Presidential Interview 2 : TUF

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 8:38:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Question

You have always advocated voting as a primary issue that needs to be addressed in this site. Whether it is lack of voting or the quality of the voting. What is your goals and plans for increasing the number and quality of votes, and how do you seek to implement them practically?

Answer

"I have been asked the same question by airmax in an interview which is going to be made public soon, so I will try to phrase my answer a little differently here.

I think the key aspect in increasing voting is driving a motivation for people to vote. Currently, there isn't really one. But if voting continues to decline, we can pretty much expect debating to start dying as well. Becuase I don't want that to happen, I have multiple ideas in preventing voting from decreasing.

I think we need to give the voters more reasons to vote.

The biggest thing, is showing them that their votes are heavily appreciated. I think awarding members publicly in threads, will put a heavy emphasis for members to aspire to voting better. Even just finding great votes, and making them public, to let members know that they did something good, will help in voting motives. I also want to push for member feedback, by asking questions like "What would inspire you to vote more?" and then taking those ideas and working them into my own goals.

On the more technical side, I have ideas for updates that would support such ideas. My "Give an award" idea, would allow members to get little stickers attached to their profile, that when viewed, will show their achievements. If members are awarded in such a way, they may be more willing to make more votes as well as inspire others. I am very attached to the idea Larztheloser gave of implementing a vote ranking. I think adjusting the voting leaderboard to show members with the highest surplus of positive votes, would be the best way to recognize great votes. These are all things that I will work with Juggle on, but I think it is important to remember that even without these things, increasing voting is entirely possible."

Question

Imabench has pressed an issue of banning in his current platform. How do you as a president feel about banning in itself? This is including people whom spam polls, harass people, or just bring unwanted and bad content to the the site.

Answer

I think the best way to handle banning, is from what we have seen already with airmax. Airmax on balance, has proved himself to be a really fair mod, and usually will warn people about their conduct, before outright banning them. In fact, he goes so far as to give warnings to even the most repeat offenders, who have shown good conduct elsewhere. I think banning a member is a very serious affair that shouldn't be handled lightly. Some of the best members on this site, have performed in ways that may seem malicious to some, but have intentions of doing good. A prime example of this, was when Larztheloser wanted to help the website with an update he had worked on. While the intentions of his actions were good, they were a conflict of interest for others. While ultimately establishing that line is a very subjective matter, I think a mod who is patient, willing to understand, and compassionate will be able to make the right decision. This kind of moderator will best know what to do in situations like Larztheloser's.

But this is where the president and the moderators influence are, and should be entirely different. The moderator is a working conduit for juggle and must act as an advocate for their policies above even his own interests at times as shown in the above example. The president gets to act as an advocate for the community. So I think now that they are officially two seperate entities, more work can be done with the company to potentially prevent such situations.

So in direct regards to Imabench's liberal banning policy, I would have to say that I think it is a bad idea, despite the support it's gotten. His personal involvement in flame wars, makes his banning policy more exclusively fit his definition of an idiot (even as revised in your interview with him). In such a case, we might see prominent members like heineken banned, where imabench was obviously more of an agressor, going as far to insult his wife. I think his definition of an idiot that fits the category for banning is going to be too loose, and I have no doubts that it will only cause more drama and negative feelings towards site authority, especially if he fits inside his own policy like a puzzle.

On the other side of that, I do think the trial process can be useful in more controversial areas. If a member has done something wrong, admits to it, and wants to do better, I see no problem with allowing a trial to determine whether he is brought back. Outside of that, trials can be avoided altogether if people are given decent enough warnings/

Question

What is your main long term goal with DDO, and how do you seek to accomplish it? What is your main priority and how do you plan on accomplishing it?

Answer

My long term goal is to make Debate.org a place where people can come and enjoy themselves, and the community. The community here on DDO, in my experience, is different from any other online community I have seen. The number of intelligent people on this site, absolutely astounds me. I want the intellectual, friendly, and enlightening aspect of this site to thrive. Lately, some feel that it has been degraded considerably. My goal is to stop the degradation in it's tracks, and get the community to it's peak. I plan on accomplishing that through putting in the legwork myself, and working with the community to get feedback. The only way to make this site better, is if someone listens... I mean REALLY listens. They have been voicing their ideas and have only been acknowledged and dis-regarded in most situations. I have taken a deeper look at what it takes to accomplish these things, and hearing the voices that have so much to offer, will ultimately change the way people have been viewing the site lately.

I seek to accomplish that by taking every idea as a serious option, getting feedback for conceptualizing each idea, and then finally putting that idea to work in a timely fashion. You shouldn't have to wait longer than neccesary for a good idea to be put in the works, and I plan on making good in putting effort into change.

Aesthetically, I can make all this happen by working on prioritizing site focuses with Juggle, working on different methods to bring interest to things that matter like debates/voting, focusing on emphasizing quality in those aspects, and building an environment where people will ultimately feel more comfortable in.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 8:41:44 PM
Question

Who do you consider your most serious competition and why?

Answer

Going strictly off of statistics, and polls, it would appear that Imabench may come closest to beating me in this election. However, I think it is important to remember that as, Ore_Ele mentioned, polls can be easily tampered with, and that many people change their minds before election day. As far as actual competition goes, I see Cody and his platform as having more value behind them then some of the other candidates. Cody has experience with presidency, and is very intelligent, which may pose him as a suitable options for many of the older members. With that said, I still think I have what it takes and more to be the Debate.org president.

Question

You have chosen Bobert as your VP. Can you give us some insight as to why you picked him and what he can bring to your platform and presidency?

Answer

I actually asked someone else originally, however I picked ClassicRobert because I thought he was the best person for the job, and knew he would represent and understand my ideals. The major thing that set him apart, was that he volunteered. To me that struck out to me, because it showed to me that he wanted change, and was willing to help in making that happen. And that's really what my campaign is all about. I have talked to ClassicRobert in the past and listened to his ideas, and seen him help with blade and rross's team debates, so I knew that he was serious business. Already, I am very greatful to have him on board with me. He has been giving me fantastic advice, and going above and beyond to help me out with this election. This is exactly the type of VP that I want, and ClassicRobert was the best choice I could have made. If we are elected, I know he will continue to put forth such an effort in making the site a better place in whatever way he can. The best part is, we are like minded in a lot of ways, and can coordinate with each other well. I have a lot of respect for him, and cannot express enough how great of an addition he will be to my presidency if elected.

Question

How much of a priority do you place around site quality? Would you rather go for views and bring more people to the site, or try and only keep members that are serious and bring forth quality.

Answer

Definitely the latter. New members are always nice to have, and we should make them feel welcome and comfortable, but DDO is a homely community that was originally centered around debating. Wit hthat said, I don't think bringing new members are bad, but I think they should do it through the right methods. If cool new updates were added to the debate section, we could actually get more quality debates as instead of getting young trolls. While I understand why Juggle brings traffic, I think that it is possible to keep serious members content while letting new members roam around. I think home page modifications that are centered around debating, would be an effective way to shift focus so much off the other stuff. Yraelz also suggested giving members an option that allows them to suscribe to certain individuals debates. Things like these are great ways to keep both juggle and the community happy, and I fully support getting them implemented.

Question

Another problem this site faces is quality debates, just not quality voting. How do you want to promote older members to debate more and also teach newer members to improve the quality of debates on the site?

Answer

I think starting tournaments, as ClassicRobert has already done, is always one good way. Also we should be reaching out to those members and start inviting them to help gain their interest. As far as new debaters go, I really like what airmax did with his 4 part tourney, one that supported noobs. However as far as noobs go, it will require a good amount of interest. Last time it didn't seem that their was more than a few that were interested in signing up. I don't think debates suffer as bad as voting does right now, but I think also by fixing voting efforts, more debates will start popping up as well.

Question

What is your first priority that you want to see accomplished if you get elected? The very first thing that you want done.

Answer

First thing I want to do upon being elected is work on getting my updates implemented. I will open a thread asking the community for customization of them. A lot of stuff is already in the works and nearing completion. Once I get user feedback on how to work the specifics, I can make an official presentation to juggle telling them this is what the community has decided they want, and then we can work out options on getting them implemented and soon. This will come first, because the other things are already in progress. The wait has been too long, and it's time for a change you have all been waiting for.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 10:14:13 PM
At 12/5/2013 8:48:46 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
You going to interview VPs?

I was going to duo a VP and Pres interview on a linked skype session if i can get my webcam working
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 10:51:13 PM
Thankyou for spending the time and effort into interviewing the presidents :)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 10:57:23 PM
At 12/5/2013 10:51:13 PM, TUF wrote:

I think you mean candidates ;)
Debate.org Moderator
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 11:01:33 PM
At 12/5/2013 10:14:13 PM, Mikal wrote:

I was going to duo a VP and Pres interview on a linked skype session if i can get my webcam working

I'd be happy to do so.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 11:05:25 PM
At 12/5/2013 11:01:33 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

I'd be happy to do so.

I didn't have you linked in my message that I sent Ima and tuf but they will fill you if they chose to accept.

I am trying to host the actual debate between these two if they let me and both VPS will be included.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 11:08:59 PM
At 12/5/2013 11:05:25 PM, Mikal wrote:

I'd be happy to do so.

I didn't have you linked in my message that I sent Ima and tuf but they will fill you if they chose to accept.

I am trying to host the actual debate between these two if they let me and both VPS will be included.

That would be amazing.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 11:12:11 PM
At 12/5/2013 11:08:59 PM, Citrakayah wrote:

I'd be happy to do so.

That would be amazing.

Sounds fun to me, though it should be noted that there are only seven days left until the actual vote.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 11:13:24 PM
At 12/5/2013 11:12:11 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I'd be happy to do so.

That would be amazing.

Sounds fun to me, though it should be noted that there are only seven days left until the actual vote.

Yeah I am waiting for city to accept my friend request and I am going to tag you all in this and push it fast.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 11:13:58 PM
At 12/5/2013 11:12:11 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I'd be happy to do so.

That would be amazing.

That is not very much time.

Over the weekend, then?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 11:14:25 PM
At 12/5/2013 10:57:23 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 12/5/2013 10:51:13 PM, TUF wrote:

I think you mean candidates ;)

yes lol
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227