Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

DDO Instructions and Rules

dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 12:22:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm not a big shot or anything, I just feel like doing this.

--DDO Instructions--

Debates:

The debate section is the main part of DDO. Most of the best debaters do their stuff there than anywhere else- RoyLatham for example.

How do I make/post a debate?

Posting a debate is really easy and anyone can do it. If you're a member, that is. You should see a big blue button that says "start a new debate." Click on that.
You should now be presented with a series of options that you can change. Once you select all of your options, click "review" at the bottom of the page to see everything about your new debate.

I messed up! How do I change it?

When you mess up on the title, or your writing, you can only change it before someone accepts. Click on "edit debate" and make the changes necessary.
If you mess up and you realize AFTER someone else accepts it, you can't change it. To prevent this, be aware of what you are posting and read everything thoroughly before you post it.

How do I accept a debate?

To accept a debate, all you have to do is click "accept the challenge." And just like that, you are debating!

What is a BoP?

A BoP is a burden of proof. The person who has the burden of proof needs to prove that their argument is correct to meet heir BoP, and usually to win the debate.
In most cases, the BoP is shared by both the instigator and the contender. This means whoever better proves their BoP wins the debate (usually.)
In other cases, the BoP lies on a single person. If the BoP is on you solely, watch out! This means you are in for a hard debate.
If the BoP is on the instigator, you usually only have to refute the opposition's arguments.

How do I vote?

You must reach highly annoying restrictions to be able to vote. First, you must confirm your identity. You do this by phone, if I remember correctly. Second, you have to complete three debates.
When you are ready to vote, click on debates that are in the "voting period." Anything that is not in the voting period will not be eligible for voting. When you get to the debate, you should see a series of choices, ranging from "conduct" to "reliable sources." You must read the debate thoroughly before voting.
You also need to provide an RFD, or "reason for decision." Usually, this can be very simple:

Example: Con had better conduct, as pro insulted con while con refrained from insults. Spelling and grammar was tied, as no apparent mistakes were made throughout the course of the debate. I thought arguments went to pro, as he refuted con's arguments more efficiently, while presenting stronger ones himself. Sources were tied, as a minimal amount were presented.

How do I post my argument?

You post your argument the same way you accept a challenge. In the middle of the top section of the page, there should be a button that says "post your argument." Click on this and start typing!

I'll post the opinions section tomorrow. Have any more questions? Feel free to ask me or anyone else!
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
imabench
Posts: 21,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 12:46:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/24/2014 12:22:55 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I'm not a big shot or anything, I just feel like doing this.

Why exactly?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 4:13:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/24/2014 12:46:10 AM, imabench wrote:
At 1/24/2014 12:22:55 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I'm not a big shot or anything, I just feel like doing this.

Why exactly?

Probably because we have noobs come in almost ever day asking a lot of these questions. Though if they don't read the stickied threads, I would be surprised if the read this one. Either way, the intention behind this was good, and I am greatful.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
dtaylor971
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 8:09:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/24/2014 4:13:15 AM, TUF wrote:
At 1/24/2014 12:46:10 AM, imabench wrote:
At 1/24/2014 12:22:55 AM, dtaylor971 wrote:
I'm not a big shot or anything, I just feel like doing this.

Why exactly?

Probably because we have noobs come in almost ever day asking a lot of these questions. Though if they don't read the stickied threads, I would be surprised if the read this one. Either way, the intention behind this was good, and I am greatful.

Thanks. Meh, still worth it even if no one sees it...
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite