Jump to topic:

Project "DDOfans2.0" **Volunteers needed**

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:38:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hey everyone! So I don"t how many of you were around a few years ago when DDOfans was created, but I was thinking about bringing the website back, and am seeking your help!

Some of you may not know what DDOfans was, so I will give you a brief update. DDOfans was a website started by PoeJoe and some other inspired Debate.org members about 4 years ago. It had some pretty cool features like a chat system, and a daily updated blog; etc.

I want to bring this idea back, but make some new additions. This is project will be a resource for debaters who want to socialize easier, and help out in ways they may not be able to around DDO.

Here are my current plans for the site, though I am always accepting more ideas to implement on the website.

1. Bring back the chat system. Many members have been asking for a chat box to better socialize with their friends on Debate.org. Until Juggle gets something like this implemented, this tool can be utilized by members to chat and hang out quickly and efficiently.

2. News updates. I will continue posting my news updates to DDO, but if they ever get drowned in the forums, you can check the website to see what is new around DDO from the president"s mouth.

3. Bring back ye ol' DDO Blog. Members used to love adding their own contributions and updates to certain events going on around the site.

4. Testing Updates. This site would also be a host for testing features and updates for suggestion to Juggle. We could implement some features on this site, and try them out. If the ideas get popularity, Juggle will most likely be interested in looking at them as well.

5. TV shows. I would love to create a sub section for the weekly stupid and any other DDO related TV shows.

6. A page for debates in need of votes.

7. A page for weekly member spotlights, and a more official place for the HOF.

8. A page for weekly debate spotlights.

9. Potentially a better mafia set up. (prioritized last)

How many people would be willing/interested in helping out with this?

I would help from the community in generating contact.

Roles that would need to be filled:

1. 1 developer. This position would require someone with coding skill, and a desire to create. This position isn"t necessary, but may make the process a lot faster.

2. At least 5-8 active bloggers (seems un-realistic, but I am shooting for the stars)

3. 2-3 moderators to help manage trolls remove spammers, etc. Basically I would need some people to slam the ban-hammers when needed.

4. About 10 Beta testers for design functions for Juggle.

5. 1-3 designers. This would need to be people who feel like they have a sense of fashion, to make suggestions on how the website should look, with colors, images, designs, layouts, etc. I will put all the code together for each page in a way that best resembles the comments of the designers. Many people don't like the design for this website; I would like to work to make this website have a design that more people can get along with.

6. About 5 active "Content getter's". These members would assist in finding debates in need of votes, putting together weekly member spotlights, and fetching the newest great debates to feature. These members would be asked to contribute in maybe making short articles about each of these categories; IE why the spotlight member or debate was chosen.

7. Unlimited "other" volunteers. These members would stand by to potentially help in a less involved way, based on lack of time or whatever reason. These members can assist by making small contributions to different areas, offering ideas and feedback.

These are not hard numbers that need to be filled to get this up and running, and I won"t be posting a limited # of sign ups. If you would like to help out in an area, simply state your desire to do so, and you will be included in the appropriate message for discussion and planning. You can feel free to volunteer in any group, this will remain open indefinitely. Roles like moderators will only be handed probably a few actual moderator abilities, but other individuals interested in this position, would be placed in the discussion message on how to handle certain incidents, offer advice, etc. You can also opt to do multiple positions if you feel you have the time and availability to do so.

Most of these jobs won"t start until the website is up and running. For now, the only two positions that would be put to work would be the designers, and "others" to help with ideas. I will work with the designers until we can unanimously agree on a look for the website, before I start putting the pieces and functionality together. I won"t place an estimate on how long this project might take, because you never know when things will come up for some people and it also depends on if I get another developer to assist. But I would like to get this up and running as soon as possible. This website will be ran and managed entirely by the community. The domain name probably won"t be "DDOfans". I will let you know about that, however closer to the time of implementation.

For now, if you would like to contribute, this site is going to be all about and for the community, so if you want to help, let's customize it to your needs!

Thanks!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 9:22:45 AM
Throw me on the list of a potential mod, blogger, or beta tester.

But I feel this question needs to be asked. Why not, instead of making a new site for this, just incorporate these changes to DDO?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 9:29:17 AM
I can volunteer for anything non-technical.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 9:42:33 AM
At 2/5/2014 9:22:45 AM, Zaradi wrote:

But I feel this question needs to be asked. Why not, instead of making a new site for this, just incorporate these changes to DDO?

Figured this would be asked. I stated something about this in my last news update, but to re-explain; Juggle primarily is interested in content that will make them money. With their limited availability and resources to put effort into the site as it is, the updates they do implement are going to be centered around garnering traffic to the site. They do want to add things to the site that members want, but they need to see these things as a benefitting priority first. I am working on trying to sell them on certain updates that members have been asking for, but I putting all of our eggs into that basket in risque.

So while I am selling them on all of that, I am setting this up as a plan B.

1. This should act as a substitute for some of these features until we can get them implemented here. You may say "well we already have edb8.com with all of this". Yes this is true. The site is great, but I think there are too many members attached to this community to just up and leave. Also members have grown attached to their already hard earned ELO's and records, and moving to a new site entirely seems like an obstacle. Because this is for Debate.org itself, I am hoping that this will get more attention and support behind it as we are basically adding to something, rather than re-creating it.

2. Right now, the lack of interest on edb8.com's team debates and other features has gotten Juggle into the mindset of: "See, look, they aren't working on Edb8.com, why would they work here?" (not an actual qoute).

Whiel this standpoint is understandable, it also dis-regaurds the point above, as well as many other factors. Edb8.com is still pretty new. When Debate.com started first, it too had minimal traffic. It slowly but surely gained more and more members, and searchable content. Edb8.com is still growing, and I wouldn't be surprised if it got to a point like this one day too. There are also probably plenty of other factors that go into the lack of traffic that are being dis-regarded. Point is, this is supposed to be created entirely for, and by the members as DDOfans was. That site seemed to be pretty susccesful when it was in it's prime, but I think we can make it better this time around because the community is so much larger than it was 4 years ago. If I can get enough traffic and interest for certain features through this site, Juggle may be more open to seeing the development oppertunity, in which case I would offer the code to them free each time to add to their databases.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 9:43:30 AM
At 2/5/2014 8:54:19 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
I volunteer.

For the record, I TOTALLY brought this to yer mind.

Lol I was actually thinking about this for a few months. But you bringing it up just perked my ears lol.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 9:46:57 AM
At 2/5/2014 9:42:33 AM, TUF wrote:
At 2/5/2014 9:22:45 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Figured this would be asked. I stated something about this in my last news update, but to re-explain; Juggle primarily is interested in content that will make them money. With their limited availability and resources to put effort into the site as it is, the updates they do implement are going to be centered around garnering traffic to the site. They do want to add things to the site that members want, but they need to see these things as a benefitting priority first. I am working on trying to sell them on certain updates that members have been asking for, but putting all of our eggs into that basket is risque.

So while I am selling them on all of that, I am setting this up as a plan B.

1. This should act as a substitute for some of these features until we can get them implemented here. You may say "well we already have edb8.com with all of this". Yes this is true. The site is great, but I think there are too many members attached to this community to just up and leave. Also members have grown attached to their already hard earned ELO's and records, and moving to a new site entirely seems like an obstacle. Because this is for Debate.org itself, I am hoping that this will get more attention and support behind it as we are basically adding to something, rather than re-creating it.

2. Right now, the lack of interest on edb8.com's team debates and other features has gotten Juggle into the mindset of: "See, look, they aren't working on Edb8.com, why would they work here?" (not an actual qoute).

While this standpoint is understandable, it also dis-regaurds the point above, as well as many other factors. Edb8.com is still pretty new. When Debate.com started first, it too had minimal traffic. It slowly but surely gained more and more members, and searchable content. Edb8.com is still growing, and I wouldn't be surprised if it got to a point like this one day too. There are also probably plenty of other factors that go into the lack of traffic that are being dis-regarded. Point is, this is supposed to be created entirely for, and by the members just as DDOfans was. That site seemed to be pretty susccesful when it was in it's prime, but I think we can make it better this time around because the community is so much larger than it was 4 years ago. If I can get enough traffic and interest for certain features through this site, Juggle may be more open to seeing the development oppertunity, in which case I would offer the code to them free each time to add to their databases.

fix'ed
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 10:29:28 AM
I'll be back later on tonight. I am hoping to get some designers.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 10:32:03 AM
At 2/5/2014 10:30:06 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
At 2/5/2014 10:29:28 AM, TUF wrote:
I'll be back later on tonight. I am hoping to get some designers.

Do you need good programming skills?

Not at all. Just someone who thinks creatively enough to picture how they would like a good website to look. I could easily come up with my own design, but I would like the community to be able to weigh in on this, as their has been a lot of complaints about the current DDO design.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:33:34 AM
At 2/5/2014 10:57:10 AM, YYW wrote:
I really, really like the chat idea.

That was my favorite part of the old DDOfans, by far.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:34:49 AM
Just register "ddofans.org". I'll get the databases ready while I wait for more volunteers :)
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:08:36 PM
At 2/5/2014 12:22:20 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Bring it to DDO... don't bring DDO to a chat site.

That's my vote.

http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:13:37 PM

That's my vote.

Was on that line of reasoning before. A beta site to test out how people will view new features specific to DDO makes sense from a profit view point though. Think of it as DDO just on a beta server where new updates get tested before we run them through actual DDO for everyone. It makes sense.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:16:52 PM
This should he interesting. Never heard of it before. And I might say I know a few that would be good moderators on ban-hammering. (Not me though lol). And blogging sounds fun!! The chat, uhhhh ... I guess I can try to see how that it... I try to stay away from those though... But guess well sees ;) and designer, I may have an idea who might be good to do this too... I'll try and get those I have in mind to have a look here though :)

Thanks for this update though TUF!! It's nice to see new things implemented around here!!
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:36:27 PM
At 2/5/2014 1:16:52 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
This should he interesting. Never heard of it before. And I might say I know a few that would be good moderators on ban-hammering. (Not me though lol). And blogging sounds fun!! The chat, uhhhh ... I guess I can try to see how that it... I try to stay away from those though... But guess well sees ;) and designer, I may have an idea who might be good to do this too... I'll try and get those I have in mind to have a look here though :)

Thanks for this update though TUF!! It's nice to see new things implemented around here!!

Hopefully! And thanks for the help.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:38:58 PM
At 2/5/2014 1:36:27 PM, TUF wrote:
At 2/5/2014 1:16:52 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:

Hopefully! And thanks for the help.

Oh your welcome! :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:42:11 PM
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 2:07:59 PM
At 2/5/2014 1:13:37 PM, Zaradi wrote:

That's my vote.

Was on that line of reasoning before. A beta site to test out how people will view new features specific to DDO makes sense from a profit view point though. Think of it as DDO just on a beta server where new updates get tested before we run them through actual DDO for everyone. It makes sense.

Ah got it. I suppose so.