Jump to topic:

Q&A TUF/ClassicRobert Presidential Ticket

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:04:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
As you may or may not be aware, TUF and I are campaigning for the positions of President and Vice President of DDO, respectively.

http://www.debate.org...

The platform can be found here

https://docs.google.com...

I will video interview him over the next couple of days, and if there are questions you would like me to ask, feel free to post them here!
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:17:10 AM
Okay, that is one amazing platform.

Could he clarify on the appreciation stickers? Would they be like the Facebook like button, stickied on our profiles or something else? And if the former, would that depend on approval from Juggle?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:29:19 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:17:10 AM, Cermank wrote:

Could he clarify on the appreciation stickers?

http://i.imgur.com...

Would they be like the Facebook like button, stickied on our profiles or something else?

I would like to have them stickied on people's profiles, under an "awards" category. I think the best way to moderate this, so it doesn't get spammed and become meaningless, would be to let moderators have control over who get's the awards. Though this is only in the idea process, and I would love to hear ideas that other members my have before going anywhere with it.

And if the former, would that depend on approval from Juggle?

Everything would depend on juggle, as they are the official owners of the site. That said, if they didn't condone such an update, I would make a member appreciation thread, where each week members could nominate each other to be the outstanding member in whatever category they see fit, IE voting, debating, conduct, etc.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:36:44 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:04:51 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
As you may or may not be aware, TUF and I are campaigning for the positions of President and Vice President of DDO, respectively.

I will video interview him over the next couple of days, and if there are questions you would like me to ask, feel free to post them here!

Can you really say that the VP candidate interviewing the Presidential candidate is going to be a fair interview and not some easy softball tosses?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:37:33 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:29:19 AM, TUF wrote:

Would they be like the Facebook like button, stickied on our profiles or something else?

I would like to have them stickied on people's profiles, under an "awards" category. I think the best way to moderate this, so it doesn't get spammed and become meaningless, would be to let moderators have control over who get's the awards. Though this is only in the idea process, and I would love to hear ideas that other members my have before going anywhere with it.

That is an idea. Who would be the moderators , though? I thought it was just the president who had the additional powers to moderate? Are there more?

I think IF you open it to the public, or even just the moderators, you could have a 'speech' portion with the awarding. So people who awarded something to someone would give a small speech explaining their decision. That would weed out people just giving it just because.

Everything would depend on juggle, as they are the official owners of the site. That said, if they didn't condone such an update, I would make a member appreciation thread, where each week members could nominate each other to be the outstanding member in whatever category they see fit, IE voting, debating, conduct, etc.

Isn't that similar to hall of fame thing already going on?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:39:22 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:36:44 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Can you really say that the VP candidate interviewing the Presidential candidate is going to be a fair interview and not some easy softball tosses?

Any questions you want to have asked, will be put in the video. Also I will re-answer some of the ones already answered too. We will try to take less of a softball approach and answer more of the important stuff.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:44:58 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:37:33 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/1/2013 11:29:19 AM, TUF wrote:

That is an idea. Who would be the moderators , though? I thought it was just the president who had the additional powers to moderate? Are there more?

Well, the moderator aspect was supposed to be separate, though the few recent presidents we've had, have also been moderators. I specifically, haven't requested to be a moderator, only the president at this time.

I think IF you open it to the public, or even just the moderators, you could have a 'speech' portion with the awarding. So people who awarded something to someone would give a small speech explaining their decision. That would weed out people just giving it just because.

That is a great idea to take under consideration. Member feedback such as this, will be the biggest helper in getting these type of things accomplished, I think.

Isn't that similar to hall of fame thing already going on?

The hall of fame, only recognizes specific things, that only occur every so often. I would want this to be an on-going weekly thing to better support member appreciation. This idea specifically comes from members feeling like the community is losing value with the new updates, and less mature users.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:47:54 AM

Also if you are willing, or want to interview me, I would be more than happy to accept. I know you will give me some good solid questions. :)
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:48:12 AM

TUF answered this question adequately. It all depends on the questions put forward to be asked. That being said, if you would like to be the one to do the interview, he is fine with that as well.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:48:24 AM
Are you cognizant of all the duties the presidency entails, and do you have a plan set for fulfilling them? It seems like airmax does a lot of work behind the scenes e.g resolving disputes, which I didn't see addressed in your platform.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:54:46 AM
As President, would you or would you not purge Objectivists from the site? Yer answer will determine my vote.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:56:16 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:54:46 AM, Noumena wrote:
As President, would you or would you not purge Objectivists from the site? Yer answer will determine my vote.

rolf
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:56:54 AM

Yes, only subjectivists will remain on the site after I am through with it, I can assure you.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:57:54 AM
At 12/1/2013 11:56:54 AM, TUF wrote:

Yes, only subjectivists will remain on the site after I am through with it, I can assure you.

I don't like that answer. Get rid of the Objectivists for sure but subjectivist are just as bad. I withdraw my imaginary support for this ticket.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:00:28 PM
At 12/1/2013 11:57:54 AM, Noumena wrote:

I don't like that answer. Get rid of the Objectivists for sure but subjectivist are just as bad. I withdraw my imaginary support for this ticket.

they aren't esoteric enough, amiright?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:01:27 PM
At 12/1/2013 11:48:24 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Are you cognizant of all the duties the presidency entails, and do you have a plan set for fulfilling them? It seems like airmax does a lot of work behind the scenes e.g resolving disputes, which I didn't see addressed in your platform.

I specifically left resolving disputes out of my platform, because I was specifically running for president. Airmax is the current moderator and president, which means that his duties currently resolve of both. I have asked to be a president, nor am I sure that if I did ask, it would be granted to me. I am still considering about asking for moderator abilities, though I will admit, as of right now I have no current interest in them. Being a moderator here is almost a full time job, and I feel having that responsibility, might hinder my plans for site renovations.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:02:29 PM

Then you better hope I don't become a moderator. I would ban anyone who doesn't think and hold the exact same opinions as me.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:03:33 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:02:29 PM, TUF wrote:

Then you better hope I don't become a moderator.

lol, I don't think anyone under about 25 would ever even have a shot at becoming a mod.

I would ban anyone who doesn't think and hold the exact same opinions as me.
Tsar of DDO
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:04:05 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:01:27 PM, TUF wrote:

I specifically left resolving disputes out of my platform, because I was specifically running for president. Airmax is the current moderator and president, which means that his duties currently resolve of both. I have asked to be a president, nor am I sure that if I did ask, it would be granted to me. I am still considering about asking for moderator abilities, though I will admit, as of right now I have no current interest in them. Being a moderator here is almost a full time job, and I feel having that responsibility, might hinder my plans for site renovations.

Oh, I was under the impression that the president was responsible for both roles.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:04:39 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:00:28 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I generally like my philosophies to employ big-boy words.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:05:25 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:04:05 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Oh, I was under the impression that the president was responsible for both roles.

Not at all. It just so happens that Innomen and Airmax were both awesome (and by awesome, I mean mature and levelheaded) enough to get that appointment from Juggle.

Being elected president does not, under any circumstance, mean that such a person would be given mod powers.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:06:57 PM
Since this question has been asked multiple times, I will copy and paste this from the FAQ's:

PRESIDENT

The Debate.org President acts as a liaison between the members of the community and Juggle, the company that owns the site. They advocate for the interests of the membership and express what updates the community is generally most interested in. They will also help with anything a member is having problems with and try to resolve any issues that members may have.

I interpret the last line as helping member with user type of questions, as opposed to resolving disputes.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:09:45 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:04:39 PM, Noumena wrote:

You are a big boy after all...I mean, it takes maturity to 'stick it to the man' and deny everything and everyone, amiright?
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:12:54 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:09:45 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

You are a big boy after all...I mean, it takes maturity to 'stick it to the man' and deny everything and everyone, amiright?

I'm afraid I don't claim for myself the position of mature adult. I'll leave that to those who still take metaphysics seriously lol.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:31:14 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:05:25 PM, YYW wrote:

Not at all. It just so happens that Innomen and Airmax were both awesome (and by awesome, I mean mature and levelheaded) enough to get that appointment from Juggle.

Being elected president does not, under any circumstance, mean that such a person would be given mod powers.

So what exactly does the president do, then? Is he sort of like DDO's representative to juggle, responsible for monitoring and advocating the community's desires and making sure the site is shaped accordingly?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:37:53 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:12:54 PM, Noumena wrote:

I'm afraid I don't claim for myself the position of mature adult. I'll leave that to those who still take metaphysics seriously lol.

http://media.tumblr.com...
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:38:42 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:37:53 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/1/2013 12:12:54 PM, Noumena wrote:

http://media.tumblr.com...

I Ike being a man child.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:39:25 PM
At 12/1/2013 12:31:14 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/1/2013 12:05:25 PM, YYW wrote:

So what exactly does the president do, then? Is he sort of like DDO's representative to juggle, responsible for monitoring and advocating the community's desires and making sure the site is shaped accordingly?

Sort of, yes. A president's physical ability ultimately relies on what Juggle allows them to do, but in that lies communicating and reporting what the majority of users seem to want, suggesting ideas, and also helping out the community with any ways they can.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 12:42:22 PM
TUF, what will you do when [censored by DDO mafia] attempt a coup of yer administration?