Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

How to approach an LD Case

Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 5:01:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Since, I've noticed many people seem to be posting about "help" with an LD case I am writing this step-by-step guide so people will understand how to approach a topic very easily, and I will be referencing the current NFL topic.

This is obviously longer than just copying somebody else's case, but for any serious debaters out their I promise you that at the end of this process you will do significantly better in your debates if you are having trouble.

Resolved: Economic sanctions ought not be used to achieve foreign policy objectives.

Step 1: You want to first define the topic. First look at it clearly, it is obviously political and since we are talking about foreign policy we can infer that countries are involved. Now then, are we limited to one country? What limits are places on this resolution? Clearly one can see that this topic is meant to be broadly argued, most likely specific examples will not help too much with this resolution. Now then when it comes to defining the topic look for words that are key, "ought, Economic sanctions, achieve, foreign policy objectives". For the basic words a typical wordnet.princeton.web will usually suffice for a good definition that is credible.
However, what do you do for the big ones, Economic sanctions and foreign policy objectives? Think foreign policy; what is the highest authority in the world that deals with foreign policy? Once you figure it out go to their website and search for definitions, policies, current events, historic events, anything that can apply to help give your case strength. Remember that this topic also does not include a time context; if the U.S. wanted for one second to adopt an embargo with China, why is that embargo wrong even in that one second? This is LD. (Key note: Do not use biased definitions, they must be sliding or a judge will never accept your definition; your definition if it gives you an advantage at all, should not be completely obvious).

2. Do background research: You need to do some background research, you need to know the topic through and through. This is very easily done simply by looking at relevant search material about Economic sanctions, plan it out, record any interesting websites, think what is the big picture here.

3. Brain storm arguments: Do not worry about V's or VC's here, think only about your contentions. Typically a good case should have 2-3 contentions, (for the Pro because you have 6 minutes opening constructive you may decide to make 4 contentions, however for the Neg I highly advise against it). Make a list of Aff and Neg contentions and you want to try to get about 5-10 for each side written down. These do not need evidence you just need the idea.

4. Pick your arguments: For each side find the three (or 2 or 4) contentions that you: A. Believe are the strongest. B. Are able to argue with optimally some background information already in your mind C. That you can attempt to see a Value that will apply to your case. After you pick your arguments look at them carefully and see, what is my big picture, what is the main "bam" thing I'm arguing.

Think what value can apply to this. Your value typically speaking needs to be: A. sliding-it must be arguable by both the Pro and the Con though it may be a little biased toward your side. B.-It needs to have a very clear link to this topic, don't go for abstracts as you will rarely win. C.-It needs to be well defined, even if you are arguing Preserving Liberties you must have a definition. D.-Broad, remember the value is only meant to be the umbrella with which the entire debate is under, it is the context. It is not meant to be the targeted perspective.

Upon achieving your value ask yourself: 1. Can I argue this context from the opposing side? 2. Can a complete idiot understand the meaning of this? 3. Can I provide a clear link to the topic as to why my value is relevant. (Preserving Clowns has nothing to do with this topic, while Justice may apply better as foreign policy can be achieving proper justice). Justice is a very common value in many topics, I will not say it is the best one for this topic, but to give a general idea of a good value. Is justice sliding, yes. Is justice broad, yes. Can I define justice with a definition, well yah. Your value criterion is much harder as this is your direct link to the value, this is the lens we are seeing the topic through. For example: Preserving a fair judicial system, is a VC under Justice. In the broad topic of Justice we are zooming in to the key feature of Preserving a fair judicial system.

Your VC must have a clear link to your VALUE not the TOPIC, if it does not you will lose for sure the VC argument which is one of the most important. For you see lets say your opponent is winning the Value argument; so lets say his value is Morality. Well you can say sure lets accept his value, but take my VC as Preserving a fair judicial system best achieves Morality for "x"reason. Hence the entire debate will still in some way be zoomed into your perspective putting a burden on your opponent or having to prove his contentions under your lens. (Remember though your VC must also not be too biased, else it will never be accepted by a judge, your VC must also be a little bit sliding).

5. Now that you have your V and your VC, start getting your contention ready. Each contention should have
1. Quick intro with a quick summary of contention, "My first contention is that Economic sanctions disrupt global trade" It is quick, brief, and a judge can easily write that down. Remember you want an easy way for your judge to remember your topic.
2. Your Evidence, understand this might be a quote or a historic event. Do not worry too much about the specific quality of evidence other than can you argue it and does it apply to this contention. LD is not meant to revolve around evidence.
3. Your analysis, MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR CONTENTION. This is where you say this is why we must negate/affirm the resolution, or else "x" will happen or some "x" negative effect will occur, or we will achieve "x" positive etc. Make sure after this you provide a clear link as to how this contention achieves your Value and VC. A very common refute is, "my opponent never provides a link between his contention and his value". You must always have a link to your Value Criterion and then you must explain how thus you are proving your value. (This is more high-level debate and if you are a novice do not worry too much about this part, this is one of the harder parts of debate; the value and vc) Quick closing (your judge will never remember this part, so don't be flashy) and move on.

6. Now then; in terms of fluency make sure you practice reading your case so that you will not stutter. You also want to make sure you can read your entire case; typically a good speaker will have about 4 pages of text they are reading in the 6 minutes; for Neg this is obviously less since you must also refute your opponents case.

7. Just put all the connections now; I affirm the resolution, My value is blah because it best relates because of blah. A key point in this debate is blah and thus the VC should be blah because it best helps achieve the resolution. (Somewhere here say, I offer up the following definitions and make them; don't rely on your opponent to be fair). My first contention is blah....My second etc....A quick summary if you have excess time or else just say "for these reasons their is no other option but to vote for the affirmation of the resolution, Thank you and I stand ready for Cross-X).

8. Optional: Make cards to prepare for common arguments you think you will encounter; (LD does not rely too much on cards or evidence, but the less thinking you have to do during prep time and the more preparing will definitely be a big plus).

9. Congratulations you have your own case and you are 100% prepared to argue it without looking like a fool.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 5:08:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
When it comes to the actual arguing you can get tips but your mostly on your own because everybody has a different style that works best for them. Once you figure out what yours is you will be quite comfortable in a debate; even if you are a little bit anxious to get it started =].
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 5:54:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lincoln-Douglas Debate, it's a moral and value debate. This is how to write a case for that type of debate.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:28:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 5:35:49 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:
Can you tell me what an LD case is i'm lost?

http://lmgtfy.com...
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
bambiii
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:36:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It is rediculously hard to come from policy and try to write an LD case nonetheless do a round of LD.
so just keep that in mind that you would have to completely switch your thinking.
<3We say what we feel then we stop ourselves and just walk away.<3
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:38:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 6:28:55 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 1/8/2010 5:35:49 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:
Can you tell me what an LD case is i'm lost?

http://lmgtfy.com...

O.k that was funny lol
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:41:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 6:36:53 PM, bambiii wrote:
It is rediculously hard to come from policy and try to write an LD case nonetheless do a round of LD.
so just keep that in mind that you would have to completely switch your thinking.

Well I <3 LD and I've never done Policy =P so I can try to answer any questions that you might have =P or any advice =P.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
bonnieluvs
Posts: 130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:42:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 5:54:43 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas Debate, it's a moral and value debate. This is how to write a case for that type of debate.

Thanks alot i'm sorry i just used to CX lol
bonnie was here yesterday
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:43:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 6:42:50 PM, bonnieluvs wrote:
At 1/8/2010 5:54:43 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Lincoln-Douglas Debate, it's a moral and value debate. This is how to write a case for that type of debate.

Thanks alot i'm sorry i just used to CX lol

Lol it's ok we're all used to our types of debate =P. To enter another type is like entering another world 0.0...course I did pretty well my first time at PFD XD =P.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:44:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Eh, for some reason, I cannot help but feel that you've made it more complicated than it needs to be, granted I haven't read the OP and feel that approaching an LD case can be summed up in a couple of sentences.
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 6:57:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Well yes and no; I mean this is more like it's your first time and your completely clueless-I mean yah eventually their are way more faster ways.

Also, I'm just annoyed of all these noobs who need so much "help" with their case and keep spamming up forums.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
bambiii
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 7:05:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 6:57:28 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Well yes and no; I mean this is more like it's your first time and your completely clueless-I mean yah eventually their are way more faster ways.

Also, I'm just annoyed of all these noobs who need so much "help" with their case and keep spamming up forums.

wow.
feelin the love sir.
<3We say what we feel then we stop ourselves and just walk away.<3
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 7:12:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 7:05:56 PM, bambiii wrote:
At 1/8/2010 6:57:28 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Well yes and no; I mean this is more like it's your first time and your completely clueless-I mean yah eventually their are way more faster ways.

Also, I'm just annoyed of all these noobs who need so much "help" with their case and keep spamming up forums.

wow.
feelin the love sir.

Sorry, but their many people who like to post so that they can steal other people's cases and to get arguments, because they think "it's a waste of their life to actually work", I mean no offense to actual people who are hard-working debaters I apologize if I offended you.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
bambiii
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 7:24:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/8/2010 7:12:48 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
At 1/8/2010 7:05:56 PM, bambiii wrote:
At 1/8/2010 6:57:28 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Well yes and no; I mean this is more like it's your first time and your completely clueless-I mean yah eventually their are way more faster ways.

Also, I'm just annoyed of all these noobs who need so much "help" with their case and keep spamming up forums.

wow.
feelin the love sir.

Sorry, but their many people who like to post so that they can steal other people's cases and to get arguments, because they think "it's a waste of their life to actually work", I mean no offense to actual people who are hard-working debaters I apologize if I offended you.

eh
it happens :P
<3We say what we feel then we stop ourselves and just walk away.<3