Jump to topic:

Vote Review

Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 12:29:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am putting this thread up so that debaters can ask everyone to review questionable votes, so that we can all have a look at them. If the votes need improvement, we can ask that they be reviewed.

If we need to argue about the votes, it might be best if we did that on the debate itself, so that this thread doesn't get cluttered up. In other words, please just post the Debate link, the vote in question, and what might be wrong with it here.

(This thread idea comes from an ongoing series of threads about how we might be able to improve the voting. You can PM me if you want to see those.)
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 12:35:24 PM
Ok, please look at this vote, in case I messed it up.

http://www.debate.org...

The debate was over whether or not the bible requires that believers accept the creation story as taking place over Seven 24-hour days.

The vote was by me - Beverly, and my RFD stated that Pro used an invalid argument to make his case. I think it is invalid because he asks for a high level of biblical literalism for the 24-hour timeframe, but did not require the same degree of literalism in other passages that disagree with the 24 hour descriptions.

Please bump me, and let me know if my vote needs to be reconsidered. Thanks!
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 2:30:53 PM
This could easily become a high drama thread... However if it sticks mostly to people requesting reviews of their own votes, it should be safe.

For ease of tracking, I suggest each vote be given a number tag (VR#); that way when arguments start, there is minimal confusion. Followed by a thumbs up/down statement (so there's no confusion where you stand on it). Only then going into the actual review.

VR1
Keep.
Beverlee's vote was well thought out and reasoned.
The only point of complaint I can see, is that it ended abruptly as if cut off by the character limit, "On the other hand, Con does po" which leaves open some terrible pun potential.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 3:43:59 PM
At 1/4/2014 2:30:53 PM, Ragnar wrote:
This could easily become a high drama thread... However if it sticks mostly to people requesting reviews of their own votes, it should be safe.

For ease of tracking, I suggest each vote be given a number tag (VR#); that way when arguments start, there is minimal confusion. Followed by a thumbs up/down statement (so there's no confusion where you stand on it). Only then going into the actual review.

VR1
Keep.
Beverlee's vote was well thought out and reasoned.
The only point of complaint I can see, is that it ended abruptly as if cut off by the character limit, "On the other hand, Con does po" which leaves open some terrible pun potential.

Lol... Dude I didn't even see that! Yeah, I better go back and fix it... I just need to figure out what I was going to say.

Yeah and I should also mention that this is an experiment just to see if it can help improve the voting somehow. Maybe some uncontrolled for X factor will pop up and give somebody an idea of something else that might work, too.

But it's, "if you can help and if you want to, please double check my vote here." And it's a good idea to catalog the requests for review, too.

So my vote in VR1 has passed at least some review. Great! Let's see if this is a useful idea over the next few weeks. There seems to be a lot of attention being paid to voting, voting conduct and other issues right now, so it might be a good time. I don't know.