Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Model U.S. Congress

progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 8:30:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is an interesting idea I came up with on the spur of a moment, and couldn't help but share with you all in the hope that it could gain traction.

Suffice it to say, Congress has been a massive dud. The 112th Congress was literally the least productive in history. I highly doubt all of us would agree on the causes, so I won't even go there for the moment. My point is this: we can do better. Indeed, people of a plethora of political persuasions find refuge in DDO, and I'd say we all tend to get along pretty well (I know there are exceptions--no need to go there!).

So, what I'd like to set up is a group of people who will debate the most pressing issues of the day as they unfold--or, during dull times, we could go back to issues of the past--in the hope that we could uncover some type of deal.

Rules:
1. I'd like to get about 12 people in total for this--5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 2 Independent/Other, though we could play around with these figures. Judges, arbiters, designated voters and mediators would also be helpful.
2. Obviously, civility is key.
3. Sources!
4. Some of these issues, I imagine, would be best settled in a debate format. Two people could decide, for instance, that they'll vote on a resolution in accordance with the outcome of their debate. Be creative.

So, who would be interest in partaking in this? Hopefully I'm not being crazy in suggesting it.
imabench
Posts: 21,220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 8:45:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 8:30:25 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
This is an interesting idea I came up with on the spur of a moment, and couldn't help but share with you all in the hope that it could gain traction.

Suffice it to say, Congress has been a massive dud. The 112th Congress was literally the least productive in history. I highly doubt all of us would agree on the causes, so I won't even go there for the moment. My point is this: we can do better. Indeed, people of a plethora of political persuasions find refuge in DDO, and I'd say we all tend to get along pretty well (I know there are exceptions--no need to go there!).

So, what I'd like to set up is a group of people who will debate the most pressing issues of the day as they unfold--or, during dull times, we could go back to issues of the past--in the hope that we could uncover some type of deal.

Rules:
1. I'd like to get about 12 people in total for this--5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 2 Independent/Other, though we could play around with these figures. Judges, arbiters, designated voters and mediators would also be helpful.
2. Obviously, civility is key.
3. Sources!
4. Some of these issues, I imagine, would be best settled in a debate format. Two people could decide, for instance, that they'll vote on a resolution in accordance with the outcome of their debate. Be creative.


So, who would be interest in partaking in this? Hopefully I'm not being crazy in suggesting it.

ok 1) When has Congress ever been civil?
2) Is this just some way to get people to debate over certain topics or is there some other goal here that im missing here?
3) How is this is even related to Congress? Again, I dont see the connection.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 8:46:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'll be an independent.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 8:47:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 8:46:53 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
I'll be an independent.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 9:08:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 8:45:39 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/9/2014 8:30:25 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
This is an interesting idea I came up with on the spur of a moment, and couldn't help but share with you all in the hope that it could gain traction.

Suffice it to say, Congress has been a massive dud. The 112th Congress was literally the least productive in history. I highly doubt all of us would agree on the causes, so I won't even go there for the moment. My point is this: we can do better. Indeed, people of a plethora of political persuasions find refuge in DDO, and I'd say we all tend to get along pretty well (I know there are exceptions--no need to go there!).

So, what I'd like to set up is a group of people who will debate the most pressing issues of the day as they unfold--or, during dull times, we could go back to issues of the past--in the hope that we could uncover some type of deal.

Rules:
1. I'd like to get about 12 people in total for this--5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 2 Independent/Other, though we could play around with these figures. Judges, arbiters, designated voters and mediators would also be helpful.
2. Obviously, civility is key.
3. Sources!
4. Some of these issues, I imagine, would be best settled in a debate format. Two people could decide, for instance, that they'll vote on a resolution in accordance with the outcome of their debate. Be creative.


So, who would be interest in partaking in this? Hopefully I'm not being crazy in suggesting it.

ok 1) When has Congress ever been civil?
2) Is this just some way to get people to debate over certain topics or is there some other goal here that im missing here?
3) How is this is even related to Congress? Again, I dont see the connection.

1. Well, you could make the case that Congress has never been civil if we're using it as an absolute term. But, vis-a-vis Congress today, it has been civil historically--yes, Strom Thurman filibustering the Civil Rights Act for 24 hours wasn't civil, but hopefully we can look past that. I'd like to think that we can achieve a higher standard.

2. Debating over certain topics is a goal, I'd say. Frankly, the overarching premise that I'd like to convey is that a group of intelligent, sensible people should be able to hash out these issues.

3. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of or participated in Model UN or something of the sort. Essentially, this would be exactly like that, though a microcosm of it since we couldn't possibly find enough people to replicate the actual Congress.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 5:40:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/9/2014 8:30:25 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
This is an interesting idea I came up with on the spur of a moment, and couldn't help but share with you all in the hope that it could gain traction.

Suffice it to say, Congress has been a massive dud. The 112th Congress was literally the least productive in history. I highly doubt all of us would agree on the causes, so I won't even go there for the moment. My point is this: we can do better. Indeed, people of a plethora of political persuasions find refuge in DDO, and I'd say we all tend to get along pretty well (I know there are exceptions--no need to go there!).

So, what I'd like to set up is a group of people who will debate the most pressing issues of the day as they unfold--or, during dull times, we could go back to issues of the past--in the hope that we could uncover some type of deal.

Rules:
1. I'd like to get about 12 people in total for this--5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 2 Independent/Other, though we could play around with these figures. Judges, arbiters, designated voters and mediators would also be helpful.
2. Obviously, civility is key.
3. Sources!
4. Some of these issues, I imagine, would be best settled in a debate format. Two people could decide, for instance, that they'll vote on a resolution in accordance with the outcome of their debate. Be creative.


So, who would be interest in partaking in this? Hopefully I'm not being crazy in suggesting it.

Interested but not quite hooked yet. I saw you used Model UN as an example above.

How would this model Congress work out? How would this Congress function? Would there be committees? Caucuses? Also 12 people is an even amount which leaves room for ties. Shouldn't there be an uneven number of independents?

Also be it noted that no other Congress in United States history has had to deal with as many bills or laws. Remember even cutting a tree down in your own backyard requires a permit. To try and say, it is the least productive Congress is to ignore the extent in which society has become politicized. From what I have observed there is nothing in this country that is not politicized. Versus the last two centuries where many things were not politicized at all.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
lannan13
Posts: 23,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 7:27:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'd like to have a go at it. I do Model UN and Student Congress.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:34:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 5:40:57 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/9/2014 8:30:25 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
This is an interesting idea I came up with on the spur of a moment, and couldn't help but share with you all in the hope that it could gain traction.

Suffice it to say, Congress has been a massive dud. The 112th Congress was literally the least productive in history. I highly doubt all of us would agree on the causes, so I won't even go there for the moment. My point is this: we can do better. Indeed, people of a plethora of political persuasions find refuge in DDO, and I'd say we all tend to get along pretty well (I know there are exceptions--no need to go there!).

So, what I'd like to set up is a group of people who will debate the most pressing issues of the day as they unfold--or, during dull times, we could go back to issues of the past--in the hope that we could uncover some type of deal.

Rules:
1. I'd like to get about 12 people in total for this--5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 2 Independent/Other, though we could play around with these figures. Judges, arbiters, designated voters and mediators would also be helpful.
2. Obviously, civility is key.
3. Sources!
4. Some of these issues, I imagine, would be best settled in a debate format. Two people could decide, for instance, that they'll vote on a resolution in accordance with the outcome of their debate. Be creative.


So, who would be interest in partaking in this? Hopefully I'm not being crazy in suggesting it.

Interested but not quite hooked yet. I saw you used Model UN as an example above.

How would this model Congress work out? How would this Congress function? Would there be committees? Caucuses? Also 12 people is an even amount which leaves room for ties. Shouldn't there be an uneven number of independents?

Also be it noted that no other Congress in United States history has had to deal with as many bills or laws. Remember even cutting a tree down in your own backyard requires a permit. To try and say, it is the least productive Congress is to ignore the extent in which society has become politicized. From what I have observed there is nothing in this country that is not politicized. Versus the last two centuries where many things were not politicized at all.

I didn't consider committees or caucuses. It's certainly something we could do if there's enough support for it, and it may be a bit more organized than a free-for-all. I'm certainly open to suggestions. My idea for how we could do this, at least initially, was to have a discussion thread in the politics thread followed by a vote, and in the process, we may need to hold debates--I would imagine with short argument deadlines, but again, that's dependent of a lot of other variables--to solidify support.

That's a fair point on independents. The logic was, Democrats and Republicans would tend to vote 5-5, and the independents would likely be swayed to one side. It almost provides an incentive for, say, a libertarian-leaning Democrat to draw in a Rand Paul libertarian. Honestly though, we could extend the independent count if there's enough interest. It would probably even be helpful to have an odd number to prevent a tie, though I'm almost inclined to think that the real fun comes with resolving a stalemate.

I agree with your assessment, also, but I was going off the number of bills that were passed in the recent Congress. In spite of their immense obligations, the last Congress passed fewer bills than every Congress before them--I think the figure was 65.
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:35:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 7:27:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I'd like to have a go at it. I do Model UN and Student Congress.

Excellent. Which side would you want to be on?
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:53:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 9:34:59 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 5:40:57 AM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/9/2014 8:30:25 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
This is an interesting idea I came up with on the spur of a moment, and couldn't help but share with you all in the hope that it could gain traction.

Suffice it to say, Congress has been a massive dud. The 112th Congress was literally the least productive in history. I highly doubt all of us would agree on the causes, so I won't even go there for the moment. My point is this: we can do better. Indeed, people of a plethora of political persuasions find refuge in DDO, and I'd say we all tend to get along pretty well (I know there are exceptions--no need to go there!).

So, what I'd like to set up is a group of people who will debate the most pressing issues of the day as they unfold--or, during dull times, we could go back to issues of the past--in the hope that we could uncover some type of deal.

Rules:
1. I'd like to get about 12 people in total for this--5 Democrats, 5 Republicans, and 2 Independent/Other, though we could play around with these figures. Judges, arbiters, designated voters and mediators would also be helpful.
2. Obviously, civility is key.
3. Sources!
4. Some of these issues, I imagine, would be best settled in a debate format. Two people could decide, for instance, that they'll vote on a resolution in accordance with the outcome of their debate. Be creative.


So, who would be interest in partaking in this? Hopefully I'm not being crazy in suggesting it.

Interested but not quite hooked yet. I saw you used Model UN as an example above.

How would this model Congress work out? How would this Congress function? Would there be committees? Caucuses? Also 12 people is an even amount which leaves room for ties. Shouldn't there be an uneven number of independents?

Also be it noted that no other Congress in United States history has had to deal with as many bills or laws. Remember even cutting a tree down in your own backyard requires a permit. To try and say, it is the least productive Congress is to ignore the extent in which society has become politicized. From what I have observed there is nothing in this country that is not politicized. Versus the last two centuries where many things were not politicized at all.

I didn't consider committees or caucuses. It's certainly something we could do if there's enough support for it, and it may be a bit more organized than a free-for-all. I'm certainly open to suggestions. My idea for how we could do this, at least initially, was to have a discussion thread in the politics thread followed by a vote, and in the process, we may need to hold debates--I would imagine with short argument deadlines, but again, that's dependent of a lot of other variables--to solidify support.

That's a fair point on independents. The logic was, Democrats and Republicans would tend to vote 5-5, and the independents would likely be swayed to one side. It almost provides an incentive for, say, a libertarian-leaning Democrat to draw in a Rand Paul libertarian. Honestly though, we could extend the independent count if there's enough interest. It would probably even be helpful to have an odd number to prevent a tie, though I'm almost inclined to think that the real fun comes with resolving a stalemate.

I agree with your assessment, also, but I was going off the number of bills that were passed in the recent Congress. In spite of their immense obligations, the last Congress passed fewer bills than every Congress before them--I think the figure was 65.

Count me in as a Republican. You should call it the DDO Congress and gather a list together of those who are interested so far(post it on this thread).
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 3:46:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm glad to see that there's so much interest. DDO Congress sounds like a great idea. I'll change it to that as soon as we begin in the Politics section, or if we start a new topic before then.

The only point I'd make about adding another independent--and I'm not opposed to doing it--is I think the ties are, honesty, what the point of all this is. Moreover, what's stopping someone who leans one way from registering as an independent to sway the vote? I'm not suggesting that anyone here would do that, but it's something to consider.

Current sign-up list is below. From this point, if you'd like to sign up, please quote this post and add your name to the list.

Also, Iannan13 didn't post his party, but his profile says Republican, so I think that's the obvious place to put him.

Democrats
1. progressivedem22
2.
3.
4.
5.

Republicans
1. Iannan13
2. Tophatdoc
3. ararmer1919
4.
5.

Independents (For now, we'll say 3-5, depending on interest)
1. ClassicRobert
2. Noumena
3.

I almost feel inclined to recruit some Democrats at this point, haha.
ararmer1919
Posts: 362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 10:52:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
A good point about the a third independent. I think just 12 is a good idea seeing as to how it would force one party to put forth more effort to convince 1 or more of the opposing parties members to join thier side in order to win.
Romanii
Posts: 4,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 1:53:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 3:46:39 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
I'm glad to see that there's so much interest. DDO Congress sounds like a great idea. I'll change it to that as soon as we begin in the Politics section, or if we start a new topic before then.

The only point I'd make about adding another independent--and I'm not opposed to doing it--is I think the ties are, honesty, what the point of all this is. Moreover, what's stopping someone who leans one way from registering as an independent to sway the vote? I'm not suggesting that anyone here would do that, but it's something to consider.

Current sign-up list is below. From this point, if you'd like to sign up, please quote this post and add your name to the list.

Also, Iannan13 didn't post his party, but his profile says Republican, so I think that's the obvious place to put him.

Democrats
1. progressivedem22
2.
3.
4.
5.

Republicans
1. Iannan13
2. Tophatdoc
3. ararmer1919
4.
5.

Independents (For now, we'll say 3-5, depending on interest)
1. ClassicRobert
2. Noumena
3. Romanii


I almost feel inclined to recruit some Democrats at this point, haha.
lannan13
Posts: 23,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:26:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 9:35:34 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 7:27:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I'd like to have a go at it. I do Model UN and Student Congress.

Excellent. Which side would you want to be on?

What do you mean which side? I usually prefer Student Congress over Model UN since Student Congress is a lot more realistic.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:39:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 7:26:07 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 9:35:34 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 7:27:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I'd like to have a go at it. I do Model UN and Student Congress.

Excellent. Which side would you want to be on?

What do you mean which side? I usually prefer Student Congress over Model UN since Student Congress is a lot more realistic.

Which side as in which party.
lannan13
Posts: 23,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 7:39:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 7:39:05 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/11/2014 7:26:07 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 9:35:34 AM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 7:27:34 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I'd like to have a go at it. I do Model UN and Student Congress.

Excellent. Which side would you want to be on?

What do you mean which side? I usually prefer Student Congress over Model UN since Student Congress is a lot more realistic.

Which side as in which party.

Conservative, Tea Party (republican)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 1:11:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, we need a few more people for this to began--particularly Democrats--so I highly encourage you all to start mass-PM'ing this topic, haha.

Also, the sooner we complete the signups, the sooner we can begin to discuss and vote on the rules--e.g., will there will be a filibuster, how many people are needed to break it, will we have caucuses, committees, majority/minority leaders, etc.
Tophatdoc
Posts: 534
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 1:20:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 1:11:42 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
So, we need a few more people for this to began--particularly Democrats--so I highly encourage you all to start mass-PM'ing this topic, haha.

Also, the sooner we complete the signups, the sooner we can begin to discuss and vote on the rules--e.g., will there will be a filibuster, how many people are needed to break it, will we have caucuses, committees, majority/minority leaders, etc.

Has anyone else joined? I am curious, is this DDO Congress thing happening or was it just for something for us to get excited about? But most likely will not happen.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 1:25:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/12/2014 1:20:44 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/11/2014 1:11:42 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
So, we need a few more people for this to began--particularly Democrats--so I highly encourage you all to start mass-PM'ing this topic, haha.

Also, the sooner we complete the signups, the sooner we can begin to discuss and vote on the rules--e.g., will there will be a filibuster, how many people are needed to break it, will we have caucuses, committees, majority/minority leaders, etc.

Has anyone else joined? I am curious, is this DDO Congress thing happening or was it just for something for us to get excited about? But most likely will not happen.

I have every intention for it to happen. We just need more people.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 1:45:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/12/2014 1:25:58 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/12/2014 1:20:44 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/11/2014 1:11:42 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
So, we need a few more people for this to began--particularly Democrats--so I highly encourage you all to start mass-PM'ing this topic, haha.

Also, the sooner we complete the signups, the sooner we can begin to discuss and vote on the rules--e.g., will there will be a filibuster, how many people are needed to break it, will we have caucuses, committees, majority/minority leaders, etc.

Has anyone else joined? I am curious, is this DDO Congress thing happening or was it just for something for us to get excited about? But most likely will not happen.

I have every intention for it to happen. We just need more people.

I want to be on the republican ticket. If your desperate for democrats I'm willing to take on a new persona.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 1:49:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/12/2014 1:25:58 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/12/2014 1:20:44 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/11/2014 1:11:42 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
So, we need a few more people for this to began--particularly Democrats--so I highly encourage you all to start mass-PM'ing this topic, haha.

Also, the sooner we complete the signups, the sooner we can begin to discuss and vote on the rules--e.g., will there will be a filibuster, how many people are needed to break it, will we have caucuses, committees, majority/minority leaders, etc.

Has anyone else joined? I am curious, is this DDO Congress thing happening or was it just for something for us to get excited about? But most likely will not happen.

I have every intention for it to happen. We just need more people.

Actually screw it. Put me on the Democrat side. I've already given myself an agenda to insure I'll fully support liberal policies.
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 2:16:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/12/2014 1:49:40 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 2/12/2014 1:25:58 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/12/2014 1:20:44 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/11/2014 1:11:42 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
So, we need a few more people for this to began--particularly Democrats--so I highly encourage you all to start mass-PM'ing this topic, haha.

Also, the sooner we complete the signups, the sooner we can begin to discuss and vote on the rules--e.g., will there will be a filibuster, how many people are needed to break it, will we have caucuses, committees, majority/minority leaders, etc.

Has anyone else joined? I am curious, is this DDO Congress thing happening or was it just for something for us to get excited about? But most likely will not happen.

I have every intention for it to happen. We just need more people.

Actually screw it. Put me on the Democrat side. I've already given myself an agenda to insure I'll fully support liberal policies.

Oh geez, haha. Sounds good to me! Welcome to Team Democrat!

So we need 3 more Democrats and 1 more Republican to begin -- if we manage to find 4 Democrats, you should join the GOP.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 2:28:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/12/2014 2:16:23 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/12/2014 1:49:40 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 2/12/2014 1:25:58 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
At 2/12/2014 1:20:44 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/11/2014 1:11:42 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
So, we need a few more people for this to began--particularly Democrats--so I highly encourage you all to start mass-PM'ing this topic, haha.

Also, the sooner we complete the signups, the sooner we can begin to discuss and vote on the rules--e.g., will there will be a filibuster, how many people are needed to break it, will we have caucuses, committees, majority/minority leaders, etc.

Has anyone else joined? I am curious, is this DDO Congress thing happening or was it just for something for us to get excited about? But most likely will not happen.

I have every intention for it to happen. We just need more people.

Actually screw it. Put me on the Democrat side. I've already given myself an agenda to insure I'll fully support liberal policies.

Oh geez, haha. Sounds good to me! Welcome to Team Democrat!

So we need 3 more Democrats and 1 more Republican to begin -- if we manage to find 4 Democrats, you should join the GOP.

That would be awesome. Please no accusations of flip flopping by my opponents though.
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 9:56:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Any luck in finding interested people, anyone? If we don't manage to find enough in, say, the next few days, I think we may want to consider reducing the figures to 3 Democrats/3 Republicans/3 Independents, and then adding more people as we go. Just an idea. I do intend for this to actually happen, but it's a bit difficult with our current numbers.
Romanii
Posts: 4,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 10:48:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Democrats
1. progressivedem22
2. Wylted
3.
4.
5.

Republicans
1. Iannan13
2. Tophatdoc
3. ararmer1919
4.
5.

Independents (For now, we'll say 3-5, depending on interest)
1. ClassicRobert
2. Noumena
3. Romanii
Romanii
Posts: 4,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 10:48:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/12/2014 9:56:09 PM, progressivedem22 wrote:
Any luck in finding interested people, anyone? If we don't manage to find enough in, say, the next few days, I think we may want to consider reducing the figures to 3 Democrats/3 Republicans/3 Independents, and then adding more people as we go. Just an idea. I do intend for this to actually happen, but it's a bit difficult with our current numbers.

All you have to do is bump it every once in a while.
progressivedem22
Posts: 1,304
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2014 6:44:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Good idea. My worry is that it will take us too long to find more people, though, and the participants we already have will back out on the belief that this will never happen.