Voting Raffle Winners!

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 12:41:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com...

The winners for the Competition have been announced! Great job to everyone involved, you truly impacted the site with your contributions and are more than deserving of your rewards. Same to those who didn't get the luck of the draw!

Yraelz, Mikal, TrueScotsman, Ore_Ele, TN05, ClassicRobert, and SeventhProfessor all get one shiny gold star of approval!

If you won a prize, please send me a message containing your shipping information so I can get the prizes out to you by christmas. Thankyou!

Raffle Winners: http://i.imgur.com...
Original Raffle Thread: http://www.debate.org...
A list of all Votes: https://docs.google.com...

Feedback time:

How did this prized voting push compare to the last one? Do you like the idea of a competition better, or leaving it in the hands of random gods of randomness? Do you think different prizes should be included, and if so what kind? Any additional tips, or feedback for the future?

I personally liked the raffle set up slightly better because the outcome isn't determined by someone's subjective judgement. In terms of fairness, at the same time, is also means the one's who put more work into it than others may not be as rewarded as appropriately as someone who put in maybe one vote. The fact that it is completely up to chance has it ups and downs. The main reason I like the raffle idea better than my last one, is that people are more willing to compete with chance, then someone who is laying out amazing vote after amazing vote, meaning they are more likely to participate knowing they have a chance. But the draw back to this, is that there were less quality votes being put in. I had a hard time admitting some of them, but I did because they met the criteria I originally input. So I think the problem here, is setting forth a stronger voting criteria. Nonetheless, I am still impressed by the turnout, and have learned things for future voting pushes.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 12:51:08 PM
The Election is SO CLOSE!

I got a feeling that the votes for your side and "bribery" is going to be brought up.

For a more relevant comment, see the below:

Cool! These contests certainly help DDO as a whole, and individuals as well. Glad to hear it's happening.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 12:58:23 PM
At 12/12/2013 12:51:08 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:

I got a feeling that the votes for your side and "bribery" is going to be brought up.

I am not worried. I started this almost 2 weeks before entering the election.

Cool! These contests certainly help DDO as a whole, and individuals as well. Glad to hear it's happening.

Thanks!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 1:04:53 PM
At 12/12/2013 12:51:08 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:

I wouldnt think so, everyone knows TUF wouldnt do something like that....

Like I probably would but not TUF....

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 1:07:29 PM
I completely forgot about this. Crap!

Congratulations to the winners. Hopefully this spurns some interest in voting around here.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 1:49:03 PM
I had initially intended to enter and read 30 debates at the last minute just so that I might defeat Yraelz! But it would seem Mikal has accomplished that feat.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 2:02:56 PM
I am entirely stoked and my fiance about busted my ears. She has been dying for a ps4 and we could not get it yet lol

thanks for hosting this man
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 2:04:16 PM
At 12/12/2013 1:49:03 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
I had initially intended to enter and read 30 debates at the last minute just so that I might defeat Yraelz! But it would seem Mikal has accomplished that feat.

Haha, probabilities, you fail me!!! I actually thought you would do something like this, I noticed you had voted on that superhero debate recently.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 2:34:45 PM
At 12/12/2013 2:02:56 PM, Mikal wrote:
I am entirely stoked and my fiance about busted my ears. She has been dying for a ps4 and we could not get it yet lol

thanks for hosting this man

NP, thanks for contributing to the site. You did awesome!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 2:36:38 PM
At 12/12/2013 2:04:16 PM, Yraelz wrote:
At 12/12/2013 1:49:03 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

Haha, probabilities, you fail me!!!

Yeah, I do feel bad about the probability aspect, but I would have felt even worse if I had to physically decide between the two of you. You were both awesome voters, and the probability factor alleviated the decision making aspect.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 3:53:23 PM
All prizes sent, except OreEle's who is currently at work. Please let me know when you've got your items.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 7:52:15 PM
At 12/12/2013 12:41:34 PM, TUF wrote:
Feedback time:

Since you ask...

You know that extrinsic motivation is bad for performance, right?

http://www.ted.com...

Here's a guy talking about it ^. If he annoys you, I can get you other references, because it's a long-established effect. Just saying.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 8:34:11 PM
At 12/12/2013 7:52:15 PM, rross wrote:
At 12/12/2013 12:41:34 PM, TUF wrote:
Feedback time:

Since you ask...

You know that extrinsic motivation is bad for performance, right?

http://www.ted.com...

Here's a guy talking about it ^. If he annoys you, I can get you other references, because it's a long-established effect. Just saying.

Interesting. The video itself was not working for my laptop, but I did some minor research on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

I can see where the perception comes, but when reading I find particular issue with the bolded part:

Extrinsic motivation refers to the performance of an activity in order to attain an outcome, whether or not that activity is also intrinsically motivated. Extrinsic motivation comes from outside of the individual. Common extrinsic motivations are rewards (for example money or grades) for showing the desired behavior, and the threat of punishment following misbehavior. Competition is in an extrinsic motivator because it encourages the performer to win and to beat others, not simply to enjoy the intrinsic rewards of the activity. A cheering crowd and the desire to win a trophy are also extrinsic incentives.

Such examples are not really the case here, though my knowledge on whether all parts of such an example make up the whole or not, is limited/none.

Also, I personally see a difference with my own motivations, and the ones listed there. It's more along seeing the act of something damaged, being a part of that damage, and understanding that damage on another level. When resources become available, you seek to aid that damage from an understanding of being there yourself.

The best way I can give an example of this, is a pay it forward type of ordeal. If you had ever been homeless, holding a sign on a street corner, you might feel a sympathy for another doing the same. That sympathy might drive you to give to the homeless man/woman out of a personal understanding of how bad the situation is.

While you may take it that barren voting on Debate.org is a whole different ball park, the principal of understanding is still there, which is my true motivation for doing these. Take is as you will, ultimately how others perceive things is entirely in the eye of the beholder, and again, I can see where that link might be drawn.