Jump to topic:

Name one:

DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:14:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Name one good reason gay marriage should not be legalized. Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to find any winning argument for that.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:19:37 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:14:31 PM, DudeStop wrote:
Name one good reason gay marriage should not be legalized. Maybe it's just me but I can't seem to find any winning argument for that.

Man, this topic is like the highlight of this are so far that I've been seeing these days..

Immoral, unnatural and sinful. That's my reasons. Probably won't be suffice for you though.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:21:26 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:19:37 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Man, this topic is like the highlight of this are so far that I've been seeing these days..

Immoral, unnatural and sinful. That's my reasons. Probably won't be suffice for you though.

Could you elaborate on the immoral part?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:25:49 PM
Soceity --------> that way
Politics <---------- that way
Religion -----------> that way
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:26:51 PM
Wouldn't really be marriage:

Marriage: the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

However, I'm for gay marriage
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:28:29 PM

Assuming your objections were valid, why should that matter in terms of a voluntary social contract?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
yay842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:30:09 PM
Is Christian values a reason to not support gay marriage?
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:34:11 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:30:09 PM, yay842 wrote:

Separation of church and State...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:34:49 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:21:26 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Basically not sticking with the moral conduct to human life ... How life should be as of man to woman and woman to man... Not man to man and woman to woman.. That's just not normal and right.. It goes against human kind .. Disgraceful to the human race if you will.. Not trying to spark up anything or offend anyone just answering your question..
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:35:32 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:26:51 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Marriage: the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

Well the debate is to allow gay people to be married... If the definition was just two people getting married this wouldn't be a debate.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:36:35 PM

Ummm, I don't understand your case? How can you give a reason to imply it's not right in your opinion and then turn around and suggest that your for it? 0_o seems rather contradicting to me? Or am I misunderstanding ya? Just wondering :)
"Good Times" ~ Max
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:37:13 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:34:49 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 1/4/2014 8:21:26 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Basically not sticking with the moral conduct to human life ... How life should be as of man to woman and woman to man... Not man to man and woman to woman.. That's just not normal and right.. It goes against human kind .. Disgraceful to the human race if you will.. Not trying to spark up anything or offend anyone just answering your question..

It's immoral because it's unnatural?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:37:13 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:35:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Well the debate is to allow gay people to be married... If the definition was just two people getting married this wouldn't be a debate.

There's a difference between "legalizing" and "changing a definition."
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:37:18 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:28:29 PM, Subutai wrote:

Assuming your objections were valid, why should that matter in terms of a voluntary social contract?

I'm sorry, could you rephrase your question?
"Good Times" ~ Max
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:37:33 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:36:35 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Ummm, I don't understand your case? How can you give a reason to imply it's not right in your opinion and then turn around and suggest that your for it? 0_o seems rather contradicting to me? Or am I misunderstanding ya? Just wondering :)

I really look both ways on anything. Replay arguments in my head for either side. This one just popped to the top of my mind. I can give you many reasons why I am for it.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:38:10 PM

Since no one is listening to my suggestion that this doesn't belong here. How about that government should not be involved in marriage at all.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:39:00 PM

Why wouldn't it be?
"Good Times" ~ Max
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:40:14 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:37:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

...Know it all :P
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:40:49 PM

Why wouldn't it be?...
"Good Times" ~ Max
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:41:39 PM

Oh my bad. But I think that if gay marriage was to be legalized everywhere they would have to change the definition. Let's say men only played sports for example. The definition of a sport would include the fact that only men play sports. Then let's say at least one woman is on every sports team. They would have to change the definition...

The definition for marriage being: "A formal union between a man and a woman" if a man and man could get married, then automatically that is the incorrect definition. We need to change up both.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:42:13 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:37:18 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 1/4/2014 8:28:29 PM, Subutai wrote:

I'm sorry, could you rephrase your question?

Let's say your three reasons were true. Why should the government be concerned with morality in social contracts?
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:42:43 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:40:14 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

I just hate it when people use the term "legalize" incorrectly like that. It isn't illegal for them to get married. If they try, they are not gonna be arrested or fined, merely rejected.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:43:34 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:42:43 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I just hate it when people use the term "legalize" incorrectly like that. It isn't illegal for them to get married. If they try, they are not gonna be arrested or fined, merely rejected.

As I said, I'm pro gay marriage. I can't really think of many arguments for the side of the opposition.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:45:54 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:41:39 PM, DudeStop wrote:

Oh my bad. But I think that if gay marriage was to be legalized everywhere they would have to change the definition. Let's say men only played sports for example. The definition of a sport would include the fact that only men play sports. Then let's say at least one woman is on every sports team. They would have to change the definition...

The definition for marriage being: "A formal union between a man and a woman" if a man and man could get married, then automatically that is the incorrect definition. We need to change up both.

That's actually a great example but for a different reason. If the NFL merely referenced all players as "men" but didn't actually state a rule that says "woman can't play" it wouldn't be accurate to say that it is illegal and should be legalized.

I mean, we know what you're arguing, it is just a semantics thing that bugs me, like "pro-choice" and "pro-life," just word play to make sides seem warmer and fuzzier.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:47:08 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:43:34 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

As I said, I'm pro gay marriage. I can't really think of many arguments for the side of the opposition.

Government shouldn't be involved at all, no more so than it should be involved in bar mitzvahs.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:49:01 PM

Anyways, here's the refutations:

1. Separation of church and state. You cannot make rules that other people are forced to follow due to your religion.

2. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

Naturalness itself really doesn't make anything good or bad...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:49:58 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:47:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Government shouldn't be involved at all, no more so than it should be involved in bar mitzvahs.

Just because I'm Jewish doesn't mean I had a bar mitzvah.
STALIN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:51:07 PM

You have a point. Most people just say "gay marriage should not be legalized because it goes against my religious beliefs." This is very unfair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:52:07 PM
At 1/4/2014 8:49:58 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:
At 1/4/2014 8:47:08 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Just because I'm Jewish doesn't mean I had a bar mitzvah.

And just because you don't have one does not mean you are not a man in the eyes of society. Even if your religion doesn't view you as a man, or even if they do, that does not make you one (by society's standards). They should be completely separated. And so should marriage.
OtakuJordan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 8:52:33 PM
Why exactly is this in the DDO forum?
"Most of the coldness in the world is actually just people teaching lessons about the coldness in the world. And it does not remove blame from the people cranking the AC." -Ore_Ele

"You see, Adam never spoke about theology. He just had sex with Eve and died." -1970vu