Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

DDO Ultimate Championship Tournament

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 4:53:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
INTRO

This post is just to gauge interest in the idea I will present. If there is sufficient interest, I will go ahead an recruit for and organize it.

MY IDEA

I recall that, some time ago, Mikal tried to create a "Best of the Best" tournament here on DDO. I would like to do something similar, but without all the provisions regarding topic selections that Mikal had in place. While, as an IRL, I liked the idea of randomly assigning topics and sides, I think it would deter some great debaters on the site from participating.

The minimum ELO for this tournament would be 3,700 at the time you signed up. Each round would be power ranked, meaning the highest ELO would face the lowest ELO. Ideally, there would be 16 participants, but I could run it with 8 or 32. Official tournament voters would need an ELO of 3,001 or higher--they would be preselected.

It could be themed or un-themed, but I would prefer no joke or troll debates. All other rules would be determined later, depending on interest level. I would approach TUF and see if I could get him to agree to post the tournament results under the DDO tournament sticky--no guarantees here though, of course.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

Please post a comment...I need to know if there are people who would want to do this before I would put effort into drafting it up.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:10:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am interested in this idea, and will likely sign up myself. I also endorse the results of these going in the stickied threads, as long as airmax is okay with it, though I can't see why he would have a problem with it. Are you planning on waiting until current tournaments end to start this, or when do you have in mind?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:14:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/2/2014 5:10:40 PM, TUF wrote:
I am interested in this idea, and will likely sign up myself. I also endorse the results of these going in the stickied threads, as long as airmax is okay with it, though I can't see why he would have a problem with it. Are you planning on waiting until current tournaments end to start this, or when do you have in mind?

It really all depends--if people would like to delay until existing tournaments conclude, I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with starting earlier.

I guess, I'm exploring all that type of logistical stuff here.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
NightofTheLivingCats
Posts: 2,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:16:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/2/2014 4:53:03 PM, bsh1 wrote:
INTRO

This post is just to gauge interest in the idea I will present. If there is sufficient interest, I will go ahead an recruit for and organize it.

MY IDEA

I recall that, some time ago, Mikal tried to create a "Best of the Best" tournament here on DDO. I would like to do something similar, but without all the provisions regarding topic selections that Mikal had in place. While, as an IRL, I liked the idea of randomly assigning topics and sides, I think it would deter some great debaters on the site from participating.

The minimum ELO for this tournament would be 3,700 at the time you signed up. Each round would be power ranked, meaning the highest ELO would face the lowest ELO. Ideally, there would be 16 participants, but I could run it with 8 or 32. Official tournament voters would need an ELO of 3,001 or higher--they would be preselected.

It could be themed or un-themed, but I would prefer no joke or troll debates. All other rules would be determined later, depending on interest level. I would approach TUF and see if I could get him to agree to post the tournament results under the DDO tournament sticky--no guarantees here though, of course.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

Please post a comment...I need to know if there are people who would want to do this before I would put effort into drafting it up.

...I have enough street cred.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 8:47:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Gonna give this a bump...hopefully there is some interest.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Romanii
Posts: 4,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 10:28:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2014 8:47:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Gonna give this a bump...hopefully there is some interest.

I'm interested, but my elo is only high enough to vote >.<
TUF
Posts: 21,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 5:52:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/3/2014 8:47:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Gonna give this a bump...hopefully there is some interest.

You have selected a very small portion of the website. Might have more luck PMing people with elos that meet your standards.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
lannan13
Posts: 23,111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:44:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Damn, I would love to compete in this but my ELO is too low.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 6:22:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I would be interesting in participating.

I don't know why you've gotten such little interest. I did a 99th percentile tournament debate once, which excludes more people from joining than this one, and I didn't have too much trouble. Maybe it's the name. If it's simply the 3,700 and up tourney, everyone knows whether they're good enough for it or not, but "ultimate champion" might deter some as they don't think they're good enough for that title even if their Elo is high enough.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 6:29:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 6:22:22 PM, phantom wrote:
I would be interesting in participating.

I don't know why you've gotten such little interest. I did a 99th percentile tournament debate once, which excludes more people from joining than this one, and I didn't have too much trouble. Maybe it's the name. If it's simply the 3,700 and up tourney, everyone knows whether they're good enough for it or not, but "ultimate champion" might deter some as they don't think they're good enough for that title even if their Elo is high enough.

Could you help advertise for it? I sent out a PM to some people, but got zilch back. I think this'd be very cool to do.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 7:05:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 6:29:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/9/2014 6:22:22 PM, phantom wrote:
I would be interesting in participating.

I don't know why you've gotten such little interest. I did a 99th percentile tournament debate once, which excludes more people from joining than this one, and I didn't have too much trouble. Maybe it's the name. If it's simply the 3,700 and up tourney, everyone knows whether they're good enough for it or not, but "ultimate champion" might deter some as they don't think they're good enough for that title even if their Elo is high enough.

Could you help advertise for it? I sent out a PM to some people, but got zilch back. I think this'd be very cool to do.

I don't know if I'll have better luck, but alright.

I agree, it has great potential.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 7:10:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 7:05:10 PM, phantom wrote:
At 2/9/2014 6:29:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/9/2014 6:22:22 PM, phantom wrote:
I would be interesting in participating.

I don't know why you've gotten such little interest. I did a 99th percentile tournament debate once, which excludes more people from joining than this one, and I didn't have too much trouble. Maybe it's the name. If it's simply the 3,700 and up tourney, everyone knows whether they're good enough for it or not, but "ultimate champion" might deter some as they don't think they're good enough for that title even if their Elo is high enough.

Could you help advertise for it? I sent out a PM to some people, but got zilch back. I think this'd be very cool to do.

I don't know if I'll have better luck, but alright.

I agree, it has great potential.

Thanks!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 7:11:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/6/2014 7:44:10 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Damn, I would love to compete in this but my ELO is too low.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 7:40:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm in. My ELO is high enough, despite not being an accurate reflection of my skill level. So sign me up.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 1:29:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Its interesting to me.

I think you will have to PM all the 3700+ debaters to have a prayer of getting even 8. The debate world and the forum world don't have as much overlap as one might think.