Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Your kidding me right?

Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 6:00:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 5:58:57 AM, legodude1234 wrote:
Is grammar really everything on this site? Than if it is you must be kidding? lol

Then*
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Defro
Posts: 847
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 8:17:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
No. Spelling and grammar only get's you 1 out of the 7 potential points you can get per vote. There fore grammar is certainly not everything, but 1/7 of everything.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:56:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The reason grammar counts is that errors put an additional burden on the opponent and the debate readers to figure out what the debater was trying to say. Voters usually ignore trivial errors that don't distract from the flow of the writing. It's something.
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,092
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:17:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
*You're
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:24:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 9:56:00 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The reason grammar counts is that errors put an additional burden on the opponent and the debate readers to figure out what the debater was trying to say. Voters usually ignore trivial errors that don't distract from the flow of the writing. It's something.

I think he's referring to how some people (one of those being me) complaining about his paragraphs in forums that have so many errors its confusing to read.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,092
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:27:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 4:24:43 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 9:56:00 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The reason grammar counts is that errors put an additional burden on the opponent and the debate readers to figure out what the debater was trying to say. Voters usually ignore trivial errors that don't distract from the flow of the writing. It's something.

I think he's referring to how some people (one of those being me) complaining about his paragraphs in forums that have so many errors its confusing to read.

*it's
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
cybertron1998
Posts: 5,818
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:29:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 4:27:31 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 2/10/2014 4:24:43 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 9:56:00 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The reason grammar counts is that errors put an additional burden on the opponent and the debate readers to figure out what the debater was trying to say. Voters usually ignore trivial errors that don't distract from the flow of the writing. It's something.

I think he's referring to how some people (one of those being me) complaining about his paragraphs in forums that have so many errors its confusing to read.

*it's

Grammaticaly, that's not a sentence my friend.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,092
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:30:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 4:29:09 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 4:27:31 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 2/10/2014 4:24:43 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 9:56:00 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The reason grammar counts is that errors put an additional burden on the opponent and the debate readers to figure out what the debater was trying to say. Voters usually ignore trivial errors that don't distract from the flow of the writing. It's something.

I think he's referring to how some people (one of those being me) complaining about his paragraphs in forums that have so many errors its confusing to read.

*it's

Grammaticaly, that's not a sentence my friend.

It wasn't meant to be a sentence, simply a correction.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 12:01:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 5:58:57 AM, legodude1234 wrote:
Is grammar really everything on this site? Than if it is you must be kidding? lol

"In forums" people will use grammar against you to dismiss and marginalize you as human being, denigrate you, insult your intelligence, you name it. The is no limit to how far people will go, especially if they are losing an argument or your opinion differs from theirs. I use grammar attacks upon me as the first indicator of winning an argument. It's a classic debate tactic "Redirect" and make the subject about you instead of the topic or question. There really is no reason to bring it up in a forum other than to insult your intelligence and to generally to just be condescending. But in a debate, grammar counts. But the person who would attack your grammar in a forum won't mention it or say anything about it in a debate for fear they will lose conduct votes.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
XLAV
Posts: 13,719
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 6:43:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 5:58:57 AM, legodude1234 wrote:
Is grammar really everything on this site? Than if it is you must be kidding? lol

Grammar is everything.

Readers will not understand you if you have this kind of grammar.
http://www.debate.org...
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 9:35:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 6:00:15 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/10/2014 5:58:57 AM, legodude1234 wrote:
Is grammar really everything on this site? Than if it is you must be kidding? lol

Then*
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Jonbonbon
Posts: 2,763
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 9:36:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 4:27:31 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 2/10/2014 4:24:43 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 2/10/2014 9:56:00 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The reason grammar counts is that errors put an additional burden on the opponent and the debate readers to figure out what the debater was trying to say. Voters usually ignore trivial errors that don't distract from the flow of the writing. It's something.

I think he's referring to how some people (one of those being me) complaining about his paragraphs in forums that have so many errors its confusing to read.

*it's
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 9:53:57 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 12:01:21 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/10/2014 5:58:57 AM, legodude1234 wrote:
Is grammar really everything on this site? Than if it is you must be kidding? lol

"In forums" people will use grammar against you to dismiss and marginalize you ...

Good point. In a forum, the only question ought to be whether the person can be understood. Things like its > it's and your > you're are too trivial to merit complaint.
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.
Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:03:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

Yer really gonna get mad about that? But by telling us that, yer just asking for trouble.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:05:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

If anything, I'd say yer really gutsy for admitting something that gets yer panties in a twist on the internet where yer gonna get trolled.

http://i.imgur.com...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:05:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 10:03:32 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

Yer really gonna get mad about that? But by telling us that, yer just asking for trouble.

*punches Zaradi in the shoulder hard enough to make a point, but in a friendly sort of way*

lol
Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:05:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 10:05:17 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/11/2014 10:03:32 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

Yer really gonna get mad about that? But by telling us that, yer just asking for trouble.

*punches Zaradi in the shoulder hard enough to make a point, but in a friendly sort of way*

lol

Wow you think I'm gonna stop because of yer little love tap? Yer more dense than I thought :P
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:06:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 10:05:17 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

If anything, I'd say yer really gutsy for admitting something that gets yer panties in a twist on the internet where yer gonna get trolled.

http://i.imgur.com...

The fact that you took the time to make a meme about my pet peeve is kind of funny, actually.
Tsar of DDO
Zaradi
Posts: 14,127
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:06:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 10:06:21 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/11/2014 10:05:17 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

If anything, I'd say yer really gutsy for admitting something that gets yer panties in a twist on the internet where yer gonna get trolled.

http://i.imgur.com...

The fact that you took the time to make a meme about my pet peeve is kind of funny, actually.

Yer really impressed by that? It took me like five seconds xD
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:11:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

Haha, "strawberry blonde"? that is a first.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:12:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 10:11:38 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

Haha, "strawberry blonde"? that is a first.

It's Noumena.
Tsar of DDO
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:17:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/10/2014 5:58:57 AM, legodude1234 wrote:
Is grammar really everything on this site? Than if it is you must be kidding? lol

In life, grammar also matters, so think of this as another way of being educated. And what I mean by life is, if you try to communicate with other people with improper grammar, of course they are not going to be able to understand your point of view or whatever may be the case. It is urgent that we educate ourselves to have formal conversations where others can understand. To be honest, my grammar is actually not the greatest, but I try. I do not mind being corrected either because it helps me better in what I lack in. So don't look at grammar here on DDO as a negative stance, rather a way of being educated and learned. Eventually you will become a professional in grammar whether through writing or your speech and you will be thankful for the neat things such as DDO in helping with that. Just some words to ponder on. :)
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
GodChoosesLife
Posts: 3,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:17:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 10:12:09 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/11/2014 10:11:38 AM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

Haha, "strawberry blonde"? that is a first.

It's Noumena.

Ooooooooo I see... lol
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 12:35:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 10:05:55 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2014 10:05:17 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/11/2014 10:03:32 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 2/11/2014 9:56:08 AM, YYW wrote:
My only pet peeve is when a certain (former ginger, now strawberry blonde) posts "yer" instead of "your" or "you're."

It's not a big deal, though.

Yer really gonna get mad about that? But by telling us that, yer just asking for trouble.

*punches Zaradi in the shoulder hard enough to make a point, but in a friendly sort of way*

lol

Wow you think I'm gonna stop because of yer little love tap? Yer more dense than I thought :P

http://www.reactiongifs.com...
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:11:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 9:53:57 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 2/11/2014 12:01:21 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/10/2014 5:58:57 AM, legodude1234 wrote:
Is grammar really everything on this site? Than if it is you must be kidding? lol

"In forums" people will use grammar against you to dismiss and marginalize you ...

Good point. In a forum, the only question ought to be whether the person can be understood. Things like its > it's and your > you're are too trivial to merit complaint.

Ya, after about a year I picked up on the "Be super polite in debates" and "Rip peoples character" in the forums. I like debating in the forums much more. People don't act phony like they do in debates. You know right away whether people are interested in dialog and what you have to say or are on a character assassination witch hunt because you said something they don't like or have a different view point than them. You get to know the real person and what they really think, not the phony prepared and edited speeches and rebuttals they give in debates.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 8:45:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 4:11:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ya, after about a year I picked up on the "Be super polite in debates" and "Rip peoples character" in the forums.

The site rules still apply in the forums, and they forbid personal attacks. However, there is no site rule about grammar; that's only for the debates. Character attacks drive people away from the site, especially (a) new debaters and (b) civilized people seeking intelligent life forms. The site needs both (a) and (b).

I like debating in the forums much more. People don't act phony like they do in debates. You know right away whether people are interested in dialog and what you have to say or are on a character assassination witch hunt because you said something they don't like or have a different view point than them. You get to know the real person and what they really think, not the phony prepared and edited speeches and rebuttals they give in debates.

That's social networking with a small infusion of debate. I don't have a problem with that so long as it doesn't spoil the site as a place to debate, which means as long as it's civilized. As a debate mechanism, forum chats have the major problem that people just ignore whatever they cannot rebut, and they feel little need to check facts. They cite their feelings as facts. And derailing the thread is a proven way to escape.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 3:56:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 2/11/2014 8:45:02 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 2/11/2014 4:11:11 PM, sadolite wrote:

Ya, after about a year I picked up on the "Be super polite in debates" and "Rip peoples character" in the forums.

The site rules still apply in the forums, and they forbid personal attacks. However, there is no site rule about grammar; that's only for the debates. Character attacks drive people away from the site, especially (a) new debaters and (b) civilized people seeking intelligent life forms. The site needs both (a) and (b).

I like debating in the forums much more. People don't act phony like they do in debates. You know right away whether people are interested in dialog and what you have to say or are on a character assassination witch hunt because you said something they don't like or have a different view point than them. You get to know the real person and what they really think, not the phony prepared and edited speeches and rebuttals they give in debates.

That's social networking with a small infusion of debate. I don't have a problem with that so long as it doesn't spoil the site as a place to debate, which means as long as it's civilized. As a debate mechanism, forum chats have the major problem that people just ignore whatever they cannot rebut, and they feel little need to check facts. They cite their feelings as facts. And derailing the thread is a proven way to escape.

Those are the precise reasons I like the forums, when people get cornered they do all the things you say. Which means they are unsure of their views and positions and they are largely based on emotion and feeling. That is how I know their true position and why they hold it. Feelings, emotion and indoctrination, not logic, fact or results.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%