Jump to topic:

Rap Battle Qualifiers.

feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:06:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
OK after enlisting the help of random.org and thoroughlly confusing myself, I've got the line ups for the qualifiers sorted.

1st round: ___________ Pro_________________ Con

_____________________ Vi_Veri_____vs._______GeoLaureate8
_____________________ Omelet_____vs._______NotPurpleHaze
_____________________ BellumQuodPacis_vs.___The L Werd
_____________________ snelld7_____vs._______I-am-a-panda
_____________________ untitled_entity_vs._____Sylux

2nd round:____________Pro_________________ Con

_____________________I-am-a-panda__vs.____ BellumQuodPacis
_____________________Sylux_______vs.______Omelet
_____________________The L Werd__vs.______Vi Veri (lol, honestly this was random)
_____________________NotPurpleHaze__vs.____untitled_entity
_____________________GeoLaureate8___vs.____snelld7

Pro must set up the debate and challenge Con for 1st round by 12th Jan at the very latest.
Two round battles unless agreed by both parties.
16 bars minimum of rapping.
There is no specific theme unless agreed by both.
Beats preferred but not required.
Audio through youtube link required, video preferred.
Have fun.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:08:53 PM
There will be 4 phases of competition: qualifiers, play-offs, semis and the final.

Those who lose both qualifiers will be out, those who win both will go straight to the semis and those with 1 win will play-off against each other for a place in the semis.

If four people all win 2 qualifiers then the play-off stage is void. In the unlikely event that five people all win two qualifiers each, I'll think of something else lol.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:10:01 PM
Voters are of course free to vote using whatever criteria they see fit but this is my suggested format for reinterpreting the vote categories for these battles. All of these categories are quite broad and cover several aspects.

Argument = Lyrics. 3 pts.

This covers the actual lyrical content and meaning of what is being rapped as well as the way the verse is constructed. Does it make sense? Is it relevant? Is it witty? Is it creative and original? Does it use imagery and poetic devices like metaphor and alliteration? Are the rhymes consistent? Are rhymes just one syllable at the end of a line or are there intricate and multi-syllabic (feminine) rhymes within every bar? Extra kudos will also be given to genuine freestyle (improvised lyrics) attempts.

Sources = Flow 2 pts.

This includes the general vocal delivery and performance, the rhythms in which the lyrics are used, the overall tone of the voice and the way tones and textures are used as well as the timing which is harder to judge without a beat or backing track (people will get some props from me just for attempting to ride a beat, especially if they pull it off well).
When considering the flow of a contestant consider the complexity of rhythms they use, is it simple back and forth nursery rhyme chanting or is it more creative in it's variation and complexity or even it's sparse simplicity. Also listen to how expressive the voice is, does it rise and fall with a melodic pattern or is it a dull monotone? How are rhythm and tone used for emphasis?

Spelling and grammar = Presentation 1 pt.

How well were battle rounds presented? Did the competitor seem confident? Was the video and audio quality acceptable? Did one competitor make the extra effort of rapping to a beat? Were editing techniques, special effects, costume, theatrical props or drama used in amusing or cool ways? Were the words clear and audible?

Conduct 1 pt.

Obviously insults are standard for rap battles and profanity is permitted (though not encouraged) in this competition but the conduct vote should be reserved for crossing a line into bullying. I'd like to see moms, girlfriends, kids etc. kept out of this too if possible. Mentioning race or cultural stereotypes is fine, derogatory racial epithets or ridiculing religious beliefs is not.
Assuming noone bes an arse, this category should go to the one with the most/best disses.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:28:03 PM
Interesting match ups.

Beats can be borrowed right?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:30:29 PM
At 1/5/2010 4:28:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Interesting match ups.

Yeah of course, original beats could certainly earn extra credit with me though.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:52:33 PM
Hey feverish - Have you given any thought to my suggestion about double elimination? I think that since there's only 10 qualifiers, it won't take so long to do it. Plus, I think it's the most fair and ensures that everyone gets to battle at least twice with 2 different people. I think if put to a vote, most people would want a double elimination (so you can set it up with a winners/losers bracket)... what say ye?
President of DDO
snelld7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:53:09 PM
At 1/5/2010 4:30:29 PM, feverish wrote:
At 1/5/2010 4:28:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Interesting match ups.

Yeah of course, original beats could certainly earn extra credit with me though.

Original beats are pushin it a bit.. I think I'll save the beats for the playoffs etc. (That is if I qualify)
What happens when an irresistable force meets an immovable object? It goes around, DUH!!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:55:47 PM
At 1/5/2010 4:53:40 PM, snelld7 wrote:
Do the people on the left go first?

Uh, yeah that's what being Pro implies :p
President of DDO
snelld7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:57:37 PM
At 1/5/2010 4:55:47 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/5/2010 4:53:40 PM, snelld7 wrote:
Do the people on the left go first?

Uh, yeah that's what being Pro implies :p

lol Ya, sorry.. I asked before reading.. silly me ;-)
What happens when an irresistable force meets an immovable object? It goes around, DUH!!
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 5:11:56 PM
At 1/5/2010 4:52:33 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Hey feverish - Have you given any thought to my suggestion about double elimination? I think that since there's only 10 qualifiers, it won't take so long to do it. Plus, I think it's the most fair and ensures that everyone gets to battle at least twice with 2 different people. I think if put to a vote, most people would want a double elimination (so you can set it up with a winners/losers bracket)... what say ye?

Yeah, I certainly did think about it but to be honest I was still a bit baffled even after looking it up on wiki. As far as I can see this is actually pretty similar. Everyone battles at least twice and if you lose twice your out. The play-offs are in place of the winner and loser brackets and I think this will work out slightly quicker.
snelld7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 5:24:03 PM
Did you specify how much time to give between rounds inside the debate? 2 days I'd say would e good time.. 24 hours is pushin it (not because of time to come up with a rap but for maybe coming up with time to find time to record it, time to put it on youtube etc.) and 3 days is just a bit 2 long
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 5:33:12 PM
At 1/5/2010 5:11:56 PM, feverish wrote:

Yeah, I certainly did think about it but to be honest I was still a bit baffled even after looking it up on wiki. As far as I can see this is actually pretty similar. Everyone battles at least twice and if you lose twice your out. The play-offs are in place of the winner and loser brackets and I think this will work out slightly quicker.

Yeah, that's what I meant by double elimination: 2 losses and you're out (instead of 1). Glad to hear it! And yes, I think 3 days is a better amount of time unless specified.
President of DDO
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 5:42:10 PM
At 1/5/2010 5:33:12 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/5/2010 5:11:56 PM, feverish wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant by double elimination: 2 losses and you're out (instead of 1). Glad to hear it! And yes, I think 3 days is a better amount of time unless specified.

Yeah it's only if four people get through with zero losses (which I think is unlikely) that some people with one loss will miss out and they will still have had two battles.

And yeah, these will only be 2 round battles to start with so they should move along pretty quick even if people take the full 3 days.
snelld7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 6:07:47 PM
Alrighty, forgot it was only two rounds.
Mangani
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 10:27:26 PM
Good luck to all ya rappers!

And as far as beats, some great battle beats:

Lean Back- Terror Squad
Dead Wrong- Notorious B.I.G.
Whoa- Black Rob
Shook Ones- Mobb Deep
Deep Cover- Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg
Simon Says- Pharaoh Monch
Got Yourself a Gun- Nas

I think these are dope battle beats. I think Lean Back and Dead Wrong are easy for anyone to rap to, and make any battle sound hard right off the bat. Just some suggestions...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 7:43:50 AM
At 1/5/2010 10:27:26 PM, Mangani wrote:
Good luck to all ya rappers!

And as far as beats, some great battle beats:

Lean Back- Terror Squad
Dead Wrong- Notorious B.I.G.
Whoa- Black Rob
Shook Ones- Mobb Deep
Deep Cover- Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg
Simon Says- Pharaoh Monch
Got Yourself a Gun- Nas

I think these are dope battle beats. I think Lean Back and Dead Wrong are easy for anyone to rap to, and make any battle sound hard right off the bat. Just some suggestions...

Awesome selection of battle beats Mangani, I've bolded my favourites. The great thing about almost all of the beats you picked, especially for the less experienced MC is that the beat hardly changes (if at all) for the chorus section, so it doesn't matter too much at what point you start rapping.

Here's a few other beats I would drop in my bag for a battle or open mic event:

Tried by 12- East Flatbush Project.
Boom- Royce Da 59.
Times Up- OC.
Still D.R.E.- Dre & Snoop.
Mcs Act Like They Don't Know- Krs-One.
The Red- Jaylib.
Off The Books- The Beatnuts.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:07:37 AM
At 1/6/2010 8:45:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/5/2010 4:06:58 PM, feverish wrote:

Whats a bar?

If that's a serious question, you should probably sack your guitar teacher (jk).

A bar is a basic unit of measuring time in music. Different time signatures will affect the length of a bar but almost all modern music such as hip hop will have 4 beats to a bar. This is the 4/4 time signature.

In rapping terms a bar is basically a line. If your rapping to a beat then each line should last for 1 bar of music (unless your off-beat lol). Raps are typically 8, 16 or 32 bars long, although 12s and 24s are not uncommon and many rap tunes consist of much longer verses.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:14:13 AM
16 bars isn't loads. As a rough guideline an average (slowish) hip hop tempo of 90 bpm (beats per minute) would equate to a little under one minute.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:17:56 AM
At 1/6/2010 10:07:37 AM, feverish wrote:
At 1/6/2010 8:45:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/5/2010 4:06:58 PM, feverish wrote:

Whats a bar?

If that's a serious question, you should probably sack your guitar teacher (jk).

A bar is a basic unit of measuring time in music. Different time signatures will affect the length of a bar but almost all modern music such as hip hop will have 4 beats to a bar. This is the 4/4 time signature.

In rapping terms a bar is basically a line. If your rapping to a beat then each line should last for 1 bar of music (unless your off-beat lol). Raps are typically 8, 16 or 32 bars long, although 12s and 24s are not uncommon and many rap tunes consist of much longer verses.

OH! Sorry, I thought it was different to guitar. Besides, we don't really use that system and use Tabs.

So, basically 1 bar to a line, and a minimum of 16 bars. Cool. ave any websites where I can get beats?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
deathdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:21:51 AM
At 1/6/2010 10:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
we don't really use that system and use Tabs.

Your teacher should probably be scrapped. Anyone can use tabs without aid of a teacher.

A good teacher will teach you how to properly read and use sheet music.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:25:50 AM

ave any websites where I can get beats?

Sorry no, I'm still a bit of an internet noob and I store a lot of my music on large solid pieces of round plastic. I believe it's pretty simple to download audio from youtube but I'm not the man to tell you how. Didn't Bob Grisdeath make a thread about it recently?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:27:22 AM
At 1/6/2010 10:21:51 AM, deathdebater wrote:
we don't really use that system and use Tabs.

Your teacher should probably be scrapped. Anyone can use tabs without aid of a teacher.

A good teacher will teach you how to properly read and use sheet music.

We've done some sheet music, but most guitarists use tabs. Besides, it's technique and guidance I need not just notes. Its like saying anyone can perform surgery with a picture of the anatomy.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:28:55 AM
At 1/6/2010 10:25:50 AM, feverish wrote:

Sorry no, I'm still a bit of an internet noob and I store a lot of my music on large solid pieces of round plastic. I believe it's pretty simple to download audio from youtube but I'm not the man to tell you how. Didn't Bob Grisdeath make a thread about it recently?

Yeah, I can download that. The main problem is

A) Finding beats minus vocals
B) Mixing it together to a solid beat
C) Inserting my voice and making them match up
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:41:00 AM
At 1/6/2010 10:28:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If you find a well known track that has been released as a single, there is a good chance that the instrumental will also be on youtube. Search for the title, artist and the word "instrumental" or just "inst" or "beat". See the ones I posted on the previous page (none have lyrics) and I would certainly expect all of Mangani's suggestions to be on there too.

Or just search for tracks you already know to make it easier, plus you will usually find other beats in the related videos section.

As far as performing over it, I would say just play it in the background (as long as you have speakers) and rap your lyrics straight into the camera's mic. You may not even have to download it.

If you have nothing to play it through then any basic music program such as Soundforge, Acid, Garage band or something dead simple like Adobe audition you should be able to do it on.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 10:52:33 AM
At 1/6/2010 10:41:00 AM, feverish wrote:
At 1/6/2010 10:28:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If you find a well known track that has been released as a single, there is a good chance that the instrumental will also be on youtube. Search for the title, artist and the word "instrumental" or just "inst" or "beat". See the ones I posted on the previous page (none have lyrics) and I would certainly expect all of Mangani's suggestions to be on there too.

Or just search for tracks you already know to make it easier, plus you will usually find other beats in the related videos section.

As far as performing over it, I would say just play it in the background (as long as you have speakers) and rap your lyrics straight into the camera's mic. You may not even have to download it.

If you have nothing to play it through then any basic music program such as Soundforge, Acid, Garage band or something dead simple like Adobe audition you should be able to do it on.

Ok sweet.