Jump to topic:

Pet Peves.

Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:01:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Simple topic really; I want to improve on my debating so since everybody is a voter I just want to know what are common Pet Peves, (annoyances that just tick you off) that make you want to vote against a person. Just curious really.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:08:57 PM
I dislike users with names that are or otherwise similar to "Sky_ace25."

Also, I dislike arguments that rely on "LOL MY OPPONENT HAS THE BURDEN OF PROOF, LULZ." I think that a debater should always present an argument, regardless of the circumstances. It certainly can't hurt. The debate over burden of proof will never be resolved. To maximize your potential points, always provide a case. Simple as that.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:13:00 PM
I get really annoyed at incorrect spelling, and I grow horns about purposeful misspelling/ignoring "spellcheck" button.

Like with "Peves."
Don't I take care of them all?
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:15:03 PM
At 1/7/2010 7:13:00 PM, brittwaller wrote:
I get really annoyed at incorrect spelling, and I grow horns about purposeful misspelling/ignoring "spellcheck" button.

Like with "Peves."

Ahh..lol fair enough =P.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:19:39 PM
5 round debates (unless it's one of the "Pick Your Own" debates where the first round or 2 is used for clarification purposes) ... I think debates could be 2-3 rounds and still be sufficient. 5 round debates are usually boring and unnecessarily long.
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:20:30 PM
- When a debater completely ignores a key point to my argument in the last round, so that the voters completely forget that such a point exists.

- When I'm told, "Well, you're wrong," with absolutely no explanation given.

- When people call me mongoose instead of mongeese.

- When voters votebomb.

- When my opponent forfeits, and still wins.

- When voters apply new arguments to what my opponent said, even though I could easily refute those new arguments if my opponent mentioned them, making it an advantage that my opponent never mentioned those arguments.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:24:44 PM
Votebombers, Trolls, poor spelling/grammar, and idiots who don't take the site's debates seriously (joke debates, rap battles, and Yo Momma fights excluded).
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:26:18 PM
Thanks people; I'm just going to say a broad thank you to everybody who contributes to this, it makes more sense than me posting 500 "thank yous" to each individual person who posts something.

So, thank you all and I thank the people in advance who may or may not contribute more pet peeves; they are indeed very helpful!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 7:52:48 PM
Spelling and grammar is a huge one for me, words such as your/you're and there/their in particular. The second I see those in a debate I vote against the person for spelling and grammar.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:04:36 PM
In terms of members on DDO?

Any member who portrays the attitude of specifically being a teacher and not a student.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:14:52 PM
At 1/7/2010 9:11:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Condescension.

That is the most ironic thing that a fascist could say.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:19:00 PM
At 1/7/2010 9:14:52 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/7/2010 9:11:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Condescension.

That is the most ironic thing that a fascist could say.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the most ironic would be something like "I love freedom." :D

Plus, I may be an authoritarian, but that doesn't necessitate a condescending attitude, so far as I am aware. :(
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:21:41 PM
At 1/7/2010 7:08:57 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I think that a debater should always present an argument, regardless of the circumstances. It certainly can't hurt. The debate over burden of proof will never be resolved. To maximize your potential points, always provide a case. Simple as that.

The person who makes the resolution has to defend it and bears the burden of proof for it. At least this was always what I was taught.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:22:40 PM
At 1/7/2010 9:19:00 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Plus, I may be an authoritarian, but that doesn't necessitate a condescending attitude, so far as I am aware. :(

Well, in order to be an authority hellbent on making sure the population follows your strict rules, you need to be condescending since you're the one making those rules.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:30:05 PM
Pet Peeves: Not defining vague or broad terms in your resolution, not making a resolution if you created the debate, people who insult their opponent for no reason whatsoever, people who forfeit, people who bring up new arguments in the last round, people who make nonsensical debates (opinion debates (I think ___), joke debates, etc. I don't mind debating humorous subjects at all in fact I think they can be hilarious (see 90% Brian Eggleston's debates which are a great example of a humorous topic debated in a humorous way.

Simply posting 3 sentences that are jokes should be reserved to the forums.

Another pet peeve would probably be consistently poor spelling.

Another would be wall of text where the debate isn't organized at all it is just one long paragraph with no enters.

Another yet is someone who accepts someone's debates and simply agrees with it or concedes in the first round just to prove a point that they agree with the opponents resolution.

Another would be defending any of the above actions.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:47:04 PM
At 1/7/2010 9:04:36 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Any member who portrays the attitude of specifically being a teacher and not a student.

We're all guilty of that, I think, though some people tend to do it more than others.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:47:05 PM
At 1/7/2010 9:45:50 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/7/2010 9:40:46 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
People who say "I'll let my opponent go first."

See Page 1, Post 3.

Cool, we agree
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 9:48:48 PM
At 1/7/2010 9:47:04 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/7/2010 9:04:36 PM, Kleptin wrote:

We're all guilty of that, I think, though some people tend to do it more than others.

There's definitely a breaking point. We all have mixes of our strengths and weaknesses and of course, we're going to be proud of what we know. There are people on the forum, past and present, who simply see DDO members as nothing more than an audience.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
burningpuppies101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 10:14:34 PM
1. don't make arguments that don't make logical sense
2. don't make fun of your opponent.
3. warrant your claims
4. evidence is nice when needed
5. debate, dont shout
Omnes te moriturum amant 

http://www.debate.org...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 10:17:58 PM
At 1/7/2010 10:13:31 PM, patsox834 wrote:
"I don't have pet peeves; I have major psychotic flacking hatreds."
- George Carlin.

Whoa, how did you get passed the profanity filter?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:19:49 AM
I hate people who just give up on a debate, or come here (amongst the regular retard influx) create a debate and forfeit all the rounds.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 5:18:50 PM
I'm going to just throw in mine also:

I absolutely hate above all a person who makes a new argument in the final round when their opponent can not make a refute. It is the biggest sign of disrespect a person may ever get from their opponent and it makes a mocker of honorable debates.
bonnieluvs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 5:27:59 PM
What makes me decide on who to vote on is how interesting the person is during a debate i hate people who are boring and hate it when they make thing personal Dx it gets annoying Dx
bonnie was here yesterday