Jump to topic:

Good idea or bad idea?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 10:58:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are some subjects I don't feel up to the challenge of successfully debating (I'm a novice), but I think some of you could easily get the job done. I wish there was an option to set up debates and not be a participant. Thoughts?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 10:59:22 AM
At 1/1/2014 10:58:32 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
There are some subjects I don't feel up to the challenge of successfully debating (I'm a novice), but I think some of you could easily get the job done. I wish there was an option to set up debates and not be a participant. Thoughts?

Just say what debate you would like to see and see if someone takes it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 11:09:54 AM
That brings up another issue. Why are there so many forfeits? Almost every debate I have seen on evolution or the existence of God someone forfeits. I would love to see one of the completed in the future.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

KingDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 11:34:34 AM
You must be talking about my corn flakes debates. Just do it.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:12:15 PM
At 1/1/2014 11:34:34 AM, KingDebater wrote:

I noticed you set it up twice..expecting a large turn out? :P

KingDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:13:31 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:12:15 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 1/1/2014 11:34:34 AM, KingDebater wrote:

I noticed you set it up twice..expecting a large turn out? :P
Sure am!
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:18:59 PM

I think that's a great idea! I suggested that to airmax a while back.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
OtakuJordan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 1:37:39 PM
At 1/1/2014 11:09:54 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
That brings up another issue. Why are there so many forfeits? Almost every debate I have seen on evolution or the existence of God someone forfeits. I would love to see one of the completed in the future.

Here are two that I was involved in:

As for why there are so many forfeits, a lot of members sign up and then lose interest in the site, never to return.
"Most of the coldness in the world is actually just people teaching lessons about the coldness in the world. And it does not remove blame from the people cranking the AC." -Ore_Ele

"You see, Adam never spoke about theology. He just had sex with Eve and died." -1970vu
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 2:45:40 PM
As for why there are so many forfeits, a lot of members sign up and then lose interest in the site, never to return.

Boo to them! I start reading many of these debates only to find it is incomplete because one of both participants forfeited one or more rounds. Blah.

OtakuJordan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 2:50:14 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:18:59 PM, philochristos wrote:

I think that's a great idea! I suggested that to airmax a while back.

My suggestion is that if this is implemented the debates should be open for a shorter time than the normal challenge period.
"Most of the coldness in the world is actually just people teaching lessons about the coldness in the world. And it does not remove blame from the people cranking the AC." -Ore_Ele

"You see, Adam never spoke about theology. He just had sex with Eve and died." -1970vu
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 2:52:39 PM

I'd debate you. I'm new here. Usually, I don't feel up to the challenge and my opponent ends up forfeiting or I beat them because of the length of my arguments.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 3:02:30 PM
I'd debate you. I'm new here. Usually, I don't feel up to the challenge and my opponent ends up forfeiting or I beat them because of the length of my arguments.

Haha, I see you have an ELO of 3300 and 44 debates in a ..month!? Is that right? I think I should definitely decline! I wouldn't want to represent either side of this epic debate in such an inexperienced manner. :)

dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 3:07:25 PM
At 1/1/2014 3:02:30 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Haha, I see you have an ELO of 3300 and 44 debates in a ..month!? Is that right? I think I should definitely decline! I wouldn't want to represent either side of this epic debate in such an inexperienced manner. :)

Most of my wins are against n00bs anyway. I need a quality win, and I think you do too (to pull you out of novice.) If you want to go, I'm up for the challenge!
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 3:09:42 PM
Most of my wins are against n00bs anyway. I need a quality win, and I think you do too (to pull you out of novice.) If you want to go, I'm up for the challenge!

Give me a few months, and then I may be ready for an opponent such as yourself. We can revisit it then. :)

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 5:27:05 PM
Also, if you have topics you'd like to see debated among other members generally, feel free to send them my way and I'll add them to the EDEB8.com secret topics pool, so they'll get debated there sooner or later.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 7:28:56 PM
At 1/1/2014 5:27:05 PM, larztheloser wrote:
Also, if you have topics you'd like to see debated among other members generally, feel free to send them my way and I'll add them to the EDEB8.com secret topics pool, so they'll get debated there sooner or later.

I might just join that site... it sounds pretty cool
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 9:39:59 PM

Hey I just voted on your debate! (I went for the other guy, cuz your argument wasn't valid.)

This is an ok idea... OR you could team up with someone for a couple of debates. I've been trying to do a team debate for a while, but it never seems to happen. If you're up for it, I can help you with your next one. With proofing, argument and things like that.

I think it'd be fun!
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 9:55:47 PM
This is an ok idea... OR you could team up with someone for a couple of debates. I've been trying to do a team debate for a while, but it never seems to happen. If you're up for it, I can help you with your next one. With proofing, argument and things like that.

I think it'd be fun!

Team debates appeal to me as well. I could gain some insight from more experienced members. I have never been in a debate format (other than here), so any help would be appreciated.

Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 10:25:09 PM
At 1/1/2014 9:55:47 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I think it'd be fun!

Team debates appeal to me as well. I could gain some insight from more experienced members. I have never been in a debate format (other than here), so any help would be appreciated.

Awesome! I'll help walk you through some of the formalities one on one, and we'll see if that's helpful or not. I hope I am, lol... Send me a message in your next debate and we can get started.

Full disclosure tho: I'm only a so-so debater. I nearly flunked out of debate in high school... Here I'd rank myself about a 4 on a scale of 1-10. A lot of the people here are REALLY good. I try to learn as much as I can from everybody.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 2:07:57 PM
I think the problem is getting a resolution that attracts both sides. A good debater posting a challenge sets up the challenge with the debate title, definition of key terms, some background information, and some rules for the debate. If a third party posts the debate topic, Pro would seem to lose the ability to put all of that stuff into the challenge. I guess that the site could make it so Pro has to accept first, fill out the challenge info, then repost to try to get someone to accept as Con. Con really needs to see the definitions, etc, before accepting because otherwise the debate can bog down in semantics.

I think a better alternative is to create a forum thread on "subjects I'd like to see debated." There was a thread like that not too long ago. Maybe you could organize a tournament where you posted the list of topics and required that they be used for debates in the tournament.

The "first round for acceptance only" rule has become common on the site. That saves Pro the trouble of building a case and posting it, only to find out that no one will accept because the case looks too strong. I think the practice helps prevent forfets because Con has a better idea of what he is getting into.

I've had some luck with putting conditions for acceptance into the challenge. For example, you can say, "Do not accept this challenge unless you have an Elo score of at least 2200, have completed at least five debates, and have not forfeited in any of your last five debates." ... or whatever you think will scare off non-serious debaters. It's worth a try.