instigator of the debate clearly stated that they should be followed.

ETIQUETTE STANDARDS:

Preface: Any violation of the standards in this section results in the loss of the conduct point. However, the voter is allowed to go beyond that penalty if the situation permits.

A.2.1 Each participant should thoroughly read the citations of her/his opponent before jumping into wrong conclusions and accusations. Any false accusation about any sources that is proven to be false is considered a violation of the etiquette standards.

A.2.2 Personal insults are not allowed if there is no justification that would suffice such personal attacks. This, however, doesn't apply on debates where the competitors are meant to insult each other, or the debate itself is about someone to begin with.

A.2.3 The use of the comment section to argue against someone(whether participant or not) by any of the participants while the debate is in the debating or voting period is considered a violation as both participants(pro and con) are supposed to only debate each other and stop debating when the debate is over.

A.2.4 Intentional lies and blatant fabrications that are clearly exposed are not allowed from both participants, and if any are discovered, the perpetrator is to be penalized for such attempts.

A.2.5 "Poisoning the well" by calling your opponent a liar/deceiver and considering everything he says to be untrustworthy is prohibited and goes against the etiquette standards. This is because it is simply making many genetic fallacies that target a speaker in a personal manner as he is mostly the source of his words.

---- End of document ----

I'll read any suggestions and comments on this, but the above rules/standards remain constant. If I'm convinced to change anything, I'll make another document and publish it as a new topic on the forums so I can reference it in my debates.

My aim is to not repeat the same rules each time I start a debate. I hope that others follow this document so that debating here becomes a tad more professional.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 2:43:43 PM
Just so you know you can't force anybody to those rules
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 12:28:41 PM
At 11/9/2013 2:43:43 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
Just so you know you can't force anybody to those rules

I can't, but I can force anyone who accepts my debate to accept it based on such rules.