Jump to topic:

Forum Activity

Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 9:01:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is there some particular reason that there is no way to know which threads/debates have new posts or comment activity since the last time you logged on to the site?

It appears to let me know if someone quoted my post in a reply, but other than that, nothing. I use a junk email account for this site, and I'm not about to start flipping back and forth looking for emails.

I'm finding myself trying to memorize which threads I've read, and trying to check up on them again. But it seems to me that if I've clicked the "favourites" thing, there might actually be some kind of notification?

Can we get with the 90s here?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 12:11:04 PM
At 12/23/2013 9:01:15 AM, Seek wrote:
Is there some particular reason that there is no way to know which threads/debates have new posts or comment activity since the last time you logged on to the site?

It appears to let me know if someone quoted my post in a reply, but other than that, nothing. I use a junk email account for this site, and I'm not about to start flipping back and forth looking for emails.

I'm finding myself trying to memorize which threads I've read, and trying to check up on them again. But it seems to me that if I've clicked the "favourites" thing, there might actually be some kind of notification?

Actually there is a way. There forum light blub should be yellow if there has been a post on the forum since you've last been logged in.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 12:13:48 PM
At 12/23/2013 12:11:04 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Actually there is a way. There forum light blub should be yellow if there has been a post on the forum since you've last been logged in.

That goes for any thread, not just the threads that I have posted in, which still leaves me having to memorize which threads I have posted in.

I'd like to be notified of new activity in any thread in which I am active, not just whether someone responded directly to me via the "quote" function.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 12:16:12 PM
At 12/23/2013 12:13:48 PM, Seek wrote:

That goes for any thread, not just the threads that I have posted in, which still leaves me having to memorize which threads I have posted in.

I'd like to be notified of new activity in any thread in which I am active, not just whether someone responded directly to me via the "quote" function.

Use the favorite button and you'll recieve notifications on your dash board whenever someone posts there.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 12:19:09 PM
At 12/23/2013 12:16:12 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Use the favorite button and you'll recieve notifications on your dash board whenever someone posts there.

And that's right back to the original post, with the flipping back and forth thing. Also, the "notification" thing is ridiculously tiny, and lists every single post individually, instead of listing all THREADS with new activity, so you can spend all day trying to make sure you get to each thread.

This site is not very user-friendly. That's all I'm saying.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 12:20:15 PM
At 12/23/2013 12:19:09 PM, Seek wrote:

And that's right back to the original post, with the flipping back and forth thing. Also, the "notification" thing is ridiculously tiny, and lists every single post individually, instead of listing all THREADS with new activity, so you can spend all day trying to make sure you get to each thread.

No it's just not very lazy-friendly.

Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 12:22:38 PM
At 12/23/2013 12:20:15 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Right. It's lazy to expect a social discussion site to allow people to easily find which discussions they might want to read.

It's also lazy to not want to strain your eyes and your fingertips trying to make that stupid notification dashboard thing work on a four inch touch screen.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 12:24:52 PM
At 12/23/2013 12:22:38 PM, Seek wrote:
At 12/23/2013 12:20:15 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Right. It's lazy to expect a social discussion site to allow people to easily find which discussions they might want to read.

It's also lazy to not want to strain your eyes and your fingertips trying to make that stupid notification dashboard thing work on a four inch touch screen.

It's like a book you can't skip around and you have to read from cover to cover.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 1:29:27 PM
Go to your Account Dashboard from the drop down on your header icon. The section on Notifications gives the notices replies to forum posts. The section on Favorite Forums gives overall activity for your favorite forums.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 4:45:04 PM
At 12/23/2013 2:44:42 PM, Bullish wrote:
Use an RSS feed.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 5:10:05 PM
Wow. I started this thread and it doesn't give a pop-up notification that there were new replies.

Really, really stupid.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 5:11:44 PM
At 12/23/2013 5:10:05 PM, Seek wrote:
Wow. I started this thread and it doesn't give a pop-up notification that there were new replies.

Really, really stupid.

Can't you enable it?
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 5:17:28 PM
At 12/23/2013 5:11:44 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 12/23/2013 5:10:05 PM, Seek wrote:

Really, really stupid.

Can't you enable it?

No. That's only for direct replies to a post.
0x5f3759df
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2013 5:20:21 PM
Ok then than needs to be fixed
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2013 12:16:44 AM

I've heard that psychics can help with this.
Tsar of DDO