Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDO Reform

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 3:42:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
There used to be a time on here when we all wanted radically alterations to this website. We made suggestions, asked for changes, and demanded that reform be made. Over time, though, the regulars quietly accepted the fact that none of our ideas would ever be implemented. With WebCorp's actually profitable projects to work on (currently, DDO makes WebCorp zero dollars), DDO would become the black sheep.

Let's bring back the spirit of reform. We want this site to be better, so let's demand it.

The first issue is, of course, money. Thus, I strongly suggest that (1) ads be reimplemented onto DDO, that (2) a fan store be set up where DDObaters can buy merchandise and t-shirts, that (3) a referral program be set up, and that (4) WebCorp relaunch it's DDO ad campaign.

Who's with me?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 3:51:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 3:42:29 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
There used to be a time on here when we all wanted radically alterations to this website. We made suggestions, asked for changes, and demanded that reform be made. Over time, though, the regulars quietly accepted the fact that none of our ideas would ever be implemented. With WebCorp's actually profitable projects to work on (currently, DDO makes WebCorp zero dollars), DDO would become the black sheep.

Let's bring back the spirit of reform. We want this site to be better, so let's demand it.

The first issue is, of course, money. Thus, I strongly suggest that (1) ads be reimplemented onto DDO, that (2) a fan store be set up where DDObaters can buy merchandise and t-shirts, that (3) a referral program be set up, and that (4) WebCorp relaunch it's DDO ad campaign.

Who's with me?

I am. There used to be ads on ddo didn't there?
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 3:58:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 3:42:29 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
There used to be a time on here when we all wanted radically alterations to this website. We made suggestions, asked for changes, and demanded that reform be made. Over time, though, the regulars quietly accepted the fact that none of our ideas would ever be implemented. With WebCorp's actually profitable projects to work on (currently, DDO makes WebCorp zero dollars), DDO would become the black sheep.

Let's bring back the spirit of reform. We want this site to be better, so let's demand it.

The first issue is, of course, money. Thus, I strongly suggest that (1) ads be reimplemented onto DDO, that (2) a fan store be set up where DDObaters can buy merchandise and t-shirts, that (3) a referral program be set up, and that (4) WebCorp relaunch it's DDO ad campaign.

Who's with me?

Well, I'll give my two cents.

Personally, I'm just satisfied to have this website up and running. An important aspect in life is accepting that there comes a point in which a line must be drawn on what is significant to someone. I will not complain or demand reform; at least this site functions.

Nothing can ever be perfect. You and other members can try anything you like. I'll help out as much as I can, but I will not support anything that can potentially run this site down. I need the site as a safe haven, similar to many on this site. Why would WebCorp put effort towards this site if profit is not being made? Your ideas towards potential profit with both a member effort and WebCorp effort may appear reasonable ideally, but may not work realistically. Go ahead and work for change, but do not be so demanding as to convince WebCorp to eliminate this site completely.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:02:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 3:58:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Well, I'll give my two cents.

Personally, I'm just satisfied to have this website up and running. An important aspect in life is accepting that there comes a point in which a line must be drawn on what is significant to someone. I will not complain or demand reform; at least this site functions.

Nothing can ever be perfect. You and other members can try anything you like. I'll help out as much as I can, but I will not support anything that can potentially run this site down. I need the site as a safe haven, similar to many on this site. Why would WebCorp put effort towards this site if profit is not being made? Your ideas towards potential profit with both a member effort and WebCorp effort may appear reasonable ideally, but may not work realistically. Go ahead and work for change, but do not be so demanding as to convince WebCorp to eliminate this site completely.

I think quite the opposite.

Without any money, WebCorp has no reason to continue the site. Without reform, without trying to do anything, without any purpose--that will be the reason for this site's elimination. DDO must become profitable for WebCorp. Otherwise, we may cease to exist.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:05:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have no complaints about this site.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:07:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 4:02:51 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 1/9/2010 3:58:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Well, I'll give my two cents.

Personally, I'm just satisfied to have this website up and running. An important aspect in life is accepting that there comes a point in which a line must be drawn on what is significant to someone. I will not complain or demand reform; at least this site functions.

Nothing can ever be perfect. You and other members can try anything you like. I'll help out as much as I can, but I will not support anything that can potentially run this site down. I need the site as a safe haven, similar to many on this site. Why would WebCorp put effort towards this site if profit is not being made? Your ideas towards potential profit with both a member effort and WebCorp effort may appear reasonable ideally, but may not work realistically. Go ahead and work for change, but do not be so demanding as to convince WebCorp to eliminate this site completely.

I think quite the opposite.

Without any money, WebCorp has no reason to continue the site. Without reform, without trying to do anything, without any purpose--that will be the reason for this site's elimination. DDO must become profitable for WebCorp. Otherwise, we may cease to exist.

I made a point of supporting your cause for potential profit routes. I don't want anything too revolutionary as to make WebCorp eliminate the site. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:07:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 4:02:51 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Without any money, WebCorp has no reason to continue the site. Without reform, without trying to do anything, without any purpose--that will be the reason for this site's elimination. DDO must become profitable for WebCorp. Otherwise, we may cease to exist.

Ok, when it ceases to exist, then I'll be complaining. I'm with you on finding ways to come up with supporting funds.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:11:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 4:07:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/9/2010 4:02:51 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Without any money, WebCorp has no reason to continue the site. Without reform, without trying to do anything, without any purpose--that will be the reason for this site's elimination. DDO must become profitable for WebCorp. Otherwise, we may cease to exist.

Ok, when it ceases to exist, then I'll be complaining. I'm with you on finding ways to come up with supporting funds.

Agreed.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:51:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
PoeJoe, I'm all for reform and etc., but you can't seriously want to set up a "DDO fan shop"? That would be very expensive, not only to run, but to even create the merchandise. And really - how much of a nerd must you be to want a DDO t-shirt?
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:52:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My only real problem is the lack of knowing who is vote-bombing me, but besides that, I'm satisfied. New features would be cool, but there's no real need.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:55:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't know how it used to be because I signed up two months ago. But It seems to be okay to me. There are things that could be better, and I would be okay with ads to improve quality, as long as they are not bad ads, or the pop-ups. I hate those.
As long as they don't start charging.
kfc
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 4:55:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 4:51:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
PoeJoe, I'm all for reform and etc., but you can't seriously want to set up a "DDO fan shop"? That would be very expensive, not only to run, but to even create the merchandise. And really - how much of a nerd must you be to want a DDO t-shirt?

Ha! Agreed.

My Hon Physics class (of 7) decided to have every peer bring in 20 bucks to buy a customized Hon Physics sweatshirt. We had to wear it out of class when we got it, and since then, I've been to embarrassed to wear it since. I see my classmates wearing it all the time. I look at them, amazed ;)
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:04:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 4:51:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
PoeJoe, I'm all for reform and etc., but you can't seriously want to set up a "DDO fan shop"? That would be very expensive, not only to run, but to even create the merchandise. And really - how much of a nerd must you be to want a DDO t-shirt?

Why not?

Previously (I forget where), Phil talked about possibly creating DDO t-shirts. It never went anywhere back then. But now, if it means supporting this sinking website, then yes. I would totally be for buying such a t-shirt.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:10:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:04:17 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Why not?

Previously (I forget where), Phil talked about possibly creating DDO t-shirts. It never went anywhere back then. But now, if it means supporting this sinking website, then yes. I would totally be for buying such a t-shirt.

Joe, you seem to be very concerned about this website, so why don't you just make donations to it? I mean, it'll satisfy your urge to do something, without creating DDO shirts.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:19:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:10:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:04:17 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Why not?

Previously (I forget where), Phil talked about possibly creating DDO t-shirts. It never went anywhere back then. But now, if it means supporting this sinking website, then yes. I would totally be for buying such a t-shirt.

Joe, you seem to be very concerned about this website, so why don't you just make donations to it? I mean, it'll satisfy your urge to do something, without creating DDO shirts.

Oh, that's another thing that had been suggested. Thanks for reminding me.

WebCorp should also set up a donation box for DDO.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:23:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:19:22 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Oh, that's another thing that had been suggested. Thanks for reminding me.

WebCorp should also set up a donation box for DDO.

I'd support that. However, make sure it is an anonymous donation box. We don't need drama going about with "why didn't you pitch in!?" as the main line.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:25:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:23:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:19:22 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Oh, that's another thing that had been suggested. Thanks for reminding me.

WebCorp should also set up a donation box for DDO.

I'd support that. However, make sure it is an anonymous donation box. We don't need drama going about with "why didn't you pitch in!?" as the main line.

As someone who won't donate, I disagree.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:26:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:23:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:19:22 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Oh, that's another thing that had been suggested. Thanks for reminding me.

WebCorp should also set up a donation box for DDO.

I'd support that. However, make sure it is an anonymous donation box. We don't need drama going about with "why didn't you pitch in!?" as the main line.

Another reason I put little to no value for emotions or materialism!!!!!
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:31:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:28:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:25:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
As someone who won't donate, I disagree.

On what grounds?

He will not feel guilty or less "worthy" than us for not donating.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:32:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:25:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:23:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:19:22 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Oh, that's another thing that had been suggested. Thanks for reminding me.

WebCorp should also set up a donation box for DDO.

I'd support that. However, make sure it is an anonymous donation box. We don't need drama going about with "why didn't you pitch in!?" as the main line.

As someone who won't donate, I disagree.

I would donate. Elitism doesn't seem to be a problem for WritingForums.org, another site I frequent and which has a nonanonymous donation system. Those that donate become "supporters" and get a badge on their profile.

For that matter, Nate (former moderator) once proposed a badge system. If you made 25 posts on 25 other forums advertising this site, he said he'd give all participants a badge. It never worked out, though, because people were afraid of getting banned for spamming.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:34:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:33:54 PM, mongeese wrote:
Maybe PoeJoe should just ask to become a mod, and make improvements to the site to be approved and implemented by Phil.

There's an idea! How about askbob too? xD
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:44:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:28:00 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:25:43 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
As someone who won't donate, I disagree.

On what grounds?

On the grounds that people who donate DO deserve recognition for this fact, and on the grounds that I can handle any "drama" coming from a conflict between those who do or do not pay for a free service.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 5:47:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:44:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
On the grounds that people who donate DO deserve recognition for this fact, and on the grounds that I can handle any "drama" coming from a conflict between those who do or do not pay for a free service.

And those who do not want the recognition nor the drama? Its all well and fine if you can handle it, or if you don't care, but you're only one person, and hardly representative of the entirety of DDO.

However, if PoeJoe has experience with it, and says there isn't an issue, then fine.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 6:40:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 5:47:10 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 5:44:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
On the grounds that people who donate DO deserve recognition for this fact, and on the grounds that I can handle any "drama" coming from a conflict between those who do or do not pay for a free service.

And those who do not want the recognition nor the drama?
Well, for those who don't want recognition:

Have an option for anonymous donor and an option for recognizing donor. This incidentally maximizes incoming donations.

As for the drama: This is DDO! Many drama! Handle it!
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 6:52:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 6:40:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Have an option for anonymous donor and an option for recognizing donor. This incidentally maximizes incoming donations.

I was thinking along the same lines, however I don't know if you can actually do that with something like PayPal. That should be followed up.

As for the drama: This is DDO! Many drama! Handle it!

Just because it can be handled, doesn't mean we should go about propagating it.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2010 6:59:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/9/2010 6:52:39 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/9/2010 6:40:22 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Have an option for anonymous donor and an option for recognizing donor. This incidentally maximizes incoming donations.

I was thinking along the same lines, however I don't know if you can actually do that with something like PayPal. That should be followed up.
It might not be anonymous to the company, but it would still be to the rest of us. And Phil would probably not look, hey, it's mana!


As for the drama: This is DDO! Many drama! Handle it!

Just because it can be handled, doesn't mean we should go about propagating it.
But it's part of the fun!
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.