Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Is it okay to vote for yourself?

nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 3:58:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My first debate on this site just entered the voting period (http://www.debate.org...) and I was just wondering if there's a precedent either way on voting for yourself. I haven't voted on it yet, I never intended to, and I probably never will no matter what, but it just occurred to me that maybe people do. It would be so much better if they would just fix the votes tab because then everyone could see when someone votes for themselves.

Anyone feel like confessing to having voted for themselves???

Or has this issue been addressed before and is there a general consensus that we shouldn't vote for ourselves (even though it would be on the honor system as of now)?
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:06:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 3:58:11 PM, nickthengineer wrote:
My first debate on this site just entered the voting period (http://www.debate.org...) and I was just wondering if there's a precedent either way on voting for yourself. I haven't voted on it yet, I never intended to, and I probably never will no matter what, but it just occurred to me that maybe people do. It would be so much better if they would just fix the votes tab because then everyone could see when someone votes for themselves.

Anyone feel like confessing to having voted for themselves???

Or has this issue been addressed before and is there a general consensus that we shouldn't vote for ourselves (even though it would be on the honor system as of now)?

I usually vote for myself unless my opponent chooses not to vote for himself.
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:07:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 4:06:19 PM, mongeese wrote:

I usually vote for myself unless my opponent chooses not to vote for himself.

Yeah but how do you know? Unless of course they tell you that they did.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
MikeLoviN
Posts: 746
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:09:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I seem to recall this coming up in a thread a while ago but I would be unfamiliar with any consensus on the issue if one had been reached.

Either way, I'd advise against it for the purpose of integrity but it's very possible that people do vote for themselves, and like you said, we have no way of being able to tell at the moment.
MikeLoviN
Posts: 746
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:10:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 4:06:19 PM, mongeese wrote:
I usually vote for myself unless my opponent chooses not to vote for himself.

LOL. Does it make you feel better to know that you agree with yourself??
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:33:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Wait half a mo...you mean they didn't put a block in to prevent people from voting that are doing the actual debate?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:35:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 4:33:21 PM, OreEle wrote:
Wait half a mo...you mean they didn't put a block in to prevent people from voting that are doing the actual debate?

No, I don't see why they would.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:37:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If both people can vote for themselves, then there's nothing unfair about it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:48:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 4:37:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If both people can vote for themselves, then there's nothing unfair about it.

Yeah but I bet there are a few decent people like myself who feel there is something wrong about voting for yourself so won't do it, but hoards of those who give themselves a 7 point sweep no matter what (like even if they forfeited a round). It's only fair if everyone knows that both debaters just give themselves a 7 point vote every time or just not vote at all.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 4:55:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Sure, I'll admit I do vote for myself, but I do it honestly. If my opponent obviously did a better job in certain aspects of the debate I will give them the point.
Johnicle
Posts: 888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 5:04:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
i believe ive gone on record before but i have always voted for myself. i dont mind if my opponent does as long as they dont get their friends to vote for him/her i dont mind.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 5:27:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 4:48:45 PM, nickthengineer wrote:
At 1/12/2010 4:37:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If both people can vote for themselves, then there's nothing unfair about it.

Yeah but I bet there are a few decent people like myself who feel there is something wrong about voting for yourself so won't do it, but hoards of those who give themselves a 7 point sweep no matter what (like even if they forfeited a round). It's only fair if everyone knows that both debaters just give themselves a 7 point vote every time or just not vote at all.

Yeah, that's true. That happened to me. Some idiot gave themselves a full 7 points, and they didn't bother to write a single argument and forfeited every round.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Discipulus
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 5:31:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It is perfectly fine to vote on your own debate, provided that your vote more or less fairly represents the debate (that is, you don't give yourself the spelling and grammar point if your opponent did better than you in that area) and you leave an RFD.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 7:26:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
That's the thing, where is the check and balance? People have the ability to vote for themselves the full 7 points just so they can get a notch in the "win" column. Not everyone has such high integrity to vote honestly, even if against themselves. I would love it if the world was like that, but it isn't.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 9:20:45 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 5:31:47 PM, Discipulus wrote:
It is perfectly fine to vote on your own debate, provided that your vote more or less fairly represents the debate (that is, you don't give yourself the spelling and grammar point if your opponent did better than you in that area) and you leave an RFD.

The problem is that in 99% of debates, neither debater changes their opinion at the end of the debate. Regardless of the strengths of the arguments and the reliability of the sources used, it is very very hard to fairly vote on any area other than grammar and spelling if you were in the debate. So as long as the votes tab isn't working and we're on the honor system, I would be in favor of everybody just giving themselves 7 points just to be safe, unless you agree with your opponent that you both won't vote (and trust them).
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 10:43:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/12/2010 4:07:46 PM, nickthengineer wrote:
At 1/12/2010 4:06:19 PM, mongeese wrote:

I usually vote for myself unless my opponent chooses not to vote for himself.


Yeah but how do you know? Unless of course they tell you that they did.

You will know if your opponent is not either an American or a Canadian because they are the only people able to vote.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:32:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/13/2010 10:13:19 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
Give yourself all 7 points. And I'll give myself all 7 points.

I guess I can live with that. It basically turns out the same as not having a vote.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:35:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/13/2010 10:43:03 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 1/12/2010 4:07:46 PM, nickthengineer wrote:
At 1/12/2010 4:06:19 PM, mongeese wrote:

I usually vote for myself unless my opponent chooses not to vote for himself.


Yeah but how do you know? Unless of course they tell you that they did.

You will know if your opponent is not either an American or a Canadian because they are the only people able to vote.

But all you can see right now is how many people voted and what the score is right? There's no way of knowing whether or not your opponent actually voted, although you can know that they have the ability to if their profile says they are from America or Canadia.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 1:37:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I vote for the best in each category.
I never vote myself in the grammar dept and have even given a full 7 to my opponent.

Sometimes i vote for myself and if i think it was pretty even than i do not vote.