Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

LD Tournament on DDO

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 9:10:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
INFO:

Hello LDers! I have been considering hosting an LD tournament on DDO for some time now, and so I reached out to several LDers who I know on the site, and TheOncomingStorm and Oppai_Lover both graciously volunteered to help me plan and moderate this tournament. I will post rules here, and make a second post for a sign-up. Thanks--and please participate!

RULES:

Alright, here are our condensed rules:

Rules: Going off the NFL, which is fairly traditional, Mods have simplified the rules to the following:

Burdens: Each debater as the burden to show his/her side of the resolution is more valid as a general principle. Each debater must present arguments relevant to the resolution and may not debate the worthiness of the resolution itself. Consequently, "kritiks" and "off-topic cases" are prohibited. Debaters must clash with one another.

Structure of Cases: A value and a criterion must each either be offered or agreed upon by debaters during the debate. A criterion may not exclude all potential arguments by the opposing side. For example, it would be impermissible to use a Criterion of "Ensuring Universal Healthcare" to affirm the topic: "The United States should afford its citizens universal healthcare." The criterion is meant to be a weighing mechanism; yet, if all potential opposing arguments are excluded from the criterion, the criterion cannot compare the arguments--it cannot weigh anything. At least one contention should also be provided by each debater in support of their arguments. The affirmative should offer definitions; the negative retains the right to offer counterdefinitions, but there is a presumption in favor of the affirmative's definitions unless the negative can (a) provide a defensible alternative, and (b) provide a compelling and valid reason to reject the affirmative's definition.

Structure of Rounds:
The affirmative should offer their case before the negative does so. There should be a round for acceptance as well. No new arguments or responses may be offered in R4. New evidence in R4 is permissible, so long as it does not introduce a new argument, response, or claim into the debate. There will be no CX.

R1: Acceptance
R2: Aff Case
R2: Neg Case and Neg Rebuttal
R3: Aff Rebuttal
R3: Neg Rebuttal
R4: Aff Rebuttal
R4: Neg Rebuttal

Other: Any questions about potential breach of LD custom or of the specific rules laid out here should be brought to the attention of the moderators. The moderates, as a panel, reserve the right to make the final calls of any such questions. LD custom is as important as the rules.

Bracket: There will be 16 debaters in a sudden-death bracket (no down-bracket) paired on a high-low system based on ELO rankings.

Prohibitions:
off-cases, kritiks, presumption arguments, tautologies, teleologies, theory, plans, and counterplans.

Tournament Info: To ensure that true-blue LD topics are being debated, we have come up with a list of topics that debaters can choose from at each stage of the tournament. It is a sudden death tournament, with high-low pairings based on ELO. Additionally: (1) no copying and pasting from other DDO debates on the same or similar topics; (2) R1 and R2 topics can only be used in one debate, so it's first come, first served--once a topic is chosen by one pair, it's off-limits; (3) for R3 and R4 Mods randomly assign sides (Aff/Neg) to debaters, so they will have to show true debate skill.

R1 Topic List:

Uniformity in education leads to mediocrity
Civil disobedience is justified in a democracy
The U.S. ought to extend to non-citizens accused of terrorism the same constitutional due process rights granted to citizens
The possession of nuclear weapons is immoral
A government has the obligation to lessen the economic gap between its rich and poor citizens
Affirmative action programs to remedy the effects of discrimination are justified
Inaction in the face of injustice makes an individual morally culpable
That the protection of human rights should have a higher priority in shaping America's foreign policy
In the U.S., the principle of jury nullification is a just check on government
A just government should provide healthcare to its citizens
Development of natural resources ought to be valued above protection of the environment
A nation's citizens' rights ought to take precedence over the nation's security

R2 Topic List:

Targeted killing is a morally permissible foreign policy tool
Justice requires the recognition of animal rights
In a democracy, voting ought to be compulsory
Oppressive government is more desirable than no government
The Restriction of civil liberties in the U.S. for the sake of combatting terrorism is justified
Members of the U.S. Congress ought to value the national interest above constituent's interests when the two are in conflict
Military conscription is unjust
States ought not possess nuclear weapons
A just society ought not use the death penalty as a form of punishment
Terminally ill patients have the right to die when and how they choose
Competition is superior to cooperation as a means of achieving excellence
In the U.S., juveniles charged with violent felonies ought to be treated as adults in the criminal justice system

R3 Topic: The U.S. is justified in intervening in the internal political processes of other countries to attempt to stop human rights abuses

R4 Topic: On balance, violent revolution is a just response to political oppression

Thank you to everyone--especially my co-moderators. Please sign up!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

Competitors (16 available slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Judges (closed for now--PM me if you're interested):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm
4. (reserved)
5. (reserved)
6. (reserved)

Alternates (4 open slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.

Thanks to everyone! Best of luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 9:24:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

Competitors (14 available slots):

1. NorthDebater
2. LtCmdrData
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Judges (closed for now--PM me if you're interested):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm
4. (reserved)
5. (reserved)
6. (reserved)

Alternates (4 open slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.


Thanks to everyone! Best of luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 9:25:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We plan on starting the rounds within the next 10-20 days. Just so everyone is aware of the timescale...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 9:27:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 9:24:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

Competitors (14 available slots):

1. NorthDebater
2. LtCmdrData
3. travisrice66
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Judges (closed for now--PM me if you're interested):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm
4. (reserved)
5. (reserved)
6. (reserved)

Alternates (4 open slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.


Thanks to everyone! Best of luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2013 9:42:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 9:27:28 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:24:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

Competitors (14 available slots):

1. NorthDebater
2. LtCmdrData
3. travisrice66
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Judges (closed for now--PM me if you're interested):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm
4. YYW
5. (reserved)
6. (reserved)

Alternates (4 open slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.


Thanks to everyone! Best of luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 7:59:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I might join after my tournament on Saturday, depending.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 11:08:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1

Right.

2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

So... who are these people?
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 1:24:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 11:08:08 AM, YYW wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1

Right.

2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

So... who are these people?

They are fellow LDers I've debate against on DDO. They're good debaters and qualified in LD to judge.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 1:30:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 1:24:50 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/21/2013 11:08:08 AM, YYW wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1

Right.

2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

So... who are these people?

They are fellow LDers I've debate against on DDO. They're good debaters and qualified in LD to judge.

I was just curious... don't think I've ever interacted with them before.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 1:32:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 1:30:20 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/21/2013 1:24:50 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/21/2013 11:08:08 AM, YYW wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1

Right.

2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

So... who are these people?

They are fellow LDers I've debate against on DDO. They're good debaters and qualified in LD to judge.

I was just curious... don't think I've ever interacted with them before.

Oppai isn't super active, and Storm is newish.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 1:33:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/20/2013 9:42:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:27:28 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:24:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

Competitors (14 available slots):

1. NorthDebater
2. LtCmdrData
3. travisrice66
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Judges (closed for now--PM me if you're interested):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm
4. YYW
5. thett3
6. (reserved)

Alternates (4 open slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.


Thanks to everyone! Best of luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Anti-atheist
Posts: 213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 4:10:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is ld like LSD? If it is sign me up i took LSD last night tripped HARD
Anti-atheist

Registered genius
Certified butt-f*cker

imabench for fuhrer '13
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 5:11:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 4:10:41 PM, Anti-atheist wrote:
Is ld like LSD? If it is sign me up i took LSD last night tripped HARD

lol...apparently the effects haven't worn off.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 5:17:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 4:10:41 PM, Anti-atheist wrote:
Is ld like LSD? If it is sign me up i took LSD last night tripped HARD

Oh, good, he's back.

Now we have a somewhat sophisticated idiot on this site.
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2013 7:40:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 1:33:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:42:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:27:28 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:24:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

Competitors (14 available slots):

1. NorthDebater
2. LtCmdrData
3. travisrice66
4. Raisor
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Judges (closed for now--PM me if you're interested):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm
4. YYW
5. thett3
6. (reserved)

Alternates (4 open slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.


Thanks to everyone! Best of luck!
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 2:22:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/21/2013 7:40:47 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 11/21/2013 1:33:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:42:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:27:28 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:24:19 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/20/2013 9:23:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Here is the sign up:

Moderators (closed):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm

Competitors (11 available slots):

1. NorthDebater
2. LtCmdrData
3. travisrice66
4. Raisor
5. Writerselbe
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.

Judges (closed for now--PM me if you're interested):

1. Bsh1
2. Oppai_Lover
3. TheOncomingStorm
4. YYW
5. thett3
6. (reserved)

Alternates (4 open slots):

1.
2.
3.
4.


Thanks to everyone! Best of luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 2:23:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 2:07:07 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
I could be plugged in for a spot, I guess. Rd 3 and 4 are significantly more constrained than the others.

LD requires debaters to adapt to the resolution and to what side they are assigned. We (the Mods) wanted to give people some choice as to the topics, but we also wanted to challenge the debaters the way LD really does...that was our solution. Thanks for signing up!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 3:19:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 3:10:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Why the balls do we have to have a value and criterion?

lol

I guess that we're (the mods) traditionalists. You could always just agree to your opponent's V/C framework and then just make args that link.

I mean, it's not like they're killer--the V and C matter but what matters more is, in my mind, offense. Get more offense, win the round.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 3:21:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 3:11:35 PM, Zaradi wrote:
And why does the neg get an extra rebuttal?

we didn't want to mess with word count, and we didn't want to give aff and extra 10,000 characters more than Neg to make his case.

I mean, in LD Neg and Aff speak for the same amount of time, so we wanted to give equal amounts of characters to both sides.

You should definitely join though, Zaradi, if you want. You'd do well, and it's hard to find debaters qualified to be in this tourney b/c it's limited to LD.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 4:31:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 3:21:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/22/2013 3:11:35 PM, Zaradi wrote:
And why does the neg get an extra rebuttal?

we didn't want to mess with word count, and we didn't want to give aff and extra 10,000 characters more than Neg to make his case.

I mean, in LD Neg and Aff speak for the same amount of time, so we wanted to give equal amounts of characters to both sides.

You should definitely join though, Zaradi, if you want. You'd do well, and it's hard to find debaters qualified to be in this tourney b/c it's limited to LD.

Like I get what you're trying to do but you're essentially giving the neg way too much power in this with the extra round. The way that LD has it is that the aff's final round is kinda crucial (hence the extra round over Neg), but Neg has mroe speaking time to compensate. Now with the extra round for neg it gives the neg more speaking time.

It's probably the biggest problem with trying to do LD over the internet because it's just super hard to set up. If everyone had a webcam I'd suggest doing it on video so you could get the times right and just have them post up the text of what they said in like an external link but that's a little harder to organize.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
themohawkninja
Posts: 816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 6:10:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What do you mean by off-cases, plans, and counterplans?
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 6:17:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 6:10:03 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
What do you mean by off-cases, plans, and counterplans?

Different kinds of non-traditional cases that are used in LD and don't have the traditional V/C format. Most are taken from Policy.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
themohawkninja
Posts: 816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 6:21:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 6:17:51 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/22/2013 6:10:03 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
What do you mean by off-cases, plans, and counterplans?

Different kinds of non-traditional cases that are used in LD and don't have the traditional V/C format. Most are taken from Policy.

I've never been done any formal debating outside of my forensics class and this site, so I am completely ignorant to 'LD', 'V/C', and what the difference between a 'traditional' and 'non-traditional' case is.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 6:25:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 6:21:14 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
At 11/22/2013 6:17:51 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/22/2013 6:10:03 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
What do you mean by off-cases, plans, and counterplans?

Different kinds of non-traditional cases that are used in LD and don't have the traditional V/C format. Most are taken from Policy.

I've never been done any formal debating outside of my forensics class and this site, so I am completely ignorant to 'LD', 'V/C', and what the difference between a 'traditional' and 'non-traditional' case is.

Then I don't have enough characters in a text box to explain to you everything you're asking about xD
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2013 7:42:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/22/2013 4:31:13 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/22/2013 3:21:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/22/2013 3:11:35 PM, Zaradi wrote:
And why does the neg get an extra rebuttal?

we didn't want to mess with word count, and we didn't want to give aff and extra 10,000 characters more than Neg to make his case.

I mean, in LD Neg and Aff speak for the same amount of time, so we wanted to give equal amounts of characters to both sides.

You should definitely join though, Zaradi, if you want. You'd do well, and it's hard to find debaters qualified to be in this tourney b/c it's limited to LD.

Like I get what you're trying to do but you're essentially giving the neg way too much power in this with the extra round. The way that LD has it is that the aff's final round is kinda crucial (hence the extra round over Neg), but Neg has mroe speaking time to compensate. Now with the extra round for neg it gives the neg more speaking time.

It's probably the biggest problem with trying to do LD over the internet because it's just super hard to set up. If everyone had a webcam I'd suggest doing it on video so you could get the times right and just have them post up the text of what they said in like an external link but that's a little harder to organize.

You could try the following format:

R1: Acceptance
R2: AC - 8,000 characters
R2: NC/1NR - 8,000 characters
R3: 1AR - 4,000 characters
R3: 2NR - 8,000 characters
R4: 2AR - 4,000 characters
R4: Neg makes no arguments

That would more accurately reflect true LD. I guess we would accept either format. If you would be willing to do the tournament with this format, go ahead. I don't see any reason why round format should be a barrier. Get your opponent to agree, and then just use this template instead.

Would that solve the problem?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...