Jump to topic:

Team Debates Progress Debut- Vote TUF!

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 6:31:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In our campaign process, you have probably heard a lot about how TUF and I plan to put in the legwork towards making site updates by programming things ourselves and then presenting them.

Though we do not have team debates finished yet, I thought that it would be nice to show you what we have so far :)

So without further ado, here is a video that TUF made. In this video, TUF outlines the process for creating a team debate.

In the below picture, how we see the team debates is shown. Featured is that speakers will be alternating by round.

http://i.imgur.com...

Some other projects that we have begun work on/began conceptualizing: a mobile app (for iPhone and Android), an algorithm for vote ranking to improve the leaderboards and making voting more fun, and a potential restructuring of the home page.

We want to hear any and all suggestions for how we can improve team debates, updates that you want to see, etc. We want to do what is best for the DDO community, and the only way we can do so is by hearing these suggestions.

Vote TUF/ClassicRobert!

https://www.youtube.com...
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 6:57:10 PM
I actually was planning on making a thread asking for member advice soon. Your feedback is ultimately what is needed going forward.

Here are some key questions that we need feedback on:

1. Would you like an option to allow the team to pick up a round if one member forfeits?
2. How many people per team should the max be?
3. What additional voting categories should there be?
4. What additional things should be added or changed?
5. Should there be a separate ranking category for team debates?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 12:39:04 AM
It seems like you're asking for general improvement opportunities here so I would like to weigh in. I would like to see a voting option that allows for a vote minimum rather than a debate voting period.

For instance, a debate instigator could open a debate topic with a three vote minimum to conclude the voting process. The voting period would close only after at least three votes are entered to decide a victory. To expand on this you could possibly designate specific voters or an ELO minimum to vote on a debate visible to any contender accepting the debate.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 1:30:00 AM
Wow, this is impressive to see the work you guys are putting into this.

What are the details of this voting algorithm?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 5:27:58 AM
At 12/7/2013 1:30:00 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

The voting algorithm is more in its conceptualization stage, but we have a few ideas. We can adopt something similar to what Lars gave us a few months ago, or we could also have it be based on an up down arrow choice next to the vote.

The algorithm would be for the up down arrow choice idea, and its goal would be to weight the choice by the person rating the vote. This means that someone who has done twenty debates, has 500 forum posts, is active in the opinions or polls section (though this part will probably receive less weighting than the other categories), will have have their choice of up or down count more than a new user's choice would. Then, after voters receive certain ratings, they would be potentially eligible to have an award added to their profile.

The goal of the algorithm is just to protect against people who go out and spam posts, or people who would be more likely to vote down a vote because it was for the other debater.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 5:32:39 AM
At 12/7/2013 12:39:04 AM, 2-D wrote:
It seems like you're asking for general improvement opportunities here so I would like to weigh in. I would like to see a voting option that allows for a vote minimum rather than a debate voting period.

For instance, a debate instigator could open a debate topic with a three vote minimum to conclude the voting process. The voting period would close only after at least three votes are entered to decide a victory. To expand on this you could possibly designate specific voters or an ELO minimum to vote on a debate visible to any contender accepting the debate.

All good ideas, and we'll see what we can do :)

Perhaps a way to change the voting period idea would be to have a vote minimum in addition to time period, rather than instead of. This way, it could be so whichever comes last concludes the debate; if it's just been going on for far too long, the vote minimum can conclude it, and if the vote minimum is reached quickly, well, we don't necessarily want voting to just stop there, so it would go until the time limit. Would that be good, or would you rather have it be an option that would not work simultaneously with time periods?

Cheers.

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 6:20:30 AM
At 12/7/2013 5:27:58 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 12/7/2013 1:30:00 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

The voting algorithm is more in its conceptualization stage, but we have a few ideas. We can adopt something similar to what Lars gave us a few months ago, or we could also have it be based on an up down arrow choice next to the vote.

The algorithm would be for the up down arrow choice idea, and its goal would be to weight the choice by the person rating the vote. This means that someone who has done twenty debates, has 500 forum posts, is active in the opinions or polls section (though this part will probably receive less weighting than the other categories), will have have their choice of up or down count more than a new user's choice would. Then, after voters receive certain ratings, they would be potentially eligible to have an award added to their profile.

The goal of the algorithm is just to protect against people who go out and spam posts, or people who would be more likely to vote down a vote because it was for the other debater.

This vote weighting algorithm would preferably have a cap on experience at some point (your up down vote shouldn't be much more heavily weighted than my up down vote). Really, it's just a precaution against spamming.

2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 11:48:45 AM
At 12/7/2013 5:32:39 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 12/7/2013 12:39:04 AM, 2-D wrote:

All good ideas, and we'll see what we can do :)

Perhaps a way to change the voting period idea would be to have a vote minimum in addition to time period, rather than instead of. This way, it could be so whichever comes last concludes the debate; if it's just been going on for far too long, the vote minimum can conclude it, and if the vote minimum is reached quickly, well, we don't necessarily want voting to just stop there, so it would go until the time limit. Would that be good, or would you rather have it be an option that would not work simultaneously with time periods?

Cheers.

Yes, "whichever comes last concludes the debate," sounds like a good way to implement this. I appreciate your focus on site improvements.

I haven't had major problems with the voting process but I would use this for every debate. Having a guarantee that at least a couple few people would weigh in would make debates more satisfying.