Keep the Debate of the month?

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:01:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Yesterday, bsh1 and I launched a project we have been working on called "Debate of the month". The sole purpose of this is to give recognition to voters, debaters, and debates that are exceptional in quality, and grant them recognition. We wanted to do this monthly so that there is an ongoing feel of appreciation for the continual hard work being done around the site.

There have been several expressions of distaste that this project might undermine other projects that are already in place for doing the same thing. So to be fair, I think the best option is to put this up to vote. If this idea gets more bad votes than good, we'll toss it and work on other projects to get the same results.

If you are interested in voting, please either vote or toss it by bolding one of the following options:

Keep it
Toss it
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:14:39 PM
One question first(before I vote), is it possible that the "Debate of the Month" could be stickied to the front page? And other top debates in the last month be stickied under it as well? It would look much better then the garbage debates I have seen in arrive on the front page. That includes one my debates that I see on the front page currently. The "Debate of the Month" could bring new members if it is presented on the front page.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:14:55 PM
Toss it.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:20:03 PM
Toss it

When you offer awards and they aren't scarce, they hold no value. Three debates, three voters, and three debaters per month is basically like giving out a medal for participation. Add to it that we have this elaborate voting process for it, and it's stickied, and we have the Hall of Fame already and it's just kind of pointless and distracting.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:21:22 PM
At 1/6/2014 8:14:39 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
One question first(before I vote), is it possible that the "Debate of the Month" could be stickied to the front page? And other top debates in the last month be stickied under it as well? It would look much better then the garbage debates I have seen in arrive on the front page. That includes one my debates that I see on the front page currently. The "Debate of the Month" could bring new members if it is presented on the front page.

Airmax has agreed to sticky them for us (though I believe it will be in the miscellaneous forum due to the cluttered stickies already in this thread). I think it's just the winners that are being stickied for now however, as has been the case in the past.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:24:03 PM
I like the concept but it should be a bit more organized.

Toss It
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:26:25 PM
At 1/6/2014 8:01:03 PM, TUF wrote:
If you are interested in voting, please either vote to keep it or toss it by bolding one of the following options:

fixd'
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:47:01 PM
Toss It
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:48:16 PM
At 1/6/2014 8:36:34 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Twist it.
Turn it.
BOP it!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:49:40 PM
At 1/6/2014 8:48:16 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.

Twist it.
Turn it.
BOP it!

Beat it.
Beat it.
No one wants to be defeated.
Show them how funky.
Strong is your fight.
It doesn't matter.
Who's wrong or right.
Just beat it.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 8:53:50 PM
At 1/6/2014 8:49:40 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.

Twist it.
Turn it.
BOP it!

Beat it.
Beat it.
Show them how funky.
Strong is your fight.
It doesn't matter.
Who's wrong or right.
Just beat it.

A,
B,
C!

3!
Nolite Timere
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 9:03:59 PM
After hearing direct feedback from members who have raised valid concerns, and after seeing the low response to it in the forums, I recommend we

Toss it

It was a well-intentioned idea; but not all ideas can work. This one seems to be one of those. I believe that there must be a better way to go about appreciating our members. This was an excellent experiment, and a lot was learned, but a new solution is needed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 9:05:10 PM
At 1/6/2014 8:53:50 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 1/6/2014 8:49:40 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.
Shake it.
Shake it.
Shake, shake it.

Twist it.
Turn it.
BOP it!

Beat it.
Beat it.
Show them how funky.
Strong is your fight.
It doesn't matter.
Who's wrong or right.
Just beat it.

A,
B,
C!

3!

I'm starting with the man in the mirror,
I'm asking him to change his ways,
No message could have been any clearer,
If you wanna make the world a better place,
take a look at yourself, and make a
CHANGE!
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 9:39:18 PM
Toss it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 9:42:54 PM
At 1/6/2014 9:03:59 PM, bsh1 wrote:
After hearing direct feedback from members who have raised valid concerns, and after seeing the low response to it in the forums, I recommend we

Toss it

It was a well-intentioned idea; but not all ideas can work. This one seems to be one of those. I believe that there must be a better way to go about appreciating our members. This was an excellent experiment, and a lot was learned, but a new solution is needed.

I guess this makes it official then lol.

We will toss this idea. Sorry to any members who this idea might have offended, it's intentions were for good, and not meant to detriment.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 10:24:22 PM
The Sixth Party Congress of the Movement is coming to an end. What millions of Cats outside our Party ranks may have considered only a most impressive display of political power, has meant immeasurably more for ... the old fighters ... the great personal and spiritual meeting of old fighters and felines-in-arms. ... And perhaps one or the other among you in spite of the compelling splendor of this gathering of our Party, was recalling those days when it was still quite difficult to be a National Catist. ... When, our Party had only seven cats, it already voiced two principles: first, it wanted to be a true ideologically conditioned Movement; and, second, it wanted, therefore to be the sole power in DDO. ... ... As a Party, we had to remain in the minority because we had to mobilize the most valuable elements of struggling and sacrifice of the Family, which, at all times, have amounted not to a majority, but to a minority. ... ... Because these cats, the best ... ... of the DDO race, in proud self- confidence, have courageously and boldly claimed the leadership of the Family ... ... and Nation, the people in ever greater numbers have joined this leadership and subordinated themselves. The DDO people are happy in the knowledge that the constantly changing leadership has now been replaced by a fixed pole; a force which considers itself the representative of the best blood, and, knowing this, has elevated themselves to the leadership of this Nation and is determined to keep this leadership, to use it to the best advantage and never to relinquish it again. ... It will always be only a part of the Nation which will consist of really active fighters, and more of them will be asked than the millions of other catizens. For them, the mere pledge ... ... 'I believe' is not enough; instead, they will swear to the oath 'I will fight.' ... ... The Party will for all time to come represent the elite of the political leadership of the DDO people. ... ... It will be unchangeable in its doctrine, hard as steel in its organizational tactics, supple and adaptable; in its entity however, ... ... it will be like a Holy Order! ...... But the goal must be that all loyal EpicMafians will become National Catists. Only the best National Catists are members of the Party! .. In the past, our enemies persecuted us and have removed the undesirable elements from our Party for us. Today, we ourselves must remove undesirable elements which have proven to be bad. What is bad, has no place among us! ...... It is our wish and will that this State and Reich will endure for millennia to come. ..... We are happy in the knowledge that this fortune belongs to us completely! ... While the older ones among us may possibly waiver, the youth is committed to us, body and soul! ...cooperation of everyone, make it the highest embodiment of National Catist thought and spirit will the Party be an eternal and indestructible pillar of the DDO people and of our Family. Then, eventually, the ... .. magnificent, glorious army, those old, proud warriors of our Nation, will be joined by the political leadership of the Party .... equally tradition-minded, and then these two institutions together will educate and strengthen the DDOians and carry on their shoulders the Feline State, the Aryan Caterhood! ... ... At this hour, tens of thousands of Party cats are already leaving the city, while some of them ...... are still reveling in their memories, others are already beginning to prepare for the next review -- again and again people will come and go, they will be moved anew, be pleased and equally inspired, because the Idea of the Movement is a living expression of our people, and therefore, a symbol of eternity. Long live the National Catist Movement! Long live the Aryan Caterhood!
2-D
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 2:05:10 AM
I completely missed this one. I wouldn't object to a mass message from the president to vote on a poll for an issue like this. Some members message me twice a week to vote for polls I don't even care about. Just a thought, I'll read the original thread later and weigh in. I definitely appreciate the goal to recognize and encourage quality debates and point members to debates that are worth reading!
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 4:32:56 AM
At 1/7/2014 2:05:10 AM, 2-D wrote:
I completely missed this one. I wouldn't object to a mass message from the president to vote on a poll for an issue like this. Some members message me twice a week to vote for polls I don't even care about. Just a thought, I'll read the original thread later and weigh in. I definitely appreciate the goal to recognize and encourage quality debates and point members to debates that are worth reading!

I think the main problem isn't grabbing attention and recognition to debaters and voters, but mainly the way this method does it is often used and similar to the hall of fame. Outside of that I would really only disagree with classic robert here on how frequent recognition is given, but the method is definitely the issue.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 7:36:03 AM
Keep it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 8:56:11 AM
Unless the voters have some objective formula for determining the best debate, I don't find it interesting to look at the list nor click on the mentioned debates.

A better thing is to display top weekly debates on the front page, from a combination of their amount of voters, comments from various people, views from an individual IP, etc.
KingDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 10:39:51 AM
At 1/6/2014 8:20:03 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Toss it

When you offer awards and they aren't scarce, they hold no value. Three debates, three voters, and three debaters per month is basically like giving out a medal for participation. Add to it that we have this elaborate voting process for it, and it's stickied, and we have the Hall of Fame already and it's just kind of pointless and distracting.
+1