Jump to topic:

How to write an LD case?

i0wnwithstr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 3:34:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hello, I've recently been assigned a LD case. I know the basics I just need some contentions for Affirmative and Negative. This is my Affirmative so far, if its missing something, please state it:

I affirm that economic sanctions ought not be used to achieve foreign policy objectives. To begin with I will define the following terms:
Economic sanctions as defined by bussinessdictionary.com, "Economic penalties, such as stoppage of trade and financial transactions, imposed upon a country to force compliance with another country's demands."
Foreign Policy, as defined by Merriam-Webster.com, "the policy of a sovereign state in its interaction with other sovereign states."
Objectives, as defined by Merriam-Webster.com, "a strategic position to be attained or a purpose to be achieved by a Military Operation."
The value of my case is Justice, as defined by Merriam-Webster.com, "to prove or show to be just, right, or reasonable."
My criterion will be Quality of Life, as defined by wordnet.princeton.edu, "Your personal satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) with the cultural or intellectual conditions under which you live." The Quality of Life is hoped to be increased by preventing the worsening of it by Economic Sanctions.
I will have two contentions.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 4:02:58 PM
http://www.debate.org...

Seems like you're not the only noob who wants others to do your homework
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 4:05:11 PM
At 1/1/2010 3:34:50 PM, i0wnwithstr wrote:
Hello, I've recently been assigned a LD case. I know the basics I just need some contentions for Affirmative and Negative. This is my Affirmative so far, if its missing something, please state it:

I affirm that economic sanctions ought not be used to achieve foreign policy objectives. To begin with I will define the following terms:
Economic sanctions as defined by bussinessdictionary.com, "Economic penalties, such as stoppage of trade and financial transactions, imposed upon a country to force compliance with another country's demands."
Foreign Policy, as defined by Merriam-Webster.com, "the policy of a sovereign state in its interaction with other sovereign states."
Objectives, as defined by Merriam-Webster.com, "a strategic position to be attained or a purpose to be achieved by a Military Operation."
The value of my case is Justice, as defined by Merriam-Webster.com, "to prove or show to be just, right, or reasonable."
My criterion will be Quality of Life, as defined by wordnet.princeton.edu, "Your personal satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) with the cultural or intellectual conditions under which you live." The Quality of Life is hoped to be increased by preventing the worsening of it by Economic Sanctions.

well for starters how does quality of life uphold justice?
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 5:06:28 PM
I should point out that nobody outside of the U.S. seems to have a clue what LD is. I've done parliamentary, Canadian parliamentary, British parliamentary, worlds and a few others, but we never dabbled into American formats, so don't take it for granted that everyone understands the formats.

That being said; wikipedia exists for a reason.
i0wnwithstr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 7:08:54 PM
At 1/1/2010 4:08:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Just leave him be. Writing a case is something that he has to learn on his own. If he wants help, he should ask his coach, not us.

It's winter break and it's due monday. I have no way to contact my coach. I know how to write one I just don't know exactly what to state in it.
i0wnwithstr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 7:10:01 PM
At 1/1/2010 4:05:11 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
At 1/1/2010 3:34:50 PM, i0wnwithstr wrote:

well for starters how does quality of life uphold justice?

Sorry, I don't know, thats the problem.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2010 9:50:40 PM
At 1/1/2010 7:08:54 PM, i0wnwithstr wrote:
Just leave him be. Writing a case is something that he has to learn on his own. If he wants help, he should ask his coach, not us.

It's winter break and it's due monday. I have no way to contact my coach. I know how to write one I just don't know exactly what to state in it.

Just out of curiosity, how long ago were you assigned this project?
i0wnwithstr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 12:35:15 AM
At 1/1/2010 9:50:40 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/1/2010 7:08:54 PM, i0wnwithstr wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how long ago were you assigned this project?

Eh, last friday.
johngriswald
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 5:22:47 AM
At 1/2/2010 12:35:15 AM, i0wnwithstr wrote:
Eh, last friday.

Who assigned you it? What organization do you work for?

ANSWER THE QUESTIONS!
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2010 8:06:31 AM
I'm going to be arguing the same topic at my next tournament; though honestly why are you going to waste time asking other people for help?

Their are millions of practice debates going on for inspiration; a quick google search would lead to countless chat rooms with other ideas or potential arguments.

If you have to "get ideas" then their much easier ways then posting here and hoping somebody writes it out for you.

Though this is just something I want to say from personal experience; a person who doesn't write their own case will almost never do well in a real debate and they will always be at a disadvantage for they don't know their case through and through.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 11:19:35 PM
This is what you need:

1. A value justification. Why justice?
2. A criterion justification. Why does your C uphold justice or attain justice?
3. How do we measure who wins the round?
4. why do we choose your definitions over others?
5. YOU NEED CONTENTIONS, as in actual offense for the round.

start reading on the topic, there's plenty of topic lit anywhere you go.
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...