Jump to topic:

Things DDO Presidents Ought to Do

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 7:05:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
(1) Promote DDO community and culture, act principally as an advocate for the DDO (and specifically the forum's members).

This means continuing to build ties with, and within the community we have here by (a) organizing, promoting, facilitating tournaments, (b) promoting DDO shows like The Weekly Stupid, etc., (c) participating in forum discussions and debates regularly, (d) representing the DDO community's interests to Juggle by (i) speaking out to stop the implementation of an idiotic 'update', (ii) promote DDO as DDO and not rip-offs of CreateDebate, (iii) not implementing bad policies to fix problems with members, (iv) not creating committees or abstract organizations to do things that individuals should take responsibility for, (e) continually focusing on site improvement.

(2) Work with Juggle to facilitate the removal of the opinion and polls section to another, similar site such as Opinions.org or Polls.org (if available).

This is absolutely indispensable. The opinion and polls sections are the single greatest problems this site faces, bar none -but that is not to say that the opinion and poll sections need to disappear from existence. They have their place, but that place is properly relegated to another domain which diverges from DDO. Props to Ore-Ele for this idea.

(3) Remove all voting regulations, except those which enable abusive voters' privileges to be revoked and restore the CVB.

This is in direct reference to the aforementioned (1) section (d), (iii), but deserves its own mention because, firstly, this was recently tried, and secondly, because this is a mistake I never want to see repeated again.

(4) Change the DDO color scheme.

It may seem petty, but orange and grey are audacious and ugly. Forrest green, or Harvard crimson, or navy blue, or any combination of color that does not involve orange, yellow, purple or pink would be fine.

I would also be amenable to customizing the DDO color scheme (similar to how I can control the color scheme of my Yahoo email) for each individual member because I'm not sure that everyone has the same preferences as I do. This is something Juggle should consider, and something that the DDO president should lobby for.

(5) Completely separate presidential responsibilities with moderation/mediation/conflict resolution responsibilities.

I think this is going to be a de-facto result anyway, since Airmax isn't going to run again, but there are very practical reasons why the President has no business moderating or resolving member conflicts. That is not to say that the president shouldn't appoint people to do that, but it is wholly to indicate that all time that the president spends moderating conflicts is time not spent focusing on promoting DDO culture, the DDO community and advocating for the Community's interests to Juggle to the end of facilitating site improvement.

If that point is at all controversial, even though it shouldn't be, I'll be happy to at some point talk more about it. But the point of this post is to get a rough sketch of what I'm looking for in a president.
Tsar of DDO
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 9:11:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
An excellent platform. YYW 2013!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 10:56:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is what I expect of a candidate. Any less than this is inadequate. Any more than this is lovely, but not necessary. But, there is a certain intangible quality that is required of leaders -a quality that is as much about personality as it is about their platform. Who a person is matters, at the day's end, so much more than what they want to accomplish. That is because when novel situations arise, it will be that person's judgement that is relied upon to direct the fate of the community that elected them. I just want to add that while indeed reputation can be indicative of judgement, that alone is not enough -because reputation most often depends on perception, collective or otherwise, which can yield fortuitous rather than grounded insight into a how a person really handles difficult decisions -especially when a person is untested. In that there are no incumbents running, other than, somewhat, Cody who ran before and in a much different time, all candidates present a risk -but that risk is predictable. Perhaps I'm just cynical; but the line between cynicism and realistic perception of reality depends on the tolerance level of those interpreting reality for inconvenient news.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 11:00:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/3/2013 9:11:00 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
An excellent platform. YYW 2013!

I'm not running. I have said before that I'm not running and I'll say it again. The reason I'm not running is because I'm not the right guy for the job. I don't have the threshold of tolerance for bulls#it required of a president, and I don't want to have to work with those I would be required to work with as president because I can in no possible way seeing that working relationship being productive.... if even a relationship at all. So, it would be irresponsible of me to run. But I can say that because I know myself, and I understand what it means to be president -that is to say, what is reasonably likely to be required of the next person who seeks office. The current contenders may understand themselves well enough, but I can't say much more.
Tsar of DDO