Jump to topic:

New Game/book I am working on

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 2:55:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For the past 2 years, I have been coding and writing the plot for a new game I want to try and get out in the far future. Essentially it is a zombie game ( no surprise but occurs after earth is completely over run). Already have a paton on the initial idea itself, so I am going to throw a small teaser from the main story line and see if you guys can give input on ways it could be improved upon. I always take ideas into consideration. The entire map and world has been completed already, just want some ideas on things I could add or remove.

Basic Plot

Earth suffered from an outbreak and was almost entirely over run by zombies. For years people tried to fortify cities, outposts, and houses to live through the infection. A vast majority of people were able to hold out and withstand the infection but as time went by, outposts were slowly but surely over run. Resources were becoming scarce. Water, food, and shelter was hard to come by and even animals were starting to suffer from the infection. Even medicine was running thin. In some places where zombies are not so heavily gathered, it is possible to grow fruits and vegetables, and you can occasionally find some wild life that was not infected. There are still some survivors who try to survive in small groups in remote areas, but almost everyone whom is alive knows there are two major places where survivors gather.

Manhattan

This the is the main spot for the remaining survivors. As soon as the outbreak occurred, a group from the military blew up the bridges surrounding the city and cut off any way of entry other than boats. Over the years since the outbreak a giant wall has been used to fortify the city, and a giant harbor was built on the east side of the city as a docking point for entry and exiting. Basically to leave the city you have to use boats and everyone that enters or wants to leave has to go through the harbor. Scans are run to check for infected people. If infected you are denied entry. Nasa and the renaming government officials within the city started and moved the headquarters of space exploration into the central part of the city. After many years of trying to survive and working on ways to gather resources, exploration to other planets has become possible. Teams are sent to other planets to scout for colonization efforts and to gather resources to bring back to earth. Plant X is the vocal point of the program. People have been sent here on shuttles and have started go try to colonize this planet. People usually come to Manhattan as a way to try and escape earth. Many survivors volunteer to go to the new planet to try and start a new life. The primary group who blew up the bridges started to run the city by choice of the people. The squad itself became the council and leaders of the city.

Tokyo/Japan

This is the only other rumored place where survivors are fleeing too. Little is know about the efforts or extent of how many people are there. The same story however is often used. Initial routes into the country itself were cut off and it was turned into a floating fortress. People whom have came from there only offered little words. Tokyo itself was fortified heavy and other parts of japan were somewhat safe as well. People would either go into the main city or try to live in the outskirts, but the effects from the virus were minimal and armed squadrons patrolled the continent heavily looking for infected. They elected an emperor to oversea the island itself and no one knows his identity. People just say he is harsh but fair. He has no tolerance for the infected but will go out his way to protect the people under him. There was a story about his son being bit, and the emperor shooting him the moment he was bitten. That is where the rumors of him being strict come in. From that point anyone who shows positive for the infected is sentenced to death if he finds out.

Eden

This is the name given to the planet that the group from Manhattan is trying to colonize. The main city was where colonization began was named Vantiel. Little is know about the extent and danger of this planet. It is confirmed the infection found its way here and is turning some of the people from the colony an they are in turn are causing the wildlife to turn dangerous as well. The wild life on the planet is still a mysterious as well. What people on earth may regard as monsters are in fact a reality on this planet. Huge bear looking creatures roam the forest, and a group of people were attacked by what was described as a gigantic octopus in a effort to get water.

Forgive grammar , typed this on my phone
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 3:02:01 PM
At 11/9/2013 2:55:48 PM, Mikal wrote:
For the past 2 years, I have been coding and writing the plot for a new game I want to try and get out in the far future. Essentially it is a zombie game ( no surprise but occurs after earth is completely over run). Already have a paton on the initial idea itself, so I am going to throw a small teaser from the main story line and see if you guys can give input on ways it could be improved upon. I always take ideas into consideration. The entire map and world has been completed already, just want some ideas on things I could add or remove.

Basic Plot

Earth suffered from an outbreak and was almost entirely over run by zombies. For years people tried to fortify cities, outposts, and houses to live through the infection. A vast majority of people were able to hold out and withstand the infection but as time went by, outposts were slowly but surely over run. Resources were becoming scarce. Water, food, and shelter was hard to come by and even animals were starting to suffer from the infection. Even medicine was running thin. In some places where zombies are not so heavily gathered, it is possible to grow fruits and vegetables, and you can occasionally find some wild life that was not infected. There are still some survivors who try to survive in small groups in remote areas, but almost everyone whom is alive knows there are two major places where survivors gather.

Manhattan

This the is the main spot for the remaining survivors. As soon as the outbreak occurred, a group from the military blew up the bridges surrounding the city and cut off any way of entry other than boats. Over the years since the outbreak a giant wall has been used to fortify the city, and a giant harbor was built on the east side of the city as a docking point for entry and exiting. Basically to leave the city you have to use boats and everyone that enters or wants to leave has to go through the harbor. Scans are run to check for infected people. If infected you are denied entry. Nasa and the renaming government officials within the city started and moved the headquarters of space exploration into the central part of the city. After many years of trying to survive and working on ways to gather resources, exploration to other planets has become possible. Teams are sent to other planets to scout for colonization efforts and to gather resources to bring back to earth. Plant X is the vocal point of the program. People have been sent here on shuttles and have started go try to colonize this planet. People usually come to Manhattan as a way to try and escape earth. Many survivors volunteer to go to the new planet to try and start a new life. The primary group who blew up the bridges started to run the city by choice of the people. The squad itself became the council and leaders of the city.

Tokyo/Japan

This is the only other rumored place where survivors are fleeing too. Little is know about the efforts or extent of how many people are there. The same story however is often used. Initial routes into the country itself were cut off and it was turned into a floating fortress. People whom have came from there only offered little words. Tokyo itself was fortified heavy and other parts of japan were somewhat safe as well. People would either go into the main city or try to live in the outskirts, but the effects from the virus were minimal and armed squadrons patrolled the continent heavily looking for infected. They elected an emperor to oversea the island itself and no one knows his identity. People just say he is harsh but fair. He has no tolerance for the infected but will go out his way to protect the people under him. There was a story about his son being bit, and the emperor shooting him the moment he was bitten. That is where the rumors of him being strict come in. From that point anyone who shows positive for the infected is sentenced to death if he finds out.

Eden

This is the name given to the planet that the group from Manhattan is trying to colonize. The main city was where colonization began was named Vantiel. Little is know about the extent and danger of this planet. It is confirmed the infection found its way here and is turning some of the people from the colony an they are in turn are causing the wildlife to turn dangerous as well. The wild life on the planet is still a mysterious as well. What people on earth may regard as monsters are in fact a reality on this planet. Huge bear looking creatures roam the forest, and a group of people were attacked by what was described as a gigantic octopus in a effort to get water.

This probably isn't the best forum channel for this...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 3:06:04 PM
At 11/9/2013 3:02:01 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Basic Plot

Manhattan

Tokyo/Japan

Eden

This probably isn't the best forum channel for this...

Was going to move it to the games section but all I saw was mafia, so said screw it
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:23:50 PM
For the past 2 years, I have been coding and writing the plot for a new game I want to try and get out in the far future. Essentially it is a zombie game ( no surprise but occurs after earth is completely over run). Already have a paton on the initial idea itself, so I am going to throw a small teaser from the main story line and see if you guys can give input on ways it could be improved upon. I always take ideas into consideration.

Seeing as how zombie apocalypse scenarios is something im kinda familiar with ill give this a look over

The entire map and world has been completed already, just want some ideas on things I could add or remove.

Basic Plot

Earth suffered from an outbreak and was almost entirely over run by zombies. For years people tried to fortify cities, outposts, and houses to live through the infection. A vast majority of people were able to hold out and withstand the infection but as time went by, outposts were slowly but surely over run. Resources were becoming scarce. Water, food, and shelter was hard to come by and even animals were starting to suffer from the infection. Even medicine was running thin. In some places where zombies are not so heavily gathered, it is possible to grow fruits and vegetables, and you can occasionally find some wild life that was not infected.

Seems reasonable.

There are still some survivors who try to survive in small groups in remote areas, but almost everyone whom is alive knows there are two major places where survivors gather.

Manhattan

This the is the main spot for the remaining survivors. As soon as the outbreak occurred, a group from the military blew up the bridges surrounding the city and cut off any way of entry other than boats. Over the years since the outbreak a giant wall has been used to fortify the city, and a giant harbor was built on the east side of the city as a docking point for entry and exiting. Basically to leave the city you have to use boats and everyone that enters or wants to leave has to go through the harbor. Scans are run to check for infected people. If infected you are denied entry.

I can buy it

Nasa and the renaming government officials within the city started and moved the headquarters of space exploration into the central part of the city.

Ok now youre getting into weird territory

After many years of trying to survive and working on ways to gather resources, exploration to other planets has become possible. Teams are sent to other planets to scout for colonization efforts and to gather resources to bring back to earth.

Ok Wait a minute. Its a really hard sell to convince readers that Earth was so decimated by zombies with resources so scarce that only rural outposts even had a chance to survive, while at the same time claiming that humanity still has a functioning interstellar space program that is somehow still fully functioning.

Planet X is the vocal point of the program. People have been sent here on shuttles and have started go try to colonize this planet. People usually come to Manhattan as a way to try and escape earth. Many survivors volunteer to go to the new planet to try and start a new life.

I can actually buy that. The TV show Terranova was based on it.

The primary group who blew up the bridges started to run the city by choice of the people.

You might need to expand on this and explain why thats relevant at all.

The squad itself became the council and leaders of the city.

Tokyo/Japan

I can buy that.

Eden

This is the name given to the planet that the group from Manhattan is trying to colonize. The main city was where colonization began was named Vantiel. Little is know about the extent and danger of this planet. It is confirmed the infection found its way here and is turning some of the people from the colony an they are in turn are causing the wildlife to turn dangerous as well.

Logically i can see how that is plausible, but we are way into science-fiction territory at this point.

The wild life on the planet is still a mysterious as well. What people on earth may regard as monsters are in fact a reality on this planet. Huge bear looking creatures roam the forest, and a group of people were attacked by what was described as a gigantic octopus in a effort to get water.

Ok NOW we are way into science-fiction territory

If you could give us a year when this all happens then that could clear up a couple issues. Like what are we looking at here, 2100, 2500, or something in the year 3000 or more?

Specifying a year this all happens could make it easier for people to accept a society overrun by a zombie apocalypse yet still have a functioning and very advanced space program.

Other then that, 2 questions

1) What kind of a game is this exactly? Is this an adventure game like Telltale Games's The Walking Dead that focuses around the development of a set of characters, or is this more like a grand strategy re-build humanity type game?

2) What is the goal of this game? Simply to survive or something else?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 4:47:43 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:23:50 PM, imabench wrote:
For the past 2 years, I have been coding and writing the plot for a new game I want to try and get out in the far future. Essentially it is a zombie game ( no surprise but occurs after earth is completely over run). Already have a paton on the initial idea itself, so I am going to throw a small teaser from the main story line and see if you guys can give input on ways it could be improved upon. I always take ideas into consideration.

Seeing as how zombie apocalypse scenarios is something im kinda familiar with ill give this a look over

The entire map and world has been completed already, just want some ideas on things I could add or remove.

Basic Plot

Earth suffered from an outbreak and was almost entirely over run by zombies. For years people tried to fortify cities, outposts, and houses to live through the infection. A vast majority of people were able to hold out and withstand the infection but as time went by, outposts were slowly but surely over run. Resources were becoming scarce. Water, food, and shelter was hard to come by and even animals were starting to suffer from the infection. Even medicine was running thin. In some places where zombies are not so heavily gathered, it is possible to grow fruits and vegetables, and you can occasionally find some wild life that was not infected.

Seems reasonable.

There are still some survivors who try to survive in small groups in remote areas, but almost everyone whom is alive knows there are two major places where survivors gather.

Manhattan

This the is the main spot for the remaining survivors. As soon as the outbreak occurred, a group from the military blew up the bridges surrounding the city and cut off any way of entry other than boats. Over the years since the outbreak a giant wall has been used to fortify the city, and a giant harbor was built on the east side of the city as a docking point for entry and exiting. Basically to leave the city you have to use boats and everyone that enters or wants to leave has to go through the harbor. Scans are run to check for infected people. If infected you are denied entry.

I can buy it

Nasa and the renaming government officials within the city started and moved the headquarters of space exploration into the central part of the city.

Ok now youre getting into weird territory

After many years of trying to survive and working on ways to gather resources, exploration to other planets has become possible. Teams are sent to other planets to scout for colonization efforts and to gather resources to bring back to earth.

Ok Wait a minute. Its a really hard sell to convince readers that Earth was so decimated by zombies with resources so scarce that only rural outposts even had a chance to survive, while at the same time claiming that humanity still has a functioning interstellar space program that is somehow still fully functioning.

Planet X is the vocal point of the program. People have been sent here on shuttles and have started go try to colonize this planet. People usually come to Manhattan as a way to try and escape earth. Many survivors volunteer to go to the new planet to try and start a new life.

I can actually buy that. The TV show Terranova was based on it.

The primary group who blew up the bridges started to run the city by choice of the people.

You might need to expand on this and explain why thats relevant at all.

The squad itself became the council and leaders of the city.

Tokyo/Japan

I can buy that.

Eden

This is the name given to the planet that the group from Manhattan is trying to colonize. The main city was where colonization began was named Vantiel. Little is know about the extent and danger of this planet. It is confirmed the infection found its way here and is turning some of the people from the colony an they are in turn are causing the wildlife to turn dangerous as well.

Logically i can see how that is plausible, but we are way into science-fiction territory at this point.

The wild life on the planet is still a mysterious as well. What people on earth may regard as monsters are in fact a reality on this planet. Huge bear looking creatures roam the forest, and a group of people were attacked by what was described as a gigantic octopus in a effort to get water.

Ok NOW we are way into science-fiction territory

If you could give us a year when this all happens then that could clear up a couple issues. Like what are we looking at here, 2100, 2500, or something in the year 3000 or more?

Specifying a year this all happens could make it easier for people to accept a society overrun by a zombie apocalypse yet still have a functioning and very advanced space program.

Other then that, 2 questions

1) What kind of a game is this exactly? Is this an adventure game like Telltale Games's The Walking Dead that focuses around the development of a set of characters, or is this more like a grand strategy re-build humanity type game?

2) What is the goal of this game? Simply to survive or something else?

I was trying to turn into post modern scifi meets infection. Just due to copy right issues with basic plots involving zombies. This has never been touched.

There are 2 directions i can go with it.

One of which being similar to a mass effect type of game

the other being a mmo( would be much harder)

Not sure if you ever played wow, but i could explain more of the features if you have played a giant mmo before. Only way it would make sense is if you were aware of what I was trying to improve upon
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 5:17:43 PM
At 11/9/2013 4:47:43 PM, Mikal wrote:

I was trying to turn into post modern scifi meets infection. Just due to copy right issues with basic plots involving zombies. This has never been touched.

Not sure if you ever played wow, but i could explain more of the features if you have played a giant mmo before. Only way it would make sense is if you were aware of what I was trying to improve upon

Stick with Mass Effect, but again what year does this take place in realistically?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 5:35:21 PM
At 11/9/2013 5:17:43 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/9/2013 4:47:43 PM, Mikal wrote:

Stick with Mass Effect, but again what year does this take place in realistically?

I would have to pull out my folder, but I believe I have it set for 2094
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 7:12:22 PM
At 11/9/2013 3:06:04 PM, Mikal wrote:
Was going to move it to the games section but all I saw was mafia, so said screw it

Thats why mafia needs its own forum.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227