Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Hi DDO! A quick Update!

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 11:38:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hello, DDO!

We would like to take a quick moment to thank TUF and Cody for a great race thus far, and to thank those that gave us their support. Thank you.

We are formally adding an "Adopt-a-Noob" program to our platform in order to help new users acclimate to the debating culture here on DDO. We had proposed this measure earlier: http://www.debate.org... and, after due consideration, we are making this a core part of our platform.

We would like to conclude this message by asking you for your vote. We are dedicated to this site, and we promise to work as hard as we can towards the betterment of DDO. DDO matters to us, and we would be honored by your support.

Thank you!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 11:39:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 11:38:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Hello, DDO!

We would like to take a quick moment to thank TUF and Cody for a great race thus far, and to thank those that gave us their support. Thank you.

We are formally adding an "Adopt-a-Noob" program to our platform in order to help new users acclimate to the debating culture here on DDO. We had proposed this measure earlier: http://www.debate.org... and, after due consideration, we are making this a core part of our platform.

We would like to conclude this message by asking you for your vote. We are dedicated to this site, and we promise to work as hard as we can towards the betterment of DDO. DDO matters to us, and we would be honored by your support.

Thank you!

Adopt a noob... lol! Good luck in the race, bsh.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 11:40:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 11:39:23 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 12/12/2013 11:38:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Hello, DDO!

We would like to take a quick moment to thank TUF and Cody for a great race thus far, and to thank those that gave us their support. Thank you.

We are formally adding an "Adopt-a-Noob" program to our platform in order to help new users acclimate to the debating culture here on DDO. We had proposed this measure earlier: http://www.debate.org... and, after due consideration, we are making this a core part of our platform.

We would like to conclude this message by asking you for your vote. We are dedicated to this site, and we promise to work as hard as we can towards the betterment of DDO. DDO matters to us, and we would be honored by your support.

Thank you!

Adopt a noob... lol! Good luck in the race, bsh.

Thank you so much!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 11:44:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Don't know you, but perhaps I can learn more about you through this exchange. And what better way than a hard ball question.

This adopt-a-noob program sounds promising, but what's stopping someone (a notable member perhaps) from putting it together already without being president? To my understanding (and I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me), your opponent, TUF, put together a Raffle program long before he even got close to the position of president and that seems to be pretty successful.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 11:50:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 11:44:18 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Don't know you, but perhaps I can learn more about you through this exchange. And what better way than a hard ball question.

This adopt-a-noob program sounds promising, but what's stopping someone (a notable member perhaps) from putting it together already without being president? To my understanding (and I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me), your opponent, TUF, put together a Raffle program long before he even got close to the position of president and that seems to be pretty successful.

I think that having a president put together this program lends credence to it. New members will not know most other users, and so may be more likely to respond to an initiative backed/created by the administration than another user.

I hope this answers your question, and if you have any more or a follow-up I would be happy to answer. You should also check out our whole platform as well as my interview with Airmax, both located in this thread: http://www.debate.org...

Thank you!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TheHitchslap
Posts: 1,231
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2013 11:57:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 11:44:18 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Don't know you, but perhaps I can learn more about you through this exchange. And what better way than a hard ball question.

This adopt-a-noob program sounds promising, but what's stopping someone (a notable member perhaps) from putting it together already without being president? To my understanding (and I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me), your opponent, TUF, put together a Raffle program long before he even got close to the position of president and that seems to be pretty successful.

For the record:
the program TUF put forward I think your referencing was to get more people voting, and it was a bit of a bust.

I agree with you: you do not have to be president to be a leader, but I think Bsh1 has shown he can be better than that; he's a great representative, and I don't know about you but for me there is a difference between being a representative and being a leader. Leaders demand, give orders, and do things like give aways to suck out performance. Representatives do none of this, and this is the reason why I voted for Bsh1. What do you think? Do you agree?
Thank you for voting!
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:07:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think that having a president put together this program lends credence to it. New members will not know most other users, and so may be more likely to respond to an initiative backed/created by the administration than another user.

I hope this answers your question, and if you have any more or a follow-up I would be happy to answer.

Thank you for your answer.

To follow up on your answer, you're right that the position of president affords one greater credence, but with all due respect, my question pertains to why you can't go ahead with working on said program? I understand that being president lends credence to the idea, but can't the same be said for TUF's raffle program? Would you not agree that it'd be more successful than it already is were he president? Not to toot my own horn or anything, but before my hiatus on this site, I managed to rally people around the game of mafia without any administrative power/influence whatsoever. It appears that TUF has done the same with his Raffle program.

I suppose what I'm looking for is any indication of your capacity to get people on board with something. Being president can help out with this, but I think we can agree that this can be said for anyone.

More specifically, while we're on the subject, what is the incentive for users to engage in the adopt-a-noob program? Like many ideas I see implemented here on DDO, it sounds great in theory, but theory doesn't always line up with reality.

I won't say anything else, but if you could address this line of discussion, that'd be great.

You should also check out our whole platform as well as my interview with Airmax, both located in this thread: http://www.debate.org...

Thank you!

I've reviewed your platform and find myself in full agreement of your position on the opinion section. It's garbage and a waste of resources IMO. Glad to see you recognize the weaknesses of it. Still, even if you did get elected, I have a hard time believing you could persuade juggle to up and remove a major component of this website.
Logical-Master
Posts: 2,538
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:11:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/12/2013 11:57:26 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:
At 12/12/2013 11:44:18 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
Don't know you, but perhaps I can learn more about you through this exchange. And what better way than a hard ball question.

This adopt-a-noob program sounds promising, but what's stopping someone (a notable member perhaps) from putting it together already without being president? To my understanding (and I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me), your opponent, TUF, put together a Raffle program long before he even got close to the position of president and that seems to be pretty successful.

For the record:
the program TUF put forward I think your referencing was to get more people voting, and it was a bit of a bust.

I agree with you: you do not have to be president to be a leader, but I think Bsh1 has shown he can be better than that; he's a great representative, and I don't know about you but for me there is a difference between being a representative and being a leader. Leaders demand, give orders, and do things like give aways to suck out performance. Representatives do none of this, and this is the reason why I voted for Bsh1. What do you think? Do you agree?

I think it was to get more people voting in short periods of time (could be wrong though) the contests are held. From that standpoint it appeared to serve its purpose. Long term wise however, nah. People need incentive to do work. And voting takes work. Not gonna lie. I myself am not too keen on reading debates myself, haha.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:15:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:07:43 AM, Logical-Master wrote:
I think that having a president put together this program lends credence to it. New members will not know most other users, and so may be more likely to respond to an initiative backed/created by the administration than another user.

I hope this answers your question, and if you have any more or a follow-up I would be happy to answer.

Thank you for your answer.

To follow up on your answer, you're right that the position of president affords one greater credence, but with all due respect, my question pertains to why you can't go ahead with working on said program? I understand that being president lends credence to the idea, but can't the same be said for TUF's raffle program? Would you not agree that it'd be more successful than it already is were he president? Not to toot my own horn or anything, but before my hiatus on this site, I managed to rally people around the game of mafia without any administrative power/influence whatsoever. It appears that TUF has done the same with his Raffle program.

No, you don't need to be President to do this, but it would make it easier and increase its chances for success for the reasons I outlined. Also, this is only one of 8 points of our platform, and is part of a broader objective to help new members acclimate to DDO.

I suppose what I'm looking for is any indication of your capacity to get people on board with something. Being president can help out with this, but I think we can agree that this can be said for anyone.

More specifically, while we're on the subject, what is the incentive for users to engage in the adopt-a-noob program? Like many ideas I see implemented here on DDO, it sounds great in theory, but theory doesn't always line up with reality.

I think many members would do it just to help out. Also, consider that if noobs adjust more quickly and efficiently to the site, they will be able to engage in higher quality debates and the site will not be filled with as many poorly constructed debates. That should also motivate a few people.

I won't say anything else, but if you could address this line of discussion, that'd be great.

You should also check out our whole platform as well as my interview with Airmax, both located in this thread: http://www.debate.org...

Thank you!

I've reviewed your platform and find myself in full agreement of your position on the opinion section. It's garbage and a waste of resources IMO. Glad to see you recognize the weaknesses of it. Still, even if you did get elected, I have a hard time believing you could persuade juggle to up and remove a major component of this website.

I am glad that you agree with our platform. I recognize Juggle is unlikely to cooperate, but hopefully by offering them changes to the Polls section as an alternative, they may be more willing to negotiate.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Yraelz
Posts: 4,056
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:19:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
bsh1, I also have a question for you. The mafia adopt-a-newb program has existed for well over a year in the games forum (http://www.debate.org...). While scrolling through it I have noticed that your opponent, TUF, has adopted newbs and mentored them. What has prevented you from participating in that already existing program? What gives you the edge over someone who has already been mentoring newbs?
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:22:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:19:55 AM, Yraelz wrote:
bsh1, I also have a question for you. The mafia adopt-a-newb program has existed for well over a year in the games forum (http://www.debate.org...). While scrolling through it I have noticed that your opponent, TUF, has adopted newbs and mentored them. What has prevented you from participating in that already existing program? What gives you the edge over someone who has already been mentoring newbs?

Because I was a mafia noob--and my recent disaster with the PMs convinces me that I am still a noob. Plus, I have always seen Khaos as my mafia mentor, so I never felt the need to acquire a mentor of my own.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Yraelz
Posts: 4,056
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:27:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:22:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Because I was a mafia noob--and my recent disaster with the PMs convinces me that I am still a noob. Plus, I have always seen Khaos as my mafia mentor, so I never felt the need to acquire a mentor of my own.

I see the plausibility of what you say. However, if experience is the limiting factor, what has stopped you from implementing your DDO adopt-a-newb program until now?
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:29:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:27:06 AM, Yraelz wrote:
At 12/13/2013 12:22:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Because I was a mafia noob--and my recent disaster with the PMs convinces me that I am still a noob. Plus, I have always seen Khaos as my mafia mentor, so I never felt the need to acquire a mentor of my own.

I see the plausibility of what you say. However, if experience is the limiting factor, what has stopped you from implementing your DDO adopt-a-newb program until now?

I floated the idea around awhile ago when I was about 2 weeks old on the site. I just didn't have the connections at that time to make it work. As a presidential candidate, I have visibility to push for the idea and to try to get support for it that I just didn't have before.

I did do some informal mentoring--if new users had questions, I tried to make myself available to them. I just felt that now, in this context, was the best chance this idea had of succeeding.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Yraelz
Posts: 4,056
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:45:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:29:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I floated the idea around awhile ago when I was about 2 weeks old on the site. I just didn't have the connections at that time to make it work. As a presidential candidate, I have visibility to push for the idea and to try to get support for it that I just didn't have before.

I did do some informal mentoring--if new users had questions, I tried to make myself available to them. I just felt that now, in this context, was the best chance this idea had of succeeding.

Hmmm. So you're saying that you've made connections while running for the presidency? And you believe that those connections will allow you to do this?
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:46:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:45:23 AM, Yraelz wrote:
At 12/13/2013 12:29:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I floated the idea around awhile ago when I was about 2 weeks old on the site. I just didn't have the connections at that time to make it work. As a presidential candidate, I have visibility to push for the idea and to try to get support for it that I just didn't have before.

I did do some informal mentoring--if new users had questions, I tried to make myself available to them. I just felt that now, in this context, was the best chance this idea had of succeeding.

Hmmm. So you're saying that you've made connections while running for the presidency? And you believe that those connections will allow you to do this?

I am saying that in the months since then I have met many more people and now have enough contacts to plausibly launch something.

As for running for president, the visibility of the campaign also is useful in rounding up support for such an initiative.

Does this answer your question?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Yraelz
Posts: 4,056
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:50:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:46:48 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I am saying that in the months since then I have met many more people and now have enough contacts to plausibly launch something.

As for running for president, the visibility of the campaign also is useful in rounding up support for such an initiative.

Does this answer your question?

Mostly yes, but it leads me to one final question. If you have the contacts that you require, and the visibility from running for president, what will prevent you from doing this if you do not acquire the presidency? From everything you've said it seems like this is just as much an option whether you become president or not.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 12:52:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 12:50:56 AM, Yraelz wrote:
At 12/13/2013 12:46:48 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I am saying that in the months since then I have met many more people and now have enough contacts to plausibly launch something.

As for running for president, the visibility of the campaign also is useful in rounding up support for such an initiative.

Does this answer your question?

Mostly yes, but it leads me to one final question. If you have the contacts that you require, and the visibility from running for president, what will prevent you from doing this if you do not acquire the presidency? From everything you've said it seems like this is just as much an option whether you become president or not.

If I don't win the election, I have every intention of pursuing this (and many other parts of) my platform. But, as I told Logical Master, I think that the presidency would give me a better platform and more credence from which to implement this ideas.

Regardless, I will try and see these ideas come to fruition.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 5:18:30 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd be willing to adopt a few noobs :) I actually sort of adopted one already, and she's off to a great start!
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 6:42:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 5:18:30 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I'd be willing to adopt a few noobs :) I actually sort of adopted one already, and she's off to a great start!

I heard thett3 adopted one. (Too soon)?
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 7:31:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/13/2013 6:42:22 AM, Heineken wrote:
At 12/13/2013 5:18:30 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I'd be willing to adopt a few noobs :) I actually sort of adopted one already, and she's off to a great start!

I heard thett3 adopted one. (Too soon)?

lol, probably just a bit too soon on that one.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...