Jump to topic:

How to increase your elo 101.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 8:29:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have had like 20 new members message me over the course of the past month and ask how I gained such a high elo so fast. This is a response to all the people whom have asked it, so I don't have to respond to multiple messages.

[1] Time

This is the most obvious. If you have a lot of free time, pick up debates constantly. Take as many as you can balance, and spend the appropriate time on each.

[2] Only take topics you are familiar or knowledgeable about.

This is the next one, but it speaks for itself. You most likely will not win a debate if you are not knowledgeable about it. A majority of the people I see playing devils advocate often lose or even end up conceding in most of the debates

[3] Exploit Errors.

This is how I capitalized in a majority of my debates. If you see the adversary make an error, point it out and run with. Such as a faulty resolution, or something that you can turn in your favor to support the resolution that you yourself are supporting.

[4] Take Topics that Lack Bias

A majority of the votes on this site are covered with bias. People throwing up BS rfds because they want the person to win whom was supporting their view. To avoid this take debates that stray entirely from topics like this. Some topics include Religion(not so much as the others), abortion, and even a lot of the issues dealing with government spending in regards to demo vs republican. There is a big majority pull for active republicans on this sight from what I notice.

[5] When you see an error such as a fallacy or non sequitur bite down on it and don't let go. Typical fallacies include

[a] Sammy is a elephant
[b] Sammy is green
[c] Therefore all elephants are green

you see this line of though pep up in a lot of religious debates. If you see someone commit a fallacy(error in logic), or say something totally irrelevant to the resolution they are supporting. Call them out on it and make sure they answer it or concede.

[6] Answering rebuttals

Always give a proper response to the contentions your adversary brings up. Respond directly and make sure it is noticeable. Try to shoot down all their arguments. If you are stuck in a place where you feel they are winning, try to steer the debate in a different direction and hope the voters do not notice you dropped the point. Stick up a diversion of sorts.

[7] Lead the debate

Never be lead but lead. Drive the course of the debate and where you want it to go. Stick to your resolution and how you want to defend it and do not let your adversary take you off course and into his world.

Black Market Tips. I do not condone it, but people can use this to win in some cases.

[1] Take a favorable majority resolution

As I stated before, support a topic that is favored by a majority of the active users. Sad to say you will probably win

[2] Spam the crap out of the debate in the unvoted section or let people know to vote for it

With any luck if you follow step 1, you will win.

[3] Noob Snipe

Pick a newbie and their unfamiliarity with the site and exploit it.

[4] Forfeits

Pick a debate against people whom forfeit alot. Their trends normally continue.

In short to answer the question, I have did a little bit of everything to increase my elo. I have had some very serious debates, and some very easy ones. Depending on you are debating utilize the tools above along with others, and improvise and create your own path to a higher elo.

Regards.

Mikal

[forgive grammatical errors as always, on ipod and it can't spell check and loves auto correct]
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 8:36:20 PM
At 1/24/2014 8:29:41 PM, Mikal wrote:
I have had like 20 new members message me over the course of the past month and ask how I gained such a high elo so fast. This is a response to all the people whom have asked it, so I don't have to respond to multiple messages.

Hmmm....you should change the title to "Mikal's Guide to Winning." It is a bit more catchy and your name is slapped on it.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 8:38:15 PM
At 1/24/2014 8:36:20 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:

Hmmm....you should change the title to "Mikal's Guide to Winning." It is a bit more catchy and your name is slapped on it.

if it would let me edit it XD
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 10:17:23 PM
You wanna know a better way to raise your elo?

Step 1 of 1: Don't suck.

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 10:22:45 PM
But the main thing to remember is that ELO doesn't mean sh*t if the member not intellectually respected by the community.

People aren't impressed when you have noob sniped 30 debates in a row and haven't lost any.
Nolite Timere
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 10:48:01 PM
At 1/24/2014 10:17:23 PM, Zaradi wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Are you saying that everyone other than Roy sucks?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 11:05:01 PM
At 1/24/2014 10:48:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Are you saying that everyone other than Roy sucks?

Yup. You suck. I suck. We all suck.
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 11:13:56 PM

[1] Time

This is the most obvious. If you have a lot of free time, pick up debates constantly. Take as many as you can balance, and spend the appropriate time on each.

This is the next one, but it speaks for itself. You most likely will not win a debate if you are not knowledgeable about it. A majority of the people I see playing devils advocate often lose or even end up conceding in most of the debates

[3] Exploit Errors.

This is how I capitalized in a majority of my debates. If you see the adversary make an error, point it out and run with. Such as a faulty resolution, or something that you can turn in your favor to support the resolution that you yourself are supporting.

A majority of the votes on this site are covered with bias. People throwing up BS rfds because they want the person to win whom was supporting their view. To avoid this take debates that stray entirely from topics like this. Some topics include Religion(not so much as the others), abortion, and even a lot of the issues dealing with government spending in regards to demo vs republican. There is a big majority pull for active republicans on this sight from what I notice.

[5] When you see an error such as a fallacy or non sequitur bite down on it and don't let go. Typical fallacies include

[a] Sammy is a elephant
[b] Sammy is green

you see this line of though pep up in a lot of religious debates. If you see someone commit a fallacy(error in logic), or say something totally irrelevant to the resolution they are supporting. Call them out on it and make sure they answer it or concede.

[6] Answering rebuttals

Always give a proper response to the contentions your adversary brings up. Respond directly and make sure it is noticeable. Try to shoot down all their arguments. If you are stuck in a place where you feel they are winning, try to steer the debate in a different direction and hope the voters do not notice you dropped the point. Stick up a diversion of sorts.

[7] Lead the debate

Never be lead but lead. Drive the course of the debate and where you want it to go. Stick to your resolution and how you want to defend it and do not let your adversary take you off course and into his world.

Black Market Tips. I do not condone it, but people can use this to win in some cases.

As I stated before, support a topic that is favored by a majority of the active users. Sad to say you will probably win

[2] Spam the crap out of the debate in the unvoted section or let people know to vote for it

[3] Noob Snipe

[4] Forfeits

In short to answer the question, I have did a little bit of everything to increase my elo. I have had some very serious debates, and some very easy ones. Depending on you are debating utilize the tools above along with others, and improvise and create your own path to a higher elo.

Regards.

Mikal

[forgive grammatical errors as always, on ipod and it can't spell check and loves auto correct]

I've taught you well ... ;)

With where your at now, I'm even flattered you asked me for advice when you were a rookie! Look at ya! I feel like I should ask you for tips! Good on ya!
Thank you for voting!
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 11:15:30 PM
At 1/24/2014 11:13:56 PM, TheHitchslap wrote:

[1] Time

[3] Exploit Errors.

[a] Sammy is a elephant
[b] Sammy is green

[6] Answering rebuttals

[7] Lead the debate

[3] Noob Snipe

[4] Forfeits

Regards.

Mikal

I've taught you well ... ;)

With where your at now, I'm even flattered you asked me for advice when you were a rookie! Look at ya! I feel like I should ask you for tips! Good on ya!

Sht man this is just a remade version of what you told me lol
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 11:21:47 PM
At 1/24/2014 11:05:01 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Step 1 of 1: Don't wumbo

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Are you saying that everyone other than Roy wumbos?

Yup. You wumbo. I wumbo. We all wumbo.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 11:24:39 PM
At 1/24/2014 11:21:47 PM, imabench wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Bench pls. Stahp.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 11:32:54 PM
At 1/24/2014 11:24:39 PM, Zaradi wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Bench pls. Stahp.

MISSS U BOO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:05:21 AM
At 1/24/2014 11:32:54 PM, Mikal wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Bench pls. Stahp.

MISSS U BOO

Dude you should watch this debate:

It's probably the one time I'll ever be straining to hit the character limit. I'm just going balls to the wall here and I'm still trying to find more ways to use characters.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:11:37 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:05:21 AM, Zaradi wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Bench pls. Stahp.

MISSS U BOO

It's probably the one time I'll ever be straining to hit the character limit. I'm just going balls to the wall here and I'm still trying to find more ways to use characters.

that dude is guna ff every round XD
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:13:25 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:11:37 AM, Mikal wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Bench pls. Stahp.

MISSS U BOO

I know. Which is why I'm probably just gonna stop where I'm at right now (7k out of the max 10k). It'll still be a curb stomp though.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:14:50 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:13:25 AM, Zaradi wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Bench pls. Stahp.

MISSS U BOO

I know. Which is why I'm probably just gonna stop where I'm at right now (7k out of the max 10k). It'll still be a curb stomp though.

ya XD. It would have been a good debate though, at least the topic
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:16:14 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:14:50 AM, Mikal wrote:
At 1/25/2014 12:13:25 AM, Zaradi wrote:

BOOM! Instant 7k elo.

Bench pls. Stahp.

MISSS U BOO

ya XD. It would have been a good debate though, at least the topic

It's the LD topic for Jan/Feb.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:39:18 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:16:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Go look at what I've done. I feel so bad xD

dear god dude XD
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:41:38 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:39:18 AM, Mikal wrote:

dear god dude XD

The poor guy is like "Yeah! Debate dot org! I can start learning to be a better debater here! I'll just start out with a few arguments and.....wtf."
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:43:18 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:41:38 AM, Zaradi wrote:

dear god dude XD

The poor guy is like "Yeah! Debate dot org! I can start learning to be a better debater here! I'll just start out with a few arguments and.....wtf."

Holy sh!t... Give that poor guy a break XD

I can't say I don't do that though.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 12:43:28 AM

dear god dude XD

LMAO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 1:15:07 AM
At 1/25/2014 12:43:28 AM, Mikal wrote:

dear god dude XD

LMAO

Damm I realized I made the stupidest typo just now."We need to expand our sights and consider the solution if we"re to find any solution at all"

Herp derp.