Jump to topic:

I'm In.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:34:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm throwing my name in as a presidential candidate.

Though I don't remember where, I once read that those most fit to rule are those upon whom the office seems most burdensome. I am not an especially gifted politician, and an explicit platform, if I manage to come up with one, is not my style. In a sense, I do not really want to be President (I entertain the thought almost exclusively as a curiosity, as a what-if?, but I think it is for precisely this reason that I would be likely to do a good job. When, some time ago, I last held the office, I did not know entirely what I was getting myself into. I presided over the transfer of the site from Phil (for those who remember) to Juggle, and I sat in this way on the threshold of two presidential traditions, the first meaningless and ineffectual, the latter, inaugurated most completely by innomen in his first term, aimed at a well-formed administrative structure (and, as Airmax's several terms have demonstrated, this tendency has intensified). There were certain things which I was able, with some assistance, to accomplish, not the least of which was the laying of the groundwork for a meaningful relationship between "elected officials" and the site's owners (though I do not take credit as some kind of pioneer--my position was a consequence of equal or greater measures of luck which I simply had to manage), and I think, having at least refrained from tainting Juggle's perception of the office, it may prove fruitful to take up the reins and bear the (often uncomfortable, precisely because I am, as is well-known, no fan of governing) responsibility of caring for the members and the site.

I do not know what to say of my "qualifications" or my platform--I do not share TUF's technical experience, for instance--but I am reminded of Xenophon's Education of Cyrus, a work which takes great strides in opening the question of what governing or ruling means as the one who rules. In the world in which we live, I have a number of negative things to say. But, consider the "leader" of a small group of individuals, the one to whom people turn for guidance or counsel--not unlike our microcosmic community. I think what distinguishes a leader, not as someone who gives orders or issues laws, but as someone who guides (somewhat like, for instance, the abbot of a monastery), is their capacity for understanding, for patience, for good judgment, and for making good decisions. A platform often cannot capture these qualities, because their truest exercise lies in the confrontation with the unexpected--one can promise to do this or that, to bring in this or that feature, but my understanding is that much of the Presidential experience concerns things like mediating disputes, moderating posts or comments, and making difficult decisions in which one or more members have a stake. I do not like to self-promote, but I think I exemplify precisely these capacities. This prudence, this careful wisdom, is one of Airmax's enduring traits, and I think this--not whatever programs he may have helped to implement, nor whatever specific stylistic changes he brought about, but the way he impacted the community's way of life, its way of getting along--is what made him a great leader, and is a task it may be my place to take up in his wake. This is not to say that TUF does not possess these qualities, or that you should not vote for him if that is where your faith lies--I have known him long enough to understand the kind of person he has become, the kinds of trials and subsequent transformations he has undergone, and, if ever he were to run, this would perhaps be the appointed time--only that I feel a certain exigency to run alongside him, and that I am prepared to accept the burdens of leadership if others see fit to look to me, not as an official, but as someone who commits himself to being meticulous, careful, and patient--as one who leads, not only by thinking, listening, and guiding, but also by being prepared to bear the impossibility of being unable to satisfy everyone. There is no leader with whom someone is not eventually dissatisfied, frustrated, or outright angry, and, having spoken so much to the need for reserved patience, I cannot help but think this is a decisive opportunity to establish such an example by living it as one chosen to lead.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:41:22 AM
I think you definitely hit on some important aspects of the position, and you are certainly someone who has been around for awhile and understands the site.

Best of luck to you Cody.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:57:41 AM
"Much of the Presidential experience concerns things like mediating disputes, moderating posts or comments..."

Just to avoid any confusion (and I know that because this was a large part of my experience it's assumed to be a part of the presidency), this isn't something that the President does. The President's role is entirely separate from that of the moderators.

The most important thing the president does is understanding what the membership wants from the site and interpreting that for Juggle and offering them feedback while coming up with site feature ideas and suggestions. It's more accurate to view it as an ambassador or liaison position in many ways. That isn't to say that the President shouldn't have an opinion on the issues above (and to be directly involved in that process), simply that it's not an inherent part of the President's role.
Debate.org Moderator
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:26:45 AM
In light of this revelation, I have quite a bit to express as soon as time becomes available. For now I would like to say that I am not only honored, but ecstatic to be running alongside such great competition (I hate to call it that) such as cody, and will feel no feelings of displeasure if he wins the election. More to come.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:32:30 AM
At 12/2/2013 1:57:41 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
"Much of the Presidential experience concerns things like mediating disputes, moderating posts or comments..."

Just to avoid any confusion (and I know that because this was a large part of my experience it's assumed to be a part of the presidency), this isn't something that the President does. The President's role is entirely separate from that of the moderators.

The most important thing the president does is understanding what the membership wants from the site and interpreting that for Juggle and offering them feedback while coming up with site feature ideas and suggestions. It's more accurate to view it as an ambassador or liaison position in many ways. That isn't to say that the President shouldn't have an opinion on the issues above (and to be directly involved in that process), simply that it's not an inherent part of the President's role.

Of course. I don't mean to say that I would myself be doing the moderating (and I imagine I'd prefer to deliberate and advise), but that a large part of what defines the execution of the office, as I conceive it, is dealing with internal conflict. My approach to the office, in any case, would be geared more toward this than toward attempting mostly or primarily to tweak features of the site. It isn't to say that I do not plan to do this, but that this is the place, not only of an advocate, but of, say, a developer (which, as an applied skill, is something for which TUF is evidently very well-suited). Frankly, if I had my pick, there would not be a unitary Presidency--what's kind of interesting is that TUF and I have, as I take it, different sets of accentuated skills: to assign some somewhat clumsy archetypes, he would be the expert to my scholar, or, still clumsier, the STEM to my humanities. I do not think the office really has any determinate vocation (in the same way that, particularly in the American Supreme Court, the function of the tribunal cannot be traced to something "proper", but emerges as a rule from the fact of their practice--the influx of "activist" judges directs the rule one way, the same of "literalist" judges in the other direction, and so on with related tendencies); rather, it's something like a floating sign that can be made to signify whatever its users (who are, in this case, voting members) want it to signify. There are limits, of course--they cannot vote either of us the power to change the orange color scheme--but I mean only that the question of who will win is, at least from a substantive point of view, a question of mood, of what people happen to want in a leader or are principally concerned with (which I do not claim to know--perhaps they want something like a technocrat, someone with relevant technical expertise, and I would not feel any worse if they preferred this to my more philosophical focus on social dynamics and the "way of life" of the community, if you'll permit me the expression.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:38:32 AM
At 12/2/2013 2:32:30 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/2/2013 1:57:41 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Of course. I don't mean to say that I would myself be doing the moderating (and I imagine I'd prefer to deliberate and advise), but that a large part of what defines the execution of the office, as I conceive it, is dealing with internal conflict. My approach to the office, in any case, would be geared more toward this than toward attempting mostly or primarily to tweak features of the site. It isn't to say that I do not plan to do this, but that this is the place, not only of an advocate, but of, say, a developer (which, as an applied skill, is something for which TUF is evidently very well-suited). Frankly, if I had my pick, there would not be a unitary Presidency--what's kind of interesting is that TUF and I have, as I take it, different sets of accentuated skills: to assign some somewhat clumsy archetypes, he would be the expert to my scholar, or, still clumsier, the STEM to my humanities. I do not think the office really has any determinate vocation (in the same way that, particularly in the American Supreme Court, the function of the tribunal cannot be traced to something "proper", but emerges as a rule from the fact of their practice--the influx of "activist" judges directs the rule one way, the same of "literalist" judges in the other direction, and so on with related tendencies); rather, it's something like a floating sign that can be made to signify whatever its users (who are, in this case, voting members) want it to signify. There are limits, of course--they cannot vote either of us the power to change the orange color scheme--but I mean only that the question of who will win is, at least from a substantive point of view, a question of mood, of what people happen to want in a leader or are principally concerned with (which I do not claim to know--perhaps they want something like a technocrat, someone with relevant technical expertise, and I would not feel any worse if they preferred this to my more philosophical focus on social dynamics and the "way of life" of the community, if you'll permit me the expression.

I think that is a very reasonable approach to take and your perspective is certainly valuable. Your philosophical tendencies will also most certainly be appreciated.
Debate.org Moderator
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:43:15 AM
There may be some mis perceptions inferred from my platform, that I think may need to be adressed shortly (give me a few hours as I am at work). That said I do agree with everything cody is saying, and believe I have poorly worded, or maybe placed emphasization in areas that may or may not be as important as others. Anyways, to those around, please stand by for clarification.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:14:00 AM
At 12/2/2013 2:43:15 AM, TUF wrote:
There may be some mis perceptions inferred from my platform, that I think may need to be adressed shortly (give me a few hours as I am at work). That said I do agree with everything cody is saying, and believe I have poorly worded, or maybe placed emphasization in areas that may or may not be as important as others. Anyways, to those around, please stand by for clarification.

This is the sort of thing that made me uneasy about trying to present a transparent and unambiguous platform--the medium, however well-written or carefully-read the message, can't help but bear witness to the impossibility of clear, direct meaning.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:17:01 AM
In the meantime, I was wondering if you would at all be interested, cody, in a cross-fire questionnaire either via forum, or skype? Basically like a cross fire question process, where we can ask each other hard ball questions and maybe establish ourselves and our positions a little stronger. I would offer a debate, however I do not think "debate" in essence would really establish much, as I don't actually disagree with your political endeavors.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:22:32 AM
At 12/2/2013 3:14:00 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/2/2013 2:43:15 AM, TUF wrote:

This is the sort of thing that made me uneasy about trying to present a transparent and unambiguous platform--the medium, however well-written or carefully-read the message, can't help but bear witness to the impossibility of clear, direct meaning.

You are absolutely correct. I shouldn't say mis perceptions, actually. It is perceived exactly as I presented, and outlooks such as yours are not only justified, but probably common. A better way to phrase it to more properly accept responsibility (instead of inciting blame) would be for me to say that I need to clarify my position/revise it in order to emphasize the proper and true meaning of my platform.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:42:45 AM
At 12/2/2013 3:17:01 AM, TUF wrote:
In the meantime, I was wondering if you would at all be interested, cody, in a cross-fire questionnaire either via forum, or skype? Basically like a cross fire question process, where we can ask each other hard ball questions and maybe establish ourselves and our positions a little stronger. I would offer a debate, however I do not think "debate" in essence would really establish much, as I don't actually disagree with your political endeavors.

True--I don't think a debate would be productive. It seems, in a certain way, overtly adversarial, always geared toward a "win". On the other hand, I am not sure if I have any "hardball" questions to ask--on a literal reading of your platform, the only promise whose merit I am hesitant to accept is the commitment to "professionalism", to withdraw from the social aspect of the site (which I take to be the opposite of attempting to be a friend to everyone)--part of the tragedy of modern art, I think, is the estrangement of the artist from the community he inhabits, and the reconstitution of this relationship as between the artist who creates and the distant audience or spectator who consumes and disinterestedly enjoys those creations. I would argue that to take the burden of leadership, to accept the weight of that struggle, one cannot help but retain an interest in the community of which he is still a part. I am sure this opens the risk of accusations of favoritism, but I think this is a risk both of us must be willing to take.

I'd be happy to talk this out somewhere, but, at present, I don't own a computer (though I have most of the parts to one I've been meaning to assemble; until then, I visit the library), so I have neither Skype nor any of the relevant accessories. A forum would be preferable.