Freedomaniac's account was closed.

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:11:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Old news.

Freedomaniac was banned, probably because he shares an IP with his brother, who had a separate account. The multi-account scans probably thought Freedomaniac was multi-accounting, and kicked him off the site.

Freedomaniac has tried e-mailing Phil many times, but Phil didn't seem to respond. I suggested he just create a temporary limbo account. He hasn't. Now we wait for his return.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:14:10 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:12:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:
PoeJoe:
Can you link me to another thread?

Heh, heh. My bad. I thought Freedomaniac was Charlie Danger for a second.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:16:25 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:14:10 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:12:52 PM, wjmelements wrote:
PoeJoe:
Can you link me to another thread?

Heh, heh. My bad. I thought Freedomaniac was Charlie Danger for a second.

Oh. I remember that. I'm glad his younger brother is gone, but I wish Charlie were back.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:46:32 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:39:45 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
This is retarded. Hey I know lets ban everyone who is a productive member and enthusiastic about this site.

Haha! I thought you said wanted to ban me in that other thread?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:52:14 PM
This is retarded. Hey I know lets ban everyone who is a productive member and enthusiastic about this site.

I don't really care if he was banned or not. It sounds harsh, but I don't think he was too interesting of a fellow. Just because he created a lot of topics and felt the need to talk about himself and his blog a lot doesn't mean he's "productive" to the site lol. That said, yeah, he was an alright guy and I hope he gets his account back if it was truly a mistake banning. Good luck, Freedomaniac!
President of DDO
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:52:32 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:46:32 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Haha! Those reasons aren't because you're enthusiastic and productive.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:54:07 PM
Also, I know I've mentioned this before but mine and Vi's roommate wants to join DDO though I've told her to hold off on it because I didn't want Phil to ban Vi and I. Since both Freedomaniac and Charlie Danger can't seem to get a hold of Phil to let him know about this, should I just tell her to take her chances and go for it? Hmm. I'm hoping PoeJoe can give me some tips on how to get Phil's attention :p What's his primary contact e-mail or whatever? And why haven't others been able to get a hold of him? PoeJoe - get to work!
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:54:19 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:52:32 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:46:32 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Haha! Those reasons aren't because you're enthusiastic and productive.

Oh? Now I'm interested. Why should I be banned?
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:54:25 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:52:14 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I don't really care if he was banned or not. It sounds harsh, but I don't think he was too interesting of a fellow.

I don't think anyone would be described as interesting when they first joined this site.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 8:56:36 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:54:25 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:52:14 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I don't really care if he was banned or not. It sounds harsh, but I don't think he was too interesting of a fellow.

I don't think anyone would be described as interesting when they first joined this site.

True. I was speaking more or less of his obsession with being a Libertarian, which is really the norm on this site and not as revolutionary or profound as he was probably hoping.
President of DDO
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:00:20 PM
At 1/15/2010 8:56:36 PM, theLwerd wrote:
True. I was speaking more or less of his obsession with being a Libertarian, which is really the norm on this site and not as revolutionary or profound as he was probably hoping.

Ahh there are a lot of people on this site who are excited with their beliefs and endlessly talk about it. But hey I believe no one should be banned unless they spam the site. I'd hardly call being overly excited about your blog spamming. I think everything else (including cursing and insulting) should be allowed.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:03:00 PM
At 1/15/2010 9:00:56 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:54:19 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Hypocrisy.

Also for lacking a sense of humor.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:08:52 PM
At 1/15/2010 9:00:56 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/15/2010 8:54:19 PM, PoeJoe wrote:

Hypocrisy.

How am I a hypocrite, might I ask?
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:16:18 PM
At 1/15/2010 9:08:52 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
My opinion? I never liked Panda, personally.
His often faulty English capabilities capitalized my disdain for him.

You heard me correct, Ladies and Gentlemen, DDO may have a Slut amongst us. The suspect at hand is Urania, who joined DDO 3 months ago.

Like I've said, a fan site is meant to be fun--to positively support a community. Personal jabs don't tend to do support a community.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:19:12 PM
My bet is that he was secretly lovebite.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:25:10 PM
At 1/15/2010 9:16:18 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/15/2010 9:08:52 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
My opinion? I never liked Panda, personally.
His often faulty English capabilities capitalized my disdain for him.

You heard me correct, Ladies and Gentlemen, DDO may have a Slut amongst us. The suspect at hand is Urania, who joined DDO 3 months ago.

Like I've said, a fan site is meant to be fun--to positively support a community. Personal jabs don't tend to do support a community.

Well, the first one was supporting Phil's choice to ban Panda, which is, by extension, what the fan site should support. Not to mention, the majority of the community, at the time, agreed that Panda deserved to be punished in some form or another for maliciously creating a second account to attack another user. That said, I regret having written that, and I understand now that it was wrong for me to write that.

As for the second quote, I didn't write that at all. Actually, this ties in with the first quote, because it was Panda who wrote it. Not to mention, I put up a disclaimer at the top of the article saying, "All opinions and views expressed in this article are solely those of its author, and do not necessarily show, represent, or otherwise reflect the views of Debate Fans, Webcorp, Webcorp's subsidiaries, or any of Debate Fans or Webcorp's affiliates."

But at the very least I see where you're coming from, although I hardly see how hypocrisy warrants a ban.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 9:48:43 PM
At 1/15/2010 9:25:10 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Well, the first one was supporting Phil's choice to ban Panda, which is, by extension, what the fan site should support. Not to mention, the majority of the community, at the time, agreed that Panda deserved to be punished in some form or another for maliciously creating a second account to attack another user. That said, I regret having written that, and I understand now that it was wrong for me to write that.

--->Advocates that a fan site must always support the moderator (Phil)
Contradiction:
"Gossip: Phil Can't Code?"
"After some deep thought, I recognized something — a pattern, and then a disruption. The pattern? Phil has a tendency toward making websites that do not require much effort on his part after the release. DontVote, NewCars, DORK, and now this — all these websites do not require Phil to do much moderation or modification after releasing them. On WebCorp's website for example, Phil writes of NewCars, "Launched on January 1st, 2007, NewCars.org is a very profitable automotive website. . . . Each year the site has annual revenues ranging between $400k and $500k, 2.5M unique users, 6.5M page views, and has a 6 Google Page Rank. The site is 99% automated, and requires fewer than 20-minutes per day to operate."

So that's the pattern. But what is the disruption I spoke of? Debate[dot]org. To reach its fullest prime, DDO requires hours of attention per day, and that is why, I believe, DDO will never, ever get the attention it deserves.

If DDO gets sold, I am happy, because I am sick and tired of this redundant bullsh*t."

As for the second quote, I didn't write that at all. Actually, this ties in with the first quote, because it was Panda who wrote it. Not to mention, I put up a disclaimer at the top of the article saying, "All opinions and views expressed in this article are solely those of its author, and do not necessarily show, represent, or otherwise reflect the views of Debate Fans, Webcorp, Webcorp's subsidiaries, or any of Debate Fans or Webcorp's affiliates."

It doesn't matter, a similar disclaimer exists on my fans site. What panda wrote was a "personal jab" yet you allowed it to exist on the fans site.

But at the very least I see where you're coming from, although I hardly see how hypocrisy warrants a ban.

I can't stand hypocrisy especially when it is strung together with criticism about something that many members have worked a long time and put many hours into for the benefit of this whole site.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 10:19:44 PM
At 1/15/2010 9:48:43 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
[stuff]

Haha! You have me beat.

I will say, though, that those two articles you source are clearly labeled "Gossip" and "Not representative of anything but the author." For the Gossip article, particularly, it was meant to hyper-sensationalize pseudo-research, in an effort to make fun of myself and people take websites a little too seriously. I don't see as much labeling on DDOFans.

Also, I don't think a fansite should always side with its subject (and in our case its subject and its creator). I'm only saying it's a strong indicator. When you combine that with what the community generally believed back then, that's what you get.

I also want to note that it was a different time back then. Back then, I even supported your antics, askbob. I wrote many articles praising your efforts in trying to stop Josh. People, including myself and you, were getting vote-bombed left and right, to a point of absurdity. Perhaps back then, negativity was more warranted. In particular, the second article was written just after the humps of calamity. If I remember correctly, in the forums (maybe it was even you), someone noted how, without a common goal to fight against, the website was getting boring. Without Josh, we needed something to hyper-sensationalize.

But even with all that said, I do regret writing those few articles that were perhaps against the community. I know now that they were wrong, just as I know some of the stuff on DDOFans is wrong--and DDOFans is much more malicious much more often than Debate Fans ever was.

I've said this before. I want to drop this argument. Yes, I do believe DDOFans is too negative. You've made me realize that perhaps Debate Fans was also perhaps too negative. But do note that it has been you the last couple of times who has broached the issue. For the last couple of times, I've remained completely silent until you make a minor attack on me, after which I'm obligated to respond.

The bottom line is: keep the fansite the way you want it to be. I don't like it. But ultimately I don't care. Because I don't like the site, I'm simply not going to visit it very often. But do what you will. You're right. You've certainly put many hours into the site, and although I disagree with it--don't get me wrong--I know you love this community. And seeing your love for that community is awesome.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 10:50:29 PM
I don't think your articles were wrong at all so please don't take that as being my point. Your articles were done in good humor and I laughed at the ones I quoted. I also don't think you should regret writing any of those articles. I'm merely saying its generally hypocritical when you degrade my site as being negative when really little that exists on the site is negative or insulting (exempting the demotivational pics which are done in good humor and exist for nearly all users including myself and I-am-a-panda)
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 10:58:48 PM
At 1/15/2010 10:50:29 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
I don't think your articles were wrong at all so please don't take that as being my point. Your articles were done in good humor and I laughed at the ones I quoted. I also don't think you should regret writing any of those articles. I'm merely saying its generally hypocritical when you degrade my site as being negative when really little that exists on the site is negative or insulting (exempting the demotivational pics which are done in good humor and exist for nearly all users including myself and I-am-a-panda)

Even still, I don't see why I should be banned, or worse yet, suffer the wrath of the Bob.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2010 11:03:28 PM
At 1/15/2010 10:58:48 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
Even still, I don't see why I should be banned, or worse yet, suffer the wrath of the Bob.

The wrath/banning threat has been revoked.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 5:21:43 PM
At 1/16/2010 1:07:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Picka-boo!!

Why was your account closed?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light