Jump to topic:

ClassicRobert's Gauntlet Tournament

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:05:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
With all of the election hype going on, it is easy to forget that the main focus of the site is debate. So I would like to take a break from the campaign to announce my Gauntlet tournament, modeled after RyuuKyuzo's from some time ago.

There will be a tower of five debaters. These debaters will be ranked from lowest seed to highest seed.

A challenger will then step up. This challenger must make his/her way through the entire tower of debaters undefeated, and if the challenger wins, he will be the first winner of the Gauntlet (which, to clarify, is not a physical award).

However, if the challenger loses any debates in the challenge-tower, the gauntlet is reset and a new challenger will have the opportunity to try to win the Gauntlet!

Within three days of the Gauntlet beginning, the challenger must PM me with the topic for the first debate, as agreed upon by both debaters. This is intended to be a serious tournament, and troll topics or excessively pop-culture based debates ("Miley Cyrus is worse than Hannah Montana" "The Broncos are the best football team ever") are not acceptable for the Gauntlet. The debate must then start within three days of my approval.

Debates will be 4 rounds (with the first round being for declaration of rules and acceptance), and will be 4000 to 8000 characters at the debaters discretion. The voting period can be however long the debaters want, but for the sake of rapid progression of the tournament, the winner will be declared after three days. If the challenger wins, the next topic must be sent to me within three days, and the debate will be started three days later, and so on.

So without further ado, let the sign-up begin!

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Judges (note that there is no limit on the number of judges; if you want to be a judge and their are no numbers available, just add a number to the list):
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:07:40 PM
It should be added that if you are a debater who is too busy to commit to a full tournament, but still wants to debate, a position in the challenge tower is for you.

So who dares to try to conquer the Gauntlet?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:08:26 PM
I shall guard the tower...after the 11th
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:08:35 PM
Thinking about it.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:10:54 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:08:26 PM, thett3 wrote:
I shall guard the tower...after the 11th

Wonderful. You will inevitably be a high seed, so that should be just fine.

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:13:05 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:05:38 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Judges (note that there is no limit on the number of judges; if you want to be a judge and their are no numbers available, just add a number to the list):
1. Seventh
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:18:09 PM

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3

1. SeventhProfessor

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:18:43 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:05:38 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
With all of the election hype going on, it is easy to forget that the main focus of the site is debate. So I would like to take a break from the campaign to announce my Gauntlet tournament, modeled after RyuuKyuzo's from some time ago.

There will be a tower of five debaters. These debaters will be ranked from lowest seed to highest seed.

A challenger will then step up. This challenger must make his/her way through the entire tower of debaters undefeated, and if the challenger wins, he will be the first winner of the Gauntlet (which, to clarify, is not a physical award).

However, if the challenger loses any debates in the challenge-tower, the gauntlet is reset and a new challenger will have the opportunity to try to win the Gauntlet!

Within three days of the Gauntlet beginning, the challenger must PM me with the topic for the first debate, as agreed upon by both debaters. This is intended to be a serious tournament, and troll topics or excessively pop-culture based debates ("Miley Cyrus is worse than Hannah Montana" "The Broncos are the best football team ever") are not acceptable for the Gauntlet. The debate must then start within three days of my approval.

Debates will be 4 rounds (with the first round being for declaration of rules and acceptance), and will be 4000 to 8000 characters at the debaters discretion. The voting period can be however long the debaters want, but for the sake of rapid progression of the tournament, the winner will be declared after three days. If the challenger wins, the next topic must be sent to me within three days, and the debate will be started three days later, and so on.

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:

Yep. Am I "veteran" enough to be a judge?
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:19:41 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:18:09 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3

1. SeventhProfessor
2. dtaylor971
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:20:35 PM

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. Citrakayah

1. SeventhProfessor
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:21:46 PM
This tower thing reminds me of sword fighting level to level with golf clubs in a multi level parking garage...oh to be young again :'(
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:24:44 PM
Ill be part of the tower
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:26:43 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:20:35 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. Citrakayah
3. Imabench

1. SeventhProfessor

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:33:29 PM
Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. Citrakayah
3. Imabench
4. CP

1. SeventhProfessor
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:34:23 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:33:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. Citrakayah
3. Imabench
4. CP

1. SeventhProfessor

CP! Glad to see you back.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:34:26 PM
Can I be the last stage of the tower, or does it go to whoever has the highest Elo?

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:34:50 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:34:23 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 12/4/2013 10:33:29 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. Citrakayah
3. Imabench
4. CP

1. SeventhProfessor

CP! Glad to see you back.

Indeed.

College is a b!tch.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:38:16 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:26:43 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 12/4/2013 10:20:35 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. Citrakayah
3. Imabench

1. SeventhProfessor
2. dtaylor971
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:41:59 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:34:26 PM, imabench wrote:
Can I be the last stage of the tower, or does it go to whoever has the highest Elo?

The challenge is structured in order of ascending difficulty. However, Elo is not entirely representative of debaters skill. For example, in the context of troll debates, you are incredibly skilled, but in the context of more serious debates, you are still above average, but your Elo does not reflect your rank as a seed within the tournament.

The current ranking goes-

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. ConservativePolitico
3. Imabench
4. Citrakayah

Judges:
1. SeventhProfessor
2. dtaylor971

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:44:56 PM
I'll judge. People will have to remind me if a debate is going on for this though.

On another note, I would not want to f*ck with that tower >.>
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:46:08 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:44:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I'll judge. People will have to remind me if a debate is going on for this though.

you should see what I have in tore

(chuckles evilly while stroking a slightly annoyed fluffy white cat in a nice leather chair near a fireplace)

DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:46:52 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:41:59 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

The challenge is structured in order of ascending difficulty. However, Elo is not entirely representative of debaters skill. For example, in the context of troll debates, you are incredibly skilled, but in the context of more serious debates, you are still above average, but your Elo does not reflect your rank as a seed within the tournament.

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. ConservativePolitico
3. Imabench
4. Citrakayah

Judges:
1. SeventhProfessor
2. dtaylor971

Ok I'm pretty new, but could I be a challenger? I completely understand if you say no...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:47:10 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:46:08 PM, imabench wrote:

you should see what I have in tore

(chuckles evilly while stroking a slightly annoyed fluffy white cat in a nice leather chair near a fireplace)

Forgot the slicked-back hair and the monocle.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:49:42 PM

Come to the tower... we have cookies... and soft caressing.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:49:52 PM

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. ConservativePolitico
3. Imabench
4. Citrakayah

Judges:
1. SeventhProfessor
2. dtaylor971

Replacement Challenge Tower People (in case any guard drops out, does not follow the rules, etc.):

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:52:21 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:46:52 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. ConservativePolitico
3. Imabench
4. Citrakayah

Judges:
1. SeventhProfessor
2. dtaylor971

Ok I'm pretty new, but could I be a challenger? I completely understand if you say no...

I am admittedly a little bit skeptical towards having such a new member as the challenger, but if you would like to be a guard or a judge, you are more than welcome to sign up there.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:55:11 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:46:52 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Challenger:

Challenge Tower:
1. Thett3
2. ConservativePolitico
3. Imabench
4. Citrakayah

Judges:
1. SeventhProfessor
2. dtaylor971

This is a tower of death... The guards have a combined 598 wins...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:55:51 PM

^ PS. We have 598 combined wins tower-mates. Wow.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:57:47 PM
At 12/4/2013 10:55:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

^ PS. We have 598 combined wins tower-mates. Wow.

That... is ridiculous.

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 10:58:38 PM
As CP pointed out, the current tower has a combined 598 wins. Let only the daring accept!