Jump to topic:

The Ideas Thread!

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:21:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ive been thinking about making this activity for a while but Ive only now not been lazy enough to do this. So heres how this works: I start off by posting ideas of updates I would like to see be made to DDO, and other people can leave their name next to ideas they like, as well as say some ideas they think would be cool to. This is kind of like a poll, but I couldnt put it in the polls section since people can only leave one vote for an option, which is why I had to stick it here.

So lets get started. Again, leave your name next to ideas you like and you are welcome to add ideas of your own:

1 - Automatic deletion of debates that have been forfeited multiple times by both sides

2 - Automatic wins on debates where one side forfeits multiple rounds on a debate (Score would say 'won by forfeit' and not an actual number score)

3 - Removal of the Entire Opinions Section

4 - Ability to tag people in threads so that they get a notification to come to a thread or know that they were mentioned in a thread

5 - Automatic removal of polls that already exist / were already made

6 - Deletion of polls that dont get more then 10 votes after a week

7 - Cap limit on how many polls a person can make in a day (3)

8 - Separation of won debates on a persons profile, so that each profile will specify how many debates that person won were actual wins, and which ones were just forfeited by the other side

9 - DDO clubs, where people could have a badge on their profile of which club they are a part of. (There could be a club of Atheists, a club of Santorum supporters, A club of people interested primarily in philosophy, etc.)

10 - Deletion of all accounts that havent been active for over 2 years

11 - Deletion of all accounts that have less then 4 debates and have been inactive for a year

12 - A new forum made exclusively for Mafia that will be separate from the Games forum (So that people who want to talk about video games can actually talk about it in the games section without the thread being swallowed up by the mafia games)

13 - The outright deletion of the Funny forum (Seriously, why was that even made in the first place?)

14 - An 'Idiot flag' on each person's profile that people can click on that signals if they think that member is an idiot, where the number of flags can be seen by the public but the identities of people who click on the flag remain anonymous (The more flags a person gets on their profile, the bigger the indication that people think he/she is an idiot)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:24:43 PM
At 11/10/2013 10:21:29 PM, imabench wrote:
Ive been thinking about making this activity for a while but Ive only now not been lazy enough to do this. So heres how this works: I start off by posting ideas of updates I would like to see be made to DDO, and other people can leave their name next to ideas they like, as well as say some ideas they think would be cool to. This is kind of like a poll, but I couldnt put it in the polls section since people can only leave one vote for an option, which is why I had to stick it here.

So lets get started. Again, leave your name next to ideas you like and you are welcome to add ideas of your own:

1 - Automatic deletion of debates that have been forfeited multiple times by both sides

Good policy.

2 - Automatic wins on debates where one side forfeits multiple rounds on a debate (Score would say 'won by forfeit' and not an actual number score)

Support.

Please, please yes. Make it its own site or something

4 - Ability to tag people in threads so that they get a notification to come to a thread or know that they were mentioned in a thread

Agree

8 - Separation of won debates on a persons profile, so that each profile will specify how many debates that person won were actual wins, and which ones were just forfeited by the other side

9 - DDO clubs, where people could have a badge on their profile of which club they are a part of. (There could be a club of Atheists, a club of Santorum supporters, A club of people interested primarily in philosophy, etc.)

I don't see the point of this one, I like looking at old accounts from time to time, especially people who were really good and have moved on.

11 - Deletion of all accounts that have less then 4 debates and have been inactive for a year

12 - A new forum made exclusively for Mafia that will be separate from the Games forum (So that people who want to talk about video games can actually talk about it in the games section without the thread being swallowed up by the mafia games)

13 - The outright deletion of the Funny forum (Seriously, why was that even made in the first place?)

14 - An 'Idiot flag' on each person's profile that people can click on that signals if they think that member is an idiot, where the number of flags can be seen by the public but the identities of people who click on the flag remain anonymous (The more flags a person gets on their profile, the bigger the indication that people think he/she is an idiot)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:27:20 PM
At 11/10/2013 10:24:43 PM, thett3 wrote:

I don't see the point of this one, I like looking at old accounts from time to time, especially people who were really good and have moved on.

The point of it would be to clean the site up of old accounts so that percentile can actually be relevant again.... I mean if you win one debate on this site then that automatically puts you in the 60th percentile or so just because there are so many inactive accounts on DDO
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:32:56 PM
At 11/10/2013 10:27:20 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/10/2013 10:24:43 PM, thett3 wrote:

The point of it would be to clean the site up of old accounts so that percentile can actually be relevant again.... I mean if you win one debate on this site then that automatically puts you in the 60th percentile or so just because there are so many inactive accounts on DDO

That's true but I think removing them from the leaderboard would be better than outright deletion
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:37:56 PM

I like this idea and it would clear the recently finished debates section from what essentially amounts to spam and makes finding good debates more difficult.

I like this idea, since members unaware of posting their debates to the unvoted thread often end up with an undeserved tie.

This isn't going to happen.

It's a cool idea as long as members don't go out of their way to tag everyone. I'd hate to see this become another way to mass PM in the way some members do to get votes.

Reasonable idea.

Reasonable idea.

Probably a good idea to decrease spam.

Interesting idea worth exploring.

Interesting idea. Badges are something being worked and considered for some specific things, but this would be an interesting additional use for them.

Not really sure I agree with this.

11 - Deletion of all accounts that have less then 4 debates and have been inactive for a year.

Same as above.

This has been considered and it might be something that is done in the future considering that a decent amount of members on the site play mafia exclusively.. and it might be a good way to encourage more mafia players to come to DDO to specifically play mafia.

It doesn't negatively effect anything, so I don't see the point in removing in.

Definitely not going to happen.
Debate.org Moderator
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:44:01 PM
Idea time?

The things we've already been promised.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:46:32 PM
At 11/10/2013 10:44:01 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Idea time?

The things we've already been promised.

This is mostly for fun, im not expecting any of these things to actually become updates in the future (though not gonna lie, it would be nice)

yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:05:07 AM
#14 was the best idea out of the entire list
30 Important Life Lessons
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:11:29 AM

I am in 100 percent support of the idiot flat. You can even make a leaderboard with the most hits.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:44:12 AM

Yes!

I don't like the opinions section, but I suppose other people do, so, live and let live, I guess.

Nice.

I definitely like the idea of ranking people against active accounts only, but I don't think we have to delete the old accounts to accomplish that.

If we're not actually deleting the accounts, we can let everybody, old accounts and new, fall off of the leaderboard after six months of inactivity. If you become active again, your old stats get restored.

I like being able to rep people (give them good reputation) for good posts. I don't mind the ability to give people bad rep, but I'm not likely to use it. Over at freeratio.org, people can turn off their rep. That is, instead of having "Reputation +1533" under your name, you can have something that indicates that you aren't publishing your rep.

To keep people from artificially boosting each other's reputation, you can't rep someone again until you've repped ten other people.

Being able to rep people makes me a better internet citizen. I'll click the REP button much more often than I'll actually stop to post a compliment, "Hey, well said!" And if too many people posted such compliments, it would bog down threads. Repping people never bogs down threads.

It's good to be able to leave a comment explaining why you repped someone.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:59:38 AM
NEW ITEMS:

15. The ability to screen who can accept your debate according to how many times they have forfeited.

There are different ways it could be done. Maybe the program could give the instigator her choice of how to do it.

- Absolute number: "You may not accept this debate if you have forfeited more than three rounds."

- Ratio: "You may not accept this debate if you have forfeited over 3% of your debate rounds."

- Time forgiveness: "You may not accept this debate if you have more than three forfeited rounds in the last three months."

16. There should be a switch so that you can go to the Voting Period Debates page and see only debates which have no forfeited rounds.

I think this might greatly improve voting. People who want to vote probably don't want to wade thru one forfeited debate after another in the attempt to get to one worth reading and voting on.

17. Display the number of rounds in each debate on the Voting Period Debates page.

I have little interest in voting on five round debates, and no interest in voting on one round debates. I don't like having to click thru to get this information.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 4:54:42 AM
At 11/11/2013 1:59:38 AM, wiploc wrote:
NEW ITEMS:

15. The ability to screen who can accept your debate according to how many times they have forfeited.

There are different ways it could be done. Maybe the program could give the instigator her choice of how to do it.

- Absolute number: "You may not accept this debate if you have forfeited more than three rounds."

- Ratio: "You may not accept this debate if you have forfeited over 3% of your debate rounds."

- Time forgiveness: "You may not accept this debate if you have more than three forfeited rounds in the last three months."

I'm sure this is especially important to you given the frequency with which you debate. Oh, but you haven't debated in three months... The problem, whiploc, is that you fail as consistently as you do categorically to recognize the reality of what you think causes an actual harm to the site. Said more clearly, even though you think it is the case that forfeited debates are a substantial problem and therefore harm the site, not only is that not the case but there are other, exceedingly more relevant problems which are of far higher orders of concern.

16. There should be a switch so that you can go to the Voting Period Debates page and see only debates which have no forfeited rounds.

I think this might greatly improve voting. People who want to vote probably don't want to wade thru one forfeited debate after another in the attempt to get to one worth reading and voting on.

Or you could just scroll through and see... or you could just deal with it. See my comment above about other exceedingly more relevant problems which are of far higher orders of concern.

17. Display the number of rounds in each debate on the Voting Period Debates page.

I have little interest in voting on five round debates, and no interest in voting on one round debates. I don't like having to click thru to get this information.

Oh, and again... there are exceedingly more relevant problems which are of far higher orders of concern.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 4:59:22 AM

No.

No.

Good.

Ok.

OR, automatic removal of entire polls section. It causes more harm than good.

Or, how about removal of all polls.

Or, make the creation of any further polls an impossibility.

Did it ever occur to you that a person might forfeit because they know they were going to loose. If so, how is it then fair to the person who put forward the effort to present an argument so good that it caused another person to forfeit. Consider that reality.

#ddofags

I assume you meant inactive.

Ehh... ok.

Ok.

Behold, the Games section.

Yes.

I like the idea, but my metric for "idiot' might be a bit too encompassing...
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 9:58:47 AM
YYW, I understand that you don't like me. I don't know or care why. I don't appreciate your insults and bluster. Please quit talking to me.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 11:24:38 PM
At 11/11/2013 9:58:47 AM, wiploc wrote:
YYW, I understand that you don't like me.

I have no problem with you, personally. It's how you involve yourself in the forum and it's dealings.

I don't know or care why.

Because you think you have done no wrong and therefore any assessment I would have to the contrary would be consequently invalid? Perhaps you should avail yourself to see beyond yourself.

I don't appreciate your insults and bluster.

Insults? Bluster? Please, tell me of my insults and bluster I have said at your expense.

Please quit talking to me.

If you posit an idea that would be damaging to the forum as a whole, I will shoot that idea down every single time for the aforementioned reason. If this bothers you, you can either try to quibble with me and reach an understanding or you can silently deal with it. If the former, good luck. If the latter, so be it. But, from our interaction, take this away: No idea which would harm the site if implemented will go undressed. It's just that simple.