Jump to topic:

DDO Tournament Gambling Ring

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:16:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To compliment the tournaments coming up, I will be hosting DDO's very own gambling ring! Here's how it's going to work.

As debate match-ups are announced, odds will be determined.

DDO users will be able to place bets on who wins.

The currency for those bets, however, will be VOTES. There will be a minimum bet of three votes per debate. All votes that you have for currency must be posted in this thread, and all bets must be posted in this thread prior to the voting period of those debates. For obvious reasons, you cannot vote on a debate that you placed a bet on, and if you choose to bet on a debate that you are involved in, the bet must be in your own favor.

Additionally, there must be at least a ratio of one actual vote that you have made for every three votes that you have won. Though your total amount of currency will be noted, you can only place bets as far as your total amount of currency (at least) meets this ratio.

Note: "FF" votes do not count. It must be clear in the RFD that you put some thought into your vote.

Please keep track of your total currency in this thread. The odds for the experts tourney will be posted over the next few days. As this type of thing is completely new to DDO and I am prone to error, some of the rules might be updated over the next week or so. However, you can begin to make and log votes now!

Happy gambling!

-ClassicRobert
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:24:58 PM
First, I'm against this type of gambling, because it will can cause the gamblers to interfere with debaters and voters.

Second, I don't get how the currency works.
0x5f3759df
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:30:42 PM
This sounds like a great idea! Can you give a brief out line example of what this might look like so I can assure I am understanding the vote procedure correctly?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:31:11 PM
Just have people bet for bragging rights.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:33:48 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:24:58 PM, Bullish wrote:
First, I'm against this type of gambling, because it will can cause the gamblers to interfere with debaters and voters.

I am trying to control for that as much as I can. For example, you are not allowed to bet on debates that you have voted on, nor can you vote on debates that you have betted on. If you bet on a debate that you are in, the bet must be in your own favor (to avoid people throwing debates).

Currency is votes. Every vote you make for the next few weeks you can post in this thread. When you make a bet, the minimum amount of votes that you can put into the bet is three votes. The amount you win on the debate (or don't win, depending on the outcome) is determined by the odds. Additionally, regardless of how much you win, you still need to have at least one actual vote logged per every three votes that you just have in winnings.

So let's say you have 20 "votes" of currency. At least 5 of that currency must be actual votes that you have made. If you've only actually made 4 votes, then you only have up to 16 votes to bet with. This ratio might be adjusted in the next few days.

And obviously, the more votes you have actually made, the more you can bet.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:39:35 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:30:42 PM, TUF wrote:
This sounds like a great idea! Can you give a brief out line example of what this might look like so I can assure I am understanding the vote procedure correctly?

To just add votes, you can do as people have done in your threads.
1. Link
2. Link
3. Link

To place a bet, just say how many votes you are putting towards a debate, and who you are betting on.

To let me know how much you have (and I will be checking up on this every few days), you write something like

Actual votes: x Won votes: y (this is equal to total currency minus actual votes)

After every voting period is concluded, I'll announce people's winnings.

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:41:53 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:16:24 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
To compliment the tournaments coming up, I will be hosting DDO's very own gambling ring! Here's how it's going to work.

The currency for those bets, however, will be VOTES. There will be a minimum bet of three votes per debate. All votes that you have for currency must be posted in this thread, and all bets must be posted in this thread prior to the voting period of those debates. For obvious reasons, you cannot vote on a debate that you placed a bet on, and if you choose to bet on a debate that you are involved in, the bet must be in your own favor.

Additionally, there must be at least a ratio of one actual vote that you have made for every three votes that you have won. Though your total amount of currency will be noted, you can only place bets as far as your total amount of currency (at least) meets this ratio.

Note: "FF" votes do not count. It must be clear in the RFD that you put some thought into your vote.

Please keep track of your total currency in this thread. The odds for the experts tourney will be posted over the next few days. As this type of thing is completely new to DDO and I am prone to error, some of the rules might be updated over the next week or so. However, you can begin to make and log votes now!

Happy gambling!

-ClassicRobert

Sorry, but this is one of the lamest ideas I've seen.The gambling concept is fine, but the whole 'voter currency' business sounds very tedious and unrewarding. I understand that it's intended to increase voter participation, but this isn't the way to do it.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:44:04 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:41:53 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 12/15/2013 8:16:24 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Happy gambling!

-ClassicRobert

Sorry, but this is one of the lamest ideas I've seen.The gambling concept is fine, but the whole 'voter currency' business sounds very tedious and unrewarding. I understand that it's intended to increase voter participation, but this isn't the way to do it.

Feel free to not participate.

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:46:37 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:33:48 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I am trying to control for that as much as I can. For example, you are not allowed to bet on debates that you have voted on, nor can you vote on debates that you have betted on. If you bet on a debate that you are in, the bet must be in your own favor (to avoid people throwing debates).

I was more afraid of gamblers soliciting votes from their friends or asking one side to lose on purpose, but now that I think about it, this currency of yours probably isn't going to make people lose their minds as much as $$$ would. So eh.

Currency is votes. Every vote you make for the next few weeks you can post in this thread. When you make a bet, the minimum amount of votes that you can put into the bet is three votes. The amount you win on the debate (or don't win, depending on the outcome) is determined by the odds. Additionally, regardless of how much you win, you still need to have at least one actual vote logged per every three votes that you just have in winnings.

So let's say you have 20 "votes" of currency. At least 5 of that currency must be actual votes that you have made. If you've only actually made 4 votes, then you only have up to 16 votes to bet with. This ratio might be adjusted in the next few days.

I'm utterly lost. Is the "Votes" (calling it "^V" from now on) the votes the gambler makes, or you make, or what? If some one wins ^V, what exactly do they get? If someone loses ^V, then do people have to delete votes?
0x5f3759df
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:50:02 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:46:37 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 12/15/2013 8:33:48 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

I was more afraid of gamblers soliciting votes from their friends or asking one side to lose on purpose, but now that I think about it, this currency of yours probably isn't going to make people lose their minds as much as $$$ would. So eh.

I'm utterly lost. Is the "Votes" (calling it "^V" from now on) the votes the gambler makes, or you make, or what? If some one wins ^V, what exactly do they get? If someone loses ^V, then do people have to delete votes?

It's only within the context of this thread. Nobody would delete actual votes, but you could, of course, lose currency.

Perhaps it would be easier to understand if we said it like this: You have a total number of DDO dollars, and voting is one way to earn those DDO dollars.

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:59:23 PM
At 12/15/2013 8:50:02 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:

It's only within the context of this thread. Nobody would delete actual votes, but you could, of course, lose currency.

Perhaps it would be easier to understand if we said it like this: You have a total number of DDO dollars, and voting is one way to earn those DDO dollars.

I see.
0x5f3759df
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 9:43:31 PM
At 12/15/2013 9:41:38 PM, Sargon wrote:
Phantom VS Yraelz

1 vote bet that Phantom will win.

You must make three votes first and post the links to them in this thread first. The minimum bet is three votes.

Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 9:45:59 PM
At 12/15/2013 9:43:31 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Phantom VS Yraelz

1 vote bet that Phantom will win.

You must make three votes first and post the links to them in this thread first. The minimum bet is three votes.

Nah.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 7:28:59 AM
Phantom VS Yraelz

2 votes bet that Phantom will win.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~