Jump to topic:

What is a restraining order?

theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:28:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've heard several people mention they've been given restraining orders by DDO; what are those?
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:40:47 PM
At 2/2/2014 5:28:41 PM, theta_pinch wrote:
I've heard several people mention they've been given restraining orders by DDO; what are those?

I think it's where airmax tells you to stop talking to and about a person or he'll f*ck you up.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:45:36 PM

It's something I enforce between two members who regularly have a hard time getting along. Most of the time it's a voluntary thing after the members have decided that it's the best option and they request it. Some of the time I enforce it involuntarily, forcing the members to abide by it because other options haven't worked. Either way, it's almost always done when other options have failed, and the two members have proven to be unable to get along.

Here is the text of the formal restraining order:

"You agree not to engage the other person in any way explicitly or implicitly through 1.) forum threads, 2.) debates, 3.) profile comments, 4.) PMs, 5.) Opinions, or 6.) Polls. You also agree not to talk about the other person publicly either implicitly or explicitly. Any violation of this agreement will lead to an immediate temporary closing of the offenders account for no greater than 3 days for the first offense, increasing to a week for the second, and by a week for any successive violation, to a maximum of one month and potentially a permanent ban if it persists beyond this. The interpretation of a violation of this agreement will be entirely at the discretion of the site moderator (Airmax1227) and not up to appeal by either party."
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:46:03 PM
At 2/2/2014 5:40:47 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

I think it's where airmax tells you to stop talking to and about a person or he'll f*ck you up.

haha that pretty much sums it up
Debate.org Moderator
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 5:59:04 PM

Airmax or another mod can more fully explain, so take this with a grain of salt (I've never had one):

It's when 2 members have shown they cannot get along. One or both will appeal to a mod (though I suppose someone else could point it out to them). The mods will contact both parties and tell them not to directly communicate with each other, and in general not to talk about them/to them in the forums.

Violations are dependent on the situation and the conversations they've had with the mods, and consequences for violation can include banning/tempbanning.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 6:00:08 PM
At 2/2/2014 5:45:36 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's something I enforce between two members who regularly have a hard time getting along. Most of the time it's a voluntary thing after the members have decided that it's the best option and they request it. Some of the time I enforce it involuntarily, forcing the members to abide by it because other options haven't worked. Either way, it's almost always done when other options have failed, and the two members have proven to be unable to get along.

"You agree not to engage the other person in any way explicitly or implicitly through 1.) forum threads, 2.) debates, 3.) profile comments, 4.) PMs, 5.) Opinions, or 6.) Polls. You also agree not to talk about the other person publicly either implicitly or explicitly. Any violation of this agreement will lead to an immediate temporary closing of the offenders account for no greater than 3 days for the first offense, increasing to a week for the second, and by a week for any successive violation, to a maximum of one month and potentially a permanent ban if it persists beyond this. The interpretation of a violation of this agreement will be entirely at the discretion of the site moderator (Airmax1227) and not up to appeal by either party."

This is what I get for STARTING a reply, then getting distracted by my medic CE online class, and coming back ten minutes later and finishing without going back to see if there's more replies.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 6:02:23 PM
At 2/2/2014 6:00:08 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/2/2014 5:45:36 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

This is what I get for STARTING a reply, then getting distracted by my medic CE online class, and coming back ten minutes later and finishing without going back to see if there's more replies.

it happens... You explained it pretty well though.
Debate.org Moderator
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2014 11:45:03 AM
At 2/2/2014 5:46:03 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 2/2/2014 5:40:47 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

haha that pretty much sums it up

Here is an artist interpretation of the situation described above.
http://img.hsmagazine.net...
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)