Jump to topic:

The Declining Quality of DDO debate

burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 6:20:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is it just me, or has the quality of the debating and the topics dropped significantly in the past few months?

I mean, a year ago, you would maybe see one or two debates out of 30 that were something silly with one sentence arguments, or random impossible-to-prove topics like "I'm cool" or something.

I just looked at the home page, and I saw maybe 3-4 silly random debates, like "Owls are smart" with one sentence opening arguments. Or something like CAPITALS ARE BETTER THAN TEENY LETTERS. How are you supposed to prove that?

On top of that, I think that formatting has dropped quite a bit.... I mean, who can say that a year ago, we would title debates with topics like: people should be allowed to get legal suicide. Grammar anyone?
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:15:02 PM
You don't have to prove things in debate. I already argued this with you a long time ago. You seem to have some odd notion that things need to be proven when it comes to the issues.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:27:36 PM
At 1/5/2010 7:15:02 PM, LeafRod wrote:
You don't have to prove things in debate. I already argued this with you a long time ago. You seem to have some odd notion that things need to be proven when it comes to the issues.

I still think that a "Yo Mamma Joke" contest is of poorer quality than a debate over an actual issue, especially when all of the jokes are just lame repeats of each other. It gets old really fast.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:36:33 PM

if you're not to try to prove something, then what exactly is the point in a debate?
Omnes te moriturum amant 

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:55:16 PM
At 1/5/2010 7:27:36 PM, mongeese wrote:

I still think that a "Yo Mamma Joke" contest is of poorer quality than a debate over an actual issue, especially when all of the jokes are just lame repeats of each other. It gets old really fast.

Yea. It was entertaining to read and vote on the first "Yo Momma" debate, but after that they just got old so I don't even bother following those ones anymore.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 8:08:29 PM
At 1/5/2010 7:36:33 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
if you're not to try to prove something, then what exactly is the point in a debate?

That's not what I said. I said you don't have to prove something. Many things can't be proven. You can try, however. You can argue for them. That's where the debate is.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 9:17:20 PM
At 1/5/2010 8:08:29 PM, LeafRod wrote:
At 1/5/2010 7:36:33 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:

That's not what I said. I said you don't have to prove something. Many things can't be proven. You can try, however. You can argue for them. That's where the debate is.

You're obviously conflating the usage of "prove" - a debate is when two or more contenders argue about the truth or falsity of a claim. As simple as that.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 10:04:55 PM
That's basically what I'm saying. The OP presented topics that were "unprovable," but clearly one could argue for either side.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 11:07:09 PM
Agreed with LeafRod. The debate resolutions themselves don't represent anything, as no actual conclusions need be made. The focus of this site is to improve debate tactics, argumentation. Has anyone noticed a decrease in the quality of the actual arguments? This should be the issue.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 11:34:51 PM
At 1/5/2010 11:07:09 PM, Kleptin wrote:
Agreed with LeafRod. The debate resolutions themselves don't represent anything, as no actual conclusions need be made. The focus of this site is to improve debate tactics, argumentation. Has anyone noticed a decrease in the quality of the actual arguments? This should be the issue.

I think you will see that as a function of membership growth. More members will inherently mean we get a greater spread in the quality of those debating. Those debates that are poor are more salient than those of quality which attain high standards we have already seen.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 11:49:36 PM
Agreed with LeafRod. The debate resolutions themselves don't represent anything, as no actual conclusions need be made. The focus of this site is to improve debate tactics, argumentation.

The focus of the website doesn't have to be inclusive of only improving debate rhetoric; I wouldn't doubt that many members are here to provoke, engage, and hopefully conclude on a variety of several intellectual issues. But notwithstanding, I agree with both of you anyway.

Has anyone noticed a decrease in the quality of the actual arguments? This should be the issue.

As Puck pointed out, that's probably because of more members. More members = higher probability of those who start debates as silly as the ones mentioned.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 4:02:52 AM
Has anyone noticed a decrease in the quality of the actual arguments?

Many arguments are now composed of just a few jokes. That's hardly any quality.

'Nuff said.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:50:53 AM
http://www.idebate.org...

This site has a huge list of debate topics. People can just randomly pick one from there.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 8:32:38 PM
problem is, not too many will....

and yes, i'm talking about the declining quality of debates, meaning both the resolutions and their arguments.

leafrod: i suppose it also depends on your definition of prove...
Omnes te moriturum amant 

resolutionsmasher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 7:44:34 AM
The quality drop is not a result of more irrelevent debates but rather the good, proper debaters getting tired of the strict format and moving to the forums.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 4:52:39 PM
At 1/6/2010 6:50:53 AM, Kleptin wrote:
http://www.idebate.org...

This site has a huge list of debate topics. People can just randomly pick one from there.

I lol'ed at the mention of "positive discrimination."
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 3:53:02 AM
At 1/8/2010 8:06:34 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:
I have no idea what a [d][d][o] debate is can you tell me

http://www.[debate][.][org]/
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 10:02:15 PM
Maybe it is because of increased membership, but whatever the reason it's more difficult to get into a good debate than it used to be. It doesn't bother me that people want to have silly or pointless debates, but that should leave an increasing number of serious debates, and it doesn't seem to. Maybe ddo is moving towards being a strict social networking site. Maybe the increasing number of pointless debates scares off potential members interested in debating politics or economics or other traditional debate topics. If a person comes to the sit wanting to debate health care and what they see is mainly "yo mama," they may be inclined to go elsewhere.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 10:07:22 PM
If you look at the debates in the "Debating Period" you'll notice that most of them are high quality debates, or at least the topics are. However, the increasing amount of foolish debates have been persistent, and annoying.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 7:47:16 PM
i don't know, i haven't debated in about 3 months, if not more, because i haven't been able to find a worthwhile debate topic in the challenges section...
Omnes te moriturum amant 

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 8:41:24 PM
At 1/11/2010 7:47:16 PM, burningpuppies101 wrote:
i don't know, i haven't debated in about 3 months, if not more, because i haven't been able to find a worthwhile debate topic in the challenges section...

I'm with you there. I tend to have large gaps of time between my debates because the challenge section can seem so unappealing. Of course, our definitions of worthwhile likely differ. I prefer some superhero-type spin in my topics =)
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 9:14:47 PM
i don't mind any kind of debate, and i loved judging the LM classic, which was as superhero-esque as it gets.

i don't care what kind of debate, i just want good debating....
Omnes te moriturum amant