Jump to topic:

New name for atheism.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:01:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I hate the term atheism, because it claims there is no God. This is even obvious with the root A (without). Would it be proper to call myself a New Atheist? Dealing in odds of probability. God "probably" does not exist. If so I wonder if I can alter Atheism to Novatheism or Nov ' a ' theism.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:08:53 PM
At 2/5/2014 11:01:57 PM, Mikal wrote:
I hate the term atheism, because it claims there is no God. This is even obvious with the root A (without). Would it be proper to call myself a New Atheist? Dealing in odds of probability. God "probably" does not exist. If so I wonder if I can alter Atheism to Novatheism or Nov ' a ' theism.

You can try to get it to catch on among atheists. The key is a good marketing strategy and a huge advertising budget.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:12:36 PM

I always recommended "agnostic" to suggest the position of "I don't know."

How about Dubism?

From latin Dubium (meaning doubt) to be a doubtful belief. So rather than saying God "probably" doesn't exist, you would go with you "doubt" God exists.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:14:24 PM

In general the "New Atheists" movement is pretty tightly entwined with antitheism, so I don't think you'll have luck with it.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:24:38 PM
At 2/5/2014 11:12:36 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

How about Dubism?

From latin Dubium (meaning doubt) to be a doubtful belief. So rather than saying God "probably" doesn't exist, you would go with you "doubt" God exists.

that is more viable
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:25:28 PM

How about Dubism?

duthesim? lol
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:25:28 PM

How about Dubism?

duthesim? lol
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:28:55 PM
At 2/5/2014 11:25:28 PM, Mikal wrote:

How about Dubism?

duthesim? lol

Sounds like someone with a lisp trying to say 'dufism'
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:44:40 PM
At 2/5/2014 11:28:55 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/5/2014 11:25:28 PM, Mikal wrote:

How about Dubism?

duthesim? lol

Sounds like someone with a lisp trying to say 'dufism'

^
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 1:25:05 AM
I was thinking of phonetically it being "do-bee-ism" (as is "dubious") but I think dubism would be pronounced "dub-ism"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 2:28:38 AM

Thats why calling yourself agnostic is easier, and more definitional. People are too busy being stuck on thinking that it is non-commital. Nah, dude, being agnostic can be exactly what was said above.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 3:48:35 AM

Mikal, I would actually call you an "agnostic", but you're of course free to label yourself whatever you think you actually are. In my view you're an "agnostic", but with a strong atheistic slant.

I've also heard of people referring to themselves as "soft atheists" that believe similarly as you do. But I do't want pigeon-hole you either, because there might be differences you want to take account of in the label you choose for yourself.
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 3:56:11 AM

Not true. Atheism does not claim there is no God. It merely claims no believe in God. Big difference.
Abortion Is Generally Morally Reprehensible: http://www.debate.org...

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 4:07:19 AM
At 2/6/2014 3:56:11 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:

Not true. Atheism does not claim there is no God. It merely claims no believe in God. Big difference.

Atheism itself is actually broken up into various sub-categories. Strong atheists believe that there are absolutely no supernatural deities at all. Weak atheists reject that any supernatural deities exist but don't claim that "at least one deity exist" is a false statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Antitheists would be categorized as strong atheist, while Mikal, from what he has expressed in this thread, appears to be a weak atheist.
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 4:16:22 AM
At 2/6/2014 4:07:19 AM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
At 2/6/2014 3:56:11 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:

Atheism itself is actually broken up into various sub-categories. Strong atheists believe that there are absolutely no supernatural deities at all. Weak atheists reject that any supernatural deities exist but don't claim that "at least one deity exist" is a false statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Antitheists would be categorized as strong atheist, while Mikal, from what he has expressed in this thread, appears to be a weak atheist.

Indeed, that is true. They reject the proposition of a supernatural deity, i.e. they do not believe. However, the atheist does not postulate the positive claim: 'God does not exist'.

The instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves - Archibald Alison

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven! - William Wordsworth
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:57:48 AM

Sounds "agnostic" to me.
Fox-McCloud
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:21:05 AM
At 2/6/2014 6:57:48 AM, kbub wrote:

Sounds "agnostic" to me.

How does this sound agnostic? Sounds like weak atheism or, as I prefer, agnostic atheism to me. If your view is: God probably does not exist', then you do not believe in God. This would qualify as the atheist viewpoint. To be agnostic, one has to answer the epistemological question about the existence of God negatively: 'Can it be known?'. These two views are not incompatible, quite the opposite. I myself happen to be an agnostic atheist.

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:22:17 AM
At 2/6/2014 7:21:05 AM, Fox-McCloud wrote:
At 2/6/2014 6:57:48 AM, kbub wrote:

Sounds "agnostic" to me.

How does this sound agnostic? Sounds like weak atheism or, as I prefer, agnostic atheism to me. If your view is: God probably does not exist', then you do not believe in God. This would qualify as the atheist viewpoint. To be agnostic, one has to answer the epistemological question about the existence of God negatively: 'Can it be known?'. These two views are not incompatible, quite the opposite. I myself happen to be an agnostic atheist.

Thanks for the clarification! My mistake.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:31:03 AM

Go for AntiTheism.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 1:04:27 PM
At 2/6/2014 7:31:03 AM, DudeStop wrote:

Go for AntiTheism.

but anti theism is just opposition for no reason in a way. I'm not opposed to all religion either lol
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 1:14:14 PM
At 2/6/2014 1:04:27 PM, Mikal wrote:

Go for AntiTheism.

but anti theism is just opposition for no reason in a way. I'm not opposed to all religion either lol

How about its renamed to 'say-tan-ism', just to scare the hell out of christians?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 1:49:18 PM
At 2/6/2014 1:14:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/6/2014 1:04:27 PM, Mikal wrote:

Go for AntiTheism.

How about its renamed to 'say-tan-ism', just to scare the hell out of christians?

Aren't you a Christian?
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:14:28 PM

Well, I would say two things:

1) Atheism doesn't claim there is no God, although the gnostic atheism does.
2) Novatheism sounds awesome.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:16:51 PM
At 2/7/2014 5:14:28 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

i thought novatheism sounded badass too xD

but tbh, atheism at his heart is saying there is no God. "A" Latin for without ; Theism is also the proponent for God.

So by sheer definition an atheist is defined as without God.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:24:44 PM
At 2/7/2014 5:16:51 PM, Mikal wrote:

but tbh, atheism at his heart is saying there is no God. "A" Latin for without ; Theism is also the proponent for God.

Linguistics time!

By sheer etymology. I think you'll find the definition to be slightly different. ;D
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:25:58 PM
At 2/7/2014 5:24:44 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Linguistics time!

By sheer etymology. I think you'll find the definition to be slightly different. ;D

I mean you could alter the initial interpretation but essentially it is widely held to that.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:27:29 PM
At 2/7/2014 5:25:58 PM, Mikal wrote:

Linguistics time!

I mean you could alter the initial interpretation but essentially it is widely held to that.

A sorrowful and common misunderstanding that led me - in part - to having this debate!

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:27:29 PM

Linguistics time!

A sorrowful and common misunderstanding that led me - in part - to having this debate!

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:29:32 PM
At 2/7/2014 5:27:29 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Linguistics time!

ill bookmark that and read over it when i get the chance. Want to give me a brief rundown on your points?
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 5:31:08 PM
At 2/7/2014 5:29:32 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 2/7/2014 5:27:29 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Linguistics time!

ill bookmark that and read over it when i get the chance. Want to give me a brief rundown on your points?

Essentially, semantics. I state:

[A]gnosticism is to do with the knowledge of claims; [a]theism is to do with the belief in said claims. So, while similar, they are not contradictory and, consequently, not mutually exclusive.