Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 12:57:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/9/2013 6:29:53 AM, Nzrsaa wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Thanks.

Ok, I might not vote in this debate if I can't stay impartial, but I can share a few observations with you, if that's what you are asking for.

First off, I really liked your writing style. You have very simple, clear language that really helps make your argument readable. I checked it for plagiarism, like I do any time I see writing that good - obviously, I didn't find anything. So you did great there.

You were respectful, concise, and I did not see any reason to score "against" your argument other than the Arguments score. I would have liked to have seen links to your sourcing, though. That makes them useful to readers. But what you did was fine for me.

The problem was the argument: you used arguments that I see a lot on this site, and that are pretty easy to negate. ( You will see rebuttals like you saw in this debate, sometimes less polite, tho.)

I think the problem here is trying to prove that this or that god is "real" when the most important defining feature of the deity is that it seems to be completely absent and undetectable. It's easy to derail this thread into "Are gods real?" so I don't want to get off-subject, but essentially the reason logic and science cannot prove that gods exist is because if they ARE real, then they want to hide. Their ability to hide is better than our ability to draw them out, or debate that they are "just right there..."

This is why I do not like doing religious debates and talking religion in general, unless I am exposing my own beliefs to review. (Which is what you did, too.. yay us!) It just seems mean, and I do not like to separate myself from other people that I like in that way. People can hit me all day long about my religion (Daoism), but I don't want to attack back.

But anyway, you will face an uphill climb in trying to attract votes in that debate. I hope you might think about debating other topics, tho. Ones that don't put you in the position of trying to catch a god that wants to hide on camera, lol. (Rhetorically speaking)
Nzrsaa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 2:07:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/9/2013 12:57:42 PM, Beverlee wrote:
At 11/9/2013 6:29:53 AM, Nzrsaa wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Thanks.

Ok, I might not vote in this debate if I can't stay impartial, but I can share a few observations with you, if that's what you are asking for.

First off, I really liked your writing style. You have very simple, clear language that really helps make your argument readable. I checked it for plagiarism, like I do any time I see writing that good - obviously, I didn't find anything. So you did great there.

You were respectful, concise, and I did not see any reason to score "against" your argument other than the Arguments score. I would have liked to have seen links to your sourcing, though. That makes them useful to readers. But what you did was fine for me.

The problem was the argument: you used arguments that I see a lot on this site, and that are pretty easy to negate. ( You will see rebuttals like you saw in this debate, sometimes less polite, tho.)

I think the problem here is trying to prove that this or that god is "real" when the most important defining feature of the deity is that it seems to be completely absent and undetectable. It's easy to derail this thread into "Are gods real?" so I don't want to get off-subject, but essentially the reason logic and science cannot prove that gods exist is because if they ARE real, then they want to hide. Their ability to hide is better than our ability to draw them out, or debate that they are "just right there..."

This is why I do not like doing religious debates and talking religion in general, unless I am exposing my own beliefs to review. (Which is what you did, too.. yay us!) It just seems mean, and I do not like to separate myself from other people that I like in that way. People can hit me all day long about my religion (Daoism), but I don't want to attack back.

But anyway, you will face an uphill climb in trying to attract votes in that debate. I hope you might think about debating other topics, tho. Ones that don't put you in the position of trying to catch a god that wants to hide on camera, lol. (Rhetorically speaking)

Hi!
Thanks Beverlee, that is really helpful. I completely agree - to 'prove' God exists is an extraordinarily difficult task at best. I also agree that those arguments are common on debate.org, and counter-arguments are readily available. Also, I have seen that the voters don't necessarily vote on who was the better debater; rather what they themselves believe.
Thanks for the feedback
God Bless