Jump to topic:

The true role of a president

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:55:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello Debate.org. We are one day from elections, and I would just like to tell you what I believe the true role of a president is. The reason behind this is because I have seen that there are multiple views of what that role actually is, which will be a large factor in determining what happens during this new term in presidency.

So what is my definition of a good president? One's ability to provide service to the community, and do it as effectively as possible. With that definition, I don't take a particular stance on banning policies, removal of site features, or conflict resolution as much as others might because I don't think they are particularly important to the role of being a president. To me, an effective president can find a way to service as many members of the society he serves through his own creative means, driven through feedback and perseverance. Not to get confused, that being professional and direct is not important, just different then "conflict resolution".

Many of the "conflicts" that have occurred in this election, I think is based strictly on this difference of idealism, which is why I feel the need to talk about this.

I do not intend to lose sight of why I originally ran for this election, and certain influencing factors, have attempted to persuade my true goals as a president. ClassicRobert for example. CR is an intelligent individual, and well respected on this site, but he too has very a different outlook in his presidential candidate. When Cody announced his candidacy, I had prepared honest heartfelt document that expressed my true intentions for running on a deeper level, and also had expressed my respect for my opposition, and my positive outlook on the direction of the site regardless of the winner. Upon presenting it to my vice president, I was advised against posting it as was. The document itself was perceived as "whiny, and accepting defeat". I was then offered suggestions to change the document, that after reviewing, I had determined defeated the original purpose of me wanting to post it at all. In the end, I determined I would think on things, and never ended up posting it. This was the first warning sign I had at the difference in true purpose of being a president that me and CR had. I wish I had been said something earlier," but I didn"t see it originally as complete opposition to my purpose. As communication continued, I saw more and more signs. The more important parts of my platform, I could tell were not viewed in the same light as him. I saw it necessary to make it clear that programming, and web development were not what the ultimate goal of this, their inclusion specifically, to show the willingness of hard work and dedication, while focusing on how to achieve such results without them. Our visions are very different. I see that. ClassicRobert see's that. I only wish it had been realized sooner, as opposed to a few days before the official election.

I do not intend to lose sight of why I wanted to do this. Many things have come up in the past few days, that I will address. One of them is questioning the reasons of why I do what I do. It has been asserted that they have been done to earn friends. I can urge this charge be put to rest. If you would choose to look at things philosophically, there is a selfish motivational gain to most actions. Most people will not simply do something for the sake of doing it, for no reason whatsoever. So if you are to wonder my reasons for wanting to serve the community, I will tell you it is for a feeling. The feeling of satisfaction at having done something good, at having made someone's life easier, or better, does make me feel good. It is a continuing reason why I love to serve. If you wish to think that this is a selfish motivation, than technically, you would be right. But I can tell you, that I think any persons honest and true intentions to serve are probably for the same reasons. So that leads me to another issue that has been brought up, and that is the capacity of a president who is able to have feelings. If having feelings is at all to hinder the ability of a president, I would say that it would only in having to make complex decisions that can harm another individual, in which, I would agree feelings may need to be replaced with logic. However, if you are to feed that the link between feeling a genuine satisfaction in accomplishing goals and serving, such a link may be inaccurate. I don't think even the current president who has had his own abilities marveled at, has had to displace his need to feel accomplished at the great things he has done. A president should be viewed as a compassionate human being, and not some robot set out to distinctly carry out orders. All this said, I would say that there is no reason for anyone to believe that I do not have such abilities to communicate effectively with any Juggle to make the best possible decisions for the site. I cannot argue any continuing doubts on the subject, and neither should it be argued, as I have never been the president of the site. It is impossible to say what I will or won't be able to do as effectively as I have made it a goal to do, because I have not physically led. I hope others see that. We can only judge a person's ability by the work they have done. I have not moved any mountains. What I have done, are only baby steps to what I think can happen. I know that as president with more community support, I can take those baby steps, and turn them into long strides. I also know that such steps can continue to be taken without presidency. It is because I want bigger steps, that I think my role in this society is best utilized in fitting the role of that of a president.

The sole purpose of this thread, is to display that there is a difference in the way some of us look at what is needed to become an effective president, not to say that those with the different ideals are wrong. I realize that my beliefs are subjective, and cannot expect every member to follow suit with them, and ultimately the decision of what type of president leads, will be up to a majority. Do we want a president who serves, or do we want a president who can hope, try to convince, and wait for results? The decision is yours.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:41:22 AM
A present acts as a liaison between Juggle and the DDO community. That is a president's first responsibility -but you've only served on site improvement projects and not in the administration, so, I guess it would be unreasonable to expect you to know that. Well, unreasonable unless you've read anything that Airmax, Ore-Ele or anyone else who has actually been involved in the actual administration have said to describe the role of the president.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 4:30:03 AM
This post is in reference to things expressed by YYW, and echoed by Imabench.

Because we have discussed this many times in the past, my response to this is not for YYW, but is a response for those viewing this. YYW's perceptions on myself, are understandable, but I believe them to be an inaccurate assessment of my abilities. I will go over the main things that he has voiced, one by one, not as an argument, but to demonstrate where the differences in perceptions meet reality.

#1: Being liked. I have addressed this in my "the role of a president" thread, but I will re-iterate here. I think to guess at someone's true motivations, rather than taking them for their word, is equivalent to assuming that the person in question has not been truthful. My reply to this, is that my true motivation is the satisfaction of service, and accomplishing goals. I don"t think I have given any reason for anyone to believe that I have lied about this intention. Upon joining the United States Army, one of the biggest values I have learned to improve on, is personal integrity. "Doing what is right when no one is looking", was the definition given by my leadership, and something that I have worked on being the best I can be at. That said, I don"t think I have given any reason for someone to doubt that my true intentions are in service, not in friendship. I cannot control the determination made by an individual, but I can hope that my actions in this category speak for themselves. Another thing to consider is how "making friends" will benefit me if I am to become a president. If the position of the president is anything as serious as Mr. YYW thinks it is, then what sense does it make for me to apply for a position, that if anything, hurts my chances at making friends rather than help? I don"t think this charge adds up, but I urge anyone with a doubt to make this decision for yourselves.

#2: Site Development VS presidential duties. Again I can understand where YYW"S views come here. However I cannot stress enough, how simple site development goals are not the most important part of my platform. This was also one of the primary reasons I think me and CR may not have been on the same page as well. The ultimate goal with including this as part of my platform, was to re-inforce the idea of the lengths I am willing to go, and the work I am willing to put in as president. One of the main leading mis-perceptions about my campaign, is that it is strictly about site development. Despite my efforts to get rid of this perception, it unfortunately has remained. If I didn"t think most, if not all, of the same results could be accomplished without updates, I wouldn"t be running. Everything as far as development plans go, has an initial plan that can be accomplished until such things can be brought about. The last thing I want to say on this issue, is that everything that I have learned/am learning in web development and programming, was specifically for this site. It is important to remember that, because my only intention is for the site to grow, and that is why I have poured hours and hours of my own time into learning such things. So there is no dis-agreement here at all. I believe a president shouldn"t put the reliability of their platform on external forces, and I have not either.

#3: "who is best able to represent DDO to Juggle" This is a very important one, because this is the one that I have had the most issue with. With all the respect in the world meant for YYW, I have not been able to see a clear point as to why I am not able to do this. The only link drawn, is that of my perceived priority of wanting friendship, is going to be a problem with this, as well as a bunch of comments about my "maturity". Let"s give this point the benefit of the doubt, and say hypothetically that my only goal in becoming president is because I want friends. Where exactly does wanting to have friends impede with one"s ability to communicate and establish an effective relationship with a company? In fact, doesn"t that trait actually improve one"s chances of building an effective relationship? With this aside, there is nothing that suggests any of the opposition he has supported, will be better in this area than myself. This is without even mentioning the fact that such a relationship has already been built, considering I have had conversations with Juggle"s representative (Alex) in the past, all discussing site direction, and ideas to improve it. With this said, I can see where some of the perceptions come, that YYW is aiming to be specifically against my candidacy, rather than him actually having a true faith in the abilities of my opposition.

#4: His VP left him, so he is untrustworthy. This is something I also addressed in my "role of a president thread" but will mention it here for those who may have missed it. CR and I have two different views of what the true role of a president is. No matter who broke it off, it was a better development for the both of us. ClassicRoberts view on presidency, from what I have gathered from our messages, isn"t aimed so much on service as it is on the public relations and appearance. I can agree that a president should be professional, but I don"t think conflict resolution is a responsibility of a president so much as it is that of a moderator. I do think that Conflict resolution can be worked on with deterrents set by a president, but in the end, the actual act of it isn"t in the direct hands of the president. CR isn"t the only one who shares these views of the power leadership should have, and that is fine. Again, determining what type of president should be at the head of Debate.org, is the decision of the voters. I think being open, honest, direct, authentic, and standing by the values in which you originally ran, are important. There were occurrences in my communications with CR, that I realized those things weren"t as important to him, as simply getting to the finish. I can understand his approach, but that is not what I am about, and going forward will try to stay away from regardless of persuasion from another party. So this leads to why I chose Cody as my VP. I have realized that finding a vice president doesn"t necessarily mean that the person has to have the same ideals as you do, just that their values do not contradict each others. In fact, I liked Cody"s ideals instantly from reading his platform, just did not think that with them, should there be absent the important things like service and site improvement. I think having Cody at my side in this election is perfect, because it allows us to accomplish more than one specific goal. I do not think of our relationship as that of a standard presidency/Vice presidency. I see him as an intellectual, responsible, and respectable figure that can add a different touch to this presidency that accomplishes an aspect of giving the community multiple factions of benefit. I think with his quality experience in communication and relations, and my drive for a better site environment, we are the perfect team. I made this decision very quickly, because I have experience with Cody. I have known him prior to most of the existing members here. He has been an honorable figure of intelligence, and good decision making from the spawn of my knowing him. I have no doubt that he can genuinely assist me in accomplishing a fantastic presidency. If I had a chance to go back, I can only see myself making the choice to include him as my VP even faster than I originally did.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 4:41:15 AM
CONT

These are the main things that I have consistently seen addressed. If I missed anything, I will go over it. Remember, this response is not intended to incur a debate, or "flame war". If anyone thinks the way I have handled YYW in the past was intended to be a flame war, I will happily re-direct you to our conversations so you can point out where these connections were. I believe that I handled him in a polite way, though I will admit that I initially was confronted with dis-belief, surprise, and a lot of un-resolved confusion which means that my utmost professional approach wasn"t as utilized as it could have been. After continued conversation, I received a grasp on the determination felt by YYW, and have handled him differently. I respect the passion I have seen, and have reminded myself that before any candidates had even presented themselves in the election, that his decision for his presidential candidate had already been made. These are his own choices, and I am in no place to dispute them, but by acknowledging them, I have begun to understand the pointlessness in a continued discussion. This is why this is again for anyone reading and keeping track with the conversations that have happened over the course of the past few days, and not intended for debate. If you have any questions in regards to anything that has been said here, or anything that has happened, please ask away, and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 4:52:25 AM
At 12/11/2013 1:55:40 AM, TUF wrote:
Do we want a president who serves, or do we want a president who can hope, try to convince, and wait for results?

I feel the need to clarify that this wasn't directed at any percieved inability to my opponents in this election, and was referencing myself.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 9:07:52 AM
@TUF

Have you ever run a debate tournament or something similar?

Writers tournament?

Gauntlet tournament?

Anything along those lines?

Just wondering, I haven't made my decision on who to vote for.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 9:30:04 AM
At 12/11/2013 9:07:52 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
@TUF

Have you ever run a debate tournament or something similar?

I have hosted fun engaging tourneys similar, but not specifically a debate tournament. I have had several plans made in the past for hosting one, but I had retracted a lot of them due to having current tournaments already going on, that I did not want to intrude on. Also I loved participating in tournaments slightly more than hosting them in my earlier days.

Writers tournament?

This is something that I have always wanted to do. In fact I was going to host one when these were a big hype, but famer had announced that he would be hosting one, and USM was also doing one as well. Eventually I had started engaging a lot of my interest into debating, voting, or playing mafia.

Gauntlet tournament?

I love the idea of the gauntlet tournament, but have not hosted one or participated in one at this time.

Anything along those lines?

I have hosted 2 rap tournaments (particularly because I find them to be very artistic and can display someone's ability to include cleverness, and realism into a song which I believe to be a satirical display of skill). I have hosted 2 voting tournaments, 1 voting nomination thread (assisting airmax), 1 prized voting competion, and 1 voting raffle.

Voting, is obviously where I have divulged most of my interests.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 9:53:39 AM
At 12/11/2013 9:52:16 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Is anyone actually reading all of this stuff, lol

Me.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 9:55:28 AM
At 12/11/2013 9:53:39 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 12/11/2013 9:52:16 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Is anyone actually reading all of this stuff, lol

Me.

What is wrong with you?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:02:56 AM
I am going to sleep, now. I should be on this after noon, and in the evening to answer any questions that may come up before the election. I do have plans tonight to have dinner with my mother who has just returned home to the country, so my time be shared between my cell phone, but I don't think the absence of my laptop should be too compromising.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:04:43 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:02:56 AM, TUF wrote:
I am going to sleep, now. I should be on this after noon, and in the evening to answer any questions that may come up before the election. I do have plans tonight to have dinner with my mother who has just returned home to the country, so my time be shared between my cell phone, but I don't think the absence of my laptop should be too compromising.

Question for you TUF: If you do not get elected, how mad will you be that you tried to buy the election with games consoles?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:09:58 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:04:43 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Question for you TUF: If you do not get elected, how mad will you be that you tried to buy the election with games consoles?

So freaking mad, that I will continue buying things like that for members who contribute, upon not being elected ;-)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:32:06 AM
At 12/11/2013 2:41:22 AM, YYW wrote:
A present acts as a liaison between Juggle and the DDO community. That is a president's first responsibility -but you've only served on site improvement projects and not in the administration, so, I guess it would be unreasonable to expect you to know that. Well, unreasonable unless you've read anything that Airmax, Ore-Ele or anyone else who has actually been involved in the actual administration have said to describe the role of the president.

Site development is part of the role of being president. Airmax helped a lot with it as well as delegate various aspects of site development to different people. While there are additional responsibilities like acting as a liason between Juggle and the DDO members, I don't agree with the portrayal of TUF as being someone "good for site development" but not president - a portrayal which you consistently repeated.

It seems like an unflattering portrayal and a way to put all of TUF's achievements under a single label ("site development") and push it as irrelevant.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:32:27 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:09:58 AM, TUF wrote:

So freaking mad, that I will continue buying things like that for members who contribute, upon not being elected ;-)

You're welcome, guys.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:32:50 AM
A president acts as a liaison between Juggle and the DDO community. That is a president's first responsibility -but you've only served on site improvement projects and not in the administration, so, I guess it would be unreasonable to expect you to know that. Well, unreasonable unless you've read anything that Airmax, Ore-Ele or anyone else who has actually been involved in the actual administration have said to describe the role of the president.

^edited. I misspelled "president" last night. oops!
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:37:13 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:32:06 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Site development is part of the role of being president.

Maybe, but not necessarily. Airmax did a lot of stuff that he didn't have to do, as well -which is one of the reasons he was a great president. So the president can do other things -but representing DDO to Juggle is the first and most important thing.

Airmax helped a lot with it as well as delegate various aspects of site development to different people. While there are additional responsibilities like acting as a liason between Juggle and the DDO members, I don't agree with the portrayal of TUF as being someone "good for site development" but not president - a portrayal which you consistently repeated.

It seems like an unflattering portrayal and a way to put all of TUF's achievements under a single label ("site development") and push it as irrelevant.

TUF has done a lot of good things for the site. My point is that even granting those things, they don't mean that he will be a good president. They only mean that he's good at doing things like running tournaments and spending money to make people vote on debates. But, I can respect where you stand on this. I certainly don't expect everyone to be in agreement with me, here, or anywhere for that matter.
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:41:07 AM

Site development is part of the role of being president. Airmax helped a lot with it as well as delegate various aspects of site development to different people. While there are additional responsibilities like acting as a liason between Juggle and the DDO members, I don't agree with the portrayal of TUF as being someone "good for site development" but not president - a portrayal which you consistently repeated.

Adding onto this, if ClassicRobert felt that he changed his mind regarding TUF, he should have let him know in private. When you accept an offer to be someone's VP, there ought to be a mutual respect there. Airing it out in public makes me severely question your judgment and makes it somewhat difficult to take it seriously. TUF's biggest mistake was choosing someone who at the drop of a hat turned his back on him and then aired all the dirty laundry which really ought to be private discussed. We don't need to know the details. All that was needed as a public statement is something to the effect of "we've had our differences and decided that we are unfit to run together" or something to that effect.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:47:58 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:41:07 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Adding onto this, if ClassicRobert felt that he changed his mind regarding TUF, he should have let him know in private. When you accept an offer to be someone's VP, there ought to be a mutual respect there. Airing it out in public makes me severely question your judgment and makes it somewhat difficult to take it seriously. TUF's biggest mistake was choosing someone who at the drop of a hat turned his back on him and then aired all the dirty laundry which really ought to be private discussed. We don't need to know the details. All that was needed as a public statement is something to the effect of "we've had our differences and decided that we are unfit to run together" or something to that effect.

I think that I would probably agree that ClassicRobet should have let TUF know in private if he truly believed that there wasn't an incredibly compelling reason to leave his campaign. I think if Bobbert felt like any possible good would have come from that, he would have done it -but let's not rush to portray Bobbert as someone who acts precipitously, because that was not the case. If Bobbert had have said only "we've had our differences and decided that we are unfit to run together" that would have been a lie -because that doesn't express the truth of the situation. The truth of the situation is that ClassicRobert could not support TUF because he did not believe him to be capable of being a good leader for the site. So, while they indeed couldn't run together, the reason why that was the case is just as important -and Bobbert thought DDO deserved the truth.
Tsar of DDO
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:50:07 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:32:27 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

You're welcome, guys.

you are aware he was being sarcastic
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:56:22 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:50:07 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

You're welcome, guys.

Uh, what?
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 10:57:21 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:56:22 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

You're welcome, guys.

Uh, what?

bolded was a sarcastic answer to your question
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:02:26 AM
At 12/11/2013 10:57:21 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

You're welcome, guys.

Uh, what?

Um, no it wasn't.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:05:17 AM
At 12/11/2013 11:02:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

You're welcome, guys.

Uh, what?

Um, no it wasn't.

yeah it was
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 11:50:33 AM
At 12/11/2013 11:05:17 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 12/11/2013 11:02:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

You're welcome, guys.

Uh, what?

Um, no it wasn't.

yeah it was

And now we've both failed.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 1:44:50 PM
At 12/11/2013 10:15:14 AM, Logical-Master wrote:
Tell me why I should vote for you in two sentences.

You should vote for me because I can guarantee you, that no one is as committed to making the site better than myself. I have overhauled more work than other candidates already, and have almost been on the site as long as you have, to know this site better than a lot of people do.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2013 2:00:19 PM
At 12/11/2013 1:47:04 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Excellent. One more question: Do you have a firm solution on dealing with people like this: http://www.debate.org...

or this . . . http://www.debate.org...

Wow...

The way I would handle those situations would be to send a report to airmax, the moderator. He is usually very quick to respond efficiently to these type of things.