Total Posts:139|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

1st Round of Debates is not for Acceptance!

GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
TUF
Posts: 21,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 11:36:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The reason I believe many members make a hypothetical acceptance round is so that someone can agree to the debate without forfietting. Its annoying to waste the first round with an argument, have someone accept, then forfeit, making both the debate and the argument a waste. By having them accept first, if they decide to forfeit at least you get a free win for the argument you made (if they accepted in the first round) but at any rate you did not waste your time arguing.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 11:43:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
"Acceptance" is not an event, it is a process. The Instigator sets up the meaning of the resolution, rules, and conditions, but not arguments. It's like the courtship that precedes the marriage.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 11:45:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, I'm a bit frightened that the OP may try to belittle me, regardless, here goes:

Personally, I set round #1 as a welcome mat. Basically, get people oriented as to what the debate is going to be about. Given that I'm spending my time and space doing this and not actually debating or arguing anything, I would be at an disadvantage in following rounds if I do not insist that the opponent reserve their own round #1 for acceptance only and maybe a short introduction as to why they accepted the debate.

This seems only fair to me. I don't see the OP's point as being valid, and see it as taking guidelines a bit too literally.

And since I've conveyed a formal disagreement, I expect to be chastised for my immaturity and stupidity. Let the insults begin! =)
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
thett3
Posts: 14,336
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 11:55:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think the main purpose of having the first round for acceptance is to give an even amount of rounds for both sides. I suppose you could have the contender argue in R1 then abstain in the last round, but while that isn't a difficult feat it's more difficult than just stating "first round is for acceptance", and it just doesn't look as clean as having each round save the first be full.

Another reason is because the instigator is often the one trying to change the status quo and thus it's difficult for the contender to respond prematurely to positions and arguments their opponent may not be making. Sometimes the instigator will have an argument in R1, but that has the added disadvantages of both making you waste argument characters clarifying rules and definitions and exposes your arguments to whoever you're debating before they even accept. Not too big of a deal, but enough to make most people just decide the debate should have the first round be for acceptance.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 12:10:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
GWL-CPA is pointlessly stirring up controversy. I was mainly worried someone new on the site might take him seriously.

The Instigator is usually Pro, so Pro has to make a case either as part of the challenge or at the start of R2. Writing the case for the challenge can be a waste of time if no one accepts the debate, and it also incites trolls to spike the debate by clicking "accept" and then forfeiting the first round. The site kills the debate when that happens, so it's a total waste.
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 12:28:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The first round is for acceptance if it is stated as such in the original round. This gives members the option of writing out their arguments after their debate has been accepted so they don't end up wasting their time.
OtakuJordan
Posts: 280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 12:28:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 12:10:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
GWL-CPA is pointlessly stirring up controversy.
"Most of the coldness in the world is actually just people teaching lessons about the coldness in the world. And it does not remove blame from the people cranking the AC." -Ore_Ele

"You see, Adam never spoke about theology. He just had sex with Eve and died." -1970vu
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 12:33:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The point of first round acceptance only is to prevent a potential troll from accepting the debate and completely derailing it with something ridiculous, like defining DNA as 'Demonized Nambian Antelopes' or something insane.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 12:46:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 12:33:24 PM, imabench wrote:
The point of first round acceptance only is to prevent a potential troll from accepting the debate and completely derailing it with something ridiculous, like defining DNA as 'Demonized Nambian Antelopes' or something insane.....

This would only apply to troll debaters who disregard the conditions stated in the original post and post their arguments prematurely. It's only part of the story. Acceptance rounds allow debaters to better-avoid writing a wasted round by ensuring that their debate is accepted, and secondly, that it is accepted by someone whose history suggests they will take the debate seriously/not forfeit.
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 12:55:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 12:46:19 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/17/2014 12:33:24 PM, imabench wrote:
The point of first round acceptance only is to prevent a potential troll from accepting the debate and completely derailing it with something ridiculous, like defining DNA as 'Demonized Nambian Antelopes' or something insane.....

This would only apply to troll debaters who disregard the conditions stated in the original post and post their arguments prematurely. It's only part of the story. Acceptance rounds allow debaters to better-avoid writing a wasted round by ensuring that their debate is accepted, and secondly, that it is accepted by someone whose history suggests they will take the debate seriously/not forfeit.

You can make debates impossible to accept to screen out trolls. You don't need to hold round #1 as acceptance to do that.

It's worked very well for me.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 12:56:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 12:55:33 PM, wrichcirw wrote:
At 1/17/2014 12:46:19 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 1/17/2014 12:33:24 PM, imabench wrote:
The point of first round acceptance only is to prevent a potential troll from accepting the debate and completely derailing it with something ridiculous, like defining DNA as 'Demonized Nambian Antelopes' or something insane.....

This would only apply to troll debaters who disregard the conditions stated in the original post and post their arguments prematurely. It's only part of the story. Acceptance rounds allow debaters to better-avoid writing a wasted round by ensuring that their debate is accepted, and secondly, that it is accepted by someone whose history suggests they will take the debate seriously/not forfeit.

You can make debates impossible to accept to screen out trolls. You don't need to hold round #1 as acceptance to do that.

It's worked very well for me.

Good point.
Subutai
Posts: 3,187
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 1:14:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Round 1 may be whatever you want it to be. On DDO, round 1 is generally for acceptance, so shut up claiming that I can't control my own debate.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 1:52:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 12:28:09 PM, OtakuJordan wrote:
At 1/17/2014 12:10:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
GWL-CPA is pointlessly stirring up controversy.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 1:53:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

Would you shut the hell up?
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Caploxion
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?
"That's what people do. They breed, and then their children breed, and then their children do it, and their children do it. But, have you ever asked why we do it?" - Jim 'Metamorphhh' Crawford

"There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but to be overcome; to be got over." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"It's like building a broken building, repairing it and then saying that now I have value in doing so...but it didn't need to be broken in the first place." -Gary 'Inmendham' Mosher
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 2:59:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
First round, like any round, is what the debaters choose them to be.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Caploxion
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 3:00:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.

As required by the ToS, he is to provide his correct age; his account should come into disrepute (and possibly suspension) if you can prove that he isn't 64 years old.
"That's what people do. They breed, and then their children breed, and then their children do it, and their children do it. But, have you ever asked why we do it?" - Jim 'Metamorphhh' Crawford

"There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but to be overcome; to be got over." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"It's like building a broken building, repairing it and then saying that now I have value in doing so...but it didn't need to be broken in the first place." -Gary 'Inmendham' Mosher
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 3:04:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 3:00:39 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.

As required by the ToS, he is to provide his correct age; his account should come into disrepute (and possibly suspension) if you can prove that he isn't 64 years old.

I don't think my palm has ever hit my forehead in a more glorious fashion....
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Caploxion
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 3:05:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 3:04:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:00:39 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.

As required by the ToS, he is to provide his correct age; his account should come into disrepute (and possibly suspension) if you can prove that he isn't 64 years old.

I don't think my palm has ever hit my forehead in a more glorious fashion....

Why? What was wrong with what I said?
"That's what people do. They breed, and then their children breed, and then their children do it, and their children do it. But, have you ever asked why we do it?" - Jim 'Metamorphhh' Crawford

"There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but to be overcome; to be got over." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"It's like building a broken building, repairing it and then saying that now I have value in doing so...but it didn't need to be broken in the first place." -Gary 'Inmendham' Mosher
OtakuJordan
Posts: 280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 3:42:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 3:05:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:04:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:00:39 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.

As required by the ToS, he is to provide his correct age; his account should come into disrepute (and possibly suspension) if you can prove that he isn't 64 years old.

I don't think my palm has ever hit my forehead in a more glorious fashion....

Why? What was wrong with what I said?

Do you want to ban ima too? Or do you think that his name is really Smitty Werbenjagermanjenson?
"Most of the coldness in the world is actually just people teaching lessons about the coldness in the world. And it does not remove blame from the people cranking the AC." -Ore_Ele

"You see, Adam never spoke about theology. He just had sex with Eve and died." -1970vu
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 3:50:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I like the way edeb8 does it. The rounds don't start until the contender accepts.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 4:45:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 3:05:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:

Why? What was wrong with what I said?

It's all well and good that the ToS says we shouldn't lie about our age and name and stuff for our profiles, but there's literally no enforce-ability of it. So no one tries to enforce it. It's the same policy everywhere on the internet. TECHNICALLY, you should be 17 before you play an M-rated game. TECHNICALLY, you should be 17 before you watch an R-rated movie. TECHNICALLY, you should be 18 before you watch pornography. TECHNICALLY, some games online require age verification. That doesn't stop people from getting around it since its notoriously easy to get around.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 4:51:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 3:04:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:00:39 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.

As required by the ToS, he is to provide his correct age; his account should come into disrepute (and possibly suspension) if you can prove that he isn't 64 years old.

I don't think my palm has ever hit my forehead in a more glorious fashion....

i loled
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 6:36:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 11:36:34 AM, TUF wrote:
The reason I believe many members make a hypothetical acceptance round is so that someone can agree to the debate without forfietting. Its annoying to waste the first round with an argument, have someone accept, then forfeit, making both the debate and the argument a waste. By having them accept first, if they decide to forfeit at least you get a free win for the argument you made (if they accepted in the first round) but at any rate you did not waste your time arguing.

What do you folks not understand?

I am looking at an open debate, "The Trolley Problem." The Instigator or Pro is Existent. No one has accepted the debate, so "The Contender" is a "?" mark.
http://www.debate.org...

The button I click on the screen to accept the debate is in a big box on the screen that states:

"Open Debate"

"This debate challenge is open to the first member that accepts it."

Then under that statement is a smaller box that you must click to accept the debate challenge.

That button you must click to accept the debate states:

"Accept the Challenge"

That is very clear!

Do you folks that think the First Debate Round is for Acceptance need interpreters?

When you click that button, you are accepting the debate! There is no need to state in the First Debate Round "First Round is for acceptance."

Many of you folks are making up your own rules because it has been done that way for so long.

TUF, if I understand your argument, you are saying that if you start a debate and you state in the first round, "This round is for acceptance," then someone can accept or agree to the debate without forfeiting. How?

And, that is easier because you don't have to waste time typing an argument. And, if they just accept in the first round, which they have already done by clicking the accept button, then you both save time by not typing arguments in the first round. Then if they don't post again in the other rounds, you get the win, which is another fault with how these debates are judge. If your opponent just types in the First Argument Round that he/she accepts and they post nothing else, why should you win that debate?

There was no debate!

All, you typed was "This round is for acceptance." So you win the debate because you typed 5 words in a short sentence that is not an argument. Too funny! Those debates should be cancelled by the moderator. Until your opponent types an argument to refute your argument, there is no debate.

And, many of you folks seem to have this misconception that if your opponent forfeits a round you automatically win, which is not what the rules state:

"What if I forfeit a round?"
"Even if you don't have time to leave a full response, DO NOT forfeit a round. Forfeiting a round destroys your credibility and makes it less likely that voters will vote for you. If you can't post a full response, write as much as you can, and leave a simple sentence stating that you are unable to post a full argument and will return for the next round. This lets your opponent know that you still wish to participate in the debate and allows them to elaborate their argument. If you or your opponent have forfeited a round and you would like to draw that to the attention of voters, post a link in this forum thread."
http://www.debate.org...

As a side note, I have already proven that debates at DDO are pointless because of confirmation bias and in-friend or in-group bias, and because too few members vote - the average number of voters is 2, the median number of voters is 1, and the mode is zero voters - see the statistics from 1,000 debates I selected at random and reviewed for number of voters below. See the link to my forum: "Confirmation Bias Cannot be Beaten!"
http://www.debate.org...

DDO should have a rule that debates only count if a minimum of 10 or more members vote. How can you really be considered a winner if only 10 or fewer members vote? You can't; but, it is a big status symbol at this site to win. Too funny!

This nonsense about trolls is just that - Nonsense!

Many of you folks accuse anyone who does not agree with you as being a troll. Especially, people like me who expose the absurdities and immature nonsense babbled by a few.

Voter Statistics:

I selected 1,000 debates at random to determine how many people actually vote on debates.

I did this to prove how worthless debating is at this site; these debates prove nothing because too few vote and, confirmation bias and in-group bias are huge.

The average number of voters in these 1,000 debates was 2 voters

The Median or number in the middle of these 1,000 debates was 1 voter

The Mode or most frequent number of voters was zero (0) or no voters.

Here is a breakdown by number of voters:

376 debates or 37.6% had 0 voters
214 debates or 21.4% had 1 voter
152 debates or 15.2% had 2 voters
95 debates or 9.5% had 3 voters
58 debates or 5.8% had 4 voters
40 debates or 4.0% had 5 voters
27 debates or 2.7% had 6 voters
16 debates or 1.6% had 7 voters
11 debates or 1.1% had 8 voters
4 debates or 0.40% had 9 voters
5 debates or 0.50% had 10 voters
1 debate or 0.10% had 12 voters
1 debate or 0.10% had 14 voters

The fact that members are ranked on the number of debates they win is a joke.

Winning debates at this site proves nothing. It does not prove you are a better debater. Most of the debates that are won because of confirmation bias and or in-group (i.e., friends voting for friends) bias.

"Confirmation bias"

Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency for people to favor information that confirms their preconceptions or hypotheses regardless of whether the information is true. As a result, people gather evidence and recall information from memory selectively, and interpret it in a biased way. The biases appear in particular for emotionally significant issues and for established beliefs. For example, in reading about gun control, people usually prefer sources that affirm their existing attitudes. They also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and/or recall have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a stronger weighting for data encountered early in an arbitrary series) and illusory correlation (in which people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).
http://www.princeton.edu...

Anyway, regardless of what you folks think, the First Argument Round is not for acceptance.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 6:57:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

This, like so many other things you have posted, is just stupid. The first round is for whatever the debaters say it is for. If you have a problem with that, then either don't accept the specific debate or leave the site.
Tsar of DDO
GWL-CPA
Posts: 627
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:17:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 6:57:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

This, like so many other things you have posted, is just stupid. The first round is for whatever the debaters say it is for. If you have a problem with that, then either don't accept the specific debate or leave the site.

You are full of it.

You are a debate cheat.

Where do you live now?

You are as dishonest as the day is long.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Mark Twain
sadolite
Posts: 8,837
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:24:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 3:05:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:04:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:00:39 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.

As required by the ToS, he is to provide his correct age; his account should come into disrepute (and possibly suspension) if you can prove that he isn't 64 years old.

I don't think my palm has ever hit my forehead in a more glorious fashion....

Why? What was wrong with what I said?

You really need to study the art of sarcasm. It will take you along way around here. I use sarcasm and absurdity exclusively to make points and arguments. It absolutely dumbfounds some people. When you use another absurd to show an absurd, it is very powerful. The vast majority never see where I am coming from and still don't. Don't let people redirect and mire you in details.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Posts: 36,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2014 7:27:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2014 7:24:43 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:05:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:04:46 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 3:00:39 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:58:07 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 1/17/2014 2:56:42 PM, Caploxion wrote:
At 1/17/2014 11:29:04 AM, GWL-CPA wrote:
Many DDO members seem to be confused as to what the First Round of a Debate is for. Many believe it is for acceptance, which is incorrect.

When you click on the accept debate button on screen that is where acceptance happens, not in the first argument round.

All the argument rounds, which can be from 1 to 5, are for posting rules, clarifying what is being debated, posting arguments, citing sources, inserting You-Tube videos, etc.

The First debate argument round is not for acceptance!

Members stating that the First Argument round is for acceptance are confused and wasting the chance to post their positions, facts, etc.

This is from the DDO FAQs:

"What is an online debate?

"In an online debate on Debate.org, one member challenges another to discuss a topic, pointing out facts and arguing points to support their side of the argument. Each debate is made up of 1-5 rounds in which each member can post their arguments and rebut the arguments made by their opponent. Once both sides have posted their arguments, the members of the community vote for the winner."
http://www.debate.org......

I've seen quite a few of your posts on here, and you seem to have a penchant for being overly meticulous, as well as a proponent of countless Ad Hominem attacks. Shouldn't a 64 year old know better?

You act like he's actually 64.

As required by the ToS, he is to provide his correct age; his account should come into disrepute (and possibly suspension) if you can prove that he isn't 64 years old.

I don't think my palm has ever hit my forehead in a more glorious fashion....

Why? What was wrong with what I said?

You really need to study the art of sarcasm. It will take you along way around here. I use sarcasm and absurdity exclusively to make points and arguments. It absolutely dumbfounds some people. When you use another absurd to show an absurd, it is very powerful. The vast majority never see where I am coming from and still don't. Don't let people redirect and mire you in details.

Spot on.
Tsar of DDO