Jump to topic:

What should happen to DDO.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:05:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The site should be divided into two sections: the "Tavern" and the "Chamber." The Tavern should have opinions and polls (the answers of which should actually reflect on yourself- for instance, higher rated arguments should give you points or something) and the Chamber should have the forums for the community and a main page WITH DEBATES. I cannot stress how vital this is to the quality of the site. There's nothing that made me love debating more than the idea of starting my own argument, having it turned into a formalized contest, and watching it be put on to the front page for everybody to see.

DDO right now, for me, is really just a forum I go on every day. The culture that was built around debating has utterly vanished. There is no more talk of "noob-snipes" or "votebombing," and the contrast between now and two years ago is stunning. Nobody really cares anymore, and that's what makes the site truly fail.

So basically, we declutter the hopelessly messed up homepage, remove the pointless attention-getters from our section and finally attract more Kleptins and Roylathams to the site.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:13:00 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:05:44 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
The site should be divided into two sections: the "Tavern" and the "Chamber." The Tavern should have opinions and polls (the answers of which should actually reflect on yourself- for instance, higher rated arguments should give you points or something) and the Chamber should have the forums for the community and a main page WITH DEBATES. I cannot stress how vital this is to the quality of the site. There's nothing that made me love debating more than the idea of starting my own argument, having it turned into a formalized contest, and watching it be put on to the front page for everybody to see.

DDO right now, for me, is really just a forum I go on every day. The culture that was built around debating has utterly vanished. There is no more talk of "noob-snipes" or "votebombing," and the contrast between now and two years ago is stunning. Nobody really cares anymore, and that's what makes the site truly fail.

So basically, we declutter the hopelessly messed up homepage, remove the pointless attention-getters from our section and finally attract more Kleptins and Roylathams to the site.

How often do you really look at the home page?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:13:54 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:11:24 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
[This comment is subject to moderation]

This is exactly what I mean. A few years ago you could have opened a thread without these trolls cluttering it up. Ironically (in complete reversal from the days of WriterDave), I actually think comments like these need to start being moderated.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:14:36 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:13:00 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I have a hard time seeing anyone really finding anything on the front page (at any time, before or after the updates) that isn't already just a click away while browsing the forums.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:15:17 AM

I often get confused when people say "home page." My minds thinks they're referring to the main forum. But yes, I have indeed seen the real home page.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:15:37 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:13:54 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

[This comment has received negative votes]
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:16:34 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:15:37 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

That's a good idea. Although they shouldn't clutter up thread; these messages should be off to the side.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:17:10 AM

This is exactly what I mean. A few years ago you could have opened a thread without these trolls cluttering it up. Ironically (in complete reversal from the days of WriterDave), I actually think comments like these need to start being moderated.

Unfortunately, DDO has always been a libertarian haven and the very natures of that philosophy are let the market do its thing and the best will rise to the top, so the free market has spoken that trolls are better than serious debaters (now watch this turn into a political thread, lol).
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:17:24 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:14:36 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I have a hard time seeing anyone really finding anything on the front page (at any time, before or after the updates) that isn't already just a click away while browsing the forums.

You're missing the point. Utterly.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:17:49 AM
The site is several times as large as it used to be. More people means more good content along with more bad content. You've admitted that you don't concern yourself with the debating part and then immediately condemn such behavior. If you actually took any kind of look below the surface, you'll discover that the myth of degrading quality, which you are simply regurgitating from every other person too lazy to actually read debates, is utter tripe and buffoonery.

DDO is a hub of intellectual discourse and it will continue to be remarkable for anyone who cares to notice.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:17:55 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:17:10 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Unfortunately, DDO has always been a libertarian haven and the very natures of that philosophy are let the market do its thing and the best will rise to the top, so the free market has spoken that trolls are better than serious debaters (now watch this turn into a political thread, lol).

You're bad at this.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:18:49 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:15:17 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I often get confused when people say "home page." My minds thinks they're referring to the main forum. But yes, I have indeed seen the real home page.

What do you mean by "front page"? Are you referring to the home page itself, or the debates page?
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:20:08 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:16:34 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
At 11/30/2013 3:15:37 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:22:19 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:17:49 AM, FREEDO wrote:
The site is several times as large as it used to be.

So?

More people means more good content along with more bad content.

How does this have anything to do with the OP?

You've admitted that you don't concern yourself with the debating part and then immediately condemn such behavior.

I lost interest, and I was wondering why.

If you actually took any kind of look below the surface, you'll discover that the myth of degrading quality, which you are simply regurgitating from every other person too lazy to actually read debates, is utter tripe and buffoonery.

The quality of debates done by active members has remained the same. But the whole atmosphere has changed. And debates definitely aren't the same as they used to be. I can't believe I used to actually go read debates in the debating period and follow each round.

DDO is a hub of intellectual discourse and it will continue to be remarkable for anyone who cares to notice.

No more interesting people join this site. Only people from the old DDO remain.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:22:44 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:18:49 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

What do you mean by "front page"? Are you referring to the home page itself, or the debates page?

The home page itself.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:33:23 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:22:44 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

The home page itself.

Then what are you failing to understand? You said that you want to see your debates appear on the home page. I then questioned how often you even really look at the home page (to which you respond that you've seen it. Doesn't really answer the question, but oh well). The purpose of the question is that you are upset that you are not getting noticed through something that really no one looks at anyway. You are then taking your frustrations out on something completely unrelated.

As I showed YYW several days ago, the members that are active in the Polls and Opinions are not starting debates to bog down the home page. At that time, there were like 4 out of 26 debates (or some small margin like that) that were from non-forum members. The real culprit is our apathy. We don't care, we just like to bitch and moan about it. Like voting, a lot of the people that complain about voting aren't voting themselves. Many haven't been voting in months. Yeah, when the site had 3 - 5 debates a day, there was more voting. Now we are averaging about 60 debates a day. Votes are also slowly going up, just not at the same pace that debates are (so we are seeing fewer votes per debate).

TUF is actually doing something completely awesome to try and help voting. He's putting action behind his complaints. He is getting off his arse and trying to fix the issue that he sees in front of him. You want more high quality debates? Go and make them. Find a group of friends to make some debates. But don't sit there and do nothing but tell others that there is a problem that they need to fix.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:33:37 AM
At 11/30/2013 3:33:23 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/30/2013 3:22:44 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

The home page itself.

Then what are you failing to understand? You said that you want to see your debates appear on the home page. I then questioned how often you even really look at the home page (to which you respond that you've seen it. Doesn't really answer the question, but oh well). The purpose of the question is that you are upset that you are not getting noticed through something that really no one looks at anyway. You are then taking your frustrations out on something completely unrelated.

As I showed YYW several days ago, the members that are active in the Polls and Opinions are not starting debates to bog down the home page. At that time, there were like 4 out of 26 debates (or some small margin like that) that were from non-forum members. The real culprit is our apathy. We don't care, we just like to bitch and moan about it. Like voting, a lot of the people that complain about voting aren't voting themselves. Many haven't been voting in months. Yeah, when the site had 3 - 5 debates a day, there was more voting. Now we are averaging about 60 debates a day. Votes are also slowly going up, just not at the same pace that debates are (so we are seeing fewer votes per debate).

TUF is actually doing something completely awesome to try and help voting. He's putting action behind his complaints. He is getting off his arse and trying to fix the issue that he sees in front of him. You want more high quality debates? Go and make them. Find a group of friends to make some debates. But don't sit there and do nothing but tell others that there is a problem that they need to fix.

/rant
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 3:59:07 AM
nothing should (we do) happen to DDO. Time will do its work on its own. What is happening that society can affect DDO is the immigration of new people to this site and the emmigration of intelligence (may they rest in peace).
Also the fact that polls have become the Ellis Island for new people where you might find signs of hope and there are plenty who simply stay because they offer nothing to DDO.
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 4:09:03 AM
That's bullshit and I'm calling it out. Here's just a handful of new top debaters who have been here less than a year. And they aren't an exception to the rule. You just aren't paying attention.

I'd like to give special attention to Mikal. Astonishing record. 29th most wins in DDO history within only 4 months:

May everyone who spreads this myth be silenced. You have no idea what you are talking about. Lets see you prove otherwise.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 4:26:14 AM
I am going to respond to both of you. Don't have all the time right now.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 5:20:42 AM
I believe some of the more recent members have had a rather bad impact on the site, despite only joining seven months ago the site culture has changed dramatically. That being said there are some promising members present on this site. Hope is all but lost.
Turn around, go back.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 9:03:17 AM
At 11/30/2013 4:09:03 AM, FREEDO wrote:
That's bullshit and I'm calling it out. Here's just a handful of new top debaters who have been here less than a year. And they aren't an exception to the rule. You just aren't paying attention.

I'd like to give special attention to Mikal. Astonishing record. 29th most wins in DDO history within only 4 months:

Just going to throw this out there...
of his 77 completed debates, 4 were against people with elos over 2300, and 73 were forfeits or against noob debators (elo under 2300, but all except a handful had elos under 2000).

May everyone who spreads this myth be silenced. You have no idea what you are talking about. Lets see you prove otherwise.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 10:04:15 AM

um, no. Compared to Izbo and Interrogator, what you see here is nothing. And even prior to those two, there were flamewars.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 10:15:14 AM

Mikal and bsh1 are both pretty awesome. Bsh1 reminds me of thett and Mikal is sort of like a more "human" version of Kleptin.
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 11:13:48 AM
At 11/30/2013 9:03:17 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

of his 77 completed debates, 4 were against people with elos over 2300, and 73 were forfeits or against noob debators (elo under 2300, but all except a handful had elos under 2000).

Then why don't you challenge him to a debate and create a high quality debate?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 11:15:18 AM
At 11/30/2013 11:13:48 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I have. And so have a few other prominent users. However, his claim is generally that he doesn't have time (and then he accepts a few more debates from noobs).
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 12:53:05 PM
At 11/30/2013 11:15:18 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 11/30/2013 11:13:48 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I have. And so have a few other prominent users. However, his claim is generally that he doesn't have time (and then he accepts a few more debates from noobs).

IMHO scoring and ELO are still almost wholly meaningless on this website. There is some correlation between a high elo and a strong debater, but it's IMHO not at all a strong correlation and is typically just a sign that you don't forfeit. Many debates are won simply based upon the voting activity of a handful of people on your friends list. If they see your debate has entered a voting period, more than likely that's a score for you, or if you PM them about the debate, that almost precludes a score AGAINST you.

The volume of votes has to be much, much higher for that score to have any real significance.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Team_Y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 1:20:04 PM
At 11/30/2013 10:15:14 AM, YYW wrote:

Mikal and bsh1 are both pretty awesome. Bsh1 reminds me of thett and Mikal is sort of like a more "human" version of Kleptin.

Bsh1 is great. There are plenty of good new members, it's just takes a long time to gain a rep and get noticed.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 5:14:03 PM

As I take a closer look, this particular debater isn't as high quality as I initially thought. However, it's not bad at all. Remember that the elo of his opponents go into his rank and he is still ranked high. So that isn't an issue. He appears to do the honorable thing during a forfeit and continue to make arguments anyway.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord