What about DDO matters most to you?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 12:28:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Members,

What about DDO matters most to you? Why are you here? What keeps you coming back? What would you like to see? Is there anything you would like to say about the community but haven't because you haven't been asked?

I'd just like to know where people stand on this site's direction. Does DDO have a direction? Are there core values that we all more or less buy into? What do you think?

Please, be as open ended as you like. At least I will read everything that you write.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 12:32:51 AM
I want to, from this thread, get a sense of who we think we are, what we believe we stand for and why. I know these are hard questions, but I think they need to be asked. Is this place something that's good for us? Do the costs justify the benefits?

I'm also interested in hearing from people who were once more prominent members, but who have now become less active. Over the past month, several longstanding members have gone almost wholly inactive and others post less and less. Maybe that's a natural cycle of membership, or maybe it's because there's something missing here... something we've lost that we need to get back to. What was that, for you?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 12:46:11 AM
At 1/6/2014 12:42:45 AM, Sargon wrote:
Debates and people.

But why? Why debate? Why do you care about the people here?
Tsar of DDO
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 1:02:42 AM
At 1/6/2014 12:46:11 AM, YYW wrote:
Debates and people.

Debate because it's a medium for expressing myself intellectually in front of people that I never get in any other context. I care about these particular people because I've become used to them over time. I didn't care about them when I first got here, but they've became a regular part of my life now.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 2:03:01 AM
Most important to me would be how people peoples view's/arguments/reasoning can be but under more scrutiny.

Unlike other communications mediums where some one can just drop a bomb and run off. This mostly applies to the forum sections and debate (maybe not the opinion section).
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 11:40:02 AM
At 1/6/2014 12:28:56 AM, YYW wrote:
Members,

What about DDO matters most to you? Why are you here? What keeps you coming back? What would you like to see? Is there anything you would like to say about the community but haven't because you haven't been asked?

I'd just like to know where people stand on this site's direction. Does DDO have a direction? Are there core values that we all more or less buy into? What do you think?

Please, be as open ended as you like. At least I will read everything that you write.

I personally like the philosophy forum because it usually has interesting topics, and so I think it matters to me the most. But I still enjoy reading debates in the voting period, especially on American politics which I'm not that familiar with.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 12:06:40 PM
The debates here are more sophisticated than any other kind of run-of-the-mill argument you can get just anywhere on the internet. That's what makes this site so sexy.
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 4:38:39 PM
DDO revitalized my intellectual curiosity, ignited my passions in government and economics, and helped me to set my future career aspirations. Basically, it's capacity to facilitate my autodidactic nature in a healthy manner is what matters most to me about DDO.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 4:40:37 PM
At 1/6/2014 1:02:42 AM, Sargon wrote:
At 1/6/2014 12:46:11 AM, YYW wrote:
Debates and people.

Debate because it's a medium for expressing myself intellectually in front of people that I never get in any other context. I care about these particular people because I've become used to them over time. I didn't care about them when I first got here, but they've became a regular part of my life now.

This. It's not often that you get the opportunity to truly feel like an intellectual among peers, especially when we are at young ages, like you and I.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 7:40:35 PM
At 1/6/2014 4:38:39 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
DDO revitalized my intellectual curiosity, ignited my passions in government and economics, and helped me to set my future career aspirations. Basically, it's capacity to facilitate my autodidactic nature in a healthy manner is what matters most to me about DDO.

Wow. That's fantastic, Bobbert!
Tsar of DDO
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 7:56:27 PM

I got interested in online debating when I started seriously doubting the existence of God and became desperate to know the truth. I was debating on Reddit and eventually upgraded to DDO.

That was the main motivation behind my first wave of activity on this site when I joined a year ago.

The main reason I started debating again is because I'm a very angry person due to the same condition that made me doubt my faith a year ago, and online debating is a safe and productive way to release it.

There's only one thing I'd like to say about the community, and that is no matter how arrogant or rude or whatever I am to people here, it's really not personal.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:13:57 PM
Members,

For me, I would have to say the community. I like to social network, just have a hard time with facebook due to the dull nature I feel from the site. This website is much more intellectually stimulating. Also people aren't afraid here to point out that I wrong here, and because of this I have been able to re-evaluate a lot of my personal beliefs, which I think ultimately has made me a better person, or at least far less ignorant and more open minded. To be specific, I love mafia, I love debating, I love voting, I love getting involved in the many new ideas that are constantly sprouting up everywhere. I love how members can get on board with these ideas, and work them together, until it's something that is commonly accepted and appreciated. The unique member base this site attracts is was makes it so great.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227