Jump to topic:

Debates where opponent ditches debate

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:00:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have noticed a troubling trend where in the middle of a debate my opponent will just drop out of the debate. This is aggravating because debates are supposed to be completed. How often in real life debates does one of the contenders just walk off the stage?

In real life, if you just leave a contest then you lose that contest no matter how many points you had up to that point. What is worse is that in many of the debates in which this happens, nobody votes in that debate making the debate a draw, and hurting your debating record.

So I have a solution to this problem. I am thinking that in any case in which my opponent ditches the debate, I will vote on that debate, and give myself 1 vote for conduct. What do the rest of you think?
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:55:00 PM
Yer solution is to be allowed to vote on yer own debates. Voting used to be like that; it didn't work out.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:57:59 PM
At 11/11/2013 1:00:15 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
I have noticed a troubling trend where in the middle of a debate my opponent will just drop out of the debate. This is aggravating because debates are supposed to be completed. How often in real life debates does one of the contenders just walk off the stage?

In real life, if you just leave a contest then you lose that contest no matter how many points you had up to that point. What is worse is that in many of the debates in which this happens, nobody votes in that debate making the debate a draw, and hurting your debating record.

So I have a solution to this problem. I am thinking that in any case in which my opponent ditches the debate, I will vote on that debate, and give myself 1 vote for conduct. What do the rest of you think?

If he drops out you will automatically get conduct if your debate is looked at. Most members on here are very thorough with awarding conducts for FFS. If you no one is voting on the debate, put it in the unvoted section on the forums.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:57:59 PM
At 11/11/2013 1:00:15 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

If he drops out you will automatically get conduct if your debate is looked at. Most members on here are very thorough with awarding conducts for FFS. If you no one is voting on the debate, put it in the unvoted section on the forums.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 1:59:19 PM
Where did you come from Mikal and how did you get up to one of the highest site-wide ELO's in three months?
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 2:05:53 PM
At 11/11/2013 1:59:19 PM, Noumena wrote:
Where did you come from Mikal and how did you get up to one of the highest site-wide ELO's in three months?

More like 4. I didn't have a job when I moved recently so I literally had 10 or 20 debates open at one time lol. Recently I just got a job and can't do that anymore sadly with time constraints.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 2:11:28 PM
At 11/11/2013 2:05:53 PM, Mikal wrote:

More like 4. I didn't have a job when I moved recently so I literally had 10 or 20 debates open at one time lol. Recently I just got a job and can't do that anymore sadly with time constraints.

I had a similar experience when I first joined about 2 1/2 years ago. No job and light school duties = a few dozen debates each month for the first six months.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 2:16:33 PM
At 11/11/2013 2:11:28 PM, Noumena wrote:

I had a similar experience when I first joined about 2 1/2 years ago. No job and light school duties = a few dozen debates each month for the first six months.

I think my second week, I literally had 20 open at one time. I am far to busy to keep that pace up, but still engage in them from time to time.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 3:57:11 PM

That's essentially what I did when I first joined. I didn't really have any time obligations so within like the first two months I had done 100 or so debates. Then I got burnt out of debating on here and now I'm too lazy to even write an argument xD
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 2:48:22 PM
At 11/11/2013 3:57:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:

That's essentially what I did when I first joined. I didn't really have any time obligations so within like the first two months I had done 100 or so debates. Then I got burnt out of debating on here and now I'm too lazy to even write an argument xD

I still wish I had more time lol. To busy now though sadly
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 2:48:22 PM
At 11/11/2013 3:57:11 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I still wish I had more time lol. To busy now though sadly