Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How do people become so good at debating?

StudentSenatorSamson
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional. I mean is this what some people do for a living, just sit on their computers and research everything and debate about it? When it comes to debating about religion with people in my community I feel as if the debates are pretty well rounded, but then I go on here and read some of the debates and it's like I'm reading something straight from a World Class professional debate team or what not. I have tried and simply cannot compete with people on this website. I respect everyone that debates so professionally and eloquently and only wish to be as good as the debate-rs that I've read. Thanks for any info and what not.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 10:23:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM, StudentSenatorSamson wrote:
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional.

Youve clearly never seen any of MY debates then :P

I mean is this what some people do for a living, just sit on their computers and research everything and debate about it? When it comes to debating about religion with people in my community I feel as if the debates are pretty well rounded, but then I go on here and read some of the debates and it's like I'm reading something straight from a World Class professional debate team or what not. I have tried and simply cannot compete with people on this website. I respect everyone that debates so professionally and eloquently and only wish to be as good as the debate-rs that I've read. Thanks for any info and what not.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
thett3
Posts: 14,336
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 10:34:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM, StudentSenatorSamson wrote:
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional. I mean is this what some people do for a living, just sit on their computers and research everything and debate about it?

You'd be surprised how easy information is to come by, especially on the hot button issues that are commonly debated.

When it comes to debating about religion with people in my community I feel as if the debates are pretty well rounded, but then I go on here and read some of the debates and it's like I'm reading something straight from a World Class professional debate team or what not.

I just got back from judging a real life debate tournament and the reason the arguments on here are sometimes more sophisticated is that you have, almost always, 3 days to respond to your opponents.

I have tried and simply cannot compete with people on this website. I respect everyone that debates so professionally and eloquently and only wish to be as good as the debate-rs that I've read. Thanks for any info and what not.

Haha it impresses me sometimes too. Then I'll see a debate with a full forfeit :p but there are some definite good debates on here
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 10:39:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
How does one become good at anything ? Practice, practice practice.

A good start is looking at the best debaters and debates on here, seeing how they do things.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:26:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM, StudentSenatorSamson wrote:
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional. I mean is this what some people do for a living, just sit on their computers and research everything and debate about it? When it comes to debating about religion with people in my community I feel as if the debates are pretty well rounded, but then I go on here and read some of the debates and it's like I'm reading something straight from a World Class professional debate team or what not. I have tried and simply cannot compete with people on this website. I respect everyone that debates so professionally and eloquently and only wish to be as good as the debate-rs that I've read. Thanks for any info and what not.

Lol not mine mate.
NightofTheLivingCats
Posts: 2,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:49:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:39:54 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
How does one become good at anything ? Practice, practice practice.

A good start is looking at the best debaters and debates on here, seeing how they do things.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2014 11:57:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM, StudentSenatorSamson wrote:
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional. I mean is this what some people do for a living, just sit on their computers and research everything and debate about it? When it comes to debating about religion with people in my community I feel as if the debates are pretty well rounded, but then I go on here and read some of the debates and it's like I'm reading something straight from a World Class professional debate team or what not. I have tried and simply cannot compete with people on this website. I respect everyone that debates so professionally and eloquently and only wish to be as good as the debate-rs that I've read. Thanks for any info and what not.

We all go through the phase where we come on here and are absolutely floored by the intellectual prowess shown by other members of the community. That eventually goes away for most, as we get better and more autodidactic (and we reach a new normal, so to speak), but I think that there are always debates here that can humble even the most brilliant people. You'll get there. If you want help with your debates so you can improve, you can always feel free to message me.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 1:44:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 12:02:02 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
Keep debating and dont judge yerself based on votes. ALOT of votes are talking out of peoples dick.

That conjured up a very disturbing image.........
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
NightofTheLivingCats
Posts: 2,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 1:44:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 1:44:00 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/11/2014 12:02:02 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
Keep debating and dont judge yerself based on votes. ALOT of votes are talking out of peoples dick.

That conjured up a very disturbing image.........

A talking dick?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 1:45:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 1:44:48 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:44:00 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/11/2014 12:02:02 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
Keep debating and dont judge yerself based on votes. ALOT of votes are talking out of peoples dick.

That conjured up a very disturbing image.........

A talking dick?

uh huh
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
NightofTheLivingCats
Posts: 2,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 1:47:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 1:45:26 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:44:48 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:44:00 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/11/2014 12:02:02 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
Keep debating and dont judge yerself based on votes. ALOT of votes are talking out of peoples dick.

That conjured up a very disturbing image.........

A talking dick?

uh huh

Am I gay that I could have easily envisioned that in my mind?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 1:47:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 1:47:01 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:45:26 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:44:48 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 1/11/2014 1:44:00 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/11/2014 12:02:02 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
Keep debating and dont judge yerself based on votes. ALOT of votes are talking out of peoples dick.

That conjured up a very disturbing image.........

A talking dick?

uh huh

Am I gay that I could have easily envisioned that in my mind?

Powers of visualization does not equal therefore gay

But in your case...........yes.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Cheetah
Posts: 106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 3:10:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM, StudentSenatorSamson wrote:
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional. I mean is this what some people do for a living...

Just eat some KFC
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 11:28:37 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM, StudentSenatorSamson wrote:
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional. I mean is this what some people do for a living, just sit on their computers and research everything and debate about it? When it comes to debating about religion with people in my community I feel as if the debates are pretty well rounded, but then I go on here and read some of the debates and it's like I'm reading something straight from a World Class professional debate team or what not. I have tried and simply cannot compete with people on this website. I respect everyone that debates so professionally and eloquently and only wish to be as good as the debate-rs that I've read. Thanks for any info and what not.

How do people become so good at debating?

First you must separate good debating from winning debates. To win debates you must get a following of group thinkers who mirror your thinking who will vote for you.
Good debating is just the facts without the spin.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
2-D
Posts: 226
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 2:46:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/10/2014 10:21:46 PM, StudentSenatorSamson wrote:
I love reading the debates on here. But, how does every debate that I read always seem so professional. I mean is this what some people do for a living, just sit on their computers and research everything and debate about it? When it comes to debating about religion with people in my community I feel as if the debates are pretty well rounded, but then I go on here and read some of the debates and it's like I'm reading something straight from a World Class professional debate team or what not. I have tried and simply cannot compete with people on this website. I respect everyone that debates so professionally and eloquently and only wish to be as good as the debate-rs that I've read. Thanks for any info and what not.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 4:28:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 4:18:15 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Understand that nothing is out of bounds in debate. If you can make it make sense, it's legit.

This tactic would be an example of bad debating but good for winning debates
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 4:38:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 4:28:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:18:15 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Understand that nothing is out of bounds in debate. If you can make it make sense, it's legit.

This tactic would be an example of bad debating but good for winning debates

Au contraire. If you make it make sense, then you're obviously making good use of persuasive writing. Pulling things out of your butt and making sense out of it is actually some of the best debating you can do.
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2014 6:43:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 4:38:54 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:28:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:18:15 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Understand that nothing is out of bounds in debate. If you can make it make sense, it's legit.

This tactic would be an example of bad debating but good for winning debates

Au contraire. If you make it make sense, then you're obviously making good use of persuasive writing. Pulling things out of your butt and making sense out of it is actually some of the best debating you can do.

That is called "spin" and benefits no one except those wanting to win a debate.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 4:06:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Years of practice and effort.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
MassiveDump
Posts: 3,423
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 4:15:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/11/2014 6:43:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:38:54 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:28:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:18:15 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Understand that nothing is out of bounds in debate. If you can make it make sense, it's legit.

This tactic would be an example of bad debating but good for winning debates

Au contraire. If you make it make sense, then you're obviously making good use of persuasive writing. Pulling things out of your butt and making sense out of it is actually some of the best debating you can do.

That is called "spin" and benefits no one except those wanting to win a debate.

Which is why it's a good debating tactic. I only use it in competitive situations, anyway.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 4:41:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/12/2014 4:15:26 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 1/11/2014 6:43:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:38:54 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:28:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/11/2014 4:18:15 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
Understand that nothing is out of bounds in debate. If you can make it make sense, it's legit.

This tactic would be an example of bad debating but good for winning debates

Au contraire. If you make it make sense, then you're obviously making good use of persuasive writing. Pulling things out of your butt and making sense out of it is actually some of the best debating you can do.

That is called "spin" and benefits no one except those wanting to win a debate.

Which is why it's a good debating tactic. I only use it in competitive situations, anyway.

So basically every good troll debate
Nolite Timere
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 4:52:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Debating is easy. There are only two rules.

1. Make good arguments.

2. Don't make bad arguments.

If you do that, you should win every debate. Of course that's assume ideal conditions, i.e. all the voters are competent.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2014 6:38:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/12/2014 4:52:18 PM, philochristos wrote:
Debating is easy. There are only two rules.

1. Make good arguments.

2. Don't make bad arguments.

If you do that, you should win every debate. Of course that's assume ideal conditions, i.e. all the voters are competent.

Nah, even with incompetent voters these are still what you wanna do. Just two gets a little gray-ish if you have an incompetent voter.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ADreamOfLiberty
Posts: 1,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 12:03:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
1. Study logic. <- indispensable as the population on sites like this prove every day

1.a become familiar with informal fallacies, they are the most common. Do not commit them. Point them out when someone else uses them.

1.b become familiar with formal fallacies they are less common in the typical rubbish but lack the 'fishy' phrasing that often tips the uninformed to the presence of informal fallacies. Do not commit them. Point them out when someone else uses them.

1.c never forget what you're trying to demonstrate, inductive or deductive reasoning

1.d realize that evidence without logic means next to nothing. Never equate a good link or well established fact with a good argument.

1.e realize that logic without evidence means completely nothing. Never equate valid or strong argument with a sound or cogent one. It is rare that someone's final logic is faulty, you will almost always need to challenge a premise you disagree with, and to do that you need to realize that the reason you disagree with the conclusion is that you disagree with the premise not the logic.

1.f Do not go in circles, this is related (4). You need to keep in mind what is given (assumed) and what is not in any part of the argument. Pay attention to conditionals at all time and remember to obey the condition if you speak to the consequent.

2. Be informed about evidence available in the field you are debating.

2.a Even if you're relatively knowledgeable always double check the evidence before using it as a premise. The difference between a layman and a professional is mostly the time they spend making sure they are right.

2.b If you don't recognize a term or a phrase look it up, if you don't understand it after 30 minutes of research you probably shouldn't be arguing about it and you should retract any assertions you made on the subject.

3. Read your opponents arguments first and think about them for a day before coming back and reading them again before responding.

4. Remember the context, every statement in a debate exists in a hierarchy of counter-points. If you don't remember the logic you advanced or the logic your opponent advanced you will stroll around idea-space and go in big circles.

5. Don't accuse anybody of twisting your words or anything else that cannot be quantified or checked. Accuse them instead of forgetting the context, of committing a strawman, or of appealing to emotion. If you cannot find a problem like that it is most likely that they are not twisting your words, you did indeed imply what they say you did.

In essence remember this: Ultimately every problem with your opponents argument is fallacy (logic failure) or unsupported premises (evidence failure), those are the only problems you should look for. They are the only problems in your own arguments that you need to avoid.
LOL, yeah, it's pretty amazing how they think they can "reason" with you. - Sidewalker, speaking of advocates for sexual deviancy.

So, my advice, Liberty, is to go somewhere else. Leave, and never come back. - YYW

And that's what I did. Contact me at http://www.edeb8.com... by the same user name if you have anything you'd like to say.
Cheetah
Posts: 106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2014 7:57:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
STUDY RHETORICS

If you master rhetorics then you will be capable of making an inteligent debate, you must also be aware of grammar and spelling (for example, if you didn't notice that I spelled "Intelligent" wrong, then you need more practice detecting mispellings).

Here's a good start:
http://www.virtualsalt.com...