Jump to topic:

Posting Arguments

Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 6:30:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have just came across something that may be an issue in the future. In one of my debates, my opponent posted his arguments in a Google Document. At first, I thought this was acceptable. But I realized after the debate was over, that he could purposely go back in and distort the information he originally typed had to suite his wishes. Should Google Documents be allowed when posting debates? I don't think it should be considering it can be edited at anytime.

Here is the debate:
http://www.debate.org...

Here is the document:
https://docs.google.com...
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 9:43:23 AM
I used to use Google documents for doing LD debates on here. Whenever I wrote cases for tournaments in high school, they would almost always go far past the 8k character limit. Testing them on here was a good idea to see what they could potentially run up against in a round, so I could be prepared to respond to whatever came my way. To do that though, i needed my entire case, not a shortened down one that would fit into a character limit.

Google docs was that answer.

Of course editing it after the fact would be massively dishonest and if you could prove that this could happen then you should be awarded the win based off of that alone. But pragmatically? There's not a lot to gain strategically from editing your case, short of adding in whole new arguments which makes it painfully obvious that you're cheating. Idealistically? No one is going to want to cheat in an online debate that badly.

If you really wanted some re-assurance, if they use it, take a screen shot of every page before you post a round. If something suspicious were to happen, you would have evidence that he was actually cheating, thus keeping you safe.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 11:14:13 AM
At 2/9/2014 9:43:23 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I used to use Google documents for doing LD debates on here. Whenever I wrote cases for tournaments in high school, they would almost always go far past the 8k character limit. Testing them on here was a good idea to see what they could potentially run up against in a round, so I could be prepared to respond to whatever came my way. To do that though, i needed my entire case, not a shortened down one that would fit into a character limit.

Google docs was that answer.

Of course editing it after the fact would be massively dishonest and if you could prove that this could happen then you should be awarded the win based off of that alone. But pragmatically? There's not a lot to gain strategically from editing your case, short of adding in whole new arguments which makes it painfully obvious that you're cheating. Idealistically? No one is going to want to cheat in an online debate that badly.

If you really wanted some re-assurance, if they use it, take a screen shot of every page before you post a round. If something suspicious were to happen, you would have evidence that he was actually cheating, thus keeping you safe.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did take screen shots and downloaded the original file he uploaded as well. But I don't think my opponent was being dishonest. However, I could see other people editing the document which is why I brought it up. From my experience, people have cheated. For what purpose and gain? I don't know considering there are no grand benefits for winning these debates.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc