Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

The Evolution of Belief

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:16:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What have you changed your mind about and why? For most I would imagine that this change would have something to do with religion, for others it may involve politics.

For me, the most consequential change of my perception happened when I was relatively young.

When I was 5-6 years of age I acquired a steadfast determination to read the Bible all the way through. At the end of this experience I came to conclude that the existence of God is unlikely given the stories of the Bible. (I know, this type of reasoning involves a fallacy, but I didn't understand that at the time.) At one point I read in the Bible that there was one man who was claimed to have killed 10,000 people in one battle, and after reading I thought: This just can't be true; it's to outlandish.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:22:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I used to be quite the staunch moral relativist until I got absolutely OWNED in a debate -- that led me to start really doubting that philosophical position.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:23:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/14/2010 10:16:59 PM, Freeman wrote:
When I was 5-6 years of age I acquired a steadfast determination to read the Bible all the way through. At the end of this experience I came to conclude that the existence of God is unlikely given the stories of the Bible. (I know, this type of reasoning involves a fallacy, but I didn't understand that at the time.) At one point I read in the Bible that there was one man who was claimed to have killed 10,000 people in one battle, and after reading I thought: This just can't be true; it's to outlandish.

You had the reasoning (not to mention reading) abilities to know the Bible was a bunch o BS when you were in second grade?!

Props to you. I certainly wasn't that intelligent.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:27:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My views on gay marriage have changed, through debate and growth. As well as my views on the government's role in society and with individuals. My view on freedoms and rights have pretty steadfast though.

Philosophies on how political ideas are formed and why people think the way they do (in regards to political stances) on the whole, not individual stances. Maybe I'll even post it here, but I'm still pretty shy about it. It's my baby and I'm not yet ready to toss her to be criticized by others (I might cry).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:28:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I used to be socially conservative, though I lacked arguments to back that stance in the first place. My exposure to Friedman was the first step in the direction to libertarianism and I haven't looked back.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:32:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/14/2010 10:28:40 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I used to be socially conservative, though I lacked arguments to back that stance in the first place. My exposure to Friedman was the first step in the direction to libertarianism and I haven't looked back.

Friedman was cool.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2010 10:46:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/14/2010 10:23:10 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 1/14/2010 10:16:59 PM, Freeman wrote:
When I was 5-6 years of age I acquired a steadfast determination to read the Bible all the way through. At the end of this experience I came to conclude that the existence of God is unlikely given the stories of the Bible. (I know, this type of reasoning involves a fallacy, but I didn't understand that at the time.) At one point I read in the Bible that there was one man who was claimed to have killed 10,000 people in one battle, and after reading I thought: This just can't be true; it's to outlandish.

You had the reasoning (not to mention reading) abilities to know the Bible was a bunch o BS when you were in second grade?!

Props to you. I certainly wasn't that intelligent.

I wasn't really indoctrinated as a child, although I did have a mild Anglican upbringing. At any rate, children are naturally skeptical of the Bible. It's not really a matter of intelligence.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:00:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I learned quite a bit through debates. I learned that milk is actually quite bad for you and has little to no nutritional merits. In terms of practicality, I think this trumps almost any other revelation I had on DDO. I still tell people about milk and how people should switch to soy or rice milk. It sounds stupid, but this little factoid means a lot to me because it was rooted in my brain in a very difficult manner.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:13:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/15/2010 8:00:27 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I learned quite a bit through debates. I learned that milk is actually quite bad for you and has little to no nutritional merits. In terms of practicality, I think this trumps almost any other revelation I had on DDO. I still tell people about milk and how people should switch to soy or rice milk. It sounds stupid, but this little factoid means a lot to me because it was rooted in my brain in a very difficult manner.

Its funny that you post this as I drink a tall, cool glass of milk. I couldn't stand anything else - soy milk tastes like crap, and rice milk is similarly distasteful. And yes, I've had both. I've even had coconut milk (blegh).

Anyways.. I used to essentially be a drifter in terms of belief, as when I grew up, I never had any ardent belief system pumped into me. My family was supportive but they never forced me to think any one way - I simply copied them in most respects up until I was 15, which was Progressive Conservative-supporting, scientific background, maybe-agnostic-maybe-deist.

Then I started drifting away and learning on my own, joining a Pentecostal group which helped discover my atheism, learning about politics which pushed me towards liberalism and the Liberal Party, and of course joining here, which has dispelled me of a lot of generalized notions, in favour of specifics and intellectual thought. Debate is good.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:25:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Milk would be classified more as a dessert in my mind. It's fat and water. Not exactly the healthiest of things XD I just don't think people should drink it every day. Once in a while is fine, like fried food or soda.

I had a bit of difficulty answering this topic question because I've never placed too much importance in what I believe. The Kleptin outside of DDO is a shallow dolt, almost to the point of being a multiple personality.

DDO Kleptin is like a toy robot I play with when I'm bored, and arguments/beliefs are analogous to the little toy weapons attached to the robot. When one of them breaks, I take whatever was used to break it, and use that instead.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:25:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/15/2010 8:15:32 AM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:13:09 AM, Volkov wrote:
Debate is good.

I think we found the new slogan for this site.

I was going to go with "Debate ist GUD!!" but, then I realized I didn't know German.
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:38:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
After Philosophy, reading, introspection, intelligent discourse, my belief systems (religious and political) have morphed like this:

Political beliefs:

Liberal (about 5 years) ---> Libertarian (about 2 years, thank you Ayn Rand - though I had a bit of a Conservative spell last summer because of an ALMOST convincing college professor and a couple of friends... almost, but not quite ;) lol ) ---> back to Liberal (Present day)

Religious beliefs:

Muslim (until I was 15) ---> Pagan (lol Yeah, those awkward high school Pagans lol. Lasted about 2 years - drove me towards) ---> atheist (from 17 until a blurry line with 19 or 20 yo where I contemplated Agnosticism) ---> Agnostic (Present Day, but definitely not agnostic of the Abrahamic God - He drives me to atheism :p)
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:00:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/15/2010 8:56:57 AM, wjmelements wrote:
Why Paganism?

My best friend was a Pagan, and Islam was not complying with my gayness :) Paganism not working (lol lol) drove me to read about atheism, which drove me to that.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:01:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/15/2010 9:01:08 AM, wjmelements wrote:
I don't know of any pagans in my area. What do they believe?

Fix'd for present tense.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:05:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Depends on which sect of paganism you take. There are plenty. Quite hilarious, actually. I use to do a lot of mixing of beliefs depending on what myths and modern sects I was reading. Wicca is the most popular one amongst American pagans.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Frodobaggins
Posts: 602
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:08:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/15/2010 8:25:46 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:15:32 AM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:13:09 AM, Volkov wrote:
Debate is good.

I think we found the new slogan for this site.

I was going to go with "Debate ist GUD!!" but, then I realized I didn't know German.

Actually I'm taking it this semester, the first level.

Debatte ist gut.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:09:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/15/2010 9:08:13 AM, Frodobaggins wrote:
Actually I'm taking it this semester, the first level.

Debatte ist gut.

Confirmed by a level two.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:11:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/15/2010 9:09:31 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 1/15/2010 9:08:13 AM, Frodobaggins wrote:
Actually I'm taking it this semester, the first level.

Debatte ist gut.

Confirmed by a level two.

Sure, you can spell it, but can you emphasize it?

Debatte ist GUT!!!!
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:15:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I like this topic. Thanks Vi Veri for layout.

My political Beliefs are everywhere so I'll put Religion and Economic Beliefs. I'm 14 so there's still time to change.

Economic
8, started caring about Economics. New Labour/"Blair fanboy" – 3 years --> ANTI-RAND, all things Commie GO CUBA and Mother RUSSIA! -- 6months-ish --> Falangist Corporatism -- (2-3years) Modernized less radical --> Neo Corporatism --> Syndicalism (2 weeks ago to 2day!)

Religion (Christianity4Life)

--12--> Anglican (Baptised and school) -->2 years --Full Latin Reading Catholic--> Months--> "deist*" Catholic, learnt to separate Ideological/Science ideas from Social/Religious ones.

*Lightly used.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
SaintNick
Posts: 115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 11:13:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/14/2010 10:28:40 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I used to be socially conservative, though I lacked arguments to back that stance in the first place. My exposure to Friedman was the first step in the direction to libertarianism and I haven't looked back.

I was apathetic, then became Libertarian (Friedman helped) and then turned against that as well.