Jump to topic:

The Character Limit

progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 1:36:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think the character limit should be either lifted or eliminated, or there should at least be an option to go without it. It's extremely difficult to debate topics of immense significance and complexity when confined to, say, 10,000 characters.

I understand that some people would opt not to read exceptionally lengthy debates, and thus may not vote. But, if someone is so uninterested in the topic that they would be unwilling to read through an extensive debate, are they actually in a position to evaluate the merits of the arguments both debaters brought forward?

I'd love to get some thoughts on this. Hopefully this can be implemented at some point in the near future.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:31:07 PM
At 2/8/2014 1:36:54 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
I think the character limit should be either lifted or eliminated, or there should at least be an option to go without it. It's extremely difficult to debate topics of immense significance and complexity when confined to, say, 10,000 characters.

Name one subject that people have difficulty diving into when confined to less than 10,000 characters, because what you said sounds like nothing more then a massively unsubstantiated opinion.....

I understand that some people would opt not to read exceptionally lengthy debates, and thus may not vote. But, if someone is so uninterested in the topic that they would be unwilling to read through an extensive debate, are they actually in a position to evaluate the merits of the arguments both debaters brought forward?

Its not a lack of interest though, its a lack of endurance. There have been so many debates about the same topics on here that its hard to actually see someone use NEW arguments in a debate, which means theres little interest for voters to begin with when voting on debates.

I'd love to get some thoughts on this. Hopefully this can be implemented at some point in the near future.

10,000 is big enough, and I kid you not people made the EXACT same complaints about the cap limit before, which used to be set at 8,000 before being upped to 10,000.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
progressivedem22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:45:03 PM
At 2/8/2014 3:31:07 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/8/2014 1:36:54 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:

Name one subject that people have difficulty diving into when confined to less than 10,000 characters, because what you said sounds like nothing more then a massively unsubstantiated opinion.....

With respect, it sounds as though you're applying a one-size-fits-all approach to this topic, as though providing a topic that will always require over 10,000 characters is the only way to prove my case.

It's highly subjective, and in my experience, it has arisen several times. A great example is a tax debate I took part in not too long ago. The subject, obviously, is highly complex because several other ideas that are intricately tied with the tax code: the role of government, the role of markets, academic studies, rational actors, economic history, etc. In fact, almost every single round I found that I was out of characters, but had that I wanted to say, so I had to cut substantial portions out. Admittedly, I've found some interesting ways thereafter to make my points without consuming too many characters--charts, screenshots (particularly for sources), etc.--but it adds an additional variable to consider before even beginning my argument, and greatly hinders the quality of the presentation.

Its not a lack of interest though, its a lack of endurance. There have been so many debates about the same topics on here that its hard to actually see someone use NEW arguments in a debate, which means theres little interest for voters to begin with when voting on debates.

You've been here a lot longer than I have, obviously, so I trust your assessment. Do you not think it's a fair case that, with additional character space, we'd be inspiring ingenuity?

10,000 is big enough, and I kid you not people made the EXACT same complaints about the cap limit before, which used to be set at 8,000 before being upped to 10,000.

I think on this point we'll just have to agree to disagree.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:55:42 PM
It's a server side issue. I am quite surprised the the site can maintain all the content is has now. 8,000 characters is even alot, keeping in mind your multiplying that by thousands of debates.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
MyDinosaurHands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 10:40:30 PM
If the servers could handle it, I wouldn't be opposed to 12,000.
Guess what I used to type this..

Careful! Don't laugh too hard.