Jump to topic:

Debate Help

TorqueDork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 2:25:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I would really appreciate if you guys could check out my debates listed below and tell me how I can improve, or give me some tips, thanks!
http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 5:33:02 PM
You could be more careful in forming the resolution and setting up the debate. In the debate on the "penny" what you are really talking about is the one cent coin. Pennies are British, and you are getting rid of the coin, not the measure of money.

Every challenge should reference some background information to make it clear what the debate is about. That might be a news article or Wikipedia entry that discusses the issues, without favoring one side or the other. That provides context to help eliminate gross misinterpretation of the resolution. Remember you are writing for the debate reader, and not just your opponent.

Structure both arguments and rebuttals with arguments grouped under three or four headings. Headings should always have a verb and should assert something.

When your opponent forfeits a round, continue arguing if you still have something to say.

In a DDO debate, I think copying and pasting an argument is only a conduct violation. The argument stands and must be refuted. It's not like school where originality is important. If Jefferson said something better than you, let Jefferson speak; no need to paraphrase. The conduct violation is for failure to attribute a quote. Some DDO members think copy-and-paste is a fatal error.

Work on writing style. Use short, direct sentences.

Overall, I think you are doing pretty good in those debates.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 5:45:51 PM
At 12/17/2013 5:33:02 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
You could be more careful in forming the resolution and setting up the debate. In the debate on the "penny" what you are really talking about is the one cent coin. Pennies are British, and you are getting rid of the coin, not the measure of money.

Every challenge should reference some background information to make it clear what the debate is about. That might be a news article or Wikipedia entry that discusses the issues, without favoring one side or the other. That provides context to help eliminate gross misinterpretation of the resolution. Remember you are writing for the debate reader, and not just your opponent.

Structure both arguments and rebuttals with arguments grouped under three or four headings. Headings should always have a verb and should assert something.

When your opponent forfeits a round, continue arguing if you still have something to say.

In a DDO debate, I think copying and pasting an argument is only a conduct violation. The argument stands and must be refuted. It's not like school where originality is important. If Jefferson said something better than you, let Jefferson speak; no need to paraphrase. The conduct violation is for failure to attribute a quote. Some DDO members think copy-and-paste is a fatal error.

Torqedork, listen to this guy. Best debater on DDO.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
BlindFollower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 5:57:00 PM
At 12/17/2013 2:25:52 PM, TorqueDork wrote:
I would really appreciate if you guys could check out my debates listed below and tell me how I can improve, or give me some tips, thanks!

an eye for an eye only makes two people lose one eye each tho :P
What do the Mafia and a p*ssy have in common? One slip of the tongue, and you're in deep sh*t.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 6:12:46 PM
For popular topics like a death penalty debate, search the site for past debates on the subject. That will give you ideas for arguments and links to data and other sources. It's amazing how few debaters do this.

If the site search doesn't seem to be finding what you seek, do a google search with "site:debate.org" in the search string.
TorqueDork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 6:40:27 PM
At 12/17/2013 6:12:46 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
For popular topics like a death penalty debate, search the site for past debates on the subject. That will give you ideas for arguments and links to data and other sources. It's amazing how few debaters do this.

If the site search doesn't seem to be finding what you seek, do a google search with "site:debate.org" in the search string.

I actually have been doing that! Wow, thanks for all the advice and I will try and implement it in my debates. MY only question is that when somebody so blatantly plagiarizes like my opponent did can I point it out?
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 6:49:27 PM
At 12/17/2013 6:40:27 PM, TorqueDork wrote:

I actually have been doing that! Wow, thanks for all the advice and I will try and implement it in my debates. MY only question is that when somebody so blatantly plagiarizes like my opponent did can I point it out?

Yep. You'll usually get the votes swung your way so long as you still attempt to at least respond to some of his stuff.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 8:56:31 PM

Yes, point it out. You want to get at least conduct point. Then continue to respond as if the arguments were not plagiarized. In the final round, mention the plagiarism again.
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 10:44:36 PM
At 12/17/2013 5:33:02 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

This makes sense to me with short unaccredited quotes but I have been willing to give the majority of points for blatant plagiarism such as a full round copied from sources without quotes. I had a new debater copy and paste his entire first round argument here: http://www.debate.org...

I also found another debater who constructed an entire round from plagiarized quotes. Would you give more points in an instance like that? Is this site convention or are there any guidelines for voting or suggested voting?

2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 10:48:59 PM

te.org" in the search string.

Oh my mistake, your opponent did copy an entire round. I would have been willing to give more points but I'm curious how the site handles arguments like this when the debate continues after a full copied round like that.