Jump to topic:

Why does America celebrate it's "freedom"

Lampostintheashes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:51:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Please don't kill me for this, I am just curious. I am British, and I have never travelled to America, but I am unsure of why America celebrates it's "freedom" as really, it doesn't have any. It has no free health care, everything is really expensive, and there are hardly any rights ((looking at gay rights too)). I just don't understand. I do see that is is independance from Britain and other countries, but I don't see why it is free in any way?? If anything, it is a very chained country. Sorry if this upsets anyone.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:56:07 PM
At 2/5/2014 1:51:24 PM, Lampostintheashes wrote:
Please don't kill me for this, I am just curious. I am British, and I have never travelled to America, but I am unsure of why America celebrates it's "freedom" as really, it doesn't have any. It has no free health care, everything is really expensive, and there are hardly any rights ((looking at gay rights too)). I just don't understand. I do see that is is independance from Britain and other countries, but I don't see why it is free in any way?? If anything, it is a very chained country. Sorry if this upsets anyone.

Of course we have freedom. You are confusing free stuff with being freedom. Freedom is Independence, and you aren't independent if you need to have your stuff paid for by someone else...

We are listed as the 7th freest nation, and I'm fine with that... You can be 'too' free.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Lampostintheashes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 1:58:04 PM
Of course we have freedom. You are confusing free stuff with being freedom. Freedom is Independence, and you aren't independent if you need to have your stuff paid for by someone else...

We are listed as the 7th freest nation, and I'm fine with that... You can be 'too' free.

Aa makes sense. I don't generally understand stuff that happens in America, such as the term "freedom" of a country. It confuses me greatly. Thank you for the reply though. Most people I've tried to ask slashed at my neck for it.
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:38:06 PM

Those are free things your referring to as the other poster mentioned. People enjoy the "freedom" in America because they are free enough to choose. Free enough to succeed or fail by choice. Versus in many other countries, choice is defined by those who are superior to you or your peers allegedly. The United States is different because it was founded on negative rights. The government is forced to restrain itself in order to respect the will of individuals as well as the overall citizenry.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:53:52 PM

Americans generally have a very weird idea of what constitutes freedom. If we had a national religion the board of trustees would definitely elect Milton Friedman as Pope.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:54:57 PM
Because we know the difference between "it's" and "its".
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 9:01:27 PM
Americans value freedom as a matter of dogma, embodied in the saying "give me liberty or give me death"; Americans would rather have less to spend with choice then have more to spend without. Americans place utility on individualism and freedom. America is a religious nation and believes in free will and the human right to make choices. America is the land of the free, home of the slaves; the majority always has the freedom over the minority.
0x5f3759df
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:43:05 AM

Let me complie a list
1. US troppled Brittian in 1776 and 1812.
2. US is the world Super Power
3. US is more Democratic than the UK.
4. The US is the only developed country that still has a negative attitude towards Evolution.
5. Right to Bare Arms.
6. Freedom of Speech. You crazies don't have that after banning certain people.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:11:07 AM
At 2/6/2014 7:43:05 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Let me complie a list

The War of 1812 was a draw. The Revolutionary War Britain decided wasn't worth the resources to pursue.

Through military force

Debatable

4. The US is the only developed country that still has a negative attitude towards Evolution.

Um...why is this here?

5. Right to Bare Arms.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:15:35 AM

America holds this (insane) idea that every individual has absolute mastery over his or her life. Americans attribute everything to choice - you can succeed if you work hard; you fail if you're lazy or idle. They're remarkably talented at ignoring the facts that say otherwise (like how much harder a mother working three jobs to make ends meet works than a billionaire child who gets a job with daddy's business). Americans pride themselves on limiting the government because they believe that gives them freedom. It doesn't matter if America is the most conservative of all Western democracies/republics because America has its beloved freedom.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:18:49 AM
At 2/6/2014 8:11:07 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Let me complie a list

The War of 1812 was a draw. The Revolutionary War Britain decided wasn't worth the resources to pursue.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Through military force

And economics...and Science research.

Debatable

Um...why is this here?

5. Right to Bare Arms.
tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 9:29:36 AM

Free stuff=/=freedom
But I do see your point. There are many liberties that the American people are denied everyday (primarily by the upper class in cahoots with government). The most major source of limiting of freedom, though, is 100% the fault of the American People: our culture. Many Americans are incredibly xenophobic (just see the reaction to the multi-lingual coke commercial that aired during the superbowl). Xenophobia (as I see it) is just the general fear of the unfamiliar. This is what keeps so many of our liberties restricted (and it's not just the conservative christian right that provides this xenophobia, as some people might think). Most liberals are terrified of gun owners, because they do not understand them. Thus our right to gun ownership is restricted. Liberals and conservatives alike have been practically bred to assume that drug legalization needs to nothing but total societal collapse, even though prohibition proves only the opposite. Of course, the LGBT are in desperate need of advanced civil right, but the fear the christian right harbors towards this group absolutely prevents them from forwarding their cause.

As far as economic liberties go, many Americans no little to nothing about just how much their freedom is suppressed in this case. Most Americans believe that tax cuts across the board results in higher economic freedom, but that is not the case. Historically, it can be seen that wealth, like mass, tends to attract more wealth via investing and interest. Therefore, the super wealthy have a "snowball" effect, in that without high taxes they just get richer and richer and richer. This suppresses our economic freedom, as low government regulation on our economy puts the majority of citizens at the mercy of large business owners. A prime example of the problem is seen in four aspects of our economy: A) Low minimum wage, B) Low Capital Gains Tax, C) Low Property Tax (in most states), and D) Low inheritance tax.
The problem with low minimum wage is that minimum wage is what determines the base strength of the spending majority. Raising the minimum wage strengthens the lower and middles class, and strengthens the economy as a whole. After all, economists agree that the stronger your middle class, the stronger your economy. If you want to see the full details on how raising the minimum wage improves the lower and middles classes, check out my debates on it.
The Problem with a low capital gains tax and inheritance tax is that wealth begins to stagnate at the top. The largest tax in America is the income tax. The problem with this is that the income tax only affects wage earning people, the people who are working hard for their money. The majority of income to the super wealthy is via capital gains and inheritance. Low taxes on these types of income results in the stagnation of wealth at the top.
The main problem with low property taxes is that in states where property tax is low, sales tax is typically high. The problem with high sales tax is that sales tax is a regressive tax meaning that it actually taxes a higher percent of your income the poorer you are.

Our economic environment holds us back. The American people are just blinded by the advertising of the super-wealthy.
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 11:24:16 AM

Let me complie a list

The War of 1812 was a draw.
US officially won more battles
The Revolutionary War Britain decided wasn't worth the resources to pursue.
Brittian had to face France.

Through military force

Debatable

The UK has 4 Houses, only 1 is elected. The rest are from nobles.

Um...why is this here?

US still has better moral values than the UK.

5. Right to Bare Arms.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 11:28:06 AM
At 2/6/2014 8:18:49 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

Let me complie a list

The Battle of New Orleans occurred after the war had already ended.

Through military force

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Debatable

Um...why is this here?

5. Right to Bare Arms.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 11:29:06 AM
At 2/6/2014 11:28:06 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 2/6/2014 8:18:49 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:

Let me complie a list

The Battle of New Orleans occurred after the war had already ended.

I know that.

Through military force

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Debatable

Um...why is this here?

5. Right to Bare Arms.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 11:36:41 AM
At 2/6/2014 11:24:16 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Let me complie a list

The war was officially a draw. Doesn't matter.

That's why Britain didn't invest more effort in the war.

Through military force

Debatable

The US doesn't directly elect its President. The wealthy filter any and all candidates for the House and the Senate. The poor aren't even represented.

Um...why is this here?

The US is negative evolution...so it has better moral values...please explain how this follows.

5. Right to Bare Arms.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 11:39:38 AM
At 2/6/2014 11:36:41 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Let me complie a list

Through military force

Debatable

The US doesn't directly elect its President. The wealthy filter any and all candidates for the House and the Senate. The poor aren't even represented.

False, the US has primaries where we the people elected who each party's canidate is. Secondly the US had the Populist movement which represented the poor and caused the Progressive movement that caused several social changes in America.

Um...why is this here?

The US is negative evolution...so it has better moral values...please explain how this follows.

US is more religous.

5. Right to Bare Arms.

If you want to bring up the poor than why is the UK's poverty rate so high.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 12:08:33 PM
At 2/6/2014 11:39:38 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Let me complie a list

Through military force

Debatable

False, the US has primaries where we the people elected who each party's canidate is. Secondly the US had the Populist movement which represented the poor and caused the Progressive movement that caused several social changes in America.

You know who attends the primaries? The radicals. The Populists were in the late 1800s, and the Progressive movement died after World War I.

Um...why is this here?

US is more religous.

Religion =\= morality
Morality is not objective.
The US fear of evolution restricts it technologically and scientifically.

5. Right to Bare Arms.

For similar reasons to why the income disparity in the US is absurd.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 7:13:51 AM
At 2/6/2014 12:08:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Let me complie a list

Through military force

Debatable

You know who attends the primaries? The radicals. The Populists were in the late 1800s, and the Progressive movement died after World War I.

False the Progressive movement still exists today.

Um...why is this here?

US is more religous.

Religion =\= morality

5. Right to Bare Arms.

The rich gets richer and the poor get poorer. It's just how the world turns. However I don't understand how your country's economy hasn't crashed yet with unemployment over 70%.

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 8:26:24 AM

Solid question. And we certainly weren't free after our separation from Great Britain (cough slaves cough). And we we certainly aren't free now (cough sex slaves cough).
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:07:29 PM
At 2/7/2014 7:13:51 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Let me complie a list

Through military force

Debatable

Progressives still exist today. The movement died back then and in the 1920s, when laws swung back to favour business.

Um...why is this here?

US is more religous.

Religion =\= morality

5. Right to Bare Arms.

The rich gets richer and the poor get poorer. It's just how the world turns. However I don't understand how your country's economy hasn't crashed yet with unemployment over 70%.

Where is this data coming from? Unemployment rate in Britain is about 7.1%.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:12:37 PM

Let me complie a list
5. Right to Bare Arms.

I'm pretty sure number four is not something to be proud of....
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:16:36 PM
At 2/6/2014 8:15:35 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

America holds this (insane) idea that every individual has absolute mastery over his or her life. Americans attribute everything to choice - you can succeed if you work hard; you fail if you're lazy or idle. They're remarkably talented at ignoring the facts that say otherwise (like how much harder a mother working three jobs to make ends meet works than a billionaire child who gets a job with daddy's business). Americans pride themselves on limiting the government because they believe that gives them freedom. It doesn't matter if America is the most conservative of all Western democracies/republics because America has its beloved freedom.

No. Only a few Americans feel that way. The "American" freedom lies in our bill of rights. Freedom of religion, which includes a separation of church and state. Freedom of speech, press, and expression. Right to bear arms. Freedom from unreasonable search, etc.

While other nations around the world have these freedoms as well, we celebrate being the pioneers, the first.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:20:20 PM
"Why does America celebrate it's "freedom" I didn't know it did? All I hear is everyone complaining about how oppression is holding them down. And how there is no opportunity and the American dream is dead.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:27:23 PM
At 2/7/2014 4:12:37 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Let me complie a list
5. Right to Bare Arms.

I'm pretty sure number four is not something to be proud of....

I'm proud of it.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:32:22 PM
At 2/7/2014 4:07:29 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 2/7/2014 7:13:51 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Let me complie a list

Through military force

Debatable

Progressives still exist today. The movement died back then and in the 1920s, when laws swung back to favour business.

Nope, Progresseives still exist with support for Universal health care and that most US immigrants are Progressives.

Um...why is this here?

US is more religous.

Religion =\= morality

5. Right to Bare Arms.

Where is this data coming from? Unemployment rate in Britain is about 7.1%.

From the Telegraph.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:36:21 PM

Let me complie a list

Didn't "troppled" [sic] Britain but no matter since it has nothing to do with freedom.

Nothing to do with freedom.

Debatable.

Which is not only not a point in its favor but again has nothing to do with freedom.

5. Right to Bare Arms.

I really have no idea why the right to own one type of object (over another) is such a deciding factor in overall freedom.

What's wrong with curbing speech? Apparently freedom of speech is so important that we even give it to corporations, thus endangering the "democratic" nature of the country which (as you noted above) is so strong.
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:38:10 PM

Um...why is this here?

How is denying uncontroversial scientific knowledge equate to "better moral values"?
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:40:39 PM
What freedom????... 0_o
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 4:44:25 PM
At 2/7/2014 4:36:21 PM, Noumena wrote:

Let me complie a list

Didn't "troppled" [sic] Britain but no matter since it has nothing to do with freedom.

Nothing to do with freedom.

Debatable.

Which is not only not a point in its favor but again has nothing to do with freedom.

5. Right to Bare Arms.

I really have no idea why the right to own one type of object (over another) is such a deciding factor in overall freedom.

What's wrong with curbing speech? Apparently freedom of speech is so important that we even give it to corporations, thus endangering the "democratic" nature of the country which (as you noted above) is so strong.

I was pointing out how the UK banned the Phelps.