Jump to topic:

DDO and Actual Debate

Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 1:13:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My perception is that more and more of the debates being offered, by an increasing amount of one time debate members are just NFL resolutions. In my opinion I feel this is an underhanded way of sampling cases, gathering cases/arguments, and practicing, the overall effect of which is distortion of this website. While my first experience with this website was to practice cases I soon learned that this practice was frowned upon and that this website held much different intentions. But I could be mistaken, am I the only one who feels this way?
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 1:25:10 PM
At 1/18/2010 1:13:41 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
My perception is that more and more of the debates being offered, by an increasing amount of one time debate members are just NFL resolutions. In my opinion I feel this is an underhanded way of sampling cases, gathering cases/arguments, and practicing, the overall effect of which is distortion of this website. While my first experience with this website was to practice cases I soon learned that this practice was frowned upon and that this website held much different intentions. But I could be mistaken, am I the only one who feels this way?

News to me. I was under the impression that this was a debate website. In terms of the debates, people can do whatever they want provided it's a debate and that the TOS isn't being violated. Here's how I see it: If there are debates you don't like, simply don't join/read them. Problem solved.

Also, if you encounter people who are only show up for one round only to forfeit afterwords, you can refrain from accepting that person's debates and (optionally) alert the community of this person so that they may do the same.

Personally, I fail to see the problem with gathering cases/arguments (provided such people don't intend to forfeit the debate when they've gotten what they came for), practicing and whatnot. Granted, I wouldn't recommend practicing here as there are more dimensions to real life debate.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 1:28:42 PM
I personally don't mind people coming on here to practice and prepare for an actual debate. It only improves them and us, which is good, right? I just don't like seeing 15 debates on the same topic at the same time.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 1:37:26 PM
I personally DO mind people doing this, though obviously there's nothing I can do about it and I realize that it doesn't violate the TOS. In addition to posting the same topics over and over again in the Challenge Section, what upsets me the most is that I feel as if I'm being used to give someone else an edge in their real-life competitions. I'm pretty confident that the people who post these are going to take arguments that myself and other users present and utilize them to their own advantage. In many cases, I feel as if this is an indirect type of plagiarism. Some people specifically PM me on a daily basis asking me to construct their cases or send me challenges so they can use my ideas to beat their opponents. This not only seems like cheating on behalf of their own competitions, but annoys me -- I feel as if it's kind of rude to assume that I have nothing better to do than to help them win something that I won't get any credit for.
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 3:59:51 PM
I don't mind at all. Even when people PM for help with cases. I just see it as another opportunity to subtly propagandize. I use them, they use me, everyone's happy.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 4:35:25 PM
At 1/18/2010 1:37:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I personally DO mind people doing this, though obviously there's nothing I can do about it and I realize that it doesn't violate the TOS. In addition to posting the same topics over and over again in the Challenge Section, what upsets me the most is that I feel as if I'm being used to give someone else an edge in their real-life competitions. I'm pretty confident that the people who post these are going to take arguments that myself and other users present and utilize them to their own advantage. In many cases, I feel as if this is an indirect type of plagiarism. Some people specifically PM me on a daily basis asking me to construct their cases or send me challenges so they can use my ideas to beat their opponents. This not only seems like cheating on behalf of their own competitions, but annoys me -- I feel as if it's kind of rude to assume that I have nothing better to do than to help them win something that I won't get any credit for.

It must be because you're the top debater here. See, that is why I never want fame. The harrassement would never stop!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 4:44:21 PM
At 1/18/2010 3:59:51 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I don't mind at all. Even when people PM for help with cases. I just see it as another opportunity to subtly propagandize. I use them, they use me, everyone's happy.

Good way to look at it, though I guess we have different things that annoy us. You don't like taxes, and I don't like doing other people's work for them... It's almost the same thing :p
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 4:45:26 PM
Almost, if you leave out the whole consent issue. Lol.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.