Jump to topic:

Questions for Airmax regarding the election

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 11:30:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Did innomen help in your receiving of mod powers from Juggle when you became president, and if so, how crucial was that support to your getting mod powers?

2. Do you have any reservations about supporting either of the presidential candidates receiving mod powers if they became president?

3. Do you think Juggle would have reservations about either of the candidates receiving mod powers?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 1:11:51 PM
At 12/10/2013 11:30:43 AM, phantom wrote:
1. Did innomen help in your receiving of mod powers from Juggle when you became president, and if so, how crucial was that support to your getting mod powers?

2. Do you have any reservations about supporting either of the presidential candidates receiving mod powers if they became president?

3. Do you think Juggle would have reservations about either of the candidates receiving mod powers?

I don't know if Airmax will answer all of these or not, but here's what you need to know:

It is not likely that anyone would be granted moderator powers without the endorsement of another moderator, because in the past it has principally been the judgement of previous moderators which has determined who was fit to become a new moderator.

If TUF or Bsh1 wins election, that does not mean that they will become a moderator. It doesn't mean that they won't become a moderator eventually, but that someone is elected does not mean that they will be given mod authority. However, if a candidate wins on a particular platform that relates to mod policy, the communal endorsement of that platform would likely have some influence on how mods moderate because it will indicate that the community has spoken.
Tsar of DDO
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 1:44:00 PM
At 12/10/2013 1:11:51 PM, YYW wrote:

I don't know if Airmax will answer all of these or not, but here's what you need to know:

It is not likely that anyone would be granted moderator powers without the endorsement of another moderator, because in the past it has principally been the judgement of previous moderators which has determined who was fit to become a new moderator.

Thanks.

If TUF or Bsh1 wins election, that does not mean that they will become a moderator.

Hence my questions...

It doesn't mean that they won't become a moderator eventually, but that someone is elected does not mean that they will be given mod authority.

My questions wouldn't make any sense if I thought that.

However, if a candidate wins on a particular platform that relates to mod policy, the communal endorsement of that platform would likely have some influence on how mods moderate because it will indicate that the community has spoken.

True.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 1:53:38 PM
At 12/10/2013 1:44:00 PM, phantom wrote:

Thanks.

Of course. There are a lot of misconceptions people have about when and under what circumstances a person becomes a moderator. And I am more than reasonably sure that no one of the candidates in this election will become moderators. I can't say more than that, though.

If TUF or Bsh1 wins election, that does not mean that they will become a moderator.

Hence my questions...

Right. My hope is that I've cleared up some of that. I would be exceptionally surprised if Airmax answered the second question -because doing so might yield an undue influence in the election. It would be beneath him to manipulate the election in favor of either candidate -so I am confident that he won't.

It doesn't mean that they won't become a moderator eventually, but that someone is elected does not mean that they will be given mod authority.

I think there are a lot of people in the community that were asking the question I answered, though, even if it was beyond the scope of your inquiry. Hence, I included it.

However, if a candidate wins on a particular platform that relates to mod policy, the communal endorsement of that platform would likely have some influence on how mods moderate because it will indicate that the community has spoken.

True.
Tsar of DDO
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 4:39:48 PM
At 12/10/2013 1:53:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 12/10/2013 1:44:00 PM, phantom wrote:

Thanks.

Of course. There are a lot of misconceptions people have about when and under what circumstances a person becomes a moderator. And I am more than reasonably sure that no one of the candidates in this election will become moderators. I can't say more than that, though.

Interesting. I could see Bsh1 getting mod powers eventually, but you know better than me so.

Hence my questions...

Right. My hope is that I've cleared up some of that. I would be exceptionally surprised if Airmax answered the second question -because doing so might yield an undue influence in the election. It would be beneath him to manipulate the election in favor of either candidate -so I am confident that he won't.

Yes, I would definitely understand if he didn't answer the question. However, it could help in DDO making the better choice which is overall better for the site.

I think there are a lot of people in the community that were asking the question I answered, though, even if it was beyond the scope of your inquiry. Hence, I included it.

Fair enough.

True.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2013 9:47:21 PM

Innomen's endorsement of me becoming a mod is entirely why I was trusted by Juggle with moderator responsibilities.

YYW is correct that I am uncomfortable providing an answer here that might manipulate the election. I will say that members are electing a DDO President, not a moderator. Innomen, Juggle and I have said this many times before that the DDO presidential election has nothing to do with electing a moderator. These are entirely and necessarily separated roles. The role of the president has nothing to do with being a moderator.

Juggle naturally has reservations about making someone a mod that they don't know well, or that doesn't match various qualifications. This is the reason why they ultimately decide based on the recommendations of someone that they know and trust.
Debate.org Moderator
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:44:38 PM
At 12/10/2013 9:47:21 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Innomen's endorsement of me becoming a mod is entirely why I was trusted by Juggle with moderator responsibilities.

YYW is correct that I am uncomfortable providing an answer here that might manipulate the election. I will say that members are electing a DDO President, not a moderator. Innomen, Juggle and I have said this many times before that the DDO presidential election has nothing to do with electing a moderator. These are entirely and necessarily separated roles. The role of the president has nothing to do with being a moderator.

I understand your reluctance to answer the questions. That's fine. I know that becoming a mod is not part of the presidency. However, I thought it was an important factor as having a moderator president would be better than not.

Juggle naturally has reservations about making someone a mod that they don't know well, or that doesn't match various qualifications. This is the reason why they ultimately decide based on the recommendations of someone that they know and trust.